Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im really sorry if this is a nooby question that has been answered before but:

How is it that ultimatedra manages to attend every tornument?
i have $$$. I have a Car.
If you ask any pokemon TCG player, traveling is all there is.

I have been on staff at nationals in '08,and worlds in '06/'07/and '08.
my name is in those pokemon world championship booklets with the champions decks.

If you where at the Pokemon Video Game Showdown/World Championship last year, i was the guy in the little shop area selling the pokemon souvenirs.

And being in this positon, i know the head honchos on a professional level. Mike liesik, Angela durrand, Dave Schwimmer...I have worked with these guys for years.

And sence i live in utah, all the events in the west are less than a days drive. Utah is a very central state to all of this.

want proof? ask Pokemon Orgonized Play.
http://go-pokemon.com/contactus.html

Any other questions?

i have $$$. I have a Car.
If you ask any pokemon TCG player, traveling is all there is.

I have been on staff at nationals in '08,and world in '06/'07/and '08.

my name is in those pokemon world championship booklets with the champions decks.
wow your with the TCG. i miss collecting those.

Yeah last year when i was at the pokemon showdown NYC it seemed i was the youngest of all the seniors, even thou i was only 13. But im so suprised how many adults play this game, my dad wont even give it a shot.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Did you really have to quote all of those pictures and respond with two sentences, lol. Ultimatedra your pictures made me miss the good times at Orlando last year :(. I guess I'll just have to make top 4 in Philly then(but with all the bad luck people from last years top 8's are having and how many people will likely show up the odds are against me getting in). How many people who were playing in Orlando last year ended up making top 4 this year other than zerowing and iirc Berton Baily(or whatever his name was)?

Since Philly is only 2 weeks away, I might as well post what I'll likely be wearing for those of you who I don't know. I'll have the blue worlds 08 shirt that they gave away last year, and I'll probably have the lanyard that they gave away last year, but with my "Smogon" tcg card that I got in a pack of german cards last year, lol. You can also see a picture of me in my warstory from last year(located in the OP) but I have gotten taller since last year.

Nice matches, zerowing, (just saw them).

I will be attending Nashville (hopefully people will not flood the last American Regional). I was surprised that a TR team did not win Phoenix, but I guess it goes to show that it is conquerable.

From anyone who has attended (sorry for the probably asked question), how many rain dance teams have there been? I do not think I have a Rain Dance weakness or anything, but it surprised me how RD made the LA finals last year and littered Japan this year.

LOL PBB, you the best battler not picked at Phoenix? Sure...keep dreaming.

Or rather, once I get my wifi fix, I'll kick your butt over it :P

zerowing, do you mind me asking what item you would recommend on a Garchomp? I'm thinking Lum, Haban, or Orb, and I'm leaning towards Lum to stop any DV Smeargles I may come across. Which did you use?

He used Lum Berry, since when he attacked his health didn't go down 10% due to Life Orb recoil, and if he had used Haban Berry he might not have protected when he did in the finals video found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI7y2RtYzXU

Plus he told me it was Lum Berry.
Yeah, zerowing practically always starts his leads w/ anti-sleepers just incase of Dark Void. He even designed batpigs team to have Dusk using Chesto and Machamp with Lum, which is pretty smart though not popular.
Most people would prefer Scarf or Yache on Chomp, but he's always doing his own sets and getting championship titles.

Hehe, nice reasoning PBB. I figured as much. I've been using Lum in my practices with a few other people on NB. I'm still a little shaky on my decision to use Garchomp over Swampert or Mamoswine, though. I feel like if I win Nashville, everyone will accuse me of copying zerowing, when in actuality, I got the idea from last year's NYC winner, Bonta-kun. I mean, using Aboma was my idea without outside influence. I don't want to be accused of copying his exact same team (which mine is). What should I do?

The people who accuse you will be the jealous people, the people who are smart and recognize good strategies and know that using the best strategy available to you is the smartest one, no matter if it's the more popular or 'cheap' one, will congratulate you, so who cares what others think and play to win a trip!

To be honest, if you can win with it, it's a compliment to whoever 'created' it, since that means it's a solid team and does it's job.

Plus if it gets you to St. Louis, does it really matter? :P

Phantasm, we're from Smogon. It doesn't matter if we "cheat" or copy someone else. As long as something is allowed according to the rules, you should do it if it increases your odds of winning. For example, no where in the rules does it say that you can't have a friend look at other people's matches, or that you can't bring notes (although TPCi officials might count it as cheating and DQ you, the rules can be stretched far). As far as I'm concerned, copying someone's strategy isn't against the rules. Actually...

Originally Posted by Fat http://go-pokemon.com/worlds/2008/

THE TEAMS OF CHAMPIONS

When the dust finally settled at the Pokémon Video Game Showdown, only two Trainers remained standing.
One conquering Trainer was Junior Champion Knight Silvayne, and the other was Senior Champion Izuru Yoshimura. These Trainers didn’t defeat the competition by standing alone. Each had a team of four prized Pokémon at his side, perfectly trained and prepped for the day’s challenge. Take a closer look at each Champion’s team, and perhaps pick up a trick or two that you can use to improve your own team’s performance.
Considering the fact that M.O.L.F. Party was made and used by Izuru Yoshimura, and the fact that Diesel used a modified version of it to get to second, you can say that copying is intended, as it improves your odds of winning. Last year, BlueCookies got to Top 4 in NYC using M.O.L.F. Party, while the Hiroshima preliminary runner up for 2009 got to second using M.O.L.F., and was only beaten by Izuru himself. Halordain's Rain Dance team has been copied by many (unfortunately most who used it failed). If you look at my team, it is a modified version of one of the champions of one of the preliminaries.

@Misquito: Interesting. I'll have to look into this and have some fun. If those teams look interesting, maybe I'll copy them onto my PBR and let my m8 use them against my own teams to devise a superior strategy. Not probable from a rookie, but possible.

EDIT: And yet I can't seem to find the teams you speak of. My lack of being familiar with the site, I suppose. I even checked the Finals from last year on YouTube, and I can't seem to figure it out. *drops head in shame*

I'm going to look again..

EDIT 3: And fail again while I get rickrolled. Goddamn it, Da Letter El!

What time have you guys been getting out these tourneys? I'm trying to figure out whether I should drive back home that night, or get another hotel room and drive back the next day.

I have a question, at the events did they have a giftshop like at JAA? I wanted to buy a hat or something as a souvenir in case I don't get picked lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)