1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Discussion in 'VGC' started by makiri, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Alakapimp

Alakapimp All washed up
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

heh, I saw a belly drum in thar

but seriously, why is it 99% juniors <_<
  2. dtrain

dtrain

Cause Pokemon is a kids game duuuuh
  3. Huy

Huy INSTANT BALLS
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Children are the future of this game.
  4. mattj

mattj blatant Nintendo fanboy

marketing.
  5. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I'm going to be writing a Worlds Article, and I'd like confirmation on the finalists teams if possible, so far I'm looking at:

Can anybody fill in some more blanks?
  6. Zog

Zog

I don't think anybody knows Hippowdon. Shoe fought it and Mano; I'll ask him when I see him. Can't guarantee any more info though. :P
  7. Huy

Huy INSTANT BALLS
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Hippowdon had Protect. Also one of his items was a lum.
  8. Zog

Zog

And whoah nice one Donut! Just noticed this post. Big thanks to slimceagirl too.

Lol Donut, by the way Shoe says you're a really nice guy. :P

Edit: Awww they didn't air Shoe trading his shiny Aipom for Magnezone. Oh well. Does anyone have one of those Sableyes by the way?
  9. viperGTS

viperGTS

Moltres had a focus sash. It survived explosion from snorlax in the first match and a message popped up right after its HP fell.
  10. Alakapimp

Alakapimp All washed up
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

it was also scarfed at some points, like most teams the items were moved around. I think the best way to lay it out is to do all the pokemon and movesets and then the six items at the bottom
  11. drug_duck

drug_duck

... just like the way one had to fill out these team information sheets
  12. Havak

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Good idea Alakapimp, I might look into getting someone to HTML it in that format.

However, it might be a bit pointless to post unfinished teams in an article, so I may not post all the information we have unless I can find it all.
  13. Mosquito

Mosquito

There was definitely Rain Dance on Salamence and not Hydro Pump. I translated the move when watching the vid, and why would Salamence use 210 power Draco Meteor (STAB) vs 240 power Hydro Pump (SE) if it had it?

Also, here are Kazuyuki Tsuji's items:
    Choice Scarf (Metagross?)
    Focus Sash (Toxicroak)
    Lum Berry (Empoleon/Ludicolo?)
    Wacan Berry (Empoelon)
    Sitrus Berry (Salamence)
    Cutsap Berry (Snorlax)
  14. Zog

Zog

Ha, Shoe just found an interview with Sadman on the ONM website.

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=10679

Has a picture of me on it lol. And for the record, the caption "Sadman defeats another opponent" isn't strictly true. The picture was taken when he got the opening crit, not after the battle lol. It's more of an "Oh, fuck." facepalm than a "NOOOO!" one, which it looks a lot like given the context.
  15. Pokérob

Pokérob

They're introduced Leagues for the video game series. Go check your nearest league guys.

Also, 2010 information on the date held has been revealed.
  16. Wichu

Wichu ACUPRESSURE
    is a Pokemon Researcher

Wait, where does it say that?
  17. flash_mc

flash_mc

I Think it's only for TCG

18. Havak

I'm expecting it to be for Video Game players too, I sent an e-mail earlier this afternoon so I'm hoping to get a reply soon.
  19. flash_mc

flash_mc

I mean, it's probably they do it for VGC too, but right now the places announced are only confirmed for TCG...
  20. Havak

As far as I know, the Pokémon League's are run all over the world, and while they are mainly TCG events, player's are now encouraged to come along with their DS and video games. So, any event that is a TCG Event will also be a VGC Event at the same time, unless stated otherwise (eg. A TCG-only tournament).

Use the League Locator to find a League near you, I found one in Manchester, England, so I'm seeing if the first meeting (on Wednesday 23rd here in England) is also a VGC event.

League's are basically 'for fun'. TCG and VGC player's will turn up and battle others randomly for fun. You'll have a scorecard to mark how many matches you've played, and you'll be able to recieve prizes if you play enough games. It doesn't matter if you win or lose. However, there will also be tournament play. It'll be stated whether the tournament is TCG or VGC.

Hopefully it's all starting together next week.

I think the evidence is pretty clear now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the Score Card for the 'Rival Season' of the Pokémon League. This League Season will run from 9th September 2009 until 26th October 2009. On the image of Snorlax, it clearly says "Video Game", hence the scoring for VGC player's being pretty much announced. So we can start going along and battling people as early as next week.
  21. Alakapimp

Alakapimp All washed up

BUT, they are completely meant as a sideshow, I submitted to start a league with vgc as its main focus and was rejected saying that tcg should be the main focus of any pokemon league, still a step in the right direction, if a very very miniscule one.
  22. Havak

Yeh, VGC is clearly a side event, but at least it's there.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)