Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Lol and I gave U checks, and they also fit well in rain.

Grass types are the way to go vs Swift Swimmers.
Not gonna lie most are pretty ass checks to rain and pretty specific upon what they can check. Loom does pretty good vs Kabu + Swamp + Star , but gets raped by Kingdra. MVenu uses the slot and still raped by Kingdra. Celebi is pretty decent if anything .

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Energy Ball Mega ala can't switch in but it deals heavy damage with trace swift swim. Helps offence's matchup vs it while also checking sand.

Beyond this, Ferro is the bane of rain. Specifically, T Wave+Power Whip cause it can KO Kabu while crippling Kingdra.

Making a new thread cos it offended the eyes of a particular global mod and we wouldn't want that sort of thing now would we?
Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (ORAS)

If you're thinking of making a topic that can be answered with one post, please post it here instead. New threads should be for discussion! Please note that all questions here are for ORAS-related questions. If you have a question about Pokemon in general, ask it in the Global SQSA thread.

When posting in this thread, follow the following guidelines:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
  2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
  3. At least do a simple google search before asking the question here.
  4. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.
  5. Remember that in-game questions should be asked in Orange Islands, specifically in this thread.
how do people get notiched to become voiced?
New type match-up chart.
Gen 6 IVs calculator.
Mentorship Forum for new users to get acquainted with Smogon

FAQ

Where can I find the Evolution Stones

-You can get the evolution stones from secret super training

SHINY NEW RULE!

If you want something suspected (because its broken, or ur sick of something 6-0ing you), kindly go PM user AM with all your troubles, needs, and solutions. Make sure its a really good argument or you won't get anywhere with him (for instance, the argument "too cute for OU" is unlikely to be successful). Or you can just bribe him, whatever floats your boat I guess.
Making a new thread cos it offended the eyes of a particular global mod and we wouldn't want that sort of thing now would we?
Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (ORAS)

If you're thinking of making a topic that can be answered with one post, please post it here instead. New threads should be for discussion! Please note that all questions here are for ORAS-related questions. If you have a question about Pokemon in general, ask it in the Global SQSA thread.

When posting in this thread, follow the following guidelines:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
  2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
  3. At least do a simple google search before asking the question here.
  4. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.
  5. Remember that in-game questions should be asked in Orange Islands, specifically in this thread.

New type match-up chart.
Gen 6 IVs calculator.
Mentorship Forum for new users to get acquainted with Smogon

FAQ

Where can I find the Evolution Stones

-You can get the evolution stones from secret super training

SHINY NEW RULE!

If you want something suspected (because its broken, or ur sick of something 6-0ing you), kindly go PM user AM with all your troubles, needs, and solutions. Make sure its a really good argument or you won't get anywhere with him (for instance, the argument "too cute for OU" is unlikely to be successful). Or you can just bribe him, whatever floats your boat I guess.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
How often do banned pokemon return to their tier? (for example Ubers -> OU, BL -> UU, etc).
Not very often for Ubers. Those require huge metagame shifts usually brought upon by a new generation, such as some sort of nerf (i.e Team Preview in Gen 5 let Wobbuffet back in, weather nerf in Gen 6 brought back Excadrill, Tornadus-T, etc.) or power creep making them relatively less powerful (Latis dropping down in Gen 5).

Can't speak for the BLs because I don't play lower tiers, but I assume it's similar.

How often do banned pokemon return to their tier? (for example Ubers -> OU, BL -> UU, etc).
I miss Mawile my bae D:

Anyway Karxrida explained about Ubers, they are having a tournament right now at UU, some BLs like Staraptor are going to drop after the tour.

I want to start playing again on the smogon simulator and need some help. How well does the battle simulator work, first of all?

A few questions to start:

Is stalling a viable strategy in the current generation? If so, what are some good pokemon/moves/items to use?

If not, what's another viable strategy/team to get started with?

I know the questions are very broad and open-ended, but any constructive feedback would be appreciated. I'll be ckecking back and asking more questions based on your responses.

Thank you in advance for your time :).

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I want to start playing again on the smogon simulator and need some help. How well does the battle simulator work, first of all?
Is stalling a viable strategy in the current generation? If so, what are some good pokemon/moves/items to use?

If not, what's another viable strategy/team to get started with?

I know the questions are very broad and open-ended, but any constructive feedback would be appreciated. I'll be ckecking back and asking more questions based on your responses.

Thank you in advance for your time :).
1.) It works very well for ORAS, being basically being the best simulator for playing competitive pokemon (except for gsc lol)
2.) stall is a very nice strategy in the current metagame, and here is a good team to get started using stall: http://pastebin.com/9xU99NeJ
After you get comfortable using that team, you should visit this thread for further info on stall: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/stall-v2-week-5-poison-heal-breloom.3552629/

Does anybody know good partners/team ideas for CM reuniclus/ have a team with it they'd be willing to lend me?
Not gonna lie after extensively using Reu the Trick Room variant is the way to go. It just screws over offense so much and hits so hard. The CM variant can't break Stall as well as you'd want with its coverage

Just found a random shiny Rotom while farming them for gts, has modest nature and 5iv, missing Special Attack.

Im willing to train it and introduce it in my team (obviously the all-powerful wash form), but the modest nature in combination with a shitty sp. attack IV (2-3) makes me doubt.

What do you think, better go for a special attack oriented build or just the bulky one?

Just found a random shiny Rotom while farming them for gts, has modest nature and 5iv, missing Special Attack.

Im willing to train it and introduce it in my team (obviously the all-powerful wash form), but the modest nature in combination with a shitty sp. attack IV (2-3) makes me doubt.

What do you think, better go for a special attack oriented build or just the bulky one?
To be honest, Offensive Rotom-W really isn't all that great in OU. You're probably better off breeding for a bulkier one if you want to use it in an OU environment, though I definitely understand the feeling of wanting to use a shiny that you bred.

Does HO have the best match up against all play styles
Strictly speaking, HO has no matchup where they are at a distinct large disadvantage, as opposed to Balance or Stall; the main problem with HO is that it takes a high level of skill to even beat teams you have a good matchup against, since you have no safety net and a single fuck-up, including hax, can easily lose for you an otherwise beneficial matchup. Balance is considered the most reliable due to the fact that it has that safety net of a defensive backbone to fall on if hax happens or if one of your offensive Pokemon get lured. Balance also gets their offensive Pokemon out on the field more often and more reliably.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you want to have the safety net without going full balance bulky offense is pretty good due to it lessening the burden on its user while retaining a large chunk of what makes HO so powerful a playstyle.

Thank you for your replies guys. I've never heard of suspect testing (I quit before Smogon existed, actually), but I think I get the gist of it based on the context of your post. Stalling was always my favorite strategy (I'm Celia for those who know/have heard of me) which is kinda why I quit after gsc died, lol. Thanks for the team link and info, I'll give it a try :).

Martin

Can someone give me a good "formula" for a Offense or HO team Not utilizing a suicide lead? Thanks.
Stealth Rock user, 1+ priority users, talon check, one-to-two-pokemon bulky backbone (bulky offense), hazard clearer, anti-offense measure, anti stall measure. If you can fit that all into six team slots you should be set. Other additional things that can be used include spikers, lures and speed control options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)