The Everything NFL Thread - 2009

Vikings sure suck, look at that NYG/MIN Game right now. Can't believe how absolutely terrible they - oh nevermind -.-

The Vikings are fine and shouldn't be worried. They lost to a hot Carolina team, a bipolar Cardinals team, and a Bears team that was playing like it was their super bowl, and probably should have lost anyway.

Vikings sure suck, look at that NYG/MIN Game right now. Can't believe how absolutely terrible they - oh nevermind -.-

The Vikings are fine and shouldn't be worried. They lost to a hot Carolina team, a bipolar Cardinals team, and a Bears team that was playing like it was their super bowl, and probably should have lost anyway.
Very terrible indeed lol. Falcons might have back to back winning seasons for the first time ever =O. *crosses fingers*

I'm sorry, but I just don't consider what I said "bitching".

Any reasonable fan would realize that a season without a Super Bowl win is a failure, especially when the team has had more than enough talent to win the Super Bowl on more than one occasion.
To the first part, you are deluded or in denial or something similar. Calling your 11-4 team (which is about to finish off the Giants 44-7) the worst team in football when the Rams exist is fucking bitching. The only way it could not be bitching, the only single way, would be if it were incredibly dry sarcasm (which is not what you did).

To the second part, I consider any team that my team finishes 10-6 in a success. Every team has a poor chance of winning three or four successive games, and only one of twelve can. Even if your team is one of the truly "dominant" ones, then there are still going to be at worst two (very unlikely), more typically maybe more like four, and maybe even more teams that are approximately as dominant or more dominant. If you are going to get upset and frustrated by every good season that is not a championship win, then you are rarely going to be a happy sports fan. The Vikings are going to have a 30%-50% chance or so to lose to the Cowboys/Packers/Cardinals/Eagles, and that would have been the case whether they were 14-2 or 12-4.

I can't picture the Cowboys beating the Eagles.
Your imagination must be less than effective.

Do the Broncos need both the Ravens and the Jets to lose or just one of them? I know they need to win for sure, but I hope that only one of the other two need to lose.

Do the Broncos need both the Ravens and the Jets to lose or just one of them? I know they need to win for sure, but I hope that only one of the other two need to lose.
IIRC the order of priority for wild card spots in the AFc goes like this:
1. Ravens
2. Jets
3. Broncos
4. Texans
5. Steelers
6. Dolphins (dead)
7. Jaguars (dead)

Oh, and I will give the Vikings this: they are undefeated at home this season. Regardless, I still think they will lose as soon as they have to play on the road in the playoffs, and they may even lose before then depending on what team they play. I think they have a legitimate chance at beating all of the other possible opponents in the second round outside of the Packers. Though they are not seeded the highest, the Packers are on a winning streak and it would be very Vikings-like for them to lose in embarassing fashion to a team that they defeated fairly soundly twice in the regular season.

IIRC the order of priority for wild card spots in the AFc goes like this:
1. Ravens
2. Jets
3. Broncos
4. Texans
5. Steelers
6. Dolphins (dead)
7. Jaguars (dead)

Oh, and I will give the Vikings this: they are undefeated at home this season. Regardless, I still think they will lose as soon as they have to play on the road in the playoffs, and they may even lose before then depending on what team they play. I think they have a legitimate chance at beating all of the other possible opponents in the second round outside of the Packers. Though they are not seeded the highest, the Packers are on a winning streak and it would be very Vikings-like for them to lose in embarassing fashion to a team that they defeated fairly soundly twice in the regular season.
I swore I thought you would come in and be all like "This one win means nothing, as soon as you think they will do something, they will fail next. That is the vikings way ect. ect. worst team in the NFL ect."

