Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. (RoA Version + resource links)

RockinX

My goal in life is to make everyone cringe with my puns
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks.

Edit: Seriously, thanks. It's slow but steady and easy!

Let's say I use Reflect with Mew, and follow it up with Transform. Will Reflect still be in effect?

And if a level 100 Mew transforms into a level 2 Rattata, will it receive any bonuses other than far higher HP?

EDIT: Assuming we're in R/B/Y, that is.

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Let's say I use Reflect with Mew, and follow it up with Transform. Will Reflect still be in effect?

And if a level 100 Mew transforms into a level 2 Rattata, will it receive any bonuses other than far higher HP?

I would imagine Reflect will remain in effect since Reflect does not wear away until the user switches.

It will get the Ratata's non-HP stats. However, because level itself factors into the damage formula, the Mew's attacls will actually be a lot more powerful. About 15 times more powerful, if Bulbapedia's formula and my maths are correct.

Thanks guys! Another question: How many PP Ups are there in the game, and where are they?

Also, will a Pokemon's stats at level 100 be the same, regardless of what happened to it throughout the game?

Thanks guys! Another question: How many PP Ups are there in the game, and where are they?

1. Second floor of the Unknown Dungeon
2. Hidden in an alcove in a room up and to the right of where you found Zapdos.
3. Hidden halfway down the right side of Cycling Road.
4. Hidden to the right of the sign on Route 13.
5. Hidden in a row of trees to the right of the Game Corner in Celadon City.

I usually just get the one in Celadon once there and then when I get down to Cinnabar I just duplicate it.

Also, will a Pokemon's stats at level 100 be the same, regardless of what happened to it throughout the game?

It really depends on what you mean by "what happened to it throughout the game". What do you mean to say by that? I believe if you battled the wrong Stat EXP gaining Pokemon than it could possibly affect the outcome of your Pokemons stats at level 100. The way you gain Stat EXP is just like EVs in later generations, is it not? You battle certain Pokemon to gain certain statistic points from said Pokemon. I'm not 100% sure with this, but I'm sure someone else can give you a better answer.
As for me, I too have a question that suddenly comes to mind. My basic math skills don't entirely suck, I just tend to forget on how to do basic shit when I actually need it the most. What I mean by this is simple: I did the calculation to figure out the CH% rate on a Pokemon and I did Golems to see what it is and the equation to figure out the answer is: CH%=Base Speed*100/512. So, I got Golems base Speed which is 45, then I multiplied it by 100 (so as it says in the equation) which gives me 4,500. Now, the second part you have to get your multiplied answer (4,500) and divide it by 512 (again, so as it says in the equation) which now gives me: 8.7890625

Now, my question is this: do I round up or round down that final calculation? The article in the RBY section says nothing about rounding the equation in the end. So, is Golems CH% rate 8% or do you round up and get 9%?

~ Aether Nexus

I think in RBY you round to a fraction of 256. Though I'm not sure which way. In this case, it's 22.5/256, so whether that's 22/256 (floor) or 23/256 (round or ceiling).
(That's why nothing has 100% accuracy in RBY, the highest possible is 255/256. '100% accurate' moves like Scratch will still miss 1/256 of the time)

I think in RBY you round to a fraction of 256. Though I'm not sure which way. In this case, it's 22.5/256, so whether that's 22/256 (floor) or 23/256 (round or ceiling).
(That's why nothing has 100% accuracy in RBY, the highest possible is 255/256. '100% accurate' moves like Scratch will still miss 1/256 of the time)
No, no, I don't mean the accuracy on the Pokemon's moves, I mean to say the accuracy of that Pokemon based on it's Base Speed. It's explained in the RBY articles, but I'll just quote it:
Critical Hits

In RBY the critical hit ratio is based on base Speed rather than having a set ratio. This means that faster Pokémon will critical hit more often than slower ones. This is very important to consider in RBY as most of the faster Pokémon will have a critical hit ratio higher than 20%. It is important to note that the critical hit ratio, being based on BASE Speed, will not change if the Pokémon is paralyzed or suffers a Speed drop, so attempts to reduce critical hits through these methods are futile.
Formula to calculate a Pokémon's critical hit ratio : CH%=BaseSpeed*100/512. In addition, when moves critical hit, they will ignore any stat change both the attacking and defending Pokémon have, beneficial or otherwise. For example, if the attacker uses Amnesia 3 times to maximize its Special stat and then scores a critical hit, it will actually do less damage than if it didn't critical hit, only doing twice the damage of a normal attack without the boosts. Critical hits will also ignore Reflect and Light Screen.
So now, my question in my above post basically was: with that formula quoted right above where I type this, what would my Golem's CH rate be based on it's Base Speed? I calculated it all, got my end result and now I don't know if I'm suppose to round it up/down or leave it as is. That is what my question is. It doesn't say in that quote there if I'm suppose to round it, so I guess it means I don't round it and Golem's CH rate based on its Base Speed would be 8% rather 9%.

