your favorite thing to do when tired/depressed/etc.?

When tired:
Sleep
Take a shower
Watch TV

When depressed:
Skate
Skate
Skate
Skate

When Bored:
Skate
Skate
Skate
Skate
Play Videogames
this ^ add in some smokeage and some visits to the local public house and you've got all bases covered.

When depressed-
See if you can find what is getting you down. And then sort it out. For me, this is usually being a lazy student and not doing my assignments. So I do my assignments. Same idea if it is work or college or whatever. If you're depressed due to relationship problems, I doubt you'll get much help in that field from a pokemon forum. If it's none of those things, just take drugs like everyone else. Or try exercise, do push ups on your bedroom floor.

When tired-
Sleep. Drink hot chocolate and lie in your bed. If you are a guy, think about it for long enough and you'll think of a fantastic cure for insomnia. Get it?

When bored-
Try cooking. Then serve food to people. Play videogames. Get into a hobby you had years ago but stopped. Knock on someone's door and then run away. Hoover the house.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1.listen to music
2.be with friends
3.go to the bathroom
4.sleep
5.eat
6.walk around your room
7.play any game, even a childish one
8.go bother someone
9.run like an idiot in your room
I think you mean "especially". Brown and grey games aren't good for this. Go grab New Super Mario Bros. or Super Mario Galaxy if you want to use games to escape with.

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
I usually just try to become absorbed in something so I can forget all of the things going on... Fire Emblem or a good book usually does the trick for me. Just find something you really like and only focus on that.

Got any Smash with Falcon/Ganondorf unlocked? Go onto Training and set your opponent to Stop and 999% damage. Press B. It's best in Brawl, where you can set up several Blast Boxes at 999% and Falcon Pawnch them. It's especially lulzy in an enclosed stage.

Or just go onto WiFi and Taunt spam. Disconnect if there are serious players. (or beat the crap out of them. It's your decision.)

I used to play Bejewelled for long periods of time. The flashing colours and sound is pretty mindless, but it's occupying enough that you can stop thinking about the depressing stuff.

With insomnia, the most important thing is not to be in bed. If you're in bed and can't sleep, and you do this regularly, the brain can lose bed-sleep association and you will find it harder and harder to sleep.

Exercise creates endorphins.
Endorphins make you happy.
Happy people just don't kill their husbands.

I'd recommend exercise, it's a good natural high and you can give yourself something to work towards like running longer or faster or lifting heavier weights. There's also visible benefits to your fitness after a while.

I wouldn't sleep though, personally it just makes me feel more lethargic and feels worse when you're not doing something productive.
The bold would work...if he made depression/blahness a regular routine :P But I definitely have to agree with sbc, exercise and avoid sleep. I recommend running or biking over weights because it's easier to get up and go (lifting weights can be rather difficult while depressed, it's hard to keep going enough to snap the mood). Personal success story, I got some disturbing mood that put me below low, so I went out (at 3 am...) and sprinted in bursts, each one lasting all I could. It didn't wipe my mind of the thoughts but made me pretty apathetic to the whole situation (and I haven't got worked up over it since).

Video games can be alright in smaller down swings but with heavier ones you won't want to sit around, and firestorm is definitely right about sticking to lighthearted games.

I'm going to go out on a limb and recommend against music for dealing with these funks. While it is most definitely dependant on what you listen to, what usually happens to me is that I become nostalgic or lonely (due to various factors), so while it may help with one mood it can result in another entirely. It put my friend through so many different emotional swings, despite her mentioning that music helped her with depression. Again, it is totally dependant on the music at hand but definitely something to watch out for.

When depressed, music and video games do it for me. Mellow music for the pseudo-empathy factor, and video games to take my mind off of something. I find it's best to stay away from facebook (especially if someone on there has something to do with why you're bummed). Some people mentioned masturbation, lol, but I find being depressed takes the fun out of it. Single player games are better than shoddy, since playing badly can cause rage which certainly doesn't help.

If you're tired because you've been doing a lot, then sleep. But I'm guessing that's obvious... if I'm tired for no good reason at all, I think it's best to be with friends or doing something that will lift your spirits, since often it's a psychological thing. Also, try going to sleep and waking up earlier, as waking up too late can make you drowsy all day.

When really bored I play shoddy, lol. Anytime you see mawile on the leaderboard, it means I have extremely little to do :p

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
when tired i obviously sleep!

when feeling a bit depressed (which is generally only caused by girl drama) i like to go for a run or work out or something. it makes me feel good to be bettering myself rather than worrying about situations involving other people.

i've been feeling something like this recently and i guess these are what i do, separated into two categories. the first one includes stuff i do to pass the time that doesn't really give me a sense of satisfaction but i do anyways because it makes me not feel bored as hell and the second one includes things i do because they pass the time but also make me feel better.