Well... the Texans

See, aren't you guys glad I don't make dumbshit posts like this? This fine user here has the most ridiculous optimism I've ever seen. The Steelers making the playoffs, let alone winning the Super Bowl? Are you KIDDING me? Come on man, I know you like your team, but that's so absurd it can't even be put into words. While they might (and I say that tentatively) be the best team in their division, the Steelers are not even the best team in the AFC. I would put the Colts, Chargers, Pats, and maybe the Bengals all above the Steelers, and I don't even like any of those teams. I'm sorry, but when your team loses to Kansas City, Oakland, and Cleveland, you can NEVER say that they will win the Super Bowl. Not only that, but they barely beat the Vikings! THE VIKINGS! Even the lowly Panthers gave the Vikings a good thrashing! Let's be realistic here dude, the Steelers won't make it past the divisional round, if they even make it that far. Even if they did somehow make it to the Super Bowl, the Saints would more than likely be waiting there to demolish them.
Hey, anything is possible you know...for example, I don't think anyone expected the Cardinals to make it to the Super Bowl last year. Chargers barely squeaked in last year at 8-8 and proceeded to make it to the Conference game before losing to...well, the Steelers.

So yes, it's just as likely for the Steelers to make it to the Super Bowl this year, providing they get into the playoffs (remains to be seen, I'm still betting the Jets will take their spot, and likely Ravens). Just because a team looks better on paper and statistically doesn't account for shit if they can't deliver.

Edit: Eh, steelers are out since Ravens won, but hey, it could have been different. Anyone else find it a bit weird that Eagles/Cowboys and Cardinals/Packers will ironically be the first NFC playoff games as well? As for the AFC, just remains to be seen if Jets win or not...

Ok, this is just too weird...if the Jets win against the Bengals tonight, basically all of the first round playoffs for both conferences will be rematches of Week 17...just bizzare.

The only hiccup is if the Bengals beat the Jets tonight, then the Texans will be in and will play the Bengals instead. But seriously...has this ever happened? Essentially a re-run of this week?

To be exact, all of the teams in the NFC have guaranteed themselves spots in the playoffs, but the seeding could still change quite a bit. Dallas could still end up winning their division IIRC, and the Vikings, Cardinals, and Eagles/Cowboys could all be as high as the 2 seed or as low as the 4 seed. The Packers may still be able to fall to the 6 seed, though I'm not sure about that.

Also, I hope fine user Zenotwapal realizes the context in which I said the caps line (I was saying that that statement is NOT something I would say, because it is so utterly false).
You rudeness is unimaginable.

Way to correct yourself, but nobody had them even Super Bowl bound anyway =/
Your shows out as well. way to be mature, guys.

Cowboys won.
VERY happy about this.

2 consecutive shutouts is good.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Neither of them were taking a personal shot at you, simmer down.

At least the bills can beat the colt's B-team..
I don't care who the Colts were playing, we owned that field (and that gorgeous Buffalo weather) today. The announcers, a couple of cockgobblers, were consistently making biased statements against not only the Bills, but the city of Buffalo. I love how IMMEDIATELY after TO's touchdown, Beuerlein said "keep in mind this is against the Colts third stringers." Oh really, douchebag? Kelvin Hayden is not one of their best corners?

Your imagination must be less than effective.
lol, how prophetic

On another note... GO TEXANS

You rudeness is unimaginable.

Your shows out as well. way to be mature, guys.

Cowboys won.
VERY happy about this.

2 consecutive shutouts is good.
How was I being immature? I pointed out that you corrected your obviously false claim, then just pointed out how your correction still wasnt even right.... Dont have to take it personally, just make sure you know what your saying before you say "The Vikings might not even be playoff bound now" -____-

Anyway, to TAD who is quite pessimistic about the Vikings: Super Farve cant possibly mess this one up. They have a bye, then are guarenteed two games in a dome (assuming they win in the semi final, then play the Saints in the NFC Ship game), and thats at worst. At best, all their playoff games in the NFC rounds will be at home, and Farve cant possibly play like ass when he has no snow or cold to effect him. They are going to be just fine. As long as Winfield returns to normal and their pass D returns to solid, their D will be good enough to push them along since their Run D is above average. AP also seems to be covering the ball more, and thats always a +. AP is enough to scare opposing D's, and Farve will control that offense. Dont go on the past, just dont hype yourself up. Farve will handle it, and especially if they meet the Packers in the playoffs..... HE WILL EAT THE PACKERS, SO WILL JARED ALLEN LIKE LAST TIME