Also, a few other questions come to mind: how much does a Burn do in RBY? Same damage like in future generations? Also, how much damage does Burn inflict? Does it cut the Pokemon's Attack in half like how it does in future generations as well? So if I used Fire Blast (or something that gets the BRN status on a Pokemon in RBY, since there is no Will-o-Wisp or anything to Burn right away) and scored the Burn on say switch-in Golem, will it's Attack be slashed in half? Does it's Attack stat or Base Attack get lowered in half? So if a max Attack Golem (318) gets burned, will its Attack now be 159?

One more question: Self-Destruct and Explosion half the opponents Defense stat, so basically it doubles the power of the moves, yes/no? So for example, what I mean is: Explosion does 170 in RBY, but if it halves the opposing Pokemon's Defense in half, it pretty much means that Explosion now gets doubled due to the Defense being halved and technically becomes 240 power, yes/no? So if I did a damage calculation with say my Golem using Explosion on Zapdos, I would put 240 (power) in the RBY damage calculator (Marble Palace's RBY damage calculator) instead of 170 (power), right?

Near to last one: I read a few articles on Azure Heights, and I know these guys know their information about RBY and old school Pokemon stuff, but I read a article on their saying that a Critical Hit doubles your attack. So, say if Persian used Slash, does it gain STAB and it hits for x2 being a CH? Also, just for the hell of it, let's say it's Body Slam instead. It gains STAB, clearly, but if it CH's, does it become x2 damage as well?

So if Persian did use Slash, it gains STAB and since Slash does a CH all the time, it does x2 + STAB equaling 3.5 (STAB = 1.5 + CH = 2.0 = 3.5?)? So if I wanted to do a quick damage calculation using my Persian using STAB Slash, would I put down where it says the power of the move with 70 or do I double that since CH moves get doubled, making me put down 140 instead of 70?

Last one: This one is quite basic, but I hear it all the time, be it in RBY or later generations, but what does "the latter" mean? Is it a ranking term? Like going up higher to raise some score rate/amount or something like that? Does it mean something different in RBY?
If you do have questions to my answers, please do elaborate on your reasons/answers. Thanks in advance.

~ Aether Nexus

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
No, no, I don't mean the accuracy on the Pokemon's moves, I mean to say the accuracy of that Pokemon based on it's Base Speed. It's explained in the RBY articles, but I'll just quote it:
So now, my question in my above post basically was: with that formula quoted right above where I type this, what would my Golem's CH rate be based on it's Base Speed? I calculated it all, got my end result and now I don't know if I'm suppose to round it up/down or leave it as is. That is what my question is. It doesn't say in that quote there if I'm suppose to round it, so I guess it means I don't round it and Golem's CH rate based on its Base Speed would be 8% rather 9%.
There is no need to round in this situation. The chance of the CH according to the game is 45/512. The formula converts it to a percent just because that is what people generally find most convenient to use.

Also, a few other questions come to mind: how much does a Burn do in RBY? Same damage like in future generations? Also, how much damage does Burn inflict? Does it cut the Pokemon's Attack in half like how it does in future generations as well? So if I used Fire Blast (or something that gets the BRN status on a Pokemon in RBY, since there is no Will-o-Wisp or anything to Burn right away) and scored the Burn on say switch-in Golem, will it's Attack be slashed in half? Does it's Attack stat or Base Attack get lowered in half? So if a max Attack Golem (318) gets burned, will its Attack now be 159?
It's attack stat is halved yes, not base. Burn is exactly the same as later gens as far as I am aware.

One more question: Self-Destruct and Explosion half the opponents Defense stat, so basically it doubles the power of the moves, yes/no? So for example, what I mean is: Explosion does 170 in RBY, but if it halves the opposing Pokemon's Defense in half, it pretty much means that Explosion now gets doubled due to the Defense being halved and technically becomes 240 power, yes/no? So if I did a damage calculation with say my Golem using Explosion on Zapdos, I would put 240 (power) in the RBY damage calculator (Marble Palace's RBY damage calculator) instead of 170 (power), right?
Technically Selfdestruct and Explosion Quarter the opponents defense and halve your attack. But Effectively Explosion has 340 base power.

Near to last one: I read a few articles on Azure Heights, and I know these guys know their information about RBY and old school Pokemon stuff, but I read a article on their saying that a Critical Hit doubles your attack. So, say if Persian used Slash, does it gain STAB and it hits for x2 being a CH? Also, just for the hell of it, let's say it's Body Slam instead. It gains STAB, clearly, but if it CH's, does it become x2 damage as well?
Yes you still get stab if you CH. And a CH actually doubles your level in the damage formula not your attack. So it does slightly less damage than if it had doubled your attack.

