Unpopular opinions

At least the X&Y one looks too prickly to really walk around without hurting yourself.
True, but even it a child could go underneath it. To make the tree seem like an actual block, why not... a fallen log? Or a tree that is of a decent size (A pine tree could work because they really hurt sometimes) that could actually block someone. Even the trees used for berries would be better.

I personally really liked the BW1 approach towards HMs - other than a single required use of Cut in the Solar Dreamyard (Was that its name? I could be getting languages mixed), none of the HMs were required to get past the main story.

Of course, I loved the retool they did on Strength, being used to create shortcuts, rather than solving inexplicably-placed Sokoban-like puzzles.

Then I was a little disappointed as to how HMs became required yet again in BW2. Still nowhere near the extent of previous gens, so it could be tolerated.

Last edited:
True, but even it a child could go underneath it. To make the tree seem like an actual block, why not... a fallen log? Or a tree that is of a decent size (A pine tree could work because they really hurt sometimes) that could actually block someone. Even the trees used for berries would be better.

We are here complaining about whether or not we could maneuver around certain types of trees or bushes, but we ignore the fact that our ingame character is unable to traverse a type of grass with a slightly darker pigment than normal.

I think HMs could be fixed in a couple of ways:

1) Making them an innate part of a Pokemon rather than a move they can learn. If a Pokemon could learn Strength, then it can push boulders around in the overworld regardless of its moves. Got a Tyranitar? Then you can push boulders, smash rocks, cut bushes and surf in the water.

2) Give HM effects to different moves. Golbat has Air Cutter? Then you can get through that bush!

3) As normal, but their power depends on the level of the user. You get Cut fairly early in most games, so if it were powerful enough to be competitive it would probably break the game. But give your starter this BP 50 move at the beginning of the game, and by the time you face the Elite 4 it's maxed out at 120 BP? That might make it more worthwhile?

Edit: I would love for Cut to regain its ability to cut long grass. No idea why they got rid of that feature. It at least made the move slightly more worthwhile.

1) Making them an innate part of a Pokemon rather than a move they can learn. If a Pokemon could learn Strength, then it can push boulders around in the overworld regardless of its moves. Got a Tyranitar? Then you can push boulders, smash rocks, cut bushes and surf in the water.
"What do you mean I can't have my Scyther cut this bush without Cut?"

While some HM's being pretty useless moves to force on pokemon that can only have 4 is a definite criticism, I think the main problem is that HM's aren't really utilized for more than "key & lock" puzzles.

A key and lock puzzle is what it sounds like, you put the key in the lock. The "puzzle" is what key to use on which lock, like using cut on certain trees, rock smash on certain rocks, surf to get over water, etc. In essence they add nothing to the gameplay and only exist to limit the player's exploration until certain requirements are met. They aren't a puzzle, they aren't fun. If you could replace the HM and it's use with a keychain and a bunch of locks and lose nothing, then you've got a key and lock puzzle.

Strength isn't a key and lock puzzle, or at least it wasn't originally. They had a couple of strength specific puzzles in the early games, making the Strength HM adding to gameplay beyond creating a player barrier. If they could get more creative with this (like how Golden Sun uses the Psyenergy puzzles) then I could maybe see the worth in HM's (besides as purely competitive moves). They would have to fix the moveslot issues, but if there was a will there would be a way.

2) Give HM effects to different moves. Golbat has Air Cutter? Then you can get through that bush!
I think this is an area that Game Freak should explore, especially with moves like Cut. I understand that giving us an 80+ BP move early on can be too powerful, but if the weaker HMs had better variants that some could learn, the moveslot problem would be fixed.
Some ideas for the idea:
Cut: Slash, X-Scissor, Air Slash, Air Cutter, Psycho Cut, Razor Leaf
Rock Smash (for DP remakes since it is a non-HM field move elsewhere): virtually any Fighting-type attack (similar to how you could get a Star Piece in Pinwheel Forest)
Fly: many Flying-type attacks (Peck wouldn't make sense).
Darker grass is bad juju, the ingame character is just superstitious.
What do you think happened to Red's father...

You can have the masters of time and space, the earth and sea, and God itself at your command, but if you don't know that one specific move, you aren't getting past that small dead shrub.

Pokedex said:
If it rampages, it knocks down mountains and buries rivers. Maps must be redrawn afterward.
Not if there's a tiny bush in the way it doesn't.

I think this is an area that Game Freak should explore, especially with moves like Cut. I understand that giving us an 80+ BP move early on can be too powerful, but if the weaker HMs had better variants that some could learn, the moveslot problem would be fixed.
Some ideas for the idea:
Cut: Slash, X-Scissor, Air Slash, Air Cutter, Psycho Cut, Razor Leaf
Rock Smash (for DP remakes since it is a non-HM field move elsewhere): virtually any Fighting-type attack (similar to how you could get a Star Piece in Pinwheel Forest)
Fly: many Flying-type attacks (Peck wouldn't make sense).
They did a thing with the breakable scenery in XY, so surely this wouldn't be too hard to do?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

3) As normal, but their power depends on the level of the user. You get Cut fairly early in most games, so if it were powerful enough to be competitive it would probably break the game. But give your starter this BP 50 move at the beginning of the game, and by the time you face the Elite 4 it's maxed out at 120 BP? That might make it more worthwhile?

