SoulRed's Warstory #1 (UU match)

This is a UU match versus DarkBladeSceptile, a great player who gave me an extremely fun match. I won't give away the ending, but just read along and you'll find out what happens. My hope is to make it as interesting as possible for you guys through the magic of editing.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause

I'm not going to just slap an entire boring log in your face. I'm going to take you through what I call "rounds," describing the fight as it goes along. "Rounds" begin and end when a pokemon on either team faints; there are ten of them in this warstory. Next, I'll be speaking from my own point of view, so I won't show his team until he does during the battle. Finally, some battle log lines will be used for clarity, but you won't get any pointless leftovers or poison damage, etc. (except for at one point, where showing poison damage is important in order to show how one poke fainted).

My Team:

-----------------------------
~~Round 1~~

DarkBladeSceptile sent out Crobat (lvl 100 Crobat ?).
sr12 sent out Registeel (lvl 100 Registeel).

----------------
DBS leads off with a crobat, an excellent lead which I have used multiple times with great success even in OU. Now, I usually predict the taunt on quick leads like crobat and (in OU) aerodactyl, but in a battle before this I got confuse-rayed, which was pretty annoying. So I'm going to try putting up some rocks, on the off chance it used another move or u-turned out of there.

Crobat used Taunt.
Registeel fell for the taunt!
Registeel used Stealth Rock.
Registeel can't use Stealth Rock after the taunt!

I'm not sure why a Registeel would care about being taunted...being a mysterious superpower pokemon with no ears. Maybe crobat sign-languaged a your mama joke at it or something. At any rate, he gets pissed off by the taunt for one reason or another, and stealth rock is blocked. Aah well.

Okay, obviously crobat can't do diddly squat to a registeel, so he's probably just going to u-turn. I'm going to try an earthquake, because it's unlikely that he'll have another poke immune to it.

Crobat used U-turn.
It's not very effective...
Registeel lost 5% of its health.

Yep, there's the u-turn. Whatever it is that comes in probably at the very least won't resist my e/q and I'll get some damage.

DarkBladeSceptile switched in Magneton (lvl 100 Magneton).
Registeel used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Magneton lost 100% of its health.
DarkBladeSceptile's Magneton fainted.

Amazing! One innocent prediction got rid of one of my most horrible counters. An excellent move on his part overall (though I was packing shed shell), but it was unfortunate for him that I happened to go with the earthquake instead of overpredicting with ice punch or the explosion.

Score: 6-5

~~Round 2~~

So now he's considering what to do next. He's thinking...oh, now he's ready.

DarkBladeSceptile switched in Espeon (lvl 100 Espeon ?).

An ESPEON? Versus a registeel? I have absolutely no idea where he's going with this. I guess I'll just have Registeel send an earthquake its way; maybe he has no other counters to registeel, and he's just planning to calm mind a few times for some boosts before baton passing out, or something.

Espeon used Trick.
Espeon obtained Shed Shell!
Registeel obtained Choice Specs!
Espeon lost 41% of its health.

Well wasn't I wrong. This was completely unexpected...! My physical wall is now pretty crippled. =[ Well this guy probably has another trick up his sleeve (HAR HAR), so I'm going to swap out to my special wall who's also packing an SE STAB shadow ball with Espeon's name on it.

DarkBladeSceptile switched in Crobat (lvl 100 Crobat ?).
sr12 switched in Mismagius (lvl 100 Mismagius ?).

Darn...I guess he decided Espeon has done its job. Probably expected another earthquake.

Well Mismagius isn't meant to take physical hits, but it IS packing a nice will-o-wisp as its primary defense against physical attackers...Ah what the heck, crobat isn't THAT powerful, I'll take a turn and burn this guy.

Crobat used Brave Bird.
Mismagius lost 69% of its health.
Crobat was hit by recoil!
Crobat lost 21% of its health.
Mismagius used Will-o-wisp.
Mismagius's attack missed!

Of course. Of COURSE. I have the worst luck with will-o-wisp. Well mismagius really can't do anything, and I'm half expecting him to predict a switch and roost off the recoil damage, so I'm going to try another will o wisp and see what happens.

Crobat used Brave Bird.
Mismagius lost 37% of its health.
sr12's Mismagius fainted.
Crobat lost 11% of its health.

Yeah. No such luck.

Score: 5-5

~~Round 3~~

sr12 switched in Registeel (lvl 100 Registeel).

Here comes Mr. registeel again.

