The Fysical Phitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think running is the BEST way to stay in shape. I run cross country and track and I never have to worry about what I eat. It builds up your lungs, endurance, and leg muscles. It also burns tons of calories. I'm not saying go out and run 5 miles (no right away) but you couyld easily work up to that by running about a quater of a mile then walking a little then doing that again and eventually increasing the distance / shortening the recovery. Make sure to stretch though, or you'll tighten up and become sore

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'll try to get one up sometime soon, I've gained a kilo or since since my last post but I'm not sure how noticeable it is.
grrr, couldn't sort out my camera so shitty cellphone photo ahead

Not sure where the kilo is but I've been hammering the pull-ups lately (like 60+ every day for the past week) so it could be the shoulders or lats. It's been nearly a month since I last ran and it's killlllling me, I think I'm having withdrawal symptoms but I'm recovering well. It's now only two months till my army defferal expires so I'm in a cheery mood tbqh. :)

Did you get it, Bam?

Naw..

Bumping.

So I didn't get it..but I found out I still have one more day (Monday) so I'm going to squat hard tomorrow or tonight and then rest and stretch a lot up until the day of.

I actually got the closest I've ever come to hitting it, though. I got it up high enough and actually had it all the way up - my elbows above my shoulders, but I was down in a squat position and when I started coming up my foot slid off the platform I was standing on and I had to throw the weight forwards so it wouldn't land on me. I was in a pretty deep squat but I'm pretty sure I would've been able to bring it up from that low as I usually do 4x5 at 215lbs with just regular deep squats without much trouble. Oh well.

Was watching lifting accident vids on youtube earlier and they scare me. Like this one..
But I was very close. I have tomorrow as my last day unless I can somehow get access to a clean station over the summer. I know I can get it tomorrow...just gotta get pumped up.

i feel like i am going through withdrawals as well. just finished hell week for finals and wasn't able to do much of anything other than pushups, chinups and core work cause of all the studying and stress. you never really realize how much it takes to keep yourself where you are until you are forced to take time off haha.

Is that even real? That's completely disgusting. His penis is probably nonexistant from being smashed between those massive thighs, not even taking into account the effects of roids on men's sexual organs!

If anyone has any questions about working out I might be able to help.
I joined my high school football team and the first practices start in a few weeks. I've been weight lifting five times a week and drinking whey protein shakes (the shakes you make from powder), along with eating really well and getting alot of protein in my diet. I can see some progress in my body but i'm not sure if i'm doing enough because I'm not the biggest guy in the world and I really want gain some mass. Is there anything in particular you'd advise me to do?

If anyone else wants to give me some tips you can feel free to do so, I'd love any advice you can give.

Well, I have mass-gaining problems so I can help you out.

For starters... Eat. A lot... like every 3 hours.. you should be swallowing down 5-6 meals a day if you want to gain mass. Good food is obviously going to be eggs, your lean meats, milk and chocolate milk (ditch the whey, the milk is better and cheaper), peanut butter... etc.. basically just eat as much as you can (just not fast food shit).

As far as the workout is concerned if you want to gain mass limit your cardio to probably once a week, no more than twice. Also, two a days help if you can stomach it because you can get more rest between workouts since you can go down to 3 times a week rather than 5-6. REST IS PROBABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO GAINING MASS... make sure your getting at least 7 hours of sleep. You grow when your resting, not working out. Remember, work smarter not harder :)

But the science of gaining any kind of weight is to consume more calories than you burn, its that simple. So if you want to gain a lb of week, aim for a 500 caloric surplus a week. Since all your work is going to your muscles, you won't pack on fat (you may, but the percentage will probably be proportioned or less to the gained muscle, so if your 10% body fat, you may pack on 10% or less of fat also). The extra calories will go towards rebuilding your muscles. If your give your body the materials and rest to grow, it will.. just give it time.

Keep good form. No matter what you're doing, you'll want to keep your back straight (not entirely straight, but in it's natural curved form). More weight/less reps is better for building mass than less weight/more reps. Don't overstress yourself, and although you want to reach your limit, don't go past it - it's a fine line.

Don't skip out on specific lifts. If you only squat and never bench, you'll get out of proportion. Work all of your muscles. And as rl said, get lots of rest.

i mix my whey protein in my chocolate milk hahaha. never work the same muscle groups on the same days, you want to give your muscles time to rest ( a day is usually pretty good) so switch off on which groups you work out on gym days.

If you only squat and never bench, you'll get out of proportion. Work all of your muscles.
Yes, and to reiterate that do not forget to work on your legs... I think I read somewhere that you gain mass more by making sure you do legwork. Something to do with legs being so massive and demanding that your body prioritizes the repair I think.

