[DONE] KANTO CLASSIC: Post your results!

Hello, Smogon! My first post here.

I have bred and started the Kanto Classic with a team of Snorlax, Slowbro, Alakazam, Gengar, Machamp and Arcanine. We did pretty well with setting a 8-2 in the first and 9-1 in the second day of the tournament. Before the final match, the rating was 1681. I'm assuming it should be around 1690'ish, if not 1700. However, I'm wondering if I should go for the final day of the competition or settle in 17-3 with a good rating score.

The most interesting team I've faced used Dugtrio, Tentacruel, Omastar and Snorlax, setting traps and each using Memento to force you into a switch. A defensive Snorlax using Whirlwind resulted a 0-3 loss. I must say it was unique apart from the battles I've done so far.
hey, welcome to Smogon :P
Honestly, I'd camp in the 1690-1700 bracket, it's not exactly a bad score. One person comes along with a trash rating and hax decides they win, well, you're down 30 points and might not have time or opportunity to recover.

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
Honestly, I'd camp in the 1690-1700 bracket, it's not exactly a bad score. One person comes along with a trash rating and hax decides they win, well, you're down 30 points and might not have time or opportunity to recover.
What's the rating and win/loss ratio of the top 50 players like usually? I haven't played battle spot competitions before so I'm not really sure what the end results are like. I'm also trying to decide whether I want to camp the ladder or continue playing.

What's the rating and win/loss ratio of the top 50 players like usually? I haven't played battle spot competitions before so I'm not really sure what the end results are like. I'm also trying to decide whether I want to camp the ladder or continue playing.
From what I've seen, mid to high 1700's are the apex of the ladder; low 1700 will virtually guarentee you a top 80 ranking or so in most every comp I've seen, especially in one like this where there's only 10 battles/day and a short competition period.

edit: my bad, I was thinking older comps. add +100 to what I just posted for comps with more battles, like Primal clash or internationals.

At the last competition, the festive feud, the winner had a rating of 1807 and 50th place had a 1751 rating. The 7th place finisher (the best finish with win/loss publically available) went 25-2, but win/loss ratio doesn't affect your rating, so it isn't as important. You can check more stats like that yourself on PGL by clicking on online competitions.

zapzap29

From what I've seen, mid to high 1700's are the apex of the ladder; low 1700 will virtually guarentee you a top 80 ranking or so in most every comp I've seen, especially in one like this where there's only 10 battles/day and a short competition period.

edit: my bad, I was thinking older comps. add +100 to what I just posted.
At the last competition, the festive feud, the winner had a rating of 1807 and 50th place had a 1751 rating. The 7th place finisher (the best finish with win/loss publically available) went 25-2, but win/loss ratio doesn't affect your rating, so it isn't as important. You can check more stats like that yourself on PGL by clicking on online competitions.
So rating is more important than actual number of wins, good to know. Thanks to both of you, that was very informative

So rating is more important than actual number of wins, good to know. Thanks to both of you, that was very informative
Yes. The actual number of battles you have is only relevent towards tie-breakers in ranking. ie, if I have 25-5 (83.33% battles won) and you have 17-3 (85.00% of battles won), both of us with 1692 we'll say, then we wouldn't have equal ratings despite equal rankings. I'm not sure who would actually be higher rated (me cuz I battled more and physically have more wins? You because you have a higher win ratio?) but that's the only way it's relevent. :P

Hmm, if rating determines your ranking and doesn't require you to play all 30 battles I'm wondering if I should call it quits soon. 14 battles, no losses yet, 1700+ rating. A couple of these have been nail-bitters (even the ones I've managed to 6-0 or 5-1) and it's not helping my heart lol. I just have a feeling OHKO moves are going to ruin my day eventually.

The last competition I entered 1st place barely broke 1800. I finished with 1739 and that got me 92nd so I assume it may be similar here.

Alrigth guys that's all the Kanto Classic for me, i'm going like 7-1 today and i have to study, in the match that i've lost was a lot of bad hax for me including 4 stone edges in a row (one critted me) when i was about to sweep with curselax, there was also a funny match when i was setting up CMs with fable and my opponent was trying to freeze me and when he got it he hard switched his gengar and i just twaved out and connected a beautiful +3 moonblast, God Gives God Takes. Good Luck and Good Matches for Everyone!

Hmm, if rating determines your ranking and doesn't require you to play all 30 battles I'm wondering if I should call it quits soon. 14 battles, no losses yet, 1700+ rating. A couple of these have been nail-bitters (even the ones I've managed to 6-0 or 5-1) and it's not helping my heart lol. I just have a feeling OHKO moves are going to ruin my day eventually.

The last competition I entered 1st place barely broke 1800. I finished with 1739 and that got me 92nd so I assume it may be similar here.
Woah, that's amazing. What's your team (if you don't mind me asking)? O.o

Thank you!

