Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

Am I the only one not bothered by not being able to run? You couldn't do it in the original RBY so I wasn't thrown off or anything. So far the experience has been very enjoyable, I was surprised by how much I remember.
You're definitely not. I still keep holding down B hoping something will happen. Nothing ever does though.

Karxrida

Eventide
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Did anybody with Yellow try the surfing Pikachu minigame? I heard you could play it without requiring the Surf Pikachu from Stadium.

Well considering that the games are only local multiplayer. You can always be gentlemanly about it with your partner about here.
Can be, but sadly it doesn't work that way majority of the times it seems. The local pokemon club at the college I go to had a no hacks rule, the first tourney I hosted I did a check on each team being used. About 3/4th of the people who entered had clearly hacked mons, as in ones that couldn't even be found in the locations it claimed to be from. Makes it hard to trust people.

With the re-release on Gen 1 on the VC, I've decided to give the games a spin, doing as much glitchy fun jank as I can. What are some funny things you can do that come to mind?

1) Everyone knows about the truck.
2) The Mew/any Pokemon glitch.
3) Can you catch the Tower Marowak?
4) Surfing behind Bill's House.
5) Creating hybrid Pokemon.
6) Missingno shenanigans.

I had some questions.

Just wanted to know if there was some way to generate a fossil Aerodactyl MISSINGNO in Yellow before Vermillion. I was also curious what its stats, type, and TM learnset would be.

Also, I wanted to know if I could use the Hybrid glitch to create a Dragon or Psychic type Pikachu, and if it would still follow me around after that.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Can be, but sadly it doesn't work that way majority of the times it seems. The local pokemon club at the college I go to had a no hacks rule, the first tourney I hosted I did a check on each team being used. About 3/4th of the people who entered had clearly hacked mons, as in ones that couldn't even be found in the locations it claimed to be from. Makes it hard to trust people.
Depending on which generation we're talking about, I can either guarantee that the other 1/4 used either RNGed 'mons or hacked 'mons that just weren't obvious (legitimate locations, etc.), or I can say that the 3/4 who did really didn't want to put in any effort at all. Prior to Gen VI, you were either RNGing or hacking if you wanted competitive 'mons (I guarantee you every VGC 2013 Worlds competitor used either RNGed Pokemon or hacked Pokemon capable of beating hack checks which wasn't hard to do), but Gen VI onwards, getting competitive Pokemon legitimately is so easy that there's really no excuse to be cheating. I personally have no issue facing hacked Pokemon as long as they can theoretically be obtained legally in game (which means legal moves/IVs/Pokeball etc.) and the person using them declares them as such, but this is talking in a Gen V or earlier context. However, I can understand why others might not be so comfortable with it (someone could dump months into one team only for it to get steamrolled by something someone put together in 5 minutes, etc.)

That being said, I'm friends with several admins of Streetpass groups in San Diego. They want to have a Pokemon League with the Gen I Virtual Console games, but they're thinking they'll have to allow Rare Candy cloning through Missingno glitch if they do that as there's no other good way to get your Pokemon to level 100 and there's no option to de-level everyone's Pokemon to level 50. In general, there's a legitimate reason for allowing certain glitches. It makes you kind of glad that Game Freak's made the competitive side of Pokemon more accessible without cheating/glitches in recent years.

What is this glitch? Never heard of it and I played RB back when it was new O.o
Here is how to do it in English (if it is the glitch I think it is).
It makes the glitch that allows you to fight Ganon as Young Link in Ocarina of Time look like nothing.
EDIT: Okay, it is a different glitch, but I do know it works on international Yellow, at least the original cart (should still work on VC) as I just tried it myself. It is fun to see 0:02 as the time it took to get into the Hall of Fame.

Last edited:
Jynx was originally black. It was changed to purple after a the first appearance in a U.S. showing because it appeared to reference blackface which relates back to racism and slavery in America. But in actuality it was just referencing Ganguro culture (which is effectively Japanese whiteface), and Americans think everything is about them.
That's not true. Ganguro wasn't even a thing yet at the time Jynx debuted, and even if it was, it doesn't involve them painting their faces black.

That's not true. Ganguro wasn't even a thing yet at the time Jynx debuted, and even if it was, it doesn't involve them painting their faces black.
I just looked on Wikipedia and it said it started in the early '90s and got more popular later. It is theoretically possible.
Though the level of darkness on Jynx is suspicious.