Anyway, to TAD who is quite pessimistic about the Vikings: Super Farve cant possibly mess this one up. They have a bye, then are guarenteed two games in a dome (assuming they win in the semi final, then play the Saints in the NFC Ship game), and thats at worst. At best, all their playoff games in the NFC rounds will be at home, and Farve cant possibly play like ass when he has no snow or cold to effect him. They are going to be just fine. As long as Winfield returns to normal and their pass D returns to solid, their D will be good enough to push them along since their Run D is above average. AP also seems to be covering the ball more, and thats always a +. AP is enough to scare opposing D's, and Farve will control that offense. Dont go on the past, just dont hype yourself up. Farve will handle it, and especially if they meet the Packers in the playoffs..... HE WILL EAT THE PACKERS, SO WILL JARED ALLEN LIKE LAST TIME
I'm pessimistic about FAVRE too. My concerns about Favre do not end @ cold weather. IMO he cannot handle the stress of being hit the ENTIRE season, i.e. the infamous December slump. You have to remember, he's midlife crisis age.

I'm pessimistic about FAVRE too. My concerns about Favre do not end @ cold weather. IMO he cannot handle the stress of being hit the ENTIRE season, i.e. the infamous December slump. You have to remember, he's midlife crisis age.
Maybe, but its January now. Hes got home field advantage for the next game, and hes got a week of rest so his old bones can heal. Im not trying to be fully optimistic, but I like the Vikings' chances at the moment.

Ok, this is just too weird...if the Jets win against the Bengals tonight, basically all of the first round playoffs for both conferences will be rematches of Week 17...just bizzare.

The only hiccup is if the Bengals beat the Jets tonight, then the Texans will be in and will play the Bengals instead. But seriously...has this ever happened? Essentially a re-run of this week?
True, it will be Eagles @ Cowboys (again), Jets @ Bengals, and Packers @ Cardinals, the only non-rematch of Week 17 being Ravens @ Patriots.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, as disappointed as I am that the Steelers have been eliminated, I am at least happy the Texans still have a shot. Hopefully Cincy gets their head out of their ass and wins this thing so the Texans will get the last spot, else the complete wrong team will get the AFC's 6th seed. I was going to post my predictions of how the playoffs would progress but I guess I have to wait til the spots are 100% determined.

Glad to hear that Pat White escaped that collision with just a concussion and not something worse. The way he instantly fell motionless like a sack of lead was a bit sickening to watch.

Well, as disappointed as I am that the Steelers have been eliminated, I am at least happy the Texans still have a shot. Hopefully Cincy gets their head out of their ass and wins this thing so the Texans will get the last spot, else the complete wrong team will get the AFC's 6th seed. I was going to post my predictions of how the playoffs would progress but I guess I have to wait til the spots are 100% determined.

Glad to hear that Pat White escaped that collision with just a concussion and not something worse. The way he instantly fell motionless like a sack of lead was a bit sickening to watch.
Why is it the complete wrong team for the 6th seed? The only reason they wouldnt deserve it is because of Special Teams and The Sanchise. Their D IS RANKED #1, AND THEIR RUSHING OFFENSE IS TOP 3 IN THE LEAGUE... Stop hating man, they arent that bad.... If their kicker could just hit a field goal against the Falcons or Bills they are easily in that playoff spot

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why is it the complete wrong team for the 6th seed? The only reason they wouldnt deserve it is because of Special Teams and The Sanchise. Their D IS RANKED #1, AND THEIR RUSHING OFFENSE IS TOP 3 IN THE LEAGUE... Stop hating man, they arent that bad.... If their kicker could just hit a field goal against the Falcons or Bills they are easily in that playoff spot
Their D is only ranked #1 after playing a resting Colts team last week. And you say the only reason they wouldn't deserve it is because of Sanchise, but that is a very BIG REASON. Having a good D and good rushing offense is good and all, but you can't succeed without at least a decent QB to lead your team. The Texans might not have as highly ranked a defense as the Jets, but they are at least average in every phase of the game, which makes them a more complete team. I really don't hate the Jets, I'm just annoyed at them for facing back to back teams that were resting starters. I just don't feel they've earned their opportunity to be in the playoffs.