I'll take the advice, yes. I haven't faced with 1700+'s before and it may be riskful to affect ranking with potential losses. I'm pretty satisfied with 1690-1700's, which hopefully would put me in a satisfiying position.

Vap
I'm in the Junior Division and so far, I've only battled twice, and with a team of Zam, Gengar, Golem, Vaporeon, Clef, and Lax.
The first battle was with a hacker at a 1600 rating. They were all shiny, including SP Nidoking. It made me sad because this kid obviously had to do no work building his team. I lost 0-3. The second battle, I lost connection. But I think he quit because of my RestTalk Snorlax stall.
Vaporeon is a bigger pain than I thought it would be in this META. The ones I faced in the Master Division anyway. My son is carrying a Venusaur, so he has had not as much of an issue with it as I have.

Is this your first PGL event? I don't want it to sound like I am being negative with any of my comments.

I watch his battles and in other PGL competitions he has faced a lot of tough competition. I don't know if it is the time he is playing, but he has faced a lot of teams that are just not competitive. I would say on Day 1, 2 out of the 10 teams he faced gave him a run. On Day 2, 4 out of 10 teams gave him a run, 2 made him earn the win and 1 beat him.

Although for me in the master Division, Day 1 was definitely not as challenging as I thought it would be. Going into day 2 at 9-1 I had already set myself up to fail. I was overexcited about the potential to make Top Cut, which caused me to make errors. My opponents were in a different class though on Day 2. So many Arcanine. Arcanine is most likely my 2nd surprise Pokémon.

Top Surprise Pokémon
  1. Ditto
  2. Arcanine
  3. Vaporeon
The Skill Swap Slowbro surprised me as well.

The American Static Zapdos was a surprise, most likely 80/20 chance that was a hack.

So many shiny Pokémon. I know with TSV/ESV that shiny is not a sign of a hack, but given the timetable for this event and that it often takes days to find a matching TSV for your ESV, it was a little high on shiny.

zapzap29

Vap

Vaporeon is a bigger pain than I thought it would be in this META. The ones I faced in the Master Division anyway. My son is carrying a Venusaur, so he has had not as much of an issue with it as I have.

Is this your first PGL event? I don't want it to sound like I am being negative with any of my comments.

I watch his battles and in other PGL competitions he has faced a lot of tough competition. I don't know if it is the time he is playing, but he has faced a lot of teams that are just not competitive. I would say on Day 1, 2 out of the 10 teams he faced gave him a run. On Day 2, 4 out of 10 teams gave him a run, 2 made him earn the win and 1 beat him.

Although for me in the master Division, Day 1 was definitely not as challenging as I thought it would be. Going into day 2 at 9-1 I had already set myself up to fail. I was overexcited about the potential to make Top Cut, which caused me to make errors. My opponents were in a different class though on Day 2. So many Arcanine. Arcanine is most likely my 2nd surprise Pokémon.

Top Surprise Pokémon
  1. Ditto
  2. Arcanine
  3. Vaporeon
The Skill Swap Slowbro surprised me as well.

The American Static Zapdos was a surprise, most likely 80/20 chance that was a hack.

So many shiny Pokémon. I know with TSV/ESV that shiny is not a sign of a hack, but given the timetable for this event and that it often takes days to find a matching TSV for your ESV, it was a little high on shiny.
It's interesting how different our experiences are so far in the competition. I've only seen 1 vaporeon and arcanine and I've yet to see anyone use a ditto. I think for me the biggest pokemon that's surprised me is Lapras, I've faced way more of them on battle spot then I ever did on the ladder. It's scary too because it's super bulky and without magnezone it's impossible to safely switch into because of the sheer cold possibility. I thought people would be using Articuno more but I've seen way more Lapras users around. I utterly loathe Lapras now.

It's interesting how different our experiences are so far in the competition. I've only seen 1 vaporeon and arcanine and I've yet to see anyone use a ditto. I think for me the biggest pokemon that's surprised me is Lapras, I've faced way more of them on battle spot then I ever did on the ladder. It's scary too because it's super bulky and without magnezone it's impossible to safely switch into because of the sheer cold possibility. I thought people would be using Articuno more but I've seen way more Lapras users around. I utterly loathe Lapras now.
I forgot Lapras. Lapras I think would go #3 on that surprise list. My only counter is Hitmonchan, but I always seemed to get hit with Sheer Cold from Lapras.

My son's team does not have a legit Lapras counter, but he has ran into very few.

I know rating matters and all but if you are having fun, I see no reason to stop even if it means you might lose.
True. But, the invested time and obtained results matters as well. I, and most of the people who successfully achieved high ranking, have already played enough matches probably to sit on many wins. I don't find losing fun and wouldn't like to risk it for instance. It may differ from people to people, though it is safe to say that I personally had an absolute blast in the competition already.

