[DONE] KANTO CLASSIC: Post your results!

Done with all my matches for today, managed to go 20-0 undefeated both days. Cheezus rice that was exhausting. My advice to everyone is to use every advantage you can get. Timer stalling might seem lame but abuse it, abuse it like you're a drunk parent beating on his children. I won 4 matches because I timer stalled especially the last one where my opponent had a curse lax and would've swept the rest of my team. I'm really tempted not to play tomorrow and just end on a strong note, what do you guys think? I feel like I've earned a spot in the top 100 at least and I'm ok with that, I really don't feel the need to try and be top 20.
20-0, nice! Your ranking must probably be around 1750's, if not a bit more. I would have stayed as well, considering a 20-0 can definitely put you in a great position.

However, I have a feeling that Japanese players will mostly end up with 30-0/29-1/28-2, who probably are going to end the competition in Top 50-100. So, I'm pretty sure you'll be close to 100's, if not Top 100. I'm considering myself 300's with 17-3.

Vap

Vaporeon is a bigger pain than I thought it would be in this META. The ones I faced in the Master Division anyway. My son is carrying a Venusaur, so he has had not as much of an issue with it as I have.

Is this your first PGL event? I don't want it to sound like I am being negative with any of my comments.

I watch his battles and in other PGL competitions he has faced a lot of tough competition. I don't know if it is the time he is playing, but he has faced a lot of teams that are just not competitive. I would say on Day 1, 2 out of the 10 teams he faced gave him a run. On Day 2, 4 out of 10 teams gave him a run, 2 made him earn the win and 1 beat him.

Although for me in the master Division, Day 1 was definitely not as challenging as I thought it would be. Going into day 2 at 9-1 I had already set myself up to fail. I was overexcited about the potential to make Top Cut, which caused me to make errors. My opponents were in a different class though on Day 2. So many Arcanine. Arcanine is most likely my 2nd surprise Pokémon.

Top Surprise Pokémon
  1. Ditto
  2. Arcanine
  3. Vaporeon
The Skill Swap Slowbro surprised me as well.

The American Static Zapdos was a surprise, most likely 80/20 chance that was a hack.

So many shiny Pokémon. I know with TSV/ESV that shiny is not a sign of a hack, but given the timetable for this event and that it often takes days to find a matching TSV for your ESV, it was a little high on shiny.
Yes, this is my first online competition. Actually I'm now at 6-1 due to kids not trying. I bred and re-bred my Pokemon for 5IV natures, and then I face people with level 17 Charmanders. But I guess that's what you're going to get in the Junior League.
I've actually seen NO Clefable, and my Clefable is getting knocked out pretty easily, but I don't have Moonlight :/
It would be cool to make the leaderboards but I'm not sure how good I am..
Also I beat a Gengar with my Alakazam in an awesome way... I subbed, he Shadow Balled and broke the sub, I disabled and he couldn't use it, then KOd with Psyshock. xD

I had a situation where we had one Machamp left each, mine had full hp and his had about 30% remaining. I decided to use BP to not try the speed tie, fully expecting a dynamic punch, and chancing out the confusion the next turn.
I won in the end (confused and about 20% up), but should I have tried the speed tie instead? just wondering what you would have done in that place ^^

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
First match of the day (finally joining in the fun) and got rekt by some random Bulky Pidgeot running Tailwind/Hurricane/Defog/Uproar (obviously to take care of snorlax) and then swept my team with a Max Sp.Atk Alakazam running Psychic and Psyshock, ugh also every possible hax situation went even worse.

Still managed to win the next 2 games, luckily my Magneton dodged a key Heat Wave coming from yet another Pidgeot this time

Yes, this is my first online competition. Actually I'm now at 6-1 due to kids not trying. I bred and re-bred my Pokemon for 5IV natures, and then I face people with level 17 Charmanders. But I guess that's what you're going to get in the Junior League.
I've actually seen NO Clefable, and my Clefable is getting knocked out pretty easily, but I don't have Moonlight :/
It would be cool to make the leaderboards but I'm not sure how good I am..
Also I beat a Gengar with my Alakazam in an awesome way... I subbed, he Shadow Balled and broke the sub, I disabled and he couldn't use it, then KOd with Psyshock. xD
That is awesome. I did not want you to think my comments sounded like mocking.

The first tournament takes some getting use to. You can practice with friends and on Showdown, but getting up against people that don't play common sets, or what you become accustom to, is a challenge. Any unique tournament on PGL has its own learning curve.

That is awesome you are doing so well.

I always seem to do well the first day, then stumble on day 2.

