Favorite Beer

THREAD UPDATED, SEE MY NEW POST

Well I turned 21 a few months ago and have been trying a lot of different beers. I'd be interested to know what kind of beer people here like and recommend. I like a darker, heavier beer, and when I can't find an interesting import or microbrew I usually grab a pack of Samuel Adams. Just the other day I tried the Sam Adams winter lager, and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys dark beers or to somebody who is used to Coors/keystone/miller lite and wants to try something new. I've recently been enjoying stout style beers, and August Schell's brewery makes a fine one. Next on my list to try is Sam Adams cream stout, but I haven't been able to find it in my area.

So Smogon beer drinkers, recommend me something and discuss your favorites!

when i was in south africa i was quite partial to a beer they had there called black label.

now that i am back in the states i will wait until i'm 21 to look for beers that hold up to black label but i have a feeling that i won't have much luck. though i hear dogfish is pretty damn good.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
there's this bar down the street from my apartment that serves homemade microbrews. They have pumpkin ale, strawberry ale, blueberry wheat beer, etc. It's all amazing. If I'm going to buy beer from the shelf I usually go for Stella when I got paper coming out the gazoo, if not, Budweiser!!!!

A favorite dark beer of mine is Smithwick's. It's made by the brewers of Guinness (a very popular stout) and I think has a green label. It's good in bottles but great on tap, where it's very smooth. I also am a fan of Dos Equis dark (which I've only had on tap) which is a dark lager. A dark lager is an interesting combination, with the characteristic crispness of a lager, but some of the thicker, less "sharp" flavor of a dark beer. Very refreshing and great with a meal. That's about all of the specifics I can think of for dark beer. Good call on the Sam Adams btw - it's always my fallback if I'm looking for microbrew ("always a good decision" indeed!).

Also, if you're looking for a cost effective beer to drink in excess at a party, I would recommend Pabst blue ribbon. It's on the price range of the super cheap beers (natty, keystone, beast etc.) but tastes waaaay better. Some people think it's thick for partying, but since you appreciate good beer I think you'll like it better than the others.

i was in australia over the summer and my friends and i found a beer by the name of beez neez that has yet to be topped by anything else we've tried. its a honey wheat beer with a great taste although ive yet to find a place that sells it in the states.

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
Lots of beers are delicious. I'd recommend you keep doing what you've been doing, and try as much as you can to see what you like and dislike. Personally, what I like to drink changes with different situations, depending on what I'm doing, how much I'll be drinking, what time of year/how cold/warm it is outside, and other things. Brands I have tried and liked are:

- Killian's Irish Red (almost sweet tasting, my usual favorite)
- Yuengling (a good all-purpose cheaper beer)
- Smithwick's (as Scoop said, very good)
- Guinness (a classic, very thick though)
- Lion's Head (excellent cheap beer for when you want quantity, but I've never seen it outside Pennsylvania)
- Samuel Adams (a variety of what they have to offer, with the Boston Lager being the norm)
- Blue Moon (belgian wheat ale, very tasty with a hint of citrus)
- Shock Top (like Blue Moon but not quite as smooth)
- Corona (piss-waterish, but good with a lime on a summer day)
- Budweiser American Ale (wouldn't touch the normal stuff if you paid me, but this isn't half bad)

If you're looking for something to play drinking games with, I'd go with Yuengling or Lion's Head if you can find it.

Also, do yourself a favor and find the nearest beer bar. I have the fortune of living 2 blocks away from one while up at school, and it is perfect for me. I get to try out new things all the time, including all manner of IPAs, pumpkin ales, christmas ales, etc. As an added bonus, draft beer tastes better than bottled (at least in my opinion; your mileage may vary).

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
wer rocking the lionshead i like it. definitely my favorite cheap beer (though yuengling is surprisingly almost as cheap)

anyway by far my favorite beer is dos equis, nothing comes close. my beer of choice at the bars is always miller lite (usually the cheapest at bars and less filling than yuengling which is usually the same price, and coors just tastes like piss water).

heineken, st pauli girl, corona and landshark are always good choices too whenever i'm in the mood to mix it up.

and i'm definitely a bottle guy. i hate draft beer with a passion. at a bar i can only usually have one or two before i need to switch to gin and tonics or something. i can handle cans if i have to.