Crobat used Taunt.
Registeel fell for the taunt!
Registeel used Ice Punch.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Crobat lost 70% of its health.

Shoot... two things just went wrong for me on that turn. I did expect the taunt because crobat really is too valuable to allow the use of stealth rocks. However, I certainly expected ice punch to do more damage to it. I did get the crit, but even so I only did 70%. The second problem, was that I forgot that I was specs-ed. So now I'm stuck on ice punch, and of course:

Crobat used Roost.
Crobat restored 50% of its health.
Registeel
used Ice Punch.
Crobat lost 20% of its health.

All he has to do is sit there roosting until I'm forced to struggle. No way am I going to wait for another crit, so I'm just going to change to someone else. It's pretty obvious that I'll get a free turn to switch in while he roosts again.

But looking over my team, everyone left in my party is slower than crobat and they all take SE damage from a brave bird, save my primary sweeper, Feraligatr. I don't like to bring him out early, because it's usually important for him to be a surprise at the end of the game. Now, though, I have no choice.

sr12 switched in Feraligatr (lvl 100 Feraligatr ?).
Crobat used Roost.
Crobat restored 48% of its health.

There's the roost. Good, I got a safe switch in. Time for him to get a nice ice punch to the face.

Crobat used U-turn.
Feraligatr lost 17% of its health.
DarkBladeSceptile switched in Lanturn (lvl 100 Lanturn ?).
Feraligatr used Ice Punch.
Lanturn lost 11% of its health.

F$@#%!!!! This guy's got a counter for everything! I realize I can get thundebolted, but I'm packing earthquake, so I'm going to try my luck.

Feraligatr used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Lanturn lost 58% of its health.
Lanturn used Toxic.
Feraligatr was badly poisoned!

Ugh. I deal just over 50%, which is great, but now my primary sweeper is sitting there dying slowly. This sucks...Well at least I can finish off Mr. Toxic Fish Poopyhead.

DarkBladeSceptile switched in Crobat (lvl 100 Crobat ?).
Feraligatr used Earthquake.
It doesn't affect Crobat...

*sigh*. I suppose I should have seen that one coming. Things are starting to look pretty dang grim.

Okay, now what should I do? I'm slowly dying from toxic, but I am also carrying a salac berry. If I could consume the salac berry I might be able to take out crobat if I miraculously go faster than it. I'll go with the swords dance; I NEED crobat out of there.

Crobat used Brave Bird.
Feraligatr lost 46% of its health.
Crobat lost 14% of its health.
Feraligatr's Salac Berry raised its speed!
Feraligatr used Swords Dance.
Feraligatr's attack was sharply raised.

Okay, perfect. Brave bird did more to me than I was hoping, but at least now I have my speed boost, and I will hopefully be just barely faster than him... Time for an ice punch.

Feraligatr used Ice Punch.
It's super effective!
Crobat lost 93% of its health.
DarkBladeSceptile's Crobat fainted.
Feraligatr is hurt by poison!
Feraligatr lost 0% of its health.
sr12's Feraligatr fainted.

There we go! Sadly the poison caused Gatr to go down at the same time. But still, things are looking up again.

Score: 4-4

~~Round 4~~

DarkBladeSceptile switched in Espeon (lvl 100 Espeon ?).

Here we go with this matchup again. Earthquake sadly not a 2HKO from what I remember, but I'm not ready to explode just yet. I know I'll be locked into it, but oh well.

Espeon used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Registeel lost 33% of its health.
Espeon lost 41% of its health.

Hidden power eh? Must be fighting type. Well regi's at full health and luckily Espy's HP fighting is a 4HKO, so I'll just continue on.

Espeon used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Registeel lost 30% of its health.
Espeon lost 18% of its health.
DarkBladeSceptile's Espeon fainted.

There we go. Espeon falls.

Score: 4-3

~~Round 5~~

DarkBladeSceptile switched in Sceptile (lvl 100 Sceptile ?).

I suppose this is his primary sweeper, considering it's in his name. At any rate I'm stuck on earthquake, and he can't really do anything to me that I can think of so...let's just see what happens.

Sceptile used Substitute.
Sceptile lost 25% of its health.
Sceptile made a substitute!
The substitute took damage for Sceptile!

Crap. Crap crap crap. A subtile. I have no idea how much e/q really did to it now. Well, again, he still can't hurt me so I'll just go again to try and break the sub.

Sceptile used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Registeel lost 25% of its health.
A critical hit!
Sceptile's substitute faded!