I seem to be that 50/50 style player. Trying to break that hurdle of average and move into slightly above. haha

I had a situation where we had one Machamp left each, mine had full hp and his had about 30% remaining. I decided to use BP to not try the speed tie, fully expecting a dynamic punch, and chancing out the confusion the next turn.
I won in the end (confused and about 20% up), but should I have tried the speed tie instead? just wondering what you would have done in that place ^^
There's really not much you can do in that situation, but trying not to speed is probably the best bet there. I always consider bumping up my speed IVs or using a boosting nature to avoid those matchups as much as possible.

Anyway, I'm 9-1 in my first 10 matches with my only loss coming from a scumbag Fissure user. I really wish they'd consider banning this OHKO move crap. It's so cheap that it literally saps the fun right out of the game.

Not even sure if i still want to play anyway since matches can run for as much as 20 minutes per game even on the low end.

Last edited:
I perhaps would have gone with Dynamic Punch at that point due to the fact Machamps' speed differ and there is no specific set assigned to them, unlike Alakazam or Gengar, which are much easier to guess if you are going to end up with a speed tie. I.E, Timid Alakazam's both sharing 189 in speed or 182 for Gengar's case. It is most likely that Bullet Punch wouldn't kill Machamp, as all alone it does approxiamtely 20% around damage to Gengar with 0 EV invested on defense.

Possibilities play huge factor on speed ties. If you did go for Dynamic Punch that time and if luck was on your side, you could have easily won the match. If not, he could have DP'd you and end up confusing you, which you could have hit yourself with confusion and the opponent could have BP'd you. Or, you could have still won with DP'ing after being confused instead of going for x2 BP's to have a so-to-be-called safer play. It is all based on luck, really!

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
Depends on how much speed you run on your Machamp. I usually gauge how fast my opponent's Machamp is by switching my Clefable into it. If they switch out after Clefable comes in then chances are they're running min speed. If they outspeed my Clefable and go for something like poison jab/heavy slam then I know they have at least 68 speed evs since my Clefable has 8 points in speed and I won't risk the speed tie. My champ tends to be faster than most other Machamps anyway but if they outspeed my Clefable I'll do anything to avoid a speed tie scenario and outplay it. In your situation I think Dynamic Punch would've been the better play because he got a punch off on you anyway and confused you and you initially failed to kill him with the initial bullet punch. Dynamic Punch would've been the guaranteed KO and the odds are in your favor. There's a 50/50 chance of you winning a speed tie and then a 50/50 chance of you breaking through confusion and immediately killing his Machamp with dynamic punch. On the other hand, bullet punch only does 15-20% depending on whether the machamp has 172 HP evs or 252 HP evs and since you're confused it turns it into a 50/50. So in the situation where you dynamic punch his champ you basically get two checks to kill whereas in the second scenario where you bullet punch you only get one check to kill. With a crit you might kill his champ if he had 29% left but that's a maximum roll and crits are only 6% anyway. If possible, make an educated guess about whether you're faster or not and if you don't know that information make the choice that maximizes your odds.

I'm running Sub + Encore + Disable. Sub -> Shadow Ball breaks -> Disable -> Encore (Gengar's last two turns fail because Disable) -> free Sub or Psyshock while they either 1) Struggle or 2) Switch and eat Stealth Rock.
I mean, you can just outrun and Psyshock off the bat, yes, but that's not as heartless.

Went 9-1 today lost a 1on1 against Clefable that was paralyzed for 14 turns and I only got 1.
Overall, I'm 19-1 Still unsure whether I'll play tomorrow.

Day 2 report!
~ Starmie is gud and Dragonite went sub,
to me, well, ruk!" Second day was much harder, I don't know if I'll still be playing.

Top usage percentage incoming (from both days):

1° Dragonite 65% (Watch out for the Subs dragonite, your clef and slowbro might not para it!)
2° Alakazan 50% (majority has 2 Atk + Subs + Disable)
3° Slowbro 40% (The same Def bulky, becareful with subs variants)
4° Nidoking & Jolteon 35% (I battled against a full support jolteon, no damage moves, only swagger, TW, Baton pass and subs)
5° Clefable 30% (one had Magic Coat)
6° Snorlax & Arcanine 25% (damn arcanine gave me trouble, full physical atk can be danger!)
7° Vaporeon & Aerodactyl 20%

Edited: Forgot the percentage of Snorlax and arcanine

That is awesome. I did not want you to think my comments sounded like mocking.

The first tournament takes some getting use to. You can practice with friends and on Showdown, but getting up against people that don't play common sets, or what you become accustom to, is a challenge. Any unique tournament on PGL has its own learning curve.

That is awesome you are doing so well.

I always seem to do well the first day, then stumble on day 2.

I seem to be that 50/50 style player. Trying to break that hurdle of average and move into slightly above. haha
I'm doing well for now... I can't beat Sub Dragonite and other stuff
But I doubt kids are using that xD

19/26 so far,just 4 more then I'll end here

Lol I just dodge golem's explosion with just 1 minimize :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol I just dodge golem's explosion with just 1 minimize :)
"Just" one Minimize lol. As if +2 Evasion is no big thing. But how is Minimize in this meta? Lots of teams have Slax, and the vast majority of those have Body Slam. Then there's opposing Clef, which ignore your boosts.