Edit: I would love for Cut to regain its ability to cut long grass. No idea why they got rid of that feature. It at least made the move slightly more worthwhile.
1) I had a similar idea, though instead of it being natural to the Pokemon how about once you get the HM (and the Badge to use if it required) you can simply select to use the HM from your bag, select a Pokemon who can use the HM, and the Pokemon would then use the HM without needing to learn it.

2) Slash, Night Slash, Psycho Cut, Leaf Blade, Fury Cutter... and this is just for Cut. Now for some moves like Surf and Dive you can't really replace it, but moves like Cut & Strength you can other moves also so (heck, you can probably use Bounce as a pseudo Fly).

3) Maybe not that powerful, but I do agree that maybe the HM moves should become better the more Badges you get. Now that'll nerf some HMs at the start like Surf and Fly, though that just means you can get those HMs early. Also they should be given additional effects, like maybe having Cut break Light Screen and Reflect.

While some HM's being pretty useless moves to force on pokemon that can only have 4 is a definite criticism, I think the main problem is that HM's aren't really utilized for more than "key & lock" puzzles.

A key and lock puzzle is what it sounds like, you put the key in the lock. The "puzzle" is what key to use on which lock, like using cut on certain trees, rock smash on certain rocks, surf to get over water, etc. In essence they add nothing to the gameplay and only exist to limit the player's exploration until certain requirements are met. They aren't a puzzle, they aren't fun. If you could replace the HM and it's use with a keychain and a bunch of locks and lose nothing, then you've got a key and lock puzzle.

Strength isn't a key and lock puzzle, or at least it wasn't originally. They had a couple of strength specific puzzles in the early games, making the Strength HM adding to gameplay beyond creating a player barrier. If they could get more creative with this (like how Golden Sun uses the Psyenergy puzzles) then I could maybe see the worth in HM's (besides as purely competitive moves). They would have to fix the moveslot issues, but if there was a will there would be a way.
That's an interesting idea, honestly they limit what you can use the HMs possibilities for puzzles:

Cut: Why are trees the only things we can cut? How about ropes/wires, imagine a puzzle where we need to cut certain wires in order to open a door or certain maybe ropes which are holding things together (you'd need to cut the right to keep things together while also removing what's in your way).

Strength: The Strength puzzles are okay as they are now, honestly the only addition I could give to Strength would be a "key & lock" challenge like forcing a door open.

Surf/Waterfall/Dive/Whirlpool:
Honestly to make an effective challenge for the water HMs you'll need to incorporate multiple of them into the puzzle. Surf would be mandetory but honestly Surf is just a way to walk over a different terrain. You'd need to add things like moving to different levels with Waterfall, accessing different locations with Dive, or Whirlpool to get pass rough water (Whirlpool is limited in that regard, honestly for Whirlpool the challenge would probably trying to find a way to weaken rough waters just enough so Whirlpool can be used to pass them. Or maybe add new functions to Whirlpool like maybe the stronger the Whirlpool the faster and further it'll move you through rough waters/tides).

Fly: Fly has only ever been treated as a convenience more than something that's needed. Honestly Bounce would probably have more puzzle use than Fly would. But sticking with Fly, maybe they could have places where you can use Fly to get to a higher ledge. At first this sounds like a "key and lock" challenge, which it could be, or it could just be used as a tool for part of a puzzle (like you need to get to a higher place in order to see something or access a button/lever/etc.).

Rock Smash: I can see this being used in weight puzzles, like there's a weight mechanism that has too many objects on it and you need to break the right objects to get the weight needed. Maybe even combine it with a Strength puzzle.

Rock Climb: Same us as with Waterfall & even Fly, accessing a different height though probably inside a cave where you can't fly easily or there's no water to go up. Would be combined with other HMs for more complex puzzles.

Defog: Maybe have it spin fans/turbines to create power through a facility and you need to control where the power goes and how much power is being diverted.

Flash: Erm, maybe a puzzle that evolves controlling the level of light in the room? Like maybe have plants which are sensitive to light and depending on how strong the light is they can be used in different ways (like low light they do nothing thus can be passed over, normal light they grow and can be climbed up but now can't be passed, and bright light their flower opens and it can be crossed like a platform though now can't be climbed or passed)

When you say "sub" you mean Dive, right?
Yes, sorry, my fault. In Italian "Dive" is translated with "Sub". It's not always so easy to keep in mind the differences between languages.

As for Starters, they're suppose to both teach you about the type match-ups while also providing a strong Pokemon to use at the start. You get Pokemon of neutral type on the first route you can catch Pokemon so catch one, train it to Level 5 or whatever level you feel comfortable using it, and box your Starter.
Yes, you can box your starter but:
(1) for a new player doesn't make sense: the starter you choose is tipically brought for all the story.
(2) The game tells -before the choice- "Do you want to pick the Grass/Fire/Water starter?" and you choose "Yes" or "No". In my opinion, there should be a 4th choice if you don't like any of the 3 basic starter. Then, after you denied to choose an elemental starter, the professor can tell you that you can choose a Normal type pokemon, but making you aware that its Normal STABs are neutral towards most types or resisted by some types or are immune to one type.

