DP Starmie .

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Credits to ImperfectLuck for this set. At least I got it from him anyway. Credit for the name goes to Gouki because it is what I think he would name it should I ask him to name it.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/starmie

[SET]
Name: Big Boi Starmie
Move 1: Surf
Move 2: Recover
Move 3: Reflect
Move 4: Rapid Spin / Thunderbolt / Ice Beam
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Nature: Bold
Ability: Natural Cure

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This is a very physically defensive Starmie whose main purpose is to assist the team with the psuedo-passing potential of Reflect, while also using Reflect to defend itself from Tyranitar.</p>

------------------

Truthfully this is all I can say about this set, since for some reason I can't find an actual reason for all those defensive EVs. All I know is that when I reduced them to get Starmie's Speed up to 334, my personal effectiveness with the set was reduced.

Now don't take this as me posting a set I do not have experience with...I have used IPL's spread, and I have LOVED its results. I just can't formulate an objective or mathematical reasoning for it.

I'll have no issues regarding the basic explanation of THIS set (besides the EVs which are seriously a mystery to me...I really have no idea why so much defense is so damn effective), but I would like the community to pitch in with their experiences using Reflect Starmie. If I remember correctly, Phuquoph and others said they used this, so I would specifically like their thoughts on this spread.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
whoa creepy, I wrote an analysis for the same set... >_>
here's what I wrote for mine.

D/P Starmie

[SET]
Name: ReflectStar
Move 1: Surf / Thunderbolt
Move 2: Ice Beam
Move 3: Reflect
Move 4: Recover
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Spd / 40 SpA / 100 Def
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Modest

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set is more of a novelty set in some ways. This is a great switch-in and counter to Swords Dance and the Choice Band Chomp sets. The idea here is to come in on a SD, set up reflect and wear down Chomp with Ice Beams while Recovering when need. This can also work on Gyarados as you Reflect up as they attack you or as they switch out. With a Reflect, you avoid the 2hko from Chomp and the 3hko from Gyarados (from those that run leftovers as opposed to Life Orb which will 2hko you). Unfortunately without thunderbolt, you will have to bluff your way to “countering him” and hope he switches out. Replacing Surf means you lose your coverage on Infernape which can be hit or miss depending on what your team needs help with. The EVs are there for optimal bulkiness but still having enough speed to take down max speed Infernape and the rest thrown into Special Attack. Light Clay is there as an option if you want a longer Reflect, but you lose your leftovers which could be bad considering that most Garchomps are run along side Tryanitars and his Sandstorm ability.</p>

the EVs are different obviously, and now i can't remember why I set mine how they are. I think that I ran Calcs. for Chomp mainly. The Speed EVs are there to throw off Gyara's that run just enought speed to get passed Starmie's CounterStar set. Then 40 SpA was so that you could 2hko chomp with yache I'm pretty sure and the rest were dumped into Def. Dunno if this helps any, but I'll test your EVs sometime and see if they work better than mine.

I ran the bulky spread for awhile, but I had to switch to 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 Spe with Timid because I needed to outrun Infernape. Obviously the extra Speed is helpful against Garchomp too, even without Ice Beam. Setting up Reflect before it attacks proved very useful.

I also used 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe with Timid, to beat non-Scarf Gengar. That was when I was using Psychic in the last slot though, which isn't as bad as it sounds. More damage against Tentacruel, Roserade and Heracross was handy.

I would list the slower, bulkier spread as the main one as it is significantly different from the current spreads on the analysis. Mention the faster alternatives in the Set Comments.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ok, I'll do that. Also, IPL, I noticed I was very unsure of what the better option on this was, Rapid Spin or Thunderbolt. Ice Beam I didn't emphasize because I generally had more reliable ways to take care of Garchomp.

Would you recommend the high defensive spread specifically for the purpose of Rapid Spinning?

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
I actually used this set awhile back and here is what I can say about it...

I honestly don't like Rapid Spin on this set. I think that Rapid Spin lowers this set's potential of abusing Reflect to stop some physical threats. Psychic is also decent on the set, like Phuquoph mentioned. One selling point for Psychic is that it allows you to beat Blissey if it is their last Pokemon, due to Special Defense drops.

I agree with the two spreads that Phuquoph gave, and that they should be mentioned in the set comments. This Starmie makes a good counter to most Garchomp varients(which is hard to find). Reflect makes great team support and makes Tyranitar and Weavile sad when they try and pursuit Starmie.

Some extra bits to consider, mostly about the last slot.

Ice Beam: Isn't much use on the slower versions, since you can't outrun Garchomp or Salamence (Speed tie with some of the mixed sets). So you'll usually die before you get a chance to attack.

Thunderbolt: The bulky spread is a much better Gyarados counter, since the really offensive sets with Life Orb (which seem to be gaining popularity) can DD then OHKO the ones with the defensively weaker spread with only a little prior damage to Starmie. Speed isn't an issue as you will almost always be faster (Gyara hasn't used DD, Jolly won't OHKO) or slower (it has used DD).

I wouldn't list any other attacks in the set, since Rapid Spin / Thunderbolt / Ice Beam are easily the most useful. I would mention that you can use Psychic or some of the moves from the Other Options section (Thunder Wave is pretty good, especially if Weavile comes in when you Reflect).

Sorry for the bump, but this set really should be in the analysis. I decided to re-write the Set Comments.

<p>This is a very physically defensive Starmie whose main purpose is to assist the team with the pseudo-passing potential of Reflect, while also using Reflect to defend itself from Tyranitar</p>

<p>This Starmie set is the only way to get a safe Rapid Spin on Swampert. Even without all the defense, Pursuit becomes a both even with Reflect up.</p>

<p>Light Clay is an option over Leftovers if you believe you need a longer Reflect. However, you lose to Sandstorm with Light Clay, and the ability to take hits with its Bulkiness. The three main options in the last slot are Rapid Spin, Thunderbolt, and Ice Beam. Rapid Spin can get rid of annoying Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Stealth Rock if you have a Stall Team that can't afford to be worn out in order to counter common threats. Ice Beam can make Starmie a great Garchomp counter, with Reflect; Swords Dance becomes nearly completely useless. Finally, Thunderbolt makes Starmie one of the best Gyarados counters. Psychic is another option to beat last Pokemon Blissey (The ones without Status move), due to the fact that it has a Special Defensive drop. It also can hit Tentacruel.</p>

<p>The EVs provided are to outspeed Heracross, and take as many hits as possible. There are two other EV spreads though. First, there is 252 HP / 200 Defense / 200 Speed. This EV spread allows you to outrun Infernape and Garchomp. This allows you to outspeed Infernape and Garchomp, and hit them hard with Surf and Ice Beam respectively before they can hit you hard.</p>

<p>It should be noted that Ice Beam should not be on the EV spreads that don't outspeed Garchomp or Salamence, and you'll get killed before you can Ice Beam</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)