Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread went back to page 2 lol.
The petetion has been going really slowly... only 149 signatures so far.
Someone even put "i'm just bored, lulz"....
Would that even be counted?

IMO, if people did more to get it around, ya know.. Put it in sigs, like me and Evan (?) and I believe Ultimatedra, and some other htings here and there. Or else we can just consider this a bust.

You will not get 1000 signatures, lol. You might get to 200 or, if you are really lucky, maybe 300. 1000 signatures is way too high for the amount of people here who actually care about the VGC and are willing to sign it. 500 would have been a more semi-realistic number to shoot for, though that is a very high number itself.

also lol vash thanks for saying that about the little globe symbol thing, I never knew how to do that. :P

So San Diego VGC final's at the same venue as the TCG final? And you can just pick up a free Tropical Wind card by being there? I'd really like one of those cards. I don't play the TGC... it's just cool. :P

This thread went back to page 2 lol.
The petetion has been going really slowly... only 149 signatures so far.
Someone even put "i'm just bored, lulz"....
Would that even be counted?
Well, for me, the petition isn't even working. I get a blank page when I click "sign" for some reason. I wonder if other people have had that problem or if it's just me...

You can just type in "VGC Petition," copy the link of the actual petition, hilight "VGC Petition" and click 'insert link (the little globe symbol)' and boom, it's hyperlinked. :)

Thanks for Sigging it, btw.
No problem, thanks for teaching me how to change it to the actual "VGC Petetion" rather than the link.
Also, we got 1 more signature! Woot!

I already sign the VGC Petition. A good idea might be having people who are going to the World Champs in SD should talk other people there to get more signatures.

I already sign the VGC Petition. A good idea might be having people who are going to the World Champs in SD should talk other people there to get more signatures.
Thats a good idea! Anyone with a laptop going to San Diego that can advertise the petetion?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Thats a good idea! Anyone with a laptop going to San Diego that can advertise the petetion?
I'm only asking this because I have no Idea, but does anybody have any idea of how many people are actually going to show up for worlds? I understand why lots of people would show up for the qualifiers because they all had a "chance" to play. If you noticed at Nationals though, the VGC (ooooooobviously not the TCG) turnout was lower than the rest (at least in my own estimation). My own personal deduction was that the decreased (or perceived decrease) in chance to play directly led to the decreased (or perceived decrease) in VGC attendance. It just seems like few people would have any incentive to show up and "watch" you know?

Does anyone from past Worlds/JAA Finals have any predictions?

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
If I had to the chance to go and watch I would so maybe there will be alot of Californians coming to watch but I am guessing 100-150 people at the most would show up.

I will be there. i have been there ever year sense 2004. It is fun to go there as there are random giveaways, artist/creator signings, exclusive download pokemon, and more. Again like it has been said many time before - it is mainly TCG based. The whole World championships was based on the TCG years ago, and it was not until recently that the VGC made it's way in. So for obvious reasons the TCG is going to be the largest of the 2 events going on, but give it a few years. this VGC thing is still very young and it will need a few more years to get to where it should be.

Hell, if you where at the world championships in 2004, when the world championships where new, the whole event was laggy. the rounds took forever, people where running in and out of the computer room. it was a mess, but in 2005 they really steped it up and now the TCG world championships are one of the best events of TCG history.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I will be there. i have been there ever year sense 2004. It is fun to go there as there are random giveaways, artist/creator signings, exclusive download pokemon, and more. Again like it has been said many time before - it is mainly TCG based. The whole World championships was based on the TCG years ago, and it was not until recently that the VGC made it's way in. So for obvious reasons the TCG is going to be the largest of the 2 events going on, but give it a few years. this VGC thing is still very young and it will need a few more years to get to where it should be.

Hell, if you where at the world championships in 2004, when the world championships where new, the whole event was laggy. the rounds took forever, people where running in and out of the computer room. it was a mess, but in 2005 they really steped it up and now the TCG world championships are one of the best events of TCG history.
How many might YOU expect to spectate for the VGC?

VGC - Players + 200-300 max.
TCG - Players + 1,500-3,500

For the TCG, there is a last chance qualifier to play in the world championships and that boosts the attendance. VGC does not have an LCQ so the attendance will be much lower. And to top it off, most of the side events are TCG based, but i am sure that there will be some VGC side tournaments.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
sorry to bump but...

I got my flight confirmation stuff emailed like a week ago but haven't received any "hotel confirmation" Is that supposed to be seperate, or do we just show up with our IDs to the hotel and they let us in (that doesn't sound realistic).

Just a question for those of you who have allready done this.

I just got random information shit about my flight and that's the only thing I need to take with me. I got nothing else ._.
That doesn't seem to be safe or am I wrong? xD (Btw, I come from Germany)

Yeah it seems hotel registration is already done or so and you don't have to hand in any written confirmation... otherwise they'd have prettily fucked up that whole thing .-.

Another interesting fact:
I wrote to Angela regarding the credit card or cash deposit for incidentals we have to submit and told her I don't have a credit card and I'm not willing to get myself one. The solution is this:
When you arrive at the hotel you will go to the registration counter, provide them with picture ID and tell them you are checking in. They will ask you for a credit card, you will need to tell them that you would like to NOT have incidentals turned on so you don't have to provide a credit card. Nicely explain that you do not have a personal credit card and everything should be fine.
Anyways...

Hey guys,

while chatting with PBB we thought about the possibility organizing some kind of side event by ourselves, for he and most certainly other spectators who are gonna be there would like to have an opportunity to battle in a competitive environment.
For the competitors, this side event serves as a last opportunity to test some PKMN or just have fun. I intend this to be some kind of ice-breaker so the tournament wouldn't last too long.

Date: Probably Thursday 13th, (late) evening (9/10 pm or so)

Location: since it will certainly be problematic to put ~20 people into one hotel room, it would be best, if we just take our DSs and go outside of the hotel, sitting somewhere not too far away from it. If the weather is fine, there should be no problem doing so.

Tournament mode: single elimination best-of-3, VGC rules and stuff.
If enough of you are interested, I would be willing to organise this. We just need to keep in contact somehow so I'd probably let you know my cellphone number per PM or so.

Interested list:
1. drug_duck [Germany]
2. PBB [USA]
3. VashTheStampede [USA]
4. Hilikus * [Germany]
5. Viper * [Germany]
6. Picollo [Germany]
7. mattj [USA]
8. Honchkrow [Germany]
9-16 still free!

* = interested but will decide spontaneously if they participate
Copypasted from Skarmbliss. Please let me know here or there if you want to join this^^

Can you watch the matches, even if you didn't get an invitation? I'm wondering, because my family just so happened to take a vacation to San Diego that week, so it would be cool if I could go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)