Maybe, but its not their fault they were given the schedule like that... Its never fair to blame the schedule, because theres always a team that probably got in because they played one of the weakest schedules in the league. Sanchez might end up being alright, its gotta help his confidence knowing he has a good running back and an above average D backing him. Hes just gotta make the plays, and it might help playing on the rode. He has a chance to play in not so cold weather

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
I don't think this will be the year for Sanchez, I think next year will. Unless he drastically changes how he plays by next week, the Jets will get pummeled by a Cincinnati team at home actually playing at 100%. BTW Cincinnati isn't going to be much warmer than New York, I'm afraid.

Well, since it's pretty obvious how this lol of a game is going to end up, I'll go ahead and post my predictions now:

-AFC Wild Card Round-
Bengals vs Jets - Jets won't even come close when the Bengals actually try.
Patriots vs Ravens - This sounds like an upset but when you consider Welker is out and Brady has a broken finger and ribs the Ravens can easily take this. Ed Reed might be back too.

-NFC Wild Card Round-
Cardinals vs Packers - Tough pick here, but I think the Cards will find their groove next week.
Cowboys vs Eagles - As much as I hate to admit it, Cowboys are on FIYAH right now.

-AFC Divisional Round-
Ravens vs Colts - Despite all the down time, I think Manning will come out strong and pick apart Ravens secondary
Chargers vs Bengals - Here is where we will see that the Bengals are not all that special.

-NFC Divisional Round-
Cowboys vs Vikings - Red hot Cryboys will run all over Minnesota, and Favre will break down
Cardinals vs Saints - Watch what happens when Brees starts throwing 30+ times per game again. Sharper gets a pick6 off Warner who will have spent all his juice the previous week.

-AFC Championship-
Colts vs Chargers - Not this year San Diego, Colts finally figure out how to beat you in the playoffs.

-NFC Championship-
Saints vs Cowboys - Tough call here. Damn it do I hate predicting the Cowboys to win...

-Super Bowel-
Cowboys vs Colts - This will be a VERY close game, possibly overtime. As much as I hate the Cowboys, I'm pretty confident this is their year.

-AFC Wild Card Round-
Bengals vs Jets - lol
Patriots vs Ravens - Ravens could've beaten the Patriots the first time these teams met earlier this year. In fact the ravens could've/should've won a lot of games. They will kill themselves with bad plays and penalties.

-NFC Wild Card Round-
Cardinals vs Packers - Packers are playing good football atm.
Cowboys vs Eagles - Eagles won't make the same mistakes twice. They'll play better next week and dominate.

-AFC Divisional Round-
Patriots vs Colts - lol. I'm tempted to pick Patriots, but Wes Welker = nogo so yeah.
Chargers vs Bengals - easy.

-NFC Divisional Round-
Packers vs Vikings - Vikings... they just play well against the packers.
Cardinals vs Saints - Now... I know what you're thinking (the hell you smokin) but I think the Cardinals will play well this week.

-AFC Championship-
Colts vs Chargers - The Chargers have very tall receivers and have the Colts number in general lol.

-NFC Championship-
Cardinals vs Vikings - A rematch in the dome... no prob for the Vikings. The running game is picking up again so I think they can win this.

-Super Bowl-
Vikings vs Chargers - Tough call. It'll be a shootout, but I think the pass rush of the Vikings will get to rivers. Gates will have a big night though.

bias much? =P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)