"empty pleasures"
1. eating stuff (ramen, fruit snacks, cheddar cheese on triscuits, orange juice from concentrate). it's just something to do with my hands / mouth / whatever which is probably why i do it.
2. playing brawl with other bored kids in my house.
3. playing pokemon. i've found this is an extremely bad thing to do while in a sad mood because (a) i suck complete dick and go on massive losing streaks when not concentrating which obviously doesn't help the situation (b) there is no fun in the game when i'm playing it because there's nothing else to do.

"actual good things"
1. definitely the best solution is to do homework. i never like starting homework but once i get started it is seriously one of the best feelings in the world because it makes me feel really smart (when i solve problems) and also gives me a sense of accomplishment.
2. hang out with people. self explanatory. a warning similar to scoopapa's facebook warning should go here, though.
3. play the violin. it's sort of like what others have mentioned with music. gives a sense of accomplishment when i improve.
4. watch house. no idea why watching most tv would go in the above category but house goes in this one. maybe it's because i relate to him more.

i lied there's a third category
"neither"
listening to music doesn't really fit in either. if i'm not doing anything else while listening to music i'm kinda just sitting there or laying on my bed which is the same situation i was in before i was looking for something to do. if i am doing something else while listening to music, then the other activity determines what category my actions go in (like if i'm listening to music and doing homework it goes in the "good" category but if i'm on a 0-20 streak on ladder while listening to music it sucks).

I know it sounds pretty lame, but when I'm feeling down, I go play a game I really liked as a child. A recent fave of mine has been playing Animal Crossing for the wii. That game is a great stress reliever, because there isn't any real rush or goal. And I always get a little mood boost seeing "Oh, ______, you're back, we missed you!" and all that sort of thing, even though its just from a game. I think its kinda cute.. Maybe I'm just really lame? lol.

Other things I do seem to be pretty usual, like listen to music, talk to a friend, hang out with someone, draw, etc. I also sometimes make food, usually desserts like cake. Eating ice cream always lifts my mood.

Obviously if I'm tired, I nap or just go to sleep early, haha.

Fig

Needs to stop disappearing.
is a Contributor Alumnus
When those funks set in, I usually lie in bed and watch a good movie or two. Other times, I'll fire up some Warcraft III or Starcraft, turn on God mode, and just annihilate the AI.

recently, ive been doing one of three things when im bored

1. Go outside and shoot some hoops
2. Listen to music
3. Shoddy (haha)

One thing that works for me when I'm depressed is to just cry. It really does make you feel a lot better afterward. And when I'm tired, I just sleep. I find that caffeine does not help for this, unless you have to stay awake for a half-hour or something (it causes you to only get more tired pretty quickly).

Eat Taco Bell
Watch tv
play Pokemon Heart Gold (I just beat Clair, only halfway through the game)
Go on facebook
Read the articles on Smogon (yes, I know that I'm a pokenerd)
Engage in flame wars on youtube (I'm in one right now, against someone who really hates pokemon for some reason)
Calculus (I'm not even kidding)

I like to listen to my CD player or Ipod and go walking through the neighborhood and just kinda let my thoughts bounce off my head. I like to do that though regardless of depression or not.

I've also used working as a way to kill depression though. I absolutely love to work, and if you do something in which you are really busy, you can keep your mind off of whatever might have you depressed. If it's your job that makes you depressed, find another job.

Play pokemon.

This is going to sound awful, but if you have the taste for it, play something that promotes mass destruction. It might sound psychotic or even a bit homicidal, but it help me relax after a long day.
God Of War and GTA are two examples of games are great for it, even though they stand at totally opposide ends of the gaming spectrum.

People and pot are my two ways to escape depression. I find that the only time I'm truly happy is when other people are present. Things that cheer me up a little bit also include; 1. Rolling a joint. I don't even have to smoke it. Just the act of rolling a joint keeps me so occupied that when I'm finished I feel really accomplished if it's nice. 2. Exercise. You can always tell when I'm depressed because I'll jog constantly. 3. Listen to depressing music and write. How cliche!

tired :
sleep. even at school. who cares.

bored :
I get bored kinda quickly (like within 15 minutes), and when I'm bored, I feel sleepy, so I sleep. even at school. who cares. my math teacher sucks anyway. (and I've got an A in maths)
when not at school, hanging out with friends is the best solution. when friends are busy, I'll play games all day long. or simply sleep.

depressed :
It's been a while since I last feel depressed, but back then when I was still capable of feeling depressed, I cry. yeap. Now? I dunno, how does it feel to be depressed anyway?

When I'm really tried i useally take a nap or watch somthing on tv or movie

When I'm feeling depressed i listen to some music or play some drums or ride my bike.

When i'm bored, same as above, execpt maybe play my DS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)