Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
heatran 100% rise
alomomola maybe just bc pinka team is spammed but i dont think so
ogerpon-grass has a high chance judging by high usage on spikespams
ogerpon-cornerstone, lando, pex, empoleon prolly dropping
Ogerpon grass is just a worse ogerpon wellspring and cornerstone with a free item slot, its not rising, ogerpon cornerstone may fall though

ve, but i’d definetly prefer action on Gliscor more than Gholdengo. Because trust me, Corviknight is NOT enough to justify this thing’s utterly straining presence on the meta. Lest we forget the classic way to rid one of Corviknight
You already sound ridiculous. You no longer even know the difference between a broken Pokemon and an annoying one. Now a Pkmn is annoying? To cry for the ban. ridiculous!

Where are you getting this info, because that really doesn't sound accurate?

I'm gonna wait for the tiering shifts to be officially announced since idk where you are getting data and see if you are correct
It comes from smogon’s mega file of all data. It is linked in the mega thread concerning tier shifts

To be fair, like all banned pokemon this gens are blatantly broken and probably most of them are still broken without Tera regardless. OU council done a pretty good jobs with quickban and suspect test pokemon this gens, they are very responsive to the community. The meta trend is just completely fucked up, that's not their fault.
This gen shows that gf wanted a more offensive meta, reducing pp to recover moves, and putting faster Pkmn with good attacks. If you want to continue playing the type of battles that in 50 turns you don't give a single direct attack, start playing past goals and stop crying in this gen. If you no longer even know how to recognize a broken Pkmn from a simply annoying one. It's between laughter and sadness to read

https://www.smogon.com/stats/ has a list of all monthly usage stats dating back to the end of 2014, that's where i personally get my data. something seems to be fucked up about the 1695 stats for this month's ou and the 1630 stats for uu though, they're loading as empty pages right now
Huh, I noticed something interesting. Torn-T gets a good amount of usage on really high ladder but low ladder just completely ignores it

I guess low ladder people haven't caught on that torn-t is good again which is funny, considering the kind of tomofoolery that happens on low ladder

Also if these usage stats are correct, Pex and Landorus-T are barely OU and somehow garchomp and garganacl are OU again

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm out of the loop what's Torn-T doing these days?
I've been using an Assault Vest set, but you can also go with Boots but I been using it as my special wall because it handles Moth decently as well as I run Icy Wind for all the Booster Mons so when I get the speed drop I'm able to revenge things like Valiant / RIP Roaring Moon. Overall really good mon I think because of Regen and being able to take Gliscors toxic and switch in and out especially if SR is not on the field.

Okay, i'm going to get ahead of myself talking about this, but I think it's a good time to talk poke-politics:

tl;dr I hope Gliscor gets banned. Be patient and the meta will eventually turn out okay.

I'm really glad to see a new suspect test, as the surveys clearly indicate that people still deem the meta relatively unhealthy/uncompetitive/unsatisfying.

My concern (again, I'm getting ahead of myself) is rooted in the same problem as the :Kingambit: suspect:
What happens if it fails?

It's obviously too early to say anything, because the suspect literally just started.
But if this suspect fails, then :Gliscor: stays and... then what? I assume the council will give a little adjustment time before sending out another survey and starting yet another almost inevitable suspect, but what can happen?
The way I see it, the worst case scenario would be if the :Gliscor: suspect fails and then the council later (Pre-DLC2) votes to QB it. That would render this suspect pointless. Again, that's a double "if" (first assuming that the :Gliscor: suspect leads to "no ban" and second that the council later votes on :Gliscor: and conclusively votes "Ban").
That's the problem with :Kingambit: right now. It hasn't even been three months since the previous suspect test. Yes, DLC1 changed a few things, but re-suspecting something so soon looks... bad. Even if it is objectively for the better of the meta. The same is true to some degree on the council voting to QB something that was voted "No Ban" by the community. I think part of that is the problem of the :Volcarona: incident. I agree with the council's vote, but I think the uproar has caused some added tension this generation.

Why am I bringing this up now?
Well, I am (literally guessing) that if the suspect on :Gliscor: results in "no ban" that we may see a proactive post-suspect vote on :Gholdengo: by the council for a QB. We may see that either way, I don't know, and I don't think the council owes us that transparency yet (there are so many ifs and factors that I know they are discussing, especially since this suspect literally just started).
My basis is Gen 8. I can't recall exactly when or why, but I believe it was immediately following a :Magearna: Suspect resulting in "Ban" which also had :Cinderace: QB'd?
I think that method was reasonable then, and it might be what happens now. Obviously, I'm not on the council, so I don't have any insight into their plans, but I just want to... sort of prep the forum for a possibility.

All of this said, I hope :Gliscor: gets the boot. Some people argue whether or not it's the real problem, but ultimately any change is good.
If banning :Gliscor: doesn't fix the meta, and we still see more or less of the same problems (excluding tera, give me a minute to briefly touch on that) then it's possible that it can be re-introduced at a later date once the heart of the issue has been addressed. After all, bans are a fix that can be reversed if the meta evolves to a state where the playerbase feels a threat can be handled.