I think that pokemon games are too often just too linear: some ways to circumvent a strict plot is needed to free up new possibilities.

Last edited:
Yes, sorry, my fault. In Italian "Dive" is translated with "Sub". It's not always so easy to keep in mind the differences between languages.

Yes, you can box your starter but:
(1) for a new player doesn't make sense: the starter you choose is tipically brought for all the story.
(2) The game tells -before the choice- "Do you want to pick the Grass/Fire/Water starter?" and you choose "Yes" or "No". In my opinion, there should be a 4th choice if you don't like any of the 3 basic starter. Then, after you denied to choose an elemental starter, the professor can tell you that you can choose a Normal type pokemon, but making you aware that its Normal STABs are neutral towards most types or resisted by some types or are immune to one type.

I think that pokemon games are too often just too linear: some ways to circumvent a strict plot is needed to free up new possibilities.
I still don't fully understand the idea of a fourth starter. I tend to enjoy using the ones we get or if I want to try something new, I trade in an Egg with what I want (for example, my entire team in X right now).
Hmm...I still need to try that Miltank starter idea...

I still don't fully understand the idea of a fourth starter. I tend to enjoy using the ones we get or if I want to try something new, I trade in an Egg with what I want (for example, my entire team in X right now).
Hmm...I still need to try that Miltank starter idea...
I'll try to explain better than I did before:
* When you have to choose one of the 3 the elemental starters, there is the option "Do you want to pick [name of the starter]?", "Yes" or "No". Then the rival makes its choice depending on your own one basing on the elemental triangle Grass, Water, Fire.
* If you don't like these starters and you choose to not pick any of them, I think that makes sense that the game gives you a 3-stages Normal type with the same BST of the starters. Being a Normal type is both a good and a bad thing because you have the STAB on some HMs you must carry with you (such as Cut, Strenght), but you have -at best- a neutral damage output. This way, the game can create not 1 or 2 rivals, but even 3 (one for each starter) to make the game more interesting.
* Ok, you can trade your entire team to have something new, BUT... you traded an entire team! ... You broke the plot entirely.

Last edited:
Not exactly. Normal types tend to be pretty badass; large movepools, decent stats, stick Return on 'em and you're done. No worse or better than having a Water or Fire type unless you put more limitations on it.

I'm crying because you forget to mention the Grass types. =(

More limitations to a Normal type?
* No defensive synergy with the remaining members of the team bar the uncommon Ghost type.
* Many moves available, but 0 super-effective coverage ===> no offensive synergy with the remaining members of the team.
* Before having access to 102 base power Return, you have to stick with Cut and/or Strenght for a while ==> many moves available, but low room for them.

I want to mention that having a vast movepool can be a good thing to teach to have different type of moves in the 4 slots.

* Before having access to 102 base power Return, you have to stick with Cut and/or Strenght for a while ==> many moves available, but low room for them.
Considering you get Return really early in the later games, you can walk straight into a 102 BP Return by the first gym.

Especially in BW2 if you find a Riolu, as you'd want to evolve it early anyways.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm crying because you forget to mention the Grass types. =(

More limitations to a Normal type?
* No defensive synergy with the remaining members of the team bar the uncommon Ghost type.
* Many moves available, but 0 super-effective coverage ===> no offensive synergy with the remaining members of the team.

I want to mention that having a vast movepool can be a good thing to teach to have different type of moves in the 4 slots.
I still don't understand what's the difference between given a Normal-type option and just catching the early Normal-type you find on the first few routes and using that instead of your starter.

I still don't understand what's the difference between given a Normal-type option and just catching the early Normal-type you find on the first few routes and using that instead of your starter.
Although I'm not advocating having a fourth starter option, most of the early game normal types are not particularly amazing. I'm looking at you bidoof and rattata.

Reactions: JES
Although I'm not advocating having a fourth starter option, most of the early game normal types are not particularly amazing. I'm looking at you bidoof and rattata.
But there are also the Normal/Flying types (We were not talking about pure normals, right?)

But there are also the Normal/Flying types (We were not talking about pure normals, right?)
Even if we bring those into the conversation, I really only think that staraptor and swellow are all that good ingame and the idea is to have a good normal type as a starter replacement. But anyway, I don't really think that having a fourth option for a starter is needed, so I'ma stop talking.

Even if we bring those into the conversation, I really only think that staraptor and swellow are all that good ingame and the idea is to have a good normal type as a starter replacement. But anyway, I don't really think that having a fourth option for a starter is needed, so I'ma stop talking.
Lilipup says hi. Not only he gets access to surf but has a really nice Stat distribution a great ingame ability and decent move pool with self boosting moves.

Stoutland is really useful even in endgame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)