Swine flu hitting everywhere

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hello there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8020676.stm?b

Swine flu hits México, apparently it's gotten 149 of 'em.

Several cases reported elsewhere, although not nearly as many.

What I want to know is how humans got infected to start with… a one-off mutation of the original virus? Did someone fuck a pig? Several sources have denied bioterrorism as a possibility, so…

Don't pick your nose!

BBC Article said:
Good hygiene like using a tissue and washing hands thoroughly can help reduce transmission
To me, is seems like people are overreacting *just* a bit.

Mutant flu strains scare the hell out of me just as much as the next guy, but if you're not getting coughed on constantly, you're not really at risk.

Swine Flu also responds to Tamiflu and Relenza, which treat regular influenza. It's not like it's Avian Flu where you're basically screwed.

The Swine Flu seems to be spreading pretty quickly though, in a matter of days it's hit Canada.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Yeah, im mexican so there is alert :S

I dont think they are overreacting, the SEP (Education secretary of Mexico) stoped the classes for at least 10 days, which seems very suspicious.

The suspended the exam ENLACE, which is tremendously important, also.

I think we should be prepared for this, i see this very serious :S

Yes, I heard about Canada on the radio this morning.

In Vancouver, Dr. Danuta Skowronski, of B.C.'s Centre for Disease Control, told reporters that so far there is no sign in Canada of the severe respiratory illness that Mexico has been grappling with.
Sudbury, Ontario is pretty isolated, and extremely few world events/diseases haven't affected me at all. So I'll just wash my hands, put on some shorts, and go outside to enjoy the finally warm weather!

(ooh, I heard about the 9 kids being infected this morning and am unrelieved to get this news)

I don't think its hit Philadelphia yet, but I'm concerned, I come to Philly for school almost every day during the week. My mom gave me a bottle of hand-sanitizer to have on-hand though, and anyone worried I reccomend doing the same.

Yea, last time I checked, it hit both coasts of canada, 2 cases in bs and 4 cases in nova scotia I think, they say it isnt deadly though, just untreatable atm. Its dangerous cuz they dont know WHAT it can do and obviosuly how to treat.

KEEP GOOD HYGEINE OR ELSE

Hasn't hit big in Indy yet, so far as I know. While I do know the media does have a habit of overblowing things, this actually has me really concerned (although worrying about it won't help my immune system much, hah). I guess I'll just have to step up the cleanliness (not too hard, as I'm big on handwashing and stuff anyway), I guess, and take it easy if it starts feeling like I'm getting sick. I suppose my mother was right with all of her paranoid warnings about being ultra-hygenic...

Yeah, here in Mexico we have no classes until May 6, and the general recommendation is do not go outside unless it's of vital importance. Seems pretty important :|

I'm personally hoping this will blow over like the Bird Flu incident, but I might not just be grasping the seriousness of everything.

I personally think that people are over thinking about it too much but also that its blows over.
but if i somehow got it i would get as many people infected before i died lol j/k.

I'm personally hoping this will blow over like the Bird Flu incident, but I might not just be grasping the seriousness of everything.
I dunno, though. The whole Avian Flu thing died out in a matter of days. This is spreading through Europe, Asia, parts of North America, and now up into Canada while air travel is probably to blame. :/

It's probably another Bird Flu. Everybody was thinking the world was gonna end, and not a single person in America died (not sure about the rest of the world). Then again, since it spreads through lack of hygiene and a lot of children are pretty damn disgusting, you never know. =/

It got England too.

The real problem with swine flu is that unlike other flu viruses that affect the weak immune sytems of the old and young this virus seems to have claimed a lot of people lives from 20-40. People in the prime of their life which is what makes this disease such a tragedy.

I wouldnt be too worried though about a global epidemic as we are more than capable of handling disease now. Remember that a disease will not spread if only one person passes it on to one person at a time. I think it is likely that this will all blow over fairly soon.

Unless this mutates again, this should not be as bad as bird flu. Frankly though it's very likely to mutate into something that rivals or surpasses avian flu. The difference here is that unlike most flu, it gets those that actually have strong immune systems. Near huh.

Remember, fear is good in a case like this.

Everybody was thinking the world was gonna end, and not a single person in America died (not sure about the rest of the world).
That sounds a little insensitive, wouldn't you say? Just because people in America weren't killed by it doesn't mean it is irrelevant or anything less than a very serious virus...

I personally think that people are over thinking about it too much but also that its blows over.
but if i somehow got it i would get as many people infected before i died lol j/k.
That wasn't really funny.

And Death Phenomeno, you can't pass the flu through sexual transmission (That was probably a joke though lol). We did viruses a few months ago in Biology, so I'll try to remember as best I can as how flu works... But in summary, influenza mutates a lot (Which is people get vaccinated every year, because your immune system cannot recognize that it is the same virus) and when people spend too much time with certain species (birds, pigs) in close proximity (farmers) the influenza that only affects the one species (In this case swine) learns to mutate and jump hosts and you get this new strain which affects humans (Very bad). It's all to blame on farming livestock and all that jazz, but there isn't anything you can really do about that...