Depending on which generation we're talking about, I can either guarantee that the other 1/4 used either RNGed 'mons or hacked 'mons that just weren't obvious (legitimate locations, etc.), or I can say that the 3/4 who did really didn't want to put in any effort at all. Prior to Gen VI, you were either RNGing or hacking if you wanted competitive 'mons (I guarantee you every VGC 2013 Worlds competitor used either RNGed Pokemon or hacked Pokemon capable of beating hack checks which wasn't hard to do), but Gen VI onwards, getting competitive Pokemon legitimately is so easy that there's really no excuse to be cheating. I personally have no issue facing hacked Pokemon as long as they can theoretically be obtained legally in game (which means legal moves/IVs/Pokeball etc.) and the person using them declares them as such, but this is talking in a Gen V or earlier context. However, I can understand why others might not be so comfortable with it (someone could dump months into one team only for it to get steamrolled by something someone put together in 5 minutes, etc.)

That being said, I'm friends with several admins of Streetpass groups in San Diego. They want to have a Pokemon League with the Gen I Virtual Console games, but they're thinking they'll have to allow Rare Candy cloning through Missingno glitch if they do that as there's no other good way to get your Pokemon to level 100 and there's no option to de-level everyone's Pokemon to level 50. In general, there's a legitimate reason for allowing certain glitches. It makes you kind of glad that Game Freak's made the competitive side of Pokemon more accessible without cheating/glitches in recent years.
Gen 6 for the record. Also as someone who played Comp gen 1 when it was fresh, I found it not hard to get 100s through Chansey killing.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here is how to do it in English (if it is the glitch I think it is).
It makes the glitch that allows you to fight Ganon as Young Link in Ocarina of Time look like nothing.
EDIT: Okay, it is a different glitch, but I do know it works on international Yellow, at least the original cart (should still work on VC) as I just tried it myself. It is fun to see 0:02 as the time it took to get into the Hall of Fame.
That's the save corruption glitch. It basically messes up the savefile so that you can edit whatever you want lol, which in this case is the warppoint of the front door of your house. Dokokashira door glitch is an extension of the select glitch which was patched in the international releases. Basically, the game doesn't reset the 'select' cursor when you exit a menu, allowing players to swap things between two different menus (like an item with a move).

I think it's impossible to create a glitch free game because bug free programming is impossible for any sufficiently complex program. They could have fixed the known glitches from Gen 1 but something else would've popped up somewhere else anyway. Would glitch fixing have reduced the number of hackers? Probably. Would it have eliminated cheating? I'd say definitely not. So doing a glitch fix and hoping for a hack free experience is probably a pipe dream anyway.

Karxrida

Eventide
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is it true Mew is found as a not glitched-induced encounter in a cave now? Somebody mentioned it a page or two ago.

Might have gotten it mixed up with Mewtwo. Unless it is found in Cerulean Cave as well. I have not seen a Mew in any cave I have been in.

Missingno glitch works in Yellow; you can still do it through the Mew glitch & Cable Club escape glitch. Item duplication is possible in Yellow.
How exactly do you duplicate items in Yellow? You get Missingno. to appear through the Mew glitch, defeat it or run, and items are duplicated just like they are from battling it on Cinnabar Island's coast in R/B? Not familiar with the Cable Club escape glitch.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
How exactly do you duplicate items in Yellow? You get Missingno. to appear through the Mew glitch, defeat it or run, and items are duplicated just like they are from battling it on Cinnabar Island's coast in R/B? Not familiar with the Cable Club escape glitch.
First, make sure you have a Pokemon with a Special stat of 182 or 183. These correspond to index numbers of two Missingno formes that will both trigger item duplication and won't crash your game upon encounter (level-grinding a Pokemon at Cerulean Cave shouldn't be too much of an issue though, these Pokemon give lots of EXP). Same as with Red and Blue, you will want the item you want duplicated to be in slot #6.

Step 1. Start up Mew glitch as normal (walk up to trainer then hit Start at same time blah blah blah)
Step 2. Go battle a trainer you haven't fought yet
Step 3. Once that's done, fly to Cinnabar Island and go to Pokemon Mansion
Step 4. Go to where Ditto appears, then walk around until it does
Step 5. Switch in your Pokemon with 182 or 183 Special on Ditto as it Transforms, then defeat it
Step 6. When you go back to the route you first set up Mew glitch on, you will activate an encounter with Missingno and item #6 will be duplicated. 129 Fissure TMs Master Balls!

I think it's impossible to create a glitch free game because bug free programming is impossible for any sufficiently complex program. They could have fixed the known glitches from Gen 1 but something else would've popped up somewhere else anyway. Would glitch fixing have reduced the number of hackers? Probably. Would it have eliminated cheating? I'd say definitely not. So doing a glitch fix and hoping for a hack free experience is probably a pipe dream anyway.
A reduced number is better then nothing. ~sigh~ I will agree it is a pipe dream, but I can still dream dammit! At least, I can reasonable expect Mew Glitch Mew to not pass through bank into gen 7 what with it being event only and having preset ID/OT combo they can use as a filter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)