Whats a Hack and What Isn't

Is this Considered a Hack or not?

Yes, I've decided to make this thread to inform everyone of my opinion on the matter. I've seen the question above pop up a lot. I've seen bunches of people asking "does hacking this make this hacked" etc, and I've decided to put up my view-point of the situation, as well as give good reasons why.

I have no clue where this would belong, so decided to post it here.

I would also like to see your own opinions up. Well, here goes:

Using Hacked Parents
: This, IMO is just as bad as hacking the Pokemon itself. You may argue that "I still went through the process of breeding the Pokemon", but that argument just won't be registered as valid. You have an unfair advantage over someone who does it fairly. Having a godly parent highly effects how the offspring will turn out. So hacking yourself a godly parent IMO would be considered an illegit Pokemon in my view. It is just an attempt at being clever at getting around the fact that you didn't hack the Pokemon itself.

Hacking Events/Re-triggering Events: An example of hacking an event, is for example, the Lugia island event. If you didn't attend the live event itself, you have no other way of obtaining the ticket (and getting to Lugia) except by hacking the ticket into your game. I think that this is completely legit. You might argue "Oh, but he hacked the item", but he still has the same chance of getting a good or bad one, unlike hacking a parent. Hacking a parent is increasing your chance, while hacking an event is just giving you a chance. By hacking the event, you're just giving yourself access to the event, not giving yourself a higher chance of getting godly IV's. Therefore, I think hacking/re-triggering events still allows the Pokemon to be 100% legitimate.

Quick hatch trick/step reduction: This trick basically cuts down the number of steps you have to take to hatch an egg from thousands to almost nothing (6, IIRC). This, in my opinion, does not ruin legitimacy. Yes, you are speeding up a process that would otherwise take much, much longer, but you are doing nothing more than speeding up the inevitable. You're going to get those eggs, whether you get them fast or slow. Yes, this indeed does give you an advantage over others. Though I don't think using this trick ruins legitimacy, I still think you should inform anyone you're trading with that you used this method to hatch your egg. Due to such repetitive controversy about this issue, let me clarify this in bold. This is ok IF the person you're trading with approves. I would personally not take a Pokemon quick hatched, just saying this for others sake.

Putting weird/not normal moves on a Pokemon: An example of this would be putting WonderGuard, an ability only available to Shedinja, to Spiritomb, for example. Giving that ability to a Spiritomb would make it practically invincible, as no attack can hit it super-effectively. Therefore, the only way to take something like this down is via status inflicter's, like Toxic, or Will-O-Wisp. Therefore, I don't think its alright to hack moves onto Pokemon that would normally be unable of learning them.

Hacking moves onto a Pokemon period: Forgot to give your Bold Feebas Hypnosis as an Egg Move? No worries, lets just hack it onto it using our trusty AR! I don't think thats right. I personally think that hacking moves onto Pokemon is very lame. I mean, why not breed it onto it yourself? Personally, I don't think that hacking moves onto Pokemon (even if they can learn them) is alright.

Well, those are all the common hacks I could think of. If theres anything else, remind me of it people, and I will write down what I personally think about it. Remember, this is just my opinion!

Meh, I don't even have AR, but on the hacked parent subject, I could personally care less from a data standpoint. Technically the pokemon is created legally, just from illegal sources.

I'll use a metaphor... So lets say a child is born to two criminals wanted for, idk, robbing a bank. You don't arrest the kid just because their parents are bad, right?

Perhaps I choose to use that metaphor in a somewhat extreme point, but you still get my point. If the pokemon is created legally I consider it legal withen the game's limits, then its still legit. I know Smogon is quire strict about this, but I don't even own AR so I could care less really. As long as I don't get cheated in a battle/trade, I'm fine.