Why is everyone saying 'it's no biggie, the media is making this look bigger than it actually is'... But it actually is serious. There is no vaccination for this strain, and to my knowledge nobody knows the exact effects of it either (Aside from regular flu symptoms). On top of all that, it's easily spread. That is not a good combination. This indeed can get very serious. Only time will tell though...

appereantly they are confirmed cases in the united states, Canada,Spain, the united kingdom and Mexico of course. and theirs suspicions of cases in new Zeland,Australia, France,Germany, Israel,Norway,Poland,Ireland,Switzerland, Denmark,Sweden,Belgium,Colombia,Costa Rica, Peru and Brazil....that's a damm long list .also a lot of countries in Asia are restricting travel to Mexico. seems pretty serious to me..altough my source is wikipedia so i could be wrong

That sounds a little insensitive, wouldn't you say? Just because people in America weren't killed by it doesn't mean it is irrelevant or anything less than a very serious virus...
I think you misunderstood me. What I said was that I knew that nobody in America was killed, but that I didn't know the statistics for the rest of the world.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Death Phenomeno said:
What I want to know is how humans got infected to start with… a one-off mutation of the original virus? Did someone fuck a pig? Several sources have denied bioterrorism as a possibility, so…
A modified H1N1 virus would be a sucky bioterrorist agent, so that's likely why any possibility of that is being removed. Probably any murmurs about that are coming from those scares when people were afraid that once the H1N1 genome was published a few years back people could use the knowledge to act as a bioterrorist agent. For it to become a pandemic the virus would have to mutate appropriately and there is no way (currently) for a biochemist to activate some designed mutation so that's probably why bioterrorism is being ruled out (aside from the obvious that governments must have no intelligence to suggest that lol). Then again, who knows what shit DARPA is up too; maybe someone has figured it out there!

Probably the biological vector was just some random farmers who worked with pigs that were carrying the mutated H1N1.

To be honest, it's frightening when you are dealing with any type of Influenzavirus A due to the rapid mutations. The frightening thing about H1N1 in particular is how even slight changes can increase its severity. The Spanish Flu which killed something like 100 million iirc only differed in 30 places of the 4000+ amino acids. For most viruses to be communicable and deadly between humans (when it was originally housed in animals such as pigs or birds) it requires a bit more mutation and so that is why the Influenza A genus is so deadly and difficult to prepare for. However, we are obviously significantly more prepared than we were in the early 20th century so I doubt we would ever experience a loss of life on that caliber again.

I'm just happy it's not the H5N1 outbreak we've been waiting for, that has far greater damage potential than H1N1. Obviously, I'm not downplaying H1N1's effect but mine as well look at some bright side .-.

Flounder said:
Swine Flu also responds to Tamiflu and Relenza, which treat regular influenza. It's not like it's Avian Flu where you're basically screwed.
For now. There are strains we have created in laboratories and documented in people of H1N1 which are resistant to both tamaflu and relenza. All we need is a mutation to cause amino acid residue substitutions and we're screwed (unless someone can rapidly form a modified Tamiflu to combat it; I hope the CDC have people working on that lol).

Also, pandemics really do work in "cycles" ; and the fact of the matter is we are "due" for another.

TheMantyke said:
I wasn't aware the "incident" was over with. I think the media got bored with it because nobody died from it yet. It's hardily blown over and it still a larder threat than this swine flu. If the wrong (or right depending on how you look at it lol) mutation occurs, we are in for all the problems the media was all hyped about. They just got impatient, it's still very much a threat.

iKitsune said:
I wouldnt be too worried though about a global epidemic as we are more than capable of handling disease now. Remember that a disease will not spread if only one person passes it on to one person at a time. I think it is likely that this will all blow over fairly soon.
While it is unlikely we will ever suffer the losses experienced during something like the Spanish flu, several hundred thousands lives lost over the next pandemic isn't in the realm of fiction at all.

I honestly don't know what you people are thinking about that it'll "blow over like bird flu" since that never blew over. The threat is still alive and well. It's called an antigenic drift, if that happens, we are in trouble.

Luckily, a vaccine is being worked on ATM, so in 3-4 months significant progress should be being made towards its success. I feel a bit sorry for President Obama though - just after he announces a big 'lets stop cancer' scheme, this all happens - what a disappointment! Remember people, some people will have caught normal flu instead of swine flu, or may just be overreacting to what they perceive to be symptoms (remember, it's not hard to say you have any illness - symptoms are so easy to pick up, especially when they are as universal as the ones from flu). Not that their lying, but people can overreact in these circumstances. Let's wait until we have any confirmations about infections from probable ones before we call them definite.

Ok first thing first. For those that have said this is untreatable, you are dead wrong. Standard flu medications work extremely well against this and as long as you treat yourself well and rest like you would with regular influenza, recovery is no different. People in Mexico died from poor medical treatment and poor immune systems. The CDC (Center for Disease Control) has already said they do not feel it is worth it to produce a vaccine at this point because it would halt production on next years winter batch. If things change, they will order a vaccine be made (probably by Pfizer) and they have already stockpiled specimens for quick development of the vaccine. Please do not cause more panic than needed with false information.

Wash your hands regularly, take large amounts of Vitamin C and get your needed sleep. If you start to feel sick, begin taking flu meds from your local pharm. and stay home and sleep. If not better after a few days, see your doctor as he/she will issue scrip strenght meds.

Luckily, a vaccine is being worked on ATM, so in 3-4 months significant progress should be being made towards its success. I feel a bit sorry for President Obama though - just after he announces a big 'lets stop cancer' scheme, this all happens - what a disappointment! Remember people, some people will have caught normal flu instead of swine flu, or may just be overreacting to what they perceive to be symptoms (remember, it's not hard to say you have any illness - symptoms are so easy to pick up, especially when they are as universal as the ones from flu). Not that their lying, but people can overreact in these circumstances. Let's wait until we have any confirmations about infections from probable ones before we call them definite.

A vaccine is being put off, and will not be developed until needed. This is for the US of course, if you are from another country ignore what I said, but otherwise this is the truth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)