Lee

@ Thick Club
I'm intrigued by all of this emphasis on rest and I'm just curious how strict you guys are on it. I'll generally train around 2-3 hours a day, 6 days a week with one day rest (two tops). As a rule of thumb I'll only rest when I physically can't train and absolutely need to rest. People often tell me how stupid I am for training like this but it's the way I've always done it and I've never had any problems with any aspect of physical fitness.

What's the best way to work out without gym equipments? The only thing that I have with me is a 30 lbs dumbbell and I was wondering how I can maximize my workout sessions. I usually just do various ab works, curls, push ups, pull ups and running.

do elevated pushups, push ups with your hands on top of each other, pushups with your hands 3 feet apart, etc. Those should be decent enough for you chest and triceps at the start.

For biceps i would suggest doing curls (if you can) and pull ups, if you can find an area to do them.

FOr legs running is fine, but you should throw in some squats with weights and try some one legged squats if you have good enough balanced. You could also do calf raises on a set of stairs with a thirty in each hand.

With only 30 pound dumbells it will be harder to work out to your full potential, but with creativity and initiative you should still be able to get a decent workout

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Today I decided to do some controlled negative chinups before doing some pushups, and found that when I hit the pushups I could barely move my arms after the 3rd set of 5. Lesson learnt - chinups and pushups use some of the same muscles!

I think I'll now spread my chinup practice to other days. I'm doing crunches and pushups on Sunday/Tuesday/Thursday evenings, and chinups/pullups (eventually) on Monday/Wednesday/Friday mornings. I'll eventually build up the amount of different exercises I do and also throw in some cardio (when it suits me).

Compound exercises seem to be the way forward in terms of getting a balanced figure... Just need to get myself into some more cardio exercises. I think I'll start swimming when I move in month's time (give me some time to tone up/diet), and maybe join some sports clubs at my uni. At the moment the only cardio I'm getting is sex and the occasional game of squash :/

chin ups and pushups dont really use many of the same muscles at all haha
pushups are all pushing muscles and chin ups are all pulling muscles......

you were probably just wiped out from doing something that your body isn't used to.

I'm looking for some sprinting exercises/tips. Anything would be helpful. I've decided to take my next season of soccer very seriously, and my sprinting speed is probably one of my weakest points. As of now my only real idea of what to do is just windsprints. I was hoping someone out there might have some more ideas for me to try out. I'd love to try running up hills, but unfortunately have no steep hills do this with :/

While searching the internet I came across this site: http://www.athleticquickness.com/page.asp?page_id=82. Like most people I'm pretty skeptical about anything someone tries to sell you on the internet. I am however very interested to see if anyone has any experiences with something like this resistance band, and if so was it very effective or not. If I learn it is indeed effective then I certainly would consider it.

I'd also like to know how often I should be doing these exercises. I was planning on every other day(with endurance training filling the gap), but several people have said to have plenty of rest days. So basically I'm also curious about the answer to Lee's question a few posts above.

You only need rest days when you feel like you need it. Just get enough food and sleep and listen to your body. It's just that muscles grow while resting, not while working them out, so 48 hours rest between working a certain muscle group hard (cardio doesn't work your muscles hard) is the general number.

I'm intrigued by all of this emphasis on rest and I'm just curious how strict you guys are on it. I'll generally train around 2-3 hours a day, 6 days a week with one day rest (two tops). As a rule of thumb I'll only rest when I physically can't train and absolutely need to rest. People often tell me how stupid I am for training like this but it's the way I've always done it and I've never had any problems with any aspect of physical fitness.
Consider yourself lucky, Lee. Me I get pooped when I work out :)

Originally Posted by Luphrous
I'm looking for some sprinting exercises/tips. Anything would be helpful. I've decided to take my next season of soccer very seriously, and my sprinting speed is probably one of my weakest points. As of now my only real idea of what to do is just windsprints.
I don't believe your article either haha. Speed is natural unfortuantey... However, like all training / workouts, you can maximize your genetic potential. I played soccer all my life, and I went to Don Beebees house of speed (if you don't know him, Buffalo Bills WR years ago, was a short white guy that ran a 4.2 in the 40 yard dash!)

Basically.. what I took from that is speed has 4 key elements you can improve:

Form: Watch olympic sprinters... study everything. Perfect your form. That's the most important thing.

Quickness: This is more important in soccer IMO. Do you have an agility ladder? I suggest getting one of those and working on that everyday to increase your foot quickness.

Strength: Strengthening your core, shoulders, and legs will ultimately make you more explosive and a powerful runner.