Another HP user. Well this one only took down 25% of my health, and I just got a crit to break the sub. Since I know he's just going to put up another sub, I'll head on over to my revenge killer.

sr12 switched in Primeape (lvl 100 Primeape ?).

So now I have another sub to deal with, but not a problem because Mr. Ape is packing a frosty little punch just for Subtile.

Primeape used Ice Punch.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Sceptile used Energy Ball.
Primeape lost 47% of its health.

Oh my God! Another useless crit. Why can't these things happen when I'm being walled by a stupid fatass blissey?! *inhale exhale* Anyways, at least I broke the sub, though he just took down a humongous chunk of my health with energy ball. Luckily, it's not a 2HKO, so I don't have to worry about ice punch not being an OHKO. This guy's definitely going down. Here comes another ice punch...

*sigh*. He switched before the attack. Once again, I should have seen that coming. In fact I have no idea why I didn't. Well ice punch is useless against this guy so lets have a look at how much damage it managed to do...

Primeape used Ice Punch.
Lanturn lost 11% of its health.
Lanturn was frozen solid!

The freeze hax! Yes! Exactly what I needed. If I can just get rid of this guy, the rest of my team can easily go for a much desired sweep...I'll send out Torterra, and go for a hammer arm.

sr12 switched in Torterra (lvl 100 Torterra ?).

Okay, time to get things going.

Lanturn was defrosted!
Lanturn used Stockpile.
Lanturn stockpiled 1!
Lanturn's defence was raised.
Lanturn's special defence was raised.

Holy Crobat. The freeze hax effectively did nothing for me, at all. Well Lanturn is afraid of both my strongest STAB attacks (wood hammer and e/q), so I'll go for a leech seed since he'll probably switch.

Lanturn used Toxic.
Torterra was badly poisoned!
Torterra used Leech Seed.
Lanturn was seeded!

Crap. I can't believe I didn't remember that.

Great, now my main tank is poisoned. I can no longer leech seed stall, even though it made contact, because I'll die faster than he will. Besides, he'll probably switch out. So, I'll send in registeel again. He's almost dead so he'll be a good scout for DBS's next move.

DarkBladeSceptile switched in Sceptile (lvl 100 Sceptile ?).

Probably expected terra to stay in and attack. Here comes the ice punch again; I really have nothing to lose here.

Registeel used Ice Punch.
It's super effective!

Well good, now he knows he can't sit there making subs all day. So he has to attack and my next guy won't have to deal with breaking a sub.

Sceptile used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Registeel lost 7% of its health.
sr12's Registeel fainted.

Dang. There goes Registeel, but at least he did his job.

Score: 3-3

~~Round 6~~

Alright. He'll probably switch back to Lanturn knowing primeape has ice punch, so I'll go with the u-turn.

Primeape used U-turn.

He stayed in...okay then, I'll try torterra to soak up his attacks. I don't want to send out blaziken just yet; he predicted this, so he could have predicted a fire poke and gone with e/q or something.

It's super effective!
Sceptile lost 63% of its health.
sr12 switched in Torterra (lvl 100 Torterra ?).
A critical hit!
Torterra lost 92% of its health.

He got a crit. Shoot. I was hoping to at least get a little more damage on him.

Torterra lost 2% of its health.
sr12's Torterra fainted.

And down he goes. Sigh.

Score: 2-3

~~Round 7~~

I'm getting a little tired of all this primeape misprediction, so I just decide to go for the close combat. I didn't want to before, because I didn't want him to surprise me with something that resists it and would then have me with -1 defenses. But now I don't really care; I just need to deal some damage. It's go time.

Primeape used Close Combat.
Sceptile lost 18% of its health.
DarkBladeSceptile's Sceptile fainted.
Primeape's defence was lowered.
Primeape's special defence was lowered.

Good, no surprise switch outs.

Score: 2-2

~~Round 8~~

DarkBladeSceptile switched in Hariyama (lvl 100 Hariyama ?).

So THAT'S what he was hiding back there. I only have blaziken left besides primeape, and there's really no doubt that anything hariyama does to it will destroy it, so I'll send another close combat its way.

Primeape used Close Combat.
Hariyama lost 36% of its health.
Primeape's defence was lowered.
Primeape's special defence was lowered.
Hariyama used Cross Chop.
Primeape lost 53% of its health.
sr12's Primeape fainted.

Not nearly as much damage as I wanted to do. Now I'm down 1-2. Blaziken has to come out on top of two more pokemon.

Score: 1-2

~~Round 9~~

sr12 switched in Blaziken (lvl 100 Blaziken ?).