I know rating matters and all but if you are having fun, I see no reason to stop even if it means you might lose.
Hence why I'm running around with Arbok and Fury Cutter Scyther, when else am I gonna use 'em? \o/
I'm 3-1, that's the funniest part.

Do what I do: Run Substitute on half your team. Let them spam OHKOs, lol. Lapras? SubRoost Sheer Cold Articuno, lets see who dies or runs out of PP first.

Is there any way to check your rating without having to go in to your 3DS? I'm in a location atm that doesnt agree with my 3DS trying to go on the Internet. I've tried Global Link but it's not showing my actual rating anywhere.

Same here I'm 15-0 at the moment and I'm scared to continue lol. Was fighting a Seaking in one of my last matches with Substitute and Horn drill, which hit twice in a row and almost cost me the match.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Finished today 18-2. I should have won my last match but my Articuno and Venusaur decided to miss all their moves at the end of the game :/

Hello everyone, first Post after quite some time of lurking and using the awesome database.

I entered this as my first competition ever after i kinda got into competitive battling about half a year ago, and I think I've prepared decently. I don't personally like Snorlax that much so I wanted to try and build a Team without it that I can work with, but in the end I ran out of time for breeding and had to make some compromises. I use Clefable, Lapras(without a KO move 'cause my brain stopped working before I locked my Box...), Machamp, Gengar (should have been a Nidoking, but still works fine even if frail and in a different role), Jolteon and Dragonite, so far some matches went really well. So here are my thoughts after the second day:

The time when you are playing is very important, yesterday evening I stopped after 8-0, just to start off with 4 consecutive losses earlier today (3 Japanese, and one because I played way too dumb, throwing away Lapras and Dnite for no reason). The worst match I got 6-0'd by a team around Sub RestTalk Articuno - I can't handle KO-users that live three more times than they should... Also, in some matches one Pokemon had to perform too many roles at once (mostly Clef, Lapras or Machamp), so I force myself into playing too defensive, but that might be because my team has big flaws because poor teambuilding/little testing. Surprisingly I ran into very few Slowbros (which I actually prepared for...) and Alakazams. Venusaur and Arcanine are bigger threats than I thought at first.

Can anyone tell me how many more KO users you expect on the final day in comparison, because I might consider to call it a day. You learn to love the current battle clauses like KO clause and evasion clause :/ (if you don't abuse their absence yourself :D Still, not my definition of "fun" games)

Hence why I'm running around with Arbok and Fury Cutter Scyther, when else am I gonna use 'em? \o/
I'm 3-1, that's the funniest part.

Do what I do: Run Substitute on half your team. Let them spam OHKOs, lol. Lapras? SubRoost Sheer Cold Articuno, lets see who dies or runs out of PP first.
Arbok might be the only Poke aside from Weezing I can actually use -derp- Psychic on Lapras for effectively. lol
Also, Sub spam and Articuno I really fear to face, it's evil. Especially when only one of your Pokemon checks/counters three or so opposing threats...

Stuck it through and finished 9-1 today, bringing my total to 19-1. The match I lost was against a Gengar/Alakazam/Arcanine/Dragonite/Clefable/Vaporeon team. The Vaporeon caught me off guard with a Work Up/Baton Pass set and the rest of the team wore my Slowbro & Clefable down to the point where the Dragonite had a clean sweep (my only hope was for Snorlax to paralyze it with Body Slam which failed, and then it got an Iron Head flinch).

Speaking of Dragonite, it was on all but 1 team I faced today. That thing is really scary even for a team with Slowbro/Clefable as it means you need to keep them healthy at all times to check it. A well played one is an absolute nightmare. I even ran into a couple with Draco Meteor, which caught my Slowbro off guard.

Also as others have noted, there are a ton of Arcanine as well. Mix between Offensive/Defensive sets but didn't expect to see so many.

Besides that the competition was definitely tougher than yesterday. Everyone I faced had a competent team and there were less gimmicks floating around. Even the players I 6-0'd put up a good fight. Still unsure whether I'll play tomorrow as my rating is around 1750+ right now and I feel I've had decent luck not running into many OHKO spam teams.

zapzap29

Done with all my matches for today, managed to go 20-0 undefeated both days. Cheezus rice that was exhausting. My advice to everyone is to use every advantage you can get. Timer stalling might seem lame but abuse it, abuse it like you're a drunk parent beating on his children. I won 4 matches because I timer stalled especially the last one where my opponent had a curse lax and would've swept the rest of my team. I'm really tempted not to play tomorrow and just end on a strong note, what do you guys think? I feel like I've earned a spot in the top 100 at least and I'm ok with that, I really don't feel the need to try and be top 20.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)