Hacking moves onto a Pokemon period: Forgot to give your Bold Feebas Hypnosis as an Egg Move? No worries, lets just hack it onto it using our trusty AR! I don't think thats right. I personally think that hacking moves onto Pokemon is very lame. I mean, why not breed it onto it yourself? Personally, I don't think that hacking moves onto Pokemon (even if they can learn them) is alright.
Uh...I don't quite see what's so bad about this. I mean, as long as the pokemon can learn the moves and it's not an illegal combination, it won't effect play. Sure you could conceivably argue that it gives someone an "advantage" over someone else (getting a second chance to get a move onto a pokemon after you screwed up egg moves instead of breeding a shitload more for those IVs and nature), but such an "advantage" completely disappears when you actually battle; will an Azumarrill with Aqua Jet hacked onto it have any sort of advantage over an Azumarrill which naturally learned it? I think this only truly should matter if you're trying to offer the pokemon up for trade (and saying they are legit), but if you're using them only for your own purposes--to battle--then I really can't see the harm in it.

And if they had an AR to begin with...why didn't they just hack the Feebas instead of going through all the breeding? >_>

Meh, I don't even have AR, but on the hacked parent subject, I could personally care less from a data standpoint. Technically the pokemon is created legally, just from illegal sources.

I'll use a metaphor... So lets say a child is born to two criminals wanted for, idk, robbing a bank. You don't arrest the kid just because their parents are bad, right?

Perhaps I choose to use that metaphor in a somewhat extreme point, but you still get my point. If the pokemon is created legally I consider it legal withen the game's limits, then its still legit. I know Smogon is quire strict about this, but I don't even own AR so I could care less really. As long as I don't get cheated in a battle/trade, I'm fine.
@ Lawman, but you still hacked the parent. You're getting a much better chance to get a good offspring. Many people would agree with me on this point, including X-Act, the one who made Smogon's breeding guide.

@ StarMan, I know many people who have AR's that still get their Pokemon in a legit fashion. Most people have AR's just for cloning, or re-triggering events.

But you still hacked the parent. You're getting a much better chance to get a good offspring.
True, but as I said, judging from the games data, it is still considered legit.

I'm actually against hacking myself for the most part (cloning, getting items, etc. is fine), but if someone were to offer me a really good pokemon and say, "Oh, by the way, it turns out the quad-flawless parents of that pokemon were hacked, do you still care for it?", I would still gladly accept and consider it legit, as the pokemon itself wasn't directly hacked with AR.

I'm not saying it is not wrong, I'm just stating my opinion in saying I find it acceptable to a certain degree.

@ Lawman, I kind of see what you're saying..but still.

@ Mikey, yeah thats why I made this thread. So that people could use it as a reference maybe, etc.

You'd have to be really messed up to give it an illegal egg moveset. A Hypnosis + Brave Bird Crobat would be really really lame!

^ I think you missed the point of that part. In that part, I wasn't talking bout illegal movesets, I was talking about hacking even legal moves onto a Pokemon just because you don't feel like going through the trouble of getting it the right way.

great point I completly understand where your coming from also for the spiritomb with wonder gaurd you can use forsight on it and it will be affected by fighting types giving it a weakness to fighting beacuse its half dark

^
Yeah! Like everybody LOOOOOOOOOOVES using Fire Fang and Foresight to fight hacked pokemon with,,,It's Smogon!

^ I think you missed the point of that part. In that part, I wasn't talking bout illegal movesets, I was talking about hacking even legal moves onto a Pokemon just because you don't feel like going through the trouble of getting it the right way.
Oh! Gotcha!:naughty: I still don't think it is right to hack legal moves...What an Oxymoron! Illegal Egg moves are like Semi-Normal...I thought not normal would be like if you gave Walrein Mind Reader for its Sheer Cold....

Thats what I said lol. I said I didn't think it was ok to hack legal moves onto Pokemon that could learn them just because the person was too lazy to go through the right way of obtaining it.

i wanted to ask 2 things.
If i hack the parents the baby will be treated as legit by the different testing ways to check hacked pokes?(example: PBR)
How do i make the trick to hatch eggs faster?
this would help me a lot.

