Suikoden Tierkreis and Valkyrie Profile: Covenent of the Plume

I was thinking about getting one of these two RPGs for my DS, but I don't know which one to pick. I know VP is more mature and has more character development, but Suikoden has a more happy storyline and more characters. Which one is better in your opinion?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Those seem like very... bad descriptions of the games. Have you played the games in either of those series before? As far as I can tell, both are tactics spin-offs of the main series. If you're really itching for a tactics game, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon may be a better bet. If you want one of these as you're fans of the franchise, I'd look up some fan impressions. I know that there's been quite a bit of bitching and moaning over Square Enix removing all voices from the English release of VP: CotP.

Well that's the description I got from GFAQS lol.

I have already played Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon that's why I'm looking for these two. I know VP: Silmeria was really good, so I'm kind of leaning towards Covenent, but I've never played Suikoden so I don't really know how that's like.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Suikoden seems to have nothing to do with the Suikoden games actually. Both are receiving similar reviews too >.> Flip a coin?

or pick up Henry Hatsworth which is nothing like them and looks awesome =O

Yeah I've been looking through all the reviews and they are all so similar! And the awesome gameplay videos of both games don't help either...

Maybe I should just get both! So many good games out this month so little time lol.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
i've been playing VP: Plume. tbh, it's story is tl;dr and boring (to me) and its battling is extremely difficult if you want maximum rewards from every battle (which, naturally, i do) while keeping the option of getting the good ending. for what its worth, the story is heavy-handed and does exude a sense of maturity, although (much like FE), a lot of the gravity of it is taken away when its just 2D images talking to each other on a screen.

still, it's enjoyable. it actually encourages strategic thinking, unlike a lot of other srpgs. while the maps are isometric in design, actual battling is the same as any other VP game (4 characters mapped to 4 buttons, a special gauge, etc). its definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of the series. my only REAL complaint so far is that, 5 hours in, i have yet to see a Valkyrie!!

The general rule of thumb I've been hearing is this:

Tierkreis has more content, but it's a spinoff game (not connected to canon) and it has the funny quirk of all the voice acting being sped up so it fits on the DS flash card. Turn based battles, also.

VPDS is shorter, but it has a better story, but it's tactics.

So, take your pick. Story/tactics, or Gameplay/suikoden awesomeness.

I'm equally a fanboy of both serieses, for the record.

I bought Tierkreis, trying to limit myself on game purchases this month, so far I've enjoyed it...

Having beaten VP with ending A, I'll give my input.

Its a very fun game to play if you want to think strategy since the game encourages plume uses which drops you to ending B or C. It can be a bit tedious especially in rescue missions because of dumb AI or maybe just to encourage plume usage but it is entirely doable with superior tactics. The final battle requires a certain strategy to beat and it is quite challenging. Overall, I'd rate it medium in difficulty and definitely possible to beat first game ending A.

It is superior to Fire Emblem DS which I am a big fan of simply because FE is all about luck and one man army which requires little to no tactics. Pick your favourite characters and go.

my only REAL complaint so far is that, 5 hours in, i have yet to see a Valkyrie!!
You play villian this game. Minor spoiler: valkyrie is in ending B and C

I'm having the same problem as you are, but I am going to get Tierkreis first... Because I flipped a coin. Honestly, both look amazing and I plan to get Covenant sometime (Too bad I'm out of a job, damn you recession!) but it's just tough it choose. Go with whichever you find first at the store, and get the other afterwards.

Edit: I just remembered, you could skip both [for now] and get FFCC: Echoes of Time. How could I forget that game? Gotta pick it up soon...

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
Having beaten VP with ending A, I'll give my input.

You play villian this game. Minor spoiler: valkyrie is in ending B and C
oh i understand that i am the villain. but still...where my valkyries at =( i miss lenneth and my personal favorite, hrist

i am also on Path A, cause i rule. doubling sin every battle has been difficult!

if you're choosing between these games because you like fire emblem shadow dragon, why not go with advance wars days of ruin? but if you have to chose between the two, my friend says valkyrie profile covenent of the plume is superior, and he's played both (take that for what it's worth, just his opinion).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)