Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 7 (read first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure, though the reasons I would use him are:

He gives a Fighting Type resistance, and Ice types are weak to Fighting.

He will instantly remove opposing Toxic Spikes, which would ruin Wallrein.

He can set up Toxic Spikes, expanding Wallrein's stalling capablities from stalling out 2 pokemon to a whole team(Substitute + Protect give 32 turns of stall, which with Hail damage takes out 2 full health pokemon.With Toxic Spikes making them take more damage though, he can wipe out a whole team before running out of PP.).

He can Knock Off opposing wall's Leftovers, which would otherwise nulify Hail damage.

He will absorb Fire attacks aimed at Abomasnow.
Also adding onto that,

It can
rapid spin
It could sca
re off fire types
An eno
rmous Sp. Def base stat (120) coupled with a nice 100 base speed.
Donphan + Fo
retress and friends don't seem right on a hail team.

-Beaten at the
rapid spin

Also adding onto that,

It can rapid spin
It could scare off fire types
An enormous Sp. Def base stat (120) coupled with a nice 100 base speed.
Donphan + Foretress and friends don't seem right on a hail team.

-Beaten at the rapid spin
Knew I forgot something :O.Tentacruel acomplishes all those things as well as being a Blissey suplement.

Does having a fainted Synchronizer lead your party still work, or does the Synchronizer have to not be fainted? And does this work with all other field-effecting abilities?

Does having a fainted Synchronizer lead your party still work, or does the Synchronizer have to not be fainted? And does this work with all other field-effecting abilities?

It works with all abilities of that sort. I once went on a Chansey chain for Lucky Eggs with a fainted Butterfree in the lead and a Coveting Illumise. Four Lucky Eggs and over twenty Oval Stones.

Oh... that sucks.

So I have this Female Gligar with 31 Atk IV and 30-31 Sp. D, and a Ditto w/ some other nature that has 31 Def IV's. What's the least painful way to get the Ditto to pass the Def IV to an Impish one?

Oh... that sucks.

So I have this Female Gligar with 31 Atk IV and 30-31 Sp. D, and a Ditto w/ some other nature that has 31 Def IV's. What's the least painful way to get the Ditto to pass the Def IV to an Impish one?
There is unpainful way. You just gotta keep breeding until defense passes on a male baby hopefully (and assuming the female is Impish) so you can breed with the Female Gligar...

Actually, the Female is not Impish, it's Rash.

I'm getting a little confused here, so I have a Non-Impish Ditto with 31Def, the 31Atk + 30-31SpD Female Gligar that is Rash... how do I achieve:

Impish Gligar
x/31/31/x/31/x

Is Mismagius better as a calm minder or a perish-trapper? I've been told perish-trapping sucks, but it's worked for me. Can it work in standard?

This may not be a "simple question" per se, but I was having a little trouble figuring out if my Absol needs a scope lense to hit 50% critical rate or not. The topic discussing critical hits was a little confusing since two people were using different methods of calculation. Please tell me if there's anything wrong with my current understanding:

Any move that can critically hit has a base 6.6% chance of doing so.
When the critical hit ratio is boosted by something, it follows this progression of probability:
1 stage: 12.5% chance
2 stages: 25.0% chance
3 stages: 33.5% chance
4 stages: 50% chance

The following circumstances add stages to the attack:
Focus Energy: Adds 2 stages
Super Luck Innate Ability: Adds 1 stage
High-Critical Hit Ratio Attack: Adds 2 stages
Equipped Scope Lense: Adds 1 stage

Since 4 stage raises are required for the 50% critical hit rate, the following are the scenarios in which this could be applied to Absol (or Honchkrow for that matter):
1: Super Luck + High Critical move + Scope Lense = 4 stages
2: Super Luck + Scope Lense + BP'ed Focus Energy = 4 stages
3: Super Luck + BP'ed Focus Energy + High Critical Move = 5 stages (capped at 4)

The advantages of each method:
1: Doesn't require any Baton Passed Focus Energies.
2: Allows you to have the maximum critical ratio with any move, not just high crit ones.
3: Frees up your hold item for something like a Choice Band or Leftovers

Sorry for the long post, but I want to make sure I don't gimp myself by going overboard on critical ratio boosts for this poke. Thanks again.

Is Mismagius better as a calm minder or a perish-trapper? I've been told perish-trapping sucks, but it's worked for me. Can it work in standard?
The Calm Minder is generally more useful. However, a Perish Trapper isn't seen much and could potentially get you out of a jam if you allow a fighting or normal sweeper to set up on you (bad, bad bad!). The problem is that someone who has set up has most likely boosted their attack scores in some manner, so it's a risk taking a hit on the turns you use Mean Look and Perish Song. It's basically a high-risk, high-return strategy. Keep in mind that if your Perish Trapper doesn't have Wish support or a recovery move (not Rest), then it will really only be able to feasibly take out one other Pokemon. Therefore, most people prefer the Calm Minder since it requires less support to work over more than one opposing Pokemon with it.

*Edit: As far as it's viability in Smogon's standard environment, I won't answer that because my experience battling with the Smogon-goers on Shoddy is nonexistant. Generally, if you can make it work in standard, then it works in standard. :) That's my philosophy anyhow.

Perish Trappers probably can't take Pokes that have set up very easily at all. Think of it like this: TrapMagus versus a Swords Dance *insert strong Poke*

Mismagius switched in! Other Poke used Swords Dance!

Mismagius used Mean Look! Other Poke used OHKO!

Mismagius probably can't take hits well enough to use the Perish Song. I'd probably have to test this.

Mismagius can PerishTrap against Blissey and most moderately weak Special Attackers, I'd think, since its Special Defense is rather acceptable.

True, true. However, he was saying Mismagius could PerishTrap Normal and Fighting sweepers, when most carry an alternate move that could still kill in one or two hits, especially after a switch-in swords dance, dragon dance, and the like.

It could possibly PerishTrap a choice item sweeper, but I'm sure that the sweeper would just switch out the second Missy came in.

It could come in on a CB/CS Fighting attack (Heracross anyone?) and then Hypnosis on the switch and THEN try to PerishTrap.

Mismagius switched in! Other Poke used Swords Dance!
Good point! The ideal situation would be if you are immune to their STAB attack type due to being a ghost and switch in after they have killed one of your other Pokes. It would basically be serving as damage control if it could pull it off in that case.

If people in the Smogon standard environment are used to a CM Mismagius they may switch Blissey in to wall it, in which case you can Mean Look at it and laugh in its smug, pink face.

It could possibly PerishTrap a choice item sweeper, but I'm sure that the sweeper would just switch out the second Missy came in.

It could come in on a CB/CS Fighting attack (Heracross anyone?) and then Hypnosis on the switch and THEN try to PerishTrap.
True - I actually forgot about Hypnosis. Factoring that in, considering your faster, you could Sleep the guy, then Mean Look on the switch, and you have a high chance of Perish Kill, with Protecting. You might want to use this with a scout, like Swampert, to find if they have a Choice Sweeper.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
^ Bold, Max HP, Max Def @ Leftovers

Ice Beam
Charge Beam
Rest
Sleep Talk

That's the standard, and most common set atm. Counters a lot of metagame threats very well and also absorbs status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)