Lastly, that brings me to Tera. Facts:
  • Tera allows pokemon to beat their checks and counters.
  • Tera was not banned after the first suspect.
  • Tera will not be banned or suspected until DLC2 (I'm 98% sure Finch has said this in multiple posts on this forum).
That's the simple truth.
So, cycling back into the world of poke-politics, why might we not see a tera suspect during this period?
I think there are a few obvious reasons:
  1. 1. The Council cannot vote to QB tera. As the core mechanic of this generation (and a highly polarizing one at that), it is clear that the decision is beyond that of a small subset, and instead must be decided by the greater community as a whole.
  2. There are repercussions to consider across the other tiers. I believe (although I am not certain on policy at this time) that a ban on tera in OU is a ban on Tera across all of Smogon. Bear with me. The other tiers (at least UU from what I've seen) don't have as much of a problem with Tera. It's largely an issue here in OU. The same "outplay" potential exists with a well-timed tera that can keep momentum, or fundamentally regain control of the game (the number of Vacuum Waves and Mach punchs Tera Ghost :Weavile: dodges in UU is great tbh). I think that, although not the primary concern of the council, the echoes of other tiers weigh on this decision. And because this decision affects more than just OU, players from other tiers will want their voices heard and will participate in the Tera suspect as well.
  3. DLC1 is full of problems even without tera. The clear and obvious one was Blood Moon. That wasn't a tera issue. Obviously, no meta will ever be perfect, but I think the council wants to root out other problems inherent to Gen 9 in order to have a more accurate suspect of tera. Does this mean "ten thousand mons will die for terastylization?" Maybe, but so what? It's not like they're gone forever. They can each in their own time be revisited an re-suspected if and when tera is gone.
  4. DLC1 is... what? Two months old now as of November 1st? If that? And supposedly DLC2 is next month? That's barely three months of adjustment before a whole new meta drops. At that point, it almost doesn't make sense to test something when the new meta is around the corner. That's part of this weird lurch of suspects right now, where long-standing problems that aren't solely based on tera should be evaluated.
  5. DLC2 might break tera more. Or change it. Honestly, who knows? Besides the three bullets I made about tera, probably 90% of this post is speculative in nature. But I think that the council recognizes that whatever DLC2 brings will have an impact on Tera. So if we were to suspect tera in DLC1, we could completely invalidate a core part of DLC2. Additionally, building logic of off point 4, imagine the fatigue of running a tera suspect in DLC1, assuming it fails, and then having to run another suspect for DLC2. I'm always of a pro-ban mindset, but re-suspecting something twice within a three-month period just feels wrong.

Thanks for bearing with all of this! Hope everyone has good RNG and fun getting reqs!

1698853847319.png

I was so confused when I saw this, I thought you were saying we needed to suspect the fucking Heavy Balls from Pokemon Legends Arceus

I have since realised that this is a Tera Orb.

What happens if it fails?

It's obviously too early to say anything, because the suspect literally just started.
But if this suspect fails, then :Gliscor: stays and... then what? I assume the council will give a little adjustment time before sending out another survey and starting yet another almost inevitable suspect, but what can happen?
The way I see it, the worst case scenario would be if the :Gliscor: suspect fails and then the council later (Pre-DLC2) votes to QB it. That would render this suspect pointless. Again, that's a double "if" (first assuming that the :Gliscor: suspect leads to "no ban" and second that the council later votes on :Gliscor: and conclusively votes "Ban").

Why am I bringing this up now?
Well, I am (literally guessing) that if the suspect on :Gliscor: results in "no ban" that we may see a proactive post-suspect vote on :gholdengo: by the council for a QB. We may see that either way, I don't know, and I don't think the council owes us that transparency yet (there are so many ifs and factors that I know they are discussing, especially since this suspect literally just started).
I think, whether Gliscor gets banned or not, the Council is going to look into a suspect of Gholdengo no matter what, judging from what Finch has been saying and the results of the survey.

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
You already sound ridiculous. You no longer even know the difference between a broken Pokemon and an annoying one. Now a Pkmn is annoying? To cry for the ban. ridiculous!
I didn’t know that “annoying” signified a severe warping effect on the hazard metagame, but then again, your next post immediately contradicts this one by just blubbering about stall.
This gen shows that gf wanted a more offensive meta, reducing pp to recover moves, and putting faster Pkmn with good attacks. If you want to continue playing the type of battles that in 50 turns you don't give a single direct attack, start playing past goals and stop crying in this gen. If you no longer even know how to recognize a broken Pkmn from a simply annoying one. It's between laughter and sadness to read
Make up your mind. Is it just an “annoying” pokemon or is it just a stallmon that causes 50-turns matches before an actual move is made?

I can’t stand gholdengo and webs, its literally a loss at team preview for me, i keep trying to build teams that can handle it but it doesn’t work, its kinda boring to face

I know this is a short quip of a post but I honestly wonder what all your thoughts are on this:
DLC 2 releases
Iron Valiant gets Nasty Plot
How does this make you feel?
it would kinda ruin iron valiant, calm mind takes more skill and pays off more after a few boosts, nasty plot just makes the mon a guessing game for any team lacking corviknight or galarian slowking, it would prob be banned

I know this is a short quip of a post but I honestly wonder what all your thoughts are on this:
DLC 2 releases

DLC 2 releases
The same as the idea that toxapex gets scald in dlc2. It hasn’t happened yet, we don’t know it will happen, so there’s no point thinking about it

zapdos getting defog would probably fix OU

kingambit getting banned would improve OU (and UU) immensely

getting a second good rapid spinner would improve OU

on an unrelated note, Nasty Plot Dark Pluse Defog Mandibuzz beats gholdengo trust don't worry about anything else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 34)