Community Create-A-Team #2: Aggron (OU)

Which would be the most effective Aggron set?

• Choice Band

Votes: 139 38.7%
  • Rock Polish

Votes: 183 51.0%
  • Sub+Magnet Rise

Votes: 31 8.6%
  • Other (Please be specific as to what it would be)

Votes: 6 1.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Choice Band is really the only viable option in my opinion. you still don't outrun much stuff with rock polish, definetely not any scarfed mons.
Actually iirc you outspeed practically everything except scarfers (and Ninjask...). Adamant RP Aggron outspeeding Jolly Max Speed Aerodactyl is certainly fun to say the least. LO gives it the ability to kill almost everything between Head Smash, Earthquake and Aqua Tail (that's the set I use anyway).

So anyway, I voted Rock Polish. I don't really like choicers very much, and I don't enjoy the idea of any fighting or ground move getting a free shot due to Aggron's pathetic speed. RP has been working great for me - 6-0 Aggron sweeps are epic.

I voted other, because the Rock Polish set I would suggest is different to that normal set.

Item: Leftovers, Shuka Berry OR Peteya Berry
Substitute/Aqua Tail
Rock Polish
Earthquake
Head Smash

Aggron will only be getting in on things which don't like it. Most of these things, cannot scratch Aggron, things like Flygon locked onto Outrage, or CBTar's persuits cannot even break the sub, giving Aggron the ability to set up without fear of status, and counter some of his normal counters. In addittion, this set can be used in tandem with a Peteya Berry (Spelling XP), to increase Aggron's Attack stat as well as the speed boost granted by Rock Polish. Nothing shrugs off a +1 Head Smash, even Steel-type walls. Leftovers gives Aggron some bulk to come in and do it all over again, more often, and +0 Head Smashes STILL hurt. The amount of sweeps I get because of Aggron getting in on CBTar or an Outrageing Dragon, and setting up, and killing them, while the sub remains up, is astounding.

And, we're forgetting Shuka Berry allowing Aggron to beat some of his counters, by reducing Earthquake to half it's power, which will actually allow Aggron to live it more often than not. Although, we we use this methord, we should not use Subsitiute, and instead use Aqua Tail/something like that. Heatrna uses it sometimes, so why not Aggron?

That said, this set works because of the amount of free switch-ins my Latias gives it. I doubt that a self-supporting Aggron set would work as well without something to hit flying steels for Neutral Damage.

Given that ineffective headsmash is stronger than neutral earthquake, I figure that 90% of the time you will just use that. Because of that, I wouldnt bother with setting up, I'd just CB it..

It still does 43% minimum to Lucario, and it can 3hko pert.. Sure you'll be slow, but its better to headsmash and switch than to rock polish and switch..

Have a nice day.
This probably sums up my thought process. Voted CB.

Sub + Magnet Rise seems like the best option imo. Rock Polish works well enough, but it's not the easiest thing to set up for a sweep as most scarfers are faster than it. Head Smash's poor accuracy has been another problem I've had with RP Aggron (admittedly in UU) as there is nothing more annoying than setting up an RP and missing against a Milotic or something. Substitute minimises the consequences when you do inevitably miss.

If we want Aggron to sweep, Choice Band is actually counterproductive because you can't sweep if you're stuck on a single move because every good team will have something resistant to that move. In fact, Substitute sets are probably best for that sort of thing because that way, you are pretty much guaranteed at least one attack and you are in a good position to decide which attack - the whole safety net approach.

If we want Aggron to be a hit and run pokemon, then Choice Band will be the best option.

Rock Polish won't net us any extra chances to attack even if Aggron does start outspeeding shit at +2.

Contrary to popular belief that being stuck on one move stops you from sweeping, do you guys realize how powerful a CB Head Smash is? very few things can take that hit, and we can *make a team* to remove things that can.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm a bit saddened to see that Rock Polish is looking like it will be the victor. It strikes me as very one-dimensional and easily countered. It's crippled by Intimidate-shuffling, easily revenged by faster Pokemon (sorry, but 398 speed is not good at all in this metagame) and once you get around the sheer power of Head Smash he's actually very weak. For example, 252 HP Metagross loses a grand total of 65% from Adamant max Atk Life Orb Earthquake. There are a -lot- of Pokemon in OU who are far more dangerous with that one turn of setup and they also have a much easier time acquiring that turn.

Rock Polish Aggron is 'outclassed' (I hate that word as it's too easily rebuffed, lets just say 'not as good as') a host of other OU set up sweepers. The Choice Band set on the other hand has a lot of merit, I quite like the idea of a team built around allowing CB Aggron to get off as many Head Smashes as possible, maybe with a Bulky Ground lure thrown in there (possibly Grass Knot Metagross or something along those lines).

Too many people are assuming Aggron needs to sweep to be the star but that's a very naive approach. I've saw thousands of RMTs where the team has been focused around sweeping with [Pokemon A] but the OP has found that [Pokemon B] is the star because he'll often clear the way for [Pokemon A]'s sweep.