Pokemon on cart sure are different. Not hugely so, but in 12 battles I've seen only 1 Clef, I think, and mayb two or three Slax. Arcanine seems to b more common than either of them, and DNite is on pretty much every team(interestingly enough I'm not using one, and haven't seen anyone else running a Pinsir. I've had surprising success with the bug.)

I've only lost one battle, but it shouldn't count since none of our Pokes were fainted, just my internet started acting up so I was disconnected. I've had a really weird battle where this guy would've easily won if his Machamp was normal with Dynamichpunch, but he lost cause it was a weird one with Guts and the moves Brick Break/ Ice Punch/ Thunderpunch/ Bullet Punch. The guy also got horrible luck with paralysis and such.

Well after day 3 of this...10-20, not sure where I messed up so bad along the way...but with today's I'm not sure what the heck I saw. I used psychic on a Machamp (which I've seen every of the 30 matches), but this one was able to tank a crit psychic, from yellow hp not even dropping into red, dunno what that was but I'm pretty much just playing for fun now.. but it is my first ever tournament I've tried to take serious lol

"Just" one Minimize lol. As if +2 Evasion is no big thing. But how is Minimize in this meta? Lots of teams have Slax, and the vast majority of those have Body Slam. Then there's opposing Clef, which ignore your boosts.

Pokemon on cart sure are different. Not hugely so, but in 12 battles I've seen only 1 Clef, I think, and mayb two or three Slax. Arcanine seems to b more common than either of them, and DNite is on pretty much every team(interestingly enough I'm not using one, and haven't seen anyone else running a Pinsir. I've had surprising success with the bug.)

I've only lost one battle, but it shouldn't count since none of our Pokes were fainted, just my internet started acting up so I was disconnected. I've had a really weird battle where this guy would've easily won if his Machamp was normal with Dynamichpunch, but he lost cause it was a weird one with Guts and the moves Brick Break/ Ice Punch/ Thunderpunch/ Bullet Punch. The guy also got horrible luck with paralysis and such.
Lot of peole I met don't have body slam on snorlax
They use wierd move like element punch,heavy slam,yarm...and double edge,return is understandable
Some even use rest but no sleep talk
But seaking and arcanine have slam,how funny

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
As for the "weird" sets I have met so far: Focus Miss Gengar | Uproar Pidgeot | Flamethrower Dragonite | Light Screen Zapdos | Serene Grace Chansey (w/ ice beam and Flamethrower) | Heat Wave Pidgeot | Flamethrower Clefable | Fell Stinger Beedrill | Rain Dance Electrode (with no swift swimmers on the team, didn't try to use Thunder either).

Well after day 3 of this...10-20, not sure where I messed up so bad along the way...but with today's I'm not sure what the heck I saw. I used psychic on a Machamp (which I've seen every of the 30 matches), but this one was able to tank a crit psychic, from yellow hp not even dropping into red, dunno what that was but I'm pretty much just playing for fun now.. but it is my first ever tournament I've tried to take serious lol
I've been there. It's painful to lose, especially if you spent a lot of time breeding, EV training, etc, but don't let it discourage you.

My first tour was the Pikachu cup, and it wasn't pretty...The only reason I made 21-24 was because I faced like 5-6 teams with under leveled Pokes, literally level 1 in some cases. Not to mention most of my team was freshly caught stuff, and I didn't even breed for anything other than natures back then, so honestly, it was amazing I won the matches I did.

The best you can do is ID where you went wrong and build from there. Once everyone starts posting their teams, I'm sure most here will be glad to give you some insight on what might have been the problem.

I've been there. It's painful to lose, especially if you spent a lot of time breeding, EV training, etc, but don't let it discourage you.

My first tour was the Pikachu cup, and it wasn't pretty...The only reason I made 21-24 was because I faced like 5-6 teams with under leveled Pokes, literally level 1 in some cases. Not to mention most of my team was freshly caught stuff, and I didn't even breed for anything other than natures back then, so honestly, it was amazing I won the matches I did.

The best you can do is ID where you went wrong and build from there. Once everyone starts posting their teams, I'm sure most here will be glad to give you some insight on what might have been the problem.
Alright i hope so lol, i dont mind posting it now tbh, just because i still get dragonite xD

My final stats.

Day 1: 9-1
Day 2: 5-5
Day 3: 6-4

Total: 20-10

I was at 5-0 on Day 3 when I ran into a trainer I know hacks some Pokémon. I have received his 6x31 IV shiny Deoxys over Wonder Trade. >:(

I was winning 4 - 3 when his Gengar Destiny Bond with my Snorlax, every time. I should have known it was coming. Then he Fissure'd my Clefable with his own Snorlax.