Okay, I'm remembering that Hariyama has pretty low special defense. So I'm going to try a fire blast. Hopefully my bad luck is just with WoW and not with fire attacks in general...

Blaziken used Fire Blast.
Hariyama lost 54% of its health.
DarkBladeSceptile's Hariyama fainted.

Yes! It connected! We're down to the wire!

Score: 1-1

<<~~Final Round!~~>>

This is it. The last round. Just me and him. I know he's part water (obviously) and he has a crapload of base hp, so I'm not going to go with another fire blast. Other than that, I have HP electric, which he'll absorb, and sky uppercut. Sky uppercut doesn't have the greatest accuracy or strength, but it's my best bet. I know I'm faster than him, but I can't remember whether his defense or special defense is higher. At any rate, it seems to be my only hope. Here we go.

Blaziken used Sky Uppercut.
Lanturn lost 39% of its health.
DarkBladeSceptile's Lanturn fainted.
sr12 wins!
sr12: gg
DarkBladeSceptile: gg

Success! Sky uppercut connected and dealt enough damage for the KO.

Good Game, DarkBladeSceptile!!! I hope you had as much fun as I did. Thanks for the great battle.

Final Score: 1-0

I hope you guys enjoyed this battle as well. I spent a heck of a lot of time editing this thing to hopefully make it enjoyable to read; I figured color coding was necessary otherwise it would be too monotonous and difficult to follow. At any rate, let me know what you think of it!

Okay, this warstory was pretty poor. Your commentary was either a recant of what happened the previous turn, or it just announced your next move. On top of that, you were predictable and fell for switch baits/U-turn baits, and you really should have suspected an Espeon tricking your Registeel. Hell, I don't even play UU and I suspected it.

So in short, better commentary is in order, and you need to be a little wiser in some of your choices. 2/5.

EDIT: Ubers is right. There's a chance that Hariyama was running Thick Fat, which would have made your Fire Blast look foolish.

Okay, this warstory was pretty poor. Your commentary was either a recant of what happened the previous turn, or it just announced your next move. On top of that, you were predictable and fell for switch baits/U-turn baits, and you really should have suspected an Espeon tricking your Registeel. Hell, I don't even play UU and I suspected it.

So in short, better commentary is in order, and you need to be a little wiser in some of your choices. 2/5.

EDIT: Ubers is right. There's a chance that Hariyama was running Thick Fat, which would have made your Fire Blast look foolish.
I see. Well that's okay, it was my first warstory. What kind of commentary would be better for my next story?

I'm not going to defend my playing, I know I'm not amazing yet.

And yeah, I forgot about thick fat, I was thinking it only had guts. Oh well.

The playing was not terrible; you did make a few mistakes and I didn't like the fact that you didn't just check whether Lanturn's Def or Special Def is higher and instead just went with a gut reaction, but the errors weren't incredibly noticeable. The commentary was also not bad, though I would have liked to have seen your thought processes explained a little bit more clearly. Overall, I liked the warstory.

However, I might suggest not to use such bright colors next time. I know a lot of people use those colors, but I just can never get used to them. I think plain text with bold for the comments would have been easier to follow (for me at least).

Good first attempt! Hope to see more from you.

The playing was not terrible; you did make a few mistakes and I didn't like the fact that you didn't just check whether Lanturn's Def or Special Def is higher and instead just went with a gut reaction, but the errors weren't incredibly noticeable. The commentary was also not bad, though I would have liked to have seen your thought processes explained a little bit more clearly. Overall, I liked the warstory.

However, I might suggest not to use such bright colors next time. I know a lot of people use those colors, but I just can never get used to them. I think plain text with bold for the comments would have been easier to follow (for me at least).

Good first attempt! Hope to see more from you.
While I personally don't care about the colors (so long as it's not neon green or yellow or some other eye-bleeding color). Next time, just walk us through step by step what you were thinking could happen on every play. What I notice is that the best teams with a larger overarching plan make the best warstories as the battlers try to set up many turns down the road. Not that your team is bad, but some teams make less viable warstories.

Not bad, certainly not good. As Super Effective said, I hope to see more (and better) from you in the future.

I've been dying for more war stories, and in all honesty, I enjoyed this.

Unfortunately, it seems the better battlers did not. ;) Alas, I did. Cannot wait to see war story #2!

The playing was not terrible; you did make a few mistakes and I didn't like the fact that you didn't just check whether Lanturn's Def or Special Def is higher and instead just went with a gut reaction,
That was irrelevant. Fire Blast wasn't KOing and it was immune to HP. Sky Uppercut was his only option (I assume the last attack was agility).

