Unpopular opinions

I want Mega Evolution to stay in Gen 6 and not be present in Gen 7. It's getting old and they need to keep on adding new Megas and complicating things even MORE just to keep it interesting - I say leave it in this generation. Also, I think Primal Reversion and Mega Rayquaza are the worst things that came out of Gen 6 - they're so gimmicky and so ridiculously overpowered, even by Mega Evolution standards. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority with the first one, dunno about the second.
There are few who agree with you on the first opinion (do you really want Charizard to be worthless again?) and everyone agrees with you on the second to some degree (worst? Maybe. Stupid and overpowered due to the fact they break the wonderful limits that Megas put on themselves? Yes).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
There's nothing wrong with Gen 6 buffing the EXP Share, the problem is you get it really early and it skews the difficulty. I wouldn't mind it coming back if you start out with the Gens II-V version and much later into the game you get the buffed one.

There's nothing wrong with Gen 6 buffing the EXP Share, the problem is you get it really early and it skews the difficulty. I wouldn't mind it coming back if you start out with the Gens II-V version and much later into the game you get the buffed one.
Actually, I prefer it at the start of the game too. There's nothing stopping you from turning it off and if you want to go through the game quickly or put on easy mode, that's a good thing Exp Share is there for.

I liked the Gen 6 Exp. Share because it really reduced the amount of unnecessary grinding in the games once I got my team of 6.
It was also great for getting a new team member up to speed.

It only skews the difficulty if you let it, since you can turn it on and off at will.

Actually, I prefer it at the start of the game too. There's nothing stopping you from turning it off and if you want to go through the game quickly or put on easy mode, that's a good thing Exp Share is there for.
It only skews the difficulty if you let it, since you can turn it on and off at will.
I concur. Plus, lowering the amount of pointless grinding (and I don't mean battling trainers along the way, I mean this and this part 2) is always a plus in my book.

Cerberax

Dancing through life
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There are few who agree with you on the first opinion (do you really want Charizard to be worthless again?) and everyone agrees with you on the second to some degree (worst? Maybe. Stupid and overpowered due to the fact they break the wonderful limits that Megas put on themselves? Yes).
No, I don't want Charizard to be worthless, but it still has absolutely no excuse whatsoever for having two Megas, so my sympathy for Charizard is somewhat limited. :P Less so for 'mons like Beedrill that were infamously worthless before their Megas happened. I won't be heartbroken if Mega Evolution stays, but I personally am getting tired of it. At the very least, I want the plots of Sun and Moon to have nothing to do with Mega Evolution, and make the player only able to Mega Evolve once they beat the Elite Four. That way, it wouldn't be a part of the plot of the new games, because we've already had four games with a Mega-based plot.

No, I don't want Charizard to be worthless, but it still has absolutely no excuse whatsoever for having two Megas, so my sympathy for Charizard is somewhat limited. :P Less so for 'mons like Beedrill that were infamously worthless before their Megas happened. I won't be heartbroken if Mega Evolution stays, but I personally am getting tired of it. At the very least, I want the plots of Sun and Moon to have nothing to do with Mega Evolution, and make the player only able to Mega Evolve once they beat the Elite Four. That way, it wouldn't be a part of the plot of the new games, because we've already had four games with a Mega-based plot.
Only two games... Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire don't really count as separate games, and X and Y most certainly do not when literally the only difference is Pokémon encountered. They're pretty obviously centered around Megas because that was the new gimmick for this gen.

This. All of my this. If SM doesn't focus on Mega Evolution as part of the plot, it is good for me.

And here I'm still having a blast remembering Alain hate of megaslowbro XD.

Yep it's not an unpopular opinion slowbro has one of the best designed Megas in a way it's so ridiculous it manages to be both cute and cool at the same time.
I actually don't remember that. Which part was that in again?

Last edited:
I liked the Gen 6 Exp. Share because it really reduced the amount of unnecessary grinding in the games once I got my team of 6.
Exactly! If I have to go back to grinding to butting my head against the way stronger Pokémon League again, I'm gonna lose it!!!

I actually don't remember that. Which part was that in again?
Mega evolution corner, Maron was talking about it and Alain just walked out of scene as we see Mega slowbro anihilate mega Charizard X nearly effortlessly with psychic.

Reactions: JES
I think he's trying to say that the games are all equal.

My opinion? All the gens are fairly equal in enjoyability, though the debate on "which is best/worst" will continue until the end of time.

