np: Stage 3 - Family Reunion ("This Is Why I Created" Remix)

Garchomp's really are everywhere. The fact that everyone has a Garchomp AND a chomp counter really shows how much people want to abuse all the power that it has. I'm really not sure if he's uber worthy though. He'd definetly be one the most used and effective sweepers in the OU tier, but if you know what to do when you see one its pretty easy to wall/revenge kill. On the other hand though, if he does get to set up and start sweeping he can also easily sweep a team, where things like SD Lucario, SD Scizor, DD Gyara, etc can still be stopped after they set up if you play properly. But i guess you could say that about YacheChomp too. So as you can see, I still hard for me to see whether its Uber or not. I think it'll probably be decided that its still Uber when this stage ends though.

Latios without Soul Dew doesn't really seem Uber worthy to me. Yeah, its powerful, but its been pretty predictable in every match I've played against it. Even when I'm using it people seem to have a good chance at guessing what I'm going to do. Usually everyone is just running choice scarf/specs and its pretty easy to figure out which. It'd probably just be used as another revenge killer like Heatran if it were voted to be OU or a more powerful SpecsMence

Skymin is fragile, but beastly. Even Blissey can't stand up to it with a couple seed flares (granted its SpD lowers, which it does alot of the time). Its definetly a high risk high reward situation, but I'm still not sure if it fits in well to the OU enviroment. I don't see Skymin sweeping a whole team, but it definetly has potential to cripple teams. So i'm not really sure if its Uber worthy or not.

I'm really interested to see how all this turns out.

Suspect Garchomp seems much like Standard Scizor to me. He's not got a ridiculously high usage because he is broken and people are abusing that in any particular way, he seems to have such a high usage because he's incredibly damn useful.

Suspect Garchomp seems much like Standard Scizor to me. He's not got a ridiculously high usage because he is broken and people are abusing that in any particular way, he seems to have such a high usage because he's incredibly damn useful.
This is probably because with Latios and Skymin around it can't just SD up or spam Earthquakes. If those two are taken out Garchomp will probably take a lot more of a sweeping role like it did pre-Platinum.
This has probably been said somewhere, but I just wanted to confirm: is the Suspect EXP calculated on an account-by-account basis or as the sum of all the accounts on one IP? Given the popularity of alt accounts it's probably the latter, but do we have to inform the admins on which accounts we used?

Going from how previous tests worked, I'd imagine it's an account-by-account basis. At the end of the test (or when a vote begins if we decide to vote on something before the end), Jumpman will post a list of accounts that met the voting criteria, then you confirm all of the accounts that are yours.
I'd probably use a main account for getting most of your EXP on, and just use alt accounts to test things out.

I am also a little confused on the Suspect EXP thing. Which of these is correct or closest to being correct?

Scenario 1: Each suspect has a certain EXP value (ex Skymin: 4, Garchomp: 3, Latios and Manaphy: 2, Latias: 1). Each match you use (and possibly win) with suspects on your team adds each of those suspects' EXPs to your running total. When you have a certain total, you are eligible to vote for all suspects.

Scenario 2: Each suspect has a certain EXP goal (ex Skymin: 60, Garchomp: 55, Latios and Manaphy: 45, Latias: 30). Each match you use a suspect (and possibly win) is recorded. When you have used a suspect enough times to equal the EXP goal, you are eligible to vote for that suspect.

2 weeks in sooo reporting for update. I will be playing less due to chronic illness.

After switching Shaymin from a full-on attacker I noticed
Shaymin-s is definitley not as sturdy as I had once recalled.
Oh the horror of a neutral to SR shaymin.
Manaphy is a great sport. And can function well without Rain. Most of the sets I see are Sub, CM/Tailglow, Surf/icebeam,Filler
Due to Rain Dances time restriction and noteably Obamasnow. Rest Manaphy should not be out of the limits of reason to allow in. Just don't bring in Kyorge. Plzthx.
Garchomp is hilarious. I love him so much. He's like the Ex-boyfriend with relationship issues that always f*cks you over, but you still yearn for him. He and Shaymin-s make up the strongest Suspects from what I have witnessed. He has the ability to take advantage of a wide array of items: Leftovers, Choice Band/Scarf, Yatche/Haban/Lum/Salac/Liechi Berries, Brightpowder. The movepool Garchomp touts is very wide:Swords Dance, Outrage,EarthQuake,Fire Fang/Blast, Dragon Claw, Draco Meteor, Sub, Crunch,Stone Edge, Roar. Garchomps Offensive prowess will remain intact almost every time using any of those combinations solidifying to his Uber factor.

I have no comment on Latias/os as they bore me. I wish I got to see more of Deoxy. Particularily Spike/offensive Deoxy.

Few questions

Is this whole process going to be over in 8 weeks or is that when the first vote will be? And during the vote are we just voting on Skymin or all of the suspects?

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
we'll be voting on all of the suspects. the total length depends on how many suspects are voted uber. if theyre all voted uber we're done, and if they're all voted ou we're done. anything else and we have to test with the 1-4 suspects that are voted ou just to be sure they, in essence, still play nice with each other like family members are supposed to

we'll be voting on all of the suspects. the total length depends on how many suspects are voted uber. if theyre all voted uber we're done, and if they're all voted ou we're done. anything else and we have to test with the 1-4 suspects that are voted ou just to be sure they, in essence, still play nice with each other like family members are supposed to
So about how long until the next suspect voting?