Thats what I said lol. I said I didn't think it was ok to hack legal moves onto Pokemon that could learn them just because the person was too lazy to go through the right way of obtaining it.
Quick hatch trick/step reduction: This trick basically cuts down the number of steps you have to take to hatch an egg from thousands to almost nothing (6, IIRC). This, in my opinion, does not ruin legitimacy. Yes, you are speeding up a process that would otherwise take much, much longer, but you are doing nothing more than speeding up the inevitable. You're going to get those eggs, whether you get them fast or slow. Yes, this indeed does give you an advantage over others. Though I don't think using this trick ruins legitimacy, I still think you should inform anyone you're trading with that you used this method to hatch your egg.
Y helo thar contradiction.

My stance is pretty simple. If you're going to hack a pokemon, just hack the stupid pokemon to the stats and moves you want. Don't pull morality of "just quick hatch" or "just hacked parents". As long as you keep it within in-game boundaries, it's fine.

Alot of those points are made well. I agree, having hacked parents should make the child unfair for play. For example:

Mother and Father have perfect IVs.
Offspring gaines three randomly selected perfect IVs in three stats.
Severely increases the chance of perfect IVs without the hassle of legitimately gaining a perfect Pokemon. Sure, some people will say that it's legitimate, but it's something pretty hard to claim when all of your Pokemon have three or more perfect IVs each.

Actually it's not that tedious to chain to 3 perfect IVs on a pokemon. It's getting the other ones to be good that is hard.

Y helo thar contradiction.

My stance is pretty simple. If you're going to hack a pokemon, just hack the stupid pokemon to the stats and moves you want. Don't pull morality of "just quick hatch" or "just hacked parents". As long as you keep it within in-game boundaries, it's fine.
This, I agree with; don't try to pass it off as X or Y. Either it's hacked or it's not, and I don't care if it is or isn't as long as you don't try to lie about it.

This, I agree with; don't try to pass it off as X or Y. Either it's hacked or it's not, and I don't care if it is or isn't as long as you don't try to lie about it.
I agree with this as well. In my book, if it requires an external device, it's hacked. Though with the advent of GTS cloning and the requirement of a router/USB connector, the picture gets a bit fuzzy.

Hacking abnormal abilities or movesets is obviously not legit and the same goes for IV's but in all honesty I don't judge too much because I don't have nearly enough time to be making them legit myself. I don't have an AR so for that reason I mostly just play shoddy where it doesn't matter!

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you can do it within the confines of the game, it's not a hack. If it requires a third party device or other such manipulation, it is a hack. That's my very simple definition.

i don't approve hacking in the way that the hack could crew your game, i think that if you make parents and then breed for it the sons are legit (as far as i am concerned), because like for example, i was trying to get a good pain split duskull, i had a bold misdreavus with perfect defense, but i didn't had any duskull, so i had to get a duskull from GTS and then breed better duskulls, this was extremely time consuming (i think i spent like a week) and the final one that i started training had 5hp/31df/31sp.def and +def boosting nature, and i EV trained it to be awesome 252 def and 252 s.def.
Then i discovered it sucked at resisting hits, so i have to start doing this again and look for good hp iv, so...my point its...breeding sucks and if you get hacked parents from someone (i don't hack), then you should could use this advantage to get to your final objective and dont waste days and days trying to get a fucking number. But that its just my opinion, and this its the reason why i hate to IV train walls and sponges

I posted something about this earlier in SQSA but here it is again to get more opinions.

Hacking wild pokemon to EV train good or bad?
this doesn't seem like a big deal to me as it speeds things up for people who do not have a lot of time.

Putting weird/not normal moves on a Pokemon: An example of this would be putting WonderGuard, an ability only available to Shedinja, to Spiritomb, for example. Giving that ability to a Spiritomb would make it practically invincible, as no attack can hit it super-effectively. Therefore, the only way to take something like this down is via status inflicter's, like Toxic, or Will-O-Wisp. Therefore, I don't think its alright to hack moves onto Pokemon that would normally be unable of learning them.
Wonderguard is an ability not move so I think it should have its own sectoin :toast:

I posted something about this earlier in SQSA but here it is again to get more opinions.

Hacking wild pokemon to EV train good or bad?
this doesn't seem like a big deal to me as it speeds things up for people who do not have a lot of time.
I... don't know why you'd bother. It's easy enough to do it legitly with 'rus and a power item that hacking out wild pokemon for EVs seems like overkill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)