Flexibility: Flexibility is overlooked. The best sprinters are all flexible as shit. Stretch several times a day like a madman and this will increase your speed and quickness. Flexibility gives you better turnover (in addition to making you less likely to pull something!) and stride length since your muscles can contort more.

Form: Watch olympic sprinters... study everything. Perfect your form. That's the most important thing.
So true I can't say much more about it.
Quickness: This is more important in soccer IMO. Do you have an agility ladder? I suggest getting one of those and working on that everyday to increase your foot quickness.
I call it "speed workout." Yeah, doing sprints helps whether you play soccer or run distance or whatever (XC runners unite!)
Strength: Strengthening your core, shoulders, and legs will ultimately make you more explosive and a powerful runner.
Indeed.
Flexibility: Flexibility is overlooked. The best sprinters are all flexible as shit. Stretch several times a day like a madman and this will increase your speed and quickness. Flexibility gives you better turnover (in addition to making you less likely to pull something!) and stride length since your muscles can contort more.
Yep.

Running is 50% mental, 40% cardio, and 10% abs, or so we say. If you got the mental half down, you're pretty much set for life.

EDIT: Luphrous, advice for you.
For speed, I do speed workouts every Monday. However, I'm a distance runner, so you may need more, or more reps of a shorter distance. A speed workout is typically composed of 800's, 600's, and 400's (in meters- about a half-mile, 3/8s of a mile, a quarter mile if you're unmetric like me) run in groups, with a brief recovery in between. Start with some 800's- at the beginning you'll probably just do two. The recovery between each should be walking about 100m, then coming back. Do not sit down, ever, as this locks up your muscles. Then you can do a couple 600's and 400's. Same recovery, etc. If you need less speed for longer sprints and you're going for more of a "hundred-meter dash" (I'm not sure which one you would need in soccer) you can tone it down to 400's, 200's, and 100's. You don't need to buy stuff off the internet, you just need good running shoes which you can find from a local store.
As for how often, do some kind of workout every day. One rest day a week is plenty, you don't need more than that.

And as for the "best way to work out" that everyone is asking, it depends what you're trying to do. Running and some weight lifting works fine- but if you're a runner, you don't want to get too buff.

but if you're a runner, you don't want to get too buff.
Well... normally I would agree but since this is for soccer extra strength has its pros and cons.. especially for shielding the ball and contested headers, etc. However yes, being bigger means you will have less stamina in the game (which is all about conditioning, really).

I think for sprints he should actually just do suicides on a soccer field. Nothing tells the accurate distances more than the actual field itself. I played soccer in high school then tried track and found them to be extremely different forms of running (I was fast in soccer, but sucked in track haha). Soccer has more "quick bursts" than the single burst at the start of a 100. And since a soccer field is only 120 yards long, you will almost never run that full 100, or in a straight line.

Lee

@ Thick Club
Fartlek's great for speed training as well as overall endurance but if you want to fully isolate the sprint training then you're probably best just finding a distance about 300-400m and just going flat out across it. Take a short rest (no more than 2 mins I'd say) and then repeat about 10 times. Use a watch to time yourself on the first set and try not to let it drop too much as you tire. That's always been one of my favorite speed sessions. Hill-running is also fantastic - running up a hill is great for power and shit but the speed is actually gained when you run down the hill as you speed up due to the momentum and your body begins to adjust to that.

Okay I have a question about running.

I've been always trying to convince myself to start running but I just cant because whenever I do run the right side of my stomach hurts to the point that I cant run anymore. It is not my legs that are tired its just that my sides hurt to the point where I cant handle it anymore and I just stop to a power walk.

Is this normal for a newbie 'runner' or is this abnormal?

EDIT: Also what are some effective or just any exercises that work the abdominals/obliques? Right now I just do crunches, twisting crunches, leg raise (the one that Lee posted within the last couple pages) and I feel that it isn't enough. Or maybe I'm just paranoid so just tell me :p

Lee

@ Thick Club
That just sounds like a stitch, which to my understanding is a pain caused around the lung area due to the body struggling to get enough oxygen to cope with the demands placed on it. It's perfectly normal in new runners (in fact, I'd be worried if you didn't get it) and will gradually become less and less frequent/noticeable as you gain cardiovascular fitness. Just fight through the pain in the meanwhile.

That sounds like a good enough abs workout to me if you're complimenting it with a few miles of running a day. You can experiment with those leg raises and do shit like opening and closing your legs, crossing your legs over back and forth etc. You could also try holding a weight to your chest while you do sit ups, just to add a little extra resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)