In the OP it says about 8 weeks and that was posted 2 weeks ago so probably around 6

also do you get suspect experience when the suspect is just on your team or do you actually have to use it in battle

also do you get suspect experience when the suspect is just on your team or do you actually have to use it in battle
It would make sense to have a higher chance of gaining more suspect EXP when using the suspect itself, unless the circumstances of the battle do not necessitate or allow the actual use of the suspect. Either way, I feel one gets a better assessment of the suspects by actually using it, as you can form your own opinion of how well it performs; it's likely you can deal with your opponent's suspect pokemon, so why not see how your opponent reacts to it?

Also, how would you not be using the suspect if it's in your team to begin with? I mean, if you manage to beat the opponent without having to use the suspect, you should gain some exp anyways, as that seems understandable.

Well I have a team with a few suspects so I always end up using 1 or 2 but I may not use all of them
That should end up working, as you'll be continously battling. Don't forget that a good suspect exp rating primarily comes from a good rating/deviation and along with continued (and good) use of the suspect.

I would think that battling against the suspects should give some suspect EXP as well. That would also possible help curb the inevitable centralisation that comes from being essentially "forced" to have one out of a specific group of five pokemon on your team.

I would think that battling against the suspects should give some suspect EXP as well. That would also possible help curb the inevitable centralisation that comes from being essentially "forced" to have one out of a specific group of five pokemon on your team.
I'm rather certain it does as well, but it seems logical to me that one would gain more SEXP by using the suspect rather than just battling against it.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It would make sense to have a higher chance of gaining more suspect EXP when using the suspect itself, unless the circumstances of the battle do not necessitate or allow the actual use of the suspect. Either way, I feel one gets a better assessment of the suspects by actually using it, as you can form your own opinion of how well it performs; it's likely you can deal with your opponent's suspect pokemon, so why not see how your opponent reacts to it?

Also, how would you not be using the suspect if it's in your team to begin with? I mean, if you manage to beat the opponent without having to use the suspect, you should gain some exp anyways, as that seems understandable.
your first paragraph makes total sense, but it contradicts your second—why, if you have a suspect on your team but do not use it, should you gain sexp for that suspect in that battle (unless your opponent uses the same suspect)? you didn't actually use it, so why would I be "understanding" and give you sexp for that suspect?

either way i'm glad you guys are asking questions about how sexp is gained, most others are making assumptions (most of them incorrect!)

My current team only has one suspect on it. I built the team around trying to stop as many of the suspects as possible. IMO, if I try my hardest to counter the threats in this metagame (the suspects, for the most part), and find it easy/hard to do so, then aren't I getting experience with the suspects? Isn't part of this testing process trying to figure out if the suspects can be stopped? Don't get me wrong, I think you can gain valuable information by using the suspects at hand, however, I think you can also gain just as much information by trying to stop the suspects. Figuring out if they can thrive or not in an OU environment is what this is all about, afterall, and how accurate of a test can it be if everybody opted to only use the suspects?

I guess what I'm saying is, I hope the sexp is not wholly based on whether or not you actually use the suspects yourself. I think you can gain a lot of suspect experience just by being able to, or not being able to handle a suspect.

I hope this post made sense... I typed it up while taking a break after pulling an all-nighter studying for one of my finals. I have a feeling that what I just said will come out as super confusing though <_<

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My current team only has one suspect on it. I built the team around trying to stop as many of the suspects as possible. IMO, if I try my hardest to counter the threats in this metagame (the suspects, for the most part), and find it easy/hard to do so, then aren't I getting experience with the suspects? Isn't part of this testing process trying to figure out if the suspects can be stopped? Don't get me wrong, I think you can gain valuable information by using the suspects at hand, however, I think you can also gain just as much information by trying to stop the suspects. Figuring out if they can thrive or not in an OU environment is what this is all about, afterall, and how accurate of a test can it be if everybody opted to only use the suspects?

I guess what I'm saying is, I hope the sexp is not wholly based on whether or not you actually use the suspects yourself. I think you can gain a lot of suspect experience just by being able to, or not being able to handle a suspect.

I hope this post made sense... I typed it up while taking a break after pulling an all-nighter studying for one of my finals. I have a feeling that what I just said will come out as super confusing though <_<
Don't worry, it made sense.

I agree a lot of valuable experience is gained from playing against other suspects, but a lot of valuable information can be gained by using the Suspects yourself; unique information you may have not realized without using them yourselves. It's a given that on the Suspect Ladder you will encounter a lot of the Suspects, but the SEXP requirement is there to (forcibly) supplement your experiences to improve your ability to make a good decision come voting time. Essentially, Jump and Aeolus desire that the voters have the best possible background to come to the best decisions and that is what the SEXP is for. People who have both experiences playing with and playing against Suspects are most likely to have the best knowledge base to come up with a quality decision.

I'll let Jump answer any specifics of the formulation, but just play with the suspects a decent amount of the time and I'm sure you will qualify. I don't think you have to use a team of Shaymin-S, Garchomp, Latios, Latias, and Manaphy every match; just use the suspects on a reasonable level and I'm sure you will qualify.

Is using a variety of sets on the suspects a factor? I think the most dangerous sets for each one are obvious through theory and experience, but actually using things rather than theorizing seems to be emphasized here; should we be experimenting with all the viable sets? It's been stated repeatedly that sets like lead Deoxys-S and YacheChomp which weren't immediately obvious were a large part of their ban - should we be trying to find these 'killer' (lol) movesets?

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Looks like I won't be voting this round, my Shoddy inexplicably quit working. "Unable to launch application" every time I try to play, for the last two weeks or so.

Is this true i saw a few pages back that deoxys-s and latios are going to saty in ubers. is that real or was it just an assumption?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)