If you like stout, Guiness should need no introduction. I can't drink the stuff mind. My taste in beer tends to be light or medium ales and bitters. I can't drink lager, the stuff's gross. Also I'm in the UK, so probably will find different stuff commonly available. The Leffe belgian beers are great. Blonde is the most popular and common, but look out for Brun or Tripel too. If I'm forced to have something "mainstream", John Smith's or Tetley's are alright. Never my first choice though. Greene King IPA is good.

Fig

Needs to stop disappearing.
is a Contributor Alumnus
When it comes to cheap beer, I can stomach Miller Lite.

Stella Artois is what I drink when I can afford it.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Beer tastes like shit, I don't know how any of you can drink it.

I've tried several different varieties to no avail.

It's an acquired taste, like many things. To me, coffee tastes foul, and I've tried several different varieties to no avail.

Beer tastes like shit, I don't know how any of you can drink it.

I've tried several different varieties to no avail.
For me, a lot of alcoholic drinks are an acquired taste, except for super sweet cocktails/mixed drinks like jack and coke (or anything and coke really.) The first bottle of wine I ever bought was a Shiraz from yellowtail, and I couldn't even finish a glass. When I turned 21 my parents bought me a bottle of Crown Royal. I still don't try to drink a glass of crown neat, but I've become partial to a bit on the rocks at night. Same thing with beer, I had to choke down the last of a pint of Guinness the first time I had it, but that unique stout flavor kept calling me back.

EDIT: Beaten by cantab.

When it comes to cheap beer, I can stomach Miller Lite.
I would take a miller lite over coors light or keystone any day.

Brands I have tried and liked are:

snip
Killian's Irish Red wasn't half bad, I was surprised to learn it's a coors brand (iirc.) To me it had a very biscuit like flavor. I would certainly drink it again if it was offered to me. Shocktop is another one I've tried and enjoyed, and it's something that all beer drinkers can enjoy as it's not too wild tasting.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody, I'll be on the lookout for some of this stuff.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I mostly drink Mac's. Its cheap enough, and it doesnt suck nuts.

Generally, I get the Sassy Red, Hop Rocker or Sundance when it is available (I havent seen it this year so that kinda sucks).

Have a nice day.

any beer without gluten in it cause Im allergic to that =(

really sucks when you're going out with friends etc. but fortunately there are other tasty (alcoholic) drinks.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just turned 19 like a few days ago and i have already had my way with the beer store here in canada aha i love the selection.

being in uni though ive tried quite a selection, and so far the best has to be dos equis and carlsberg. Both are expensive though, especially the former, and since all we ever do is binge i like james ready because 1) its 5.5% 2) the things under the bottle caps are hilarious 3) so cheap 4) tastes way better than pbr!

Most of what I get at college besides random mixes is Keystone, so I can't really advise any good beers. Budweiser and Heineken are ok, I suppose. Miller and Keystone are only fit for drinking games.

I guess the Cadillac of beers would be anything Trappist, like Chimay, but my standard beer of choice is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It's a little on the bitter side, but not obnoxiously so, and it's just heavy enough to satisfy. If you like Sam Adams, you might like Sierra Nevada.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm much a fan of dark beers, so I'll share a few of my favs that might not be well known:

Dos Equis (with or without lime)
Dogfish head 120 minute IPA (90 and 60 are good too)
Sam Adams Octoberfest (they're all good)
Seven Schillings (local brew somewhere in Scotland, absolutely the best beer I've ever had)
Miller Lite (lol for when I'm broke)

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
If I have my choice, Stella Artois draught. If I'm in Rochester, I get a local brew called Rohrbach's Scotch Ale. DELICIOUS. I will settle for Labatt Blue Light, whether bottle or draught.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)