My least favorite, however is Gen 2. In terms of grinding alone, it far exceeds Gen 4(at least you had the VS. Seeker), as well as the whole nonlinear gym thing, which I REALLY disliked, more so due to it still forcing you along a linear gym path via level curve than the actual nonlinearity. The fact that half of the gym leaders attempt to abuse the RNG in some way(Sand attack pidegoto, Attract Miltank, Hypnosis Gengar, Double Team Poliwrath, and the ever-loved smokescreen Kingdra), as well as two of the elite four(screw you umbreon)really makes it annoying.
I AM trying to say that the games are all equal. Some things in life only have positives or only have negatives you know...

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
Mega evolution corner, Maron was talking about it and Alain just walked out of scene as we see Mega slowbro anihilate mega Charizard X nearly effortlessly with psychic.
That was a thing? I need to see that because he is up there with Batman in comedic potential by virtue of his personality.

For a personal unpopular opinion, anyone else stopped caring over a Dark-type Gym not existing ? As refreshing it'd be, I personally stopped making a big deal of it and the type lineups in general ages ago and thought I'd ask anybody else.

That was a thing? I need to see that because he is up there with Batman in comedic potential by virtue of his personality.

For a personal unpopular opinion, anyone else stopped caring over a Dark-type Gym not existing ? As refreshing it'd be, I personally stopped making a big deal of it and the type lineups in general ages ago and thought I'd ask anybody else.
I agree, I don't see how they could make a Dark gym now. I would enjoy it more if they made gyms based around themes as well as types e.g. animals.

Speaking of gyms, I kind of wish they would drift away from type-themed gyms and experiment with themes, like mixed teams with a certain battle style, like a gym with a stall team and another with a stealth rock/phase strategy. Hopefully those won't be part of the first four though. Strategy themes, not type themes.

My point is I wish the in-game challenge would gradually train players with the basic concepts of the metagame, since there's a gigantic gap between the two.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Speaking of gyms, I kind of wish they would drift away from type-themed gyms and experiment with themes, like mixed teams with a certain battle style, like a gym with a stall team and another with a stealth rock/phase strategy. Hopefully those won't be part of the first four though. Strategy themes, not type themes.

My point is I wish the in-game challenge would gradually train players with the basic concepts of the metagame, since there's a gigantic gap between the two.
While I'd also like to see some place that uses more strategic teams than types (maybe the Elite Four shouldn't rely on types), at the same time I understand why (and kind of like) that Gyms are Type-based. For one thing its easy to base an identity around (or advert/play with), and while some may think that's cheating character development I say it's more of a place to springboard off of and its the fault of the writer for not having fleshed out the character further. And gameplay wise it helps test the players understanding of types. Yes you may get weakness and resistances, but the Gyms put it in practice and with different types. In one way you could also say it encourages team building by making it more appealing to have a team of diverse types (or make it challenging if you decide to do a special challenge like mono-type or one Pokemon run). Also its up to the planner to make the Gym Leader challenging despite the type predictability. The Gym Leader's Pokemon should be prepared to be going up against its weakness by having coverage move or a strategy that makes types not a major issue.

Were you a fan then of the fact that in Diamond and Pearl Volkner and Flint really didn't even have enough Pokemon to make a full team? I have to admit that seeing the electric gym leader have an Octillary and Ambipom was...something else at least.

Also, I have to say I liked Striaton's gimmick: subverting the "only use your starter Pokemon" crowd.

Also, I have to say I liked Striaton's gimmick: subverting the "only use your starter Pokemon" crowd.
IMO that gimmick was executed pretty poorly due to practically forcing you to use the elemental monkeys which kind of defeats the purpose of making a gym your starter is weak to. I mean sure you didn't have to use them but otherwise the route give you a poor selection of Pokémon available to work with. Very unappealing and extremely weak options in Purrloin and Patrat (would anyone really use these...?) or Lillipup, which is an... okay Pokémon, but...

IMO that gimmick was executed pretty poorly due to practically forcing you to use the elemental monkeys which kind of defeats the purpose of making a gym your starter is weak to. I mean sure you didn't have to use them but otherwise the route give you a poor selection of Pokémon available to work with. Very unappealing and extremely weak options in Purrloin and Patrat (would anyone really use these...?) or Lillipup, which is an... okay Pokémon, but...
Yeah, but at the same time, it does at least show newbies not to focus on just one single Pokemon. It was...something at least. Maybe if they actually had good variety in the beginning they wouldn't have needed them.

Actually what you said makes me realize something, most of Gen 5's Pokemon were hit or miss for me. Honestly, I felt like Gen 5 had the least likable "beginner Pokemon" of all generations. I didn't really like any Pokemon until Pinwheel Forest while playing them. People complain about Bidoof but at least it's cute and evolves into something useful as a TM slave. Patrat is just utterly worthless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 7)