I went 1-3 after that battle. Moxie Gyarados went wild on me in my last lost of the night. I don't know how it happened really. I was controlling the battle well. Then my Snorlax Sleep Talked Rest twice in a row. If either of those 2 chances would have been a hit, I feel the battle would have went a little differently.

Last edited:
I finished 23-7, and I climbed above 1700 on my last battle for a sweet ending. A fought cool Japanese team with Raticate, Marowak and other underdog stuff which was at 1640 at the time and beat me because I didn't know their sets at all which is part of the surprise factor teams people were talking about. It was a bit annoying how long the games took, but 6v6 does add a cool new aspect to the battles with a lot of predictions.
upload_2016-3-6_2-37-21.png

My team had Dragonite and Gyarados as dual Dragon Dancer's and the main plan was to gradually weaken the opponents team, have one of Gyara or Dragonite set up and cripple the opposing physical sweeper check mid game and clear the way for the other one to sweep late game. I went with own tempo on Slowbro so it can switch in on Machamp much easier and although guts on Machamp sacrifices the amazing utility of Dynamic Punch, I used it to have something to switch in to T-waves, Will-o-wisps and Toxics. I elected to go with non rest snorlax to make the battles a little shorter and surprise opponents with the coverage. Everything else is pretty standard. My team struggled with venomoth, slowbro and zapdos but I could usually chip away gradually at them.

I'm glad to see a lot of people doing well and I loved the guide created in the Flying Press. Too bad I'd already prepared my team by the time it came out, but it was very informative with lots of tips for checking everything viable.

Attachments

Last edited:
Got involved tonight after finishing my team up. I didn't switch my Arcanine to a bulky one but otherwise I'm happy with my team. After 10 battles I finished 8-2 and am pretty happy. My fiance actually worked on the team while I tested on Showdown and made minor adjustments. For not being a competitive player her team is pretty balanced and enjoyable.

I've lost both times against Japanese players running Cloysters, Magnemites, and Clefables. I just get paranoid versus Cloysters I think, and I never encountered many Magnemites on Showdown to really know what to do against them. The first loss was me learning how to adjust to Magnemites the second was a bad paralysis roll. Otherwise I've had either neutral or beneficial hax luck in regards to Dynamic Punch, Sleep Powder, crits, and Rock Slide flinches. I literally got two flinches in a row.

I'm enjoying the no items and 6v6 meta. Its nice to also see that the original 150 aren't so broken anymore and that more 'mons are viable. I will complain about the length of battles a wee bit. 10 battles a day averaging about 15 minutes each over three days is an investment in and of itself on top of the breeding/training.

Last edited:
You've finished all your battles, right? so you can post it if you want to.

I usually wait since the thread will be a lot more active once the comp officially closes anyway.
Ehh alright why not xD.

Golem(Rock head. Was supposed to be Sturdy but didn't notice in time ;;)(Explosion, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, Earthquake)
Dragonite(Multiscale)(Dragon Dance, Aqua Tail, Dragon Claw, Earthquake)
Jolteon(Volt Absorb)(Thunderbolt, Signal Beam, Shadow Ball, Volt Switch)
Chansey(Natural Cure)(Minimize, Softboiled, Toxic, Seismic Toss)
Gyarados(Moxie)(Dragon Dance, Outrage, Ice Fang, Crunch)
Gengar(Levitate)(Shadow Ball, Psychic, Sludge Bomb, Dazzling Gleam)

I tried my best for this, but i think i should of researched more xD, any criticism helps xD (Im still glad i get the barrier dragonite <3)

So far going pretty well I'd say, ending the second day at 16W to 4L, and in the mid 1650s.
This is my first time competing in a serious tournament.
I didn't get a lot of time to play test over on Pokémon Showdown, but felt pretty confident in my team.
Running Dragonite, Alakazam, Clefable, Snorlax, Starmie, and Gengar.

Only Pokémon I've run into that have been a little hard to deal with are Machamps, Tentacruels and sometimes an Arcanine.
The only frustrating match I've had so far was against a team with a Sheer Cold Lapras, OHKO three of my Pokémon in a row before I was able to take him out. Ended up losing the battle in the end unfortunately.

Despite Snorlax being pretty common with Body Slam, I'm pretty surprised not to see more Minimize / Calm Mind or Cosmic Power Clefables.

Clefable (M)
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Minimize
- Moonlight

Above is my Clefable in the Kanto Classics, and is able to destroy quite a few teams on her own with the proper set up of her cheapness. I have had three people rage quit due to missing after three minimizes. And been able to save failing battles with him alone. I haven't came across a single Minimize Clefable so far, nor has anyone contested mine with Body Slam from Snorlax. Hes also a great counter to the dozens of Dragonites that everyone is running.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)