It's a shame to see so many people voting Rock Polish leaving no reason other than 'it's devestating' or 'it fucking rapes' even after some very respected battlers have come forward and put effort into explaining why they think the Choice Band set is vastly superior (Hipmonlee, Calciphoce, Stallion, locopoke) but hell, that's democracy for ya.

Anyway, glad to see you're running it Justinawe. If you ever need any mod-assistance with this project, shoot me a PM.

Personally I really love the Sub-rise set with Focus Punch and Head Smash. It really works well with a Sub-Nasty Plot Mismagius. They cover each others weaknesses.

This is fantastic. Aggron deserves this, and it should pair well with the Aggron: No Longer retarded thread. I voted for Rock Polish set because it is easily the most devastating set. I think we can make a great team built around it, and it should prove something to those people who say Aggron isn't worth it..

I would like to throw in a suggestion for a Gravity based team with Aggron, utilising stong Earthquake users (like Hippowdon, Mamoswine). The Choice Band set would probably work best. Although with Gravity you lose the super-effective hit on flying types, rock is a great offensive type and still hits a lot of stuff for neutral really hard. It would also help with Head Smash's 80% accuracy, pusing it up to over 100%. HGSS also gave new pokemon Gravity, making it a more viable team option now.

Contrary to popular belief that being stuck on one move stops you from sweeping, do you guys realize how powerful a CB Head Smash is? very few things can take that hit, and we can *make a team* to remove things that can.
Say you Head Smash on the switch an KO something, Aggron is so slow that you can easily switch in something to OHKO, preying on one of it's 4x weaknesses or laughable SpD.

Voted for Rock Polish. But does there HAVE to be a new "5 star" RMT after every project? If this is gonna be the rate at which these threads are created then the RMT forum is gonna be filled with these topics until other teams that actually need help are pushed on page 2. So I really think this project should slow down a little lol.

But back to as to why I voted for Rock Polish. Rock polish and CB are your main options here. You have to think about if you want to run Aggron as your Supporting "Masher" (opens holes for OTHER sweepers aka CB set) or your main sweeper (RP). I think you wanna build around Aggron here so I voted for Rock Polish.

I think for the next create a team we should do bolded voting. I know I've changed my mind by now after reading a lot of arguments (Lee's). I can't change my vote though. I really think if we re-did this now it wouldn't be so one sided...

I think for the next create a team we should do bolded voting. I know I've changed my mind by now after reading a lot of arguments (Lee's). I can't change my vote though. I really think if we re-did this now it wouldn't be so one sided...
I agree. However, lets not wait till " next-time" lets do it for this this CCaT. Lee+ has persuaded me to think otherwise on my vote.

Voted for Rock Polish. But does there HAVE to be a new "5 star" RMT after every project? If this is gonna be the rate at which these threads are created then the RMT forum is gonna be filled with these topics until other teams that actually need help are pushed on page 2. So I really think this project should slow down a little lol.
Why? CCATs are not THAT fast. It took them a few weeks to get the Heracross team done, so I don't see the spam factor.

Meh, I still don't think there should be a new RMT posted after every one of these.

But I should've read up. Changing my vote to CB if I may.

I've fallen prey to the same thing as many of you: I thought Rock Polish would be good, but I read Lee's post, and it all changed. And I'd already voted. Argh!

Having used both Rock Polish+3 Attacks and Choice Band (I've not tried Magnet Rise, or any Substitute sets), I can say Choice Band is the superior option in OU.

With Rock Polish, I frequently found myself up against Pokemon I could hurt badly after a RP, but would OHKO me back in the process. This Aggron, in my opinion, requires more support; Sandstream, maybe Screens, dying to Life Orb recoil meaning a Wish passer at least. Speaking of Life Orb, since Aggron is only neutral to Bullet Punch, if he takes a good chunk of health killing something, plus Life Orb recoil, he'll likely be revenge killed by Scizor pretty often. I did see one varient posted utilitizing Endeavor, which I definitely think could work.

Choice Band was much better. I prefer to take half of almost everything's HPs, then switch next turn. I tried running both max HP and Speed. I'm sure there's some magic number in the middle, but Adamant with max Speed seemingly allows Aggron to outrun a lot of walls.

Voted CB due to the fact that scizor doesn't end CBgron like it does RP and Magnet rise.
Aggron should be the core of a team (everything built around it) but never the primary attacker, and should take the role of secret weapon, because once the opponent knows you have aggron they'll do everything in their power to keep it away.
I suggest we build a team that scouts for bulky grounds and saves aggron for late game.

Reading through this thread, I was planning on making a post very similar to Lee's, until of course I saw his post.

So yeah, voted CB, it's a shame though it doesn't look like it'll win given that so many people think just because we're basing a team around one 'mon it has to be the endgame sweeper...

So yeah, voted CB, it's a shame though it doesn't look like it'll win given that so many people think just because we're basing a team around one 'mon it has to be the endgame sweeper...
If we are basing a team around a pokemon, doesn't that kind of imply that said pokemon's purpose is to be the endgame sweeper? You don't see teams based around an Infernape wallbreak or a Blissey stall.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)