But sky uppercut ? And hariyama could have had thick fat.
If he wanted a move he could sweep with, then Sky Uppercut > Superpower. Also, he had no option but to go for the Fire Blast since most Hariyama invest in Def so Sky Uppercut couldn't do the job.

All in all, I enjoyed it. Good first attempt

edit: Also, to anyone rudely criticizing a WS in general: until you spend the time to write one yourself, just stfu. Seriously. It takes a lot of time to write one and you gain nothing from it. It's truly a service that the writers provide for free. If you don't like it, get over it. Post your own.

However, if you wrote a good WS and are criticizing, please disregard

That was irrelevant. Fire Blast wasn't KOing and it was immune to HP. Sky Uppercut was his only option (I assume the last attack was agility).

If he wanted a move he could sweep with, then Sky Uppercut > Superpower. Also, he had no option but to go for the Fire Blast since most Hariyama invest in Def so Sky Uppercut couldn't do the job.

All in all, I enjoyed it. Good first attempt

edit: Also, to anyone rudely criticizing a WS in general: until you spend the time to write one yourself, just stfu. Seriously. It takes a lot of time to write one and you gain nothing from it. It's truly a service that the writers provide for free. If you don't like it, get over it. Post your own.

However, if you wrote a good WS and are criticizing, please disregard
Strongly agreed. Stop being so rude and nasty OK it's his 1st warstory I don't see any of you writing one and 2/5? wtf.....It's better than some i've read.

Don't be a retard. When a new poster spends time and effort making a war story, saying "this blew" really only makes you look stupid. Telling him what he did wrong, without telling him what he did right or what he should do to fix his mistakes isn't at all constructive.

What kind of commentary would be better for my next story?
I think you should discuss your strategy more, and state why you make each play. If you were deciding between a couple of options, show us your thought process that led you to your decision. There are tons of great war stories on this site to look through. Try to take after them in terms of how you make your comments.

Also it's become common to do a recap of sorts midway through the battle, to inform the reader about where you stand in the battle, what has happened, and possible routes to victory.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This wasn't a terrible warstory by any means, but try and tell us your thought process. Why did you make x move or y switch?

Some of the plays in this were pretty bad. How did you not suspect Trick? There was no other reason for Espeon to switch into Registeel.

However, this wasn't a bad effort, I'm sure your next one will be much better! Best of luck!

Regardless, it detracted from the read. Someone aying something like "I don't know what it is and I'm not going to check" bothers me.

I enjoyed this, it was good if it is your first.
Going to some inprovments, I wouldn't use so many colours. Also, your commentary was Good, but it needed a bit more of what your plans were, why you switched/stayed in, why you used x and not y. etc. Hoping to see more stories, hopefully in UU.

Hey thanks guys, I realize this wasn't the best but at least it also wasn't the worst ;)

Regarding not checking lanturn's stats, I previously tended to not like to check out stats if I don't know them already during a battle. It used to be a personal thing, mostly because I thought others restricted themselves the same way. But I've obviously been wrong, so next time I will certainly just look it up. I'm not sure why it would actually bother someone, but I still realize that I should have just checked.

And yeah, I'm putting together a better UU team now, so once I start battling with it I should be able to get another warstory at some point.

Thanks for all your comments on this. =] Others are still welcome.

Not bad at all for your first warstory, I enjoyed the read. Most people today post rediculus warstories with rediculus comments, and this one was OK. I bet you'll be one heck of a warstory writer if this is your first shot. =)

This was okay I guess. I was bit surprised at how much fire blast did to hariyama. Don't the majority of them carry thick fat?
| Hariyama | Ability | Thick Fat | 74.0 |

Well, anyway, the formatting was a bit excessive, and the commentary was also a tad weak, but it was not bad at all. The jokes were a nice touch though.

Not a bad war story, i enjoyed the read. I bet you could be really good at writing war stories though, so keep it up. Working on your commentary will be helpful so make sure you do that.

Hey man, personally I think this is a pretty good try for your first warstory (much better then mine). While I won't judge your battling skills, I like your format and the jokes feel natural and funny. Overall, I like it. You definitely have a fan in me, looking forward to your next try!

EQing Sceptile? Staying in to WoW Crobat twice? The story itself was well written, and very easy on the eyes. These things make it at least not a pain to read, but you need to work on your battling skills if you really want to please us :]

7/10. Good Job :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)