So if Persian did use Slash, it gains STAB and since Slash does a CH all the time, it does x2 + STAB equaling 3.5 (STAB = 1.5 + CH = 2.0 = 3.5?)? So if I wanted to do a quick damage calculation using my Persian using STAB Slash, would I put down where it says the power of the move with 70 or do I double that since CH moves get doubled, making me put down 140 instead of 70?
No this isnt quite right it does roughly 3x damage. It's Damage x Stab x CH = damage x 1.5 x 2 = damage x 3. You could double the power of the move to estimate the damage of a CH but it is more accurate to double the level.

Last one: This one is quite basic, but I hear it all the time, be it in RBY or later generations, but what does "the latter" mean? Is it a ranking term? Like going up higher to raise some score rate/amount or something like that? Does it mean something different in RBY?
I am unsure of the context here. The Ladder is what is used to rank people, there was a bot on irc that ran a ladder during the days of GSC and there is now a ladder for DP on shoddy. I am unaware of any ladder that has ever existed for RBY.

But generally when people say "the latter" it comes after listing two options, and it wants to refer to the second of those options. As opposed to "the former" which is used to refer to the first.

For example: In the last slot of your team you could use Wigglytuff or Tauros. I recommend using the latter as it makes dp Garchomp look more like dp Electabuzz.

I hope that cleared everything up.

Have a nice day.

Here you go, this is the guide/site that Hipmonlee linked me to when I asked for RBY help: http://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/compendium/training.htm

All your questions and questions in the future about RBY stuff should be on that site. And if they're not on there, than I suppose this thread is where your unanswered questions belong.

~ Aether Nexus
quick question about this sight. One thing in particular contradicts something that bulbapedia says. Regarding the use of vitamins, the site says that they can have up to 10 uses unless the pokemon maxes the specific stat exp while bulbapedia says vitamins work up to 10 unless the pokemon reaches 25600 stat exp while the max value is 65535. i would probably trust bulbapedia over that site but still i could use some conformation. thanks for the help

k thanks i figured bulbapedia would be the correct one

EDIT: another thing. how exactly into the damage formula does STAB get calculated? it it placed in the level section like CH or is it in the attack section? and if its the attack section and you, for example used psychic as a lvl 100 mewtwo who used amnesia till 999 Special, would that still multiply by 1.5 or is 999 still max

Anyone ever go ditto hunting in emerald. I have recently. I just wanted to find out if anyone has gotten the same exact ditto in the desert underpass in emerald; I have twice. It had the same nature, level, and IV's, it also had the same item once, metal powder. It is pretty bizarre.

In Gen 3, Flame Body and Magma Armor were introduced as abilities. I read that their effect on hatching eggs, cutting the steps by 50%, was only available in Pokemon Emerald due to the idea being implemented later.

"Is this egg hatching side affect present in R&S and FR&LG?"

FRLG was released before Emerald, so I had to check.

Anyone ever go ditto hunting in emerald. I have recently. I just wanted to find out if anyone has gotten the same exact ditto in the desert underpass in emerald; I have twice. It had the same nature, level, and IV's, it also had the same item once, metal powder. It is pretty bizarre.
Due to Emerald's RNG, this is entirely reasonable, if the identical pair where both caught after seperate game starts. (Emerald's RNG always seeds at zero every time you start the game)

This may be off topic, but...

Does anyone know where I can find the original pokemon art for red/blue version? The ones drawn by ken sugimori. A link would be helpful, thanks.

i just wanted to know a little thing,its said that gen 2 was a stall party and i heard the reason was because of how the evs where used(248 in all stats) because of this,it was like max out both defenses and hp,was that the reason gen 2 was almost all about stall or there was another reason?

i just wanted to know a little thing,its said that gen 2 was a stall party and i heard the reason was because of how the evs where used(248 in all stats) because of this,it was like max out both defenses and hp,was that the reason gen 2 was almost all about stall or there was another reason?
also because when pokemon were asleep and used sleep talk.. and picked rest from using sleep talk... hp would be restored

and curse

and pokemon which walled the offensive metagame (bliss and skarm)

Snorlax was everywhere, and Snorlax that cursed up were basically impossible to beat. Blissey and Skarmory were able to wall everything together, even moreso than they can in DPPt, where they are still considered top defensive threats.

Hoping there's enough of a gap to make the double post OK.

Does Crawdaunt get Crunch in Emerald? I check Bulbapedia just now and it says it's only in FRLG.

Probably at the same level as in FR/LG as Emerald was released after, so it would make sense to use the same movepool.

Probably at the same level as in FR/LG as Emerald was released after, so it would make sense to use the same movepool.
But they don't use it. For example, if you want a Nidoking with Megahorn, you need to get it in FRLG, and then trade it over to Emerald. You can't get it in Emerald (by lvling or using Heart Scales).

Onto you, cantab, I'm sorry to say that no, Crawdaunt gets Crunch as lvl up move only in FRLG. I checked both Serebii and Bulbapedia, and both say the same. If you really want, I can powerlevel a Crawdaunt in my Emerald to check this out, but I doubt the outcome changes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)