CAP 10 CAP 10 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started on mine as soon as the final artwork was announced.

I didn't really try to make it that big, I just opened the 80x80 canvas and drew it out. If there's enough popular call for CAP 10 looking small I'll change the size.
I also like this one. It's pose is a bit generic, but a bit more natural-looking imo. Personally I like the size of this one (and Scepticallistic's), as I imagine this poke to be closer to the size of yanmega (ie big) than bellossom (tiny)

First of all, I second bear's remark. I think that it would me more appropriate for the sprite of our shrimp mon to be smaller. Sprites don't absolutely have to take up the entire 80 X 80 pixels, although many of the ones from our other CAPS probably do. I cannot see this Pokemon being terribly large. I imagine this thing being about eight to eighteen inches in height. Most of our previous CAP creations (if not all of them) have been at least five feet tall.

To properly emmulate the small size of our CAP creation, I think a small sprite would work well. As such, I'm likely going to lean towards smaller sprites. Cartoons! and DougJustDoug have excellent examples of what I'm talking about, although the sprite doesn't need to be that small either if you don't want to make it that small.

That said, if the posing and coloring is good, I'm not going to immediately write off a larger sprite.

Anyways, onwards to the reviews of the sprites:

@ Cartoons!

I love it. I love how small it is, for one. The coloration of the rosier sprite that you've editted into your previous post looks a lot better and seems to resemble aragornbird's artwork.

@ DougJustDoug

I agree with you: every CAP sprite has been rather large (and so have our CAP mons). I can also see it having a large HP stat in spite of being small: the exoskeleton implies that at least one of CAP 10's defenses ought to be high. HP is just as good as any.

It's awesome that you're doing everything you reasonably can to keep your sprite from taking up the entire 80 x 80 size limit. Frankly, I don't think you have too much to worry about in regards to detail: aragornbird's design is pretty simple. Your most recent coloration looks good, but it just seems like something is just not right about the sprite: the problem is that I can't put my finger on it. The fact that whatever is making it seem off is not immediately obvious to me is actually good... I'm probably just being picky.

EDIT:

Ah, now I see what was tipping me off earlier: it was the darker outline and the more visible leg that were whispering "I need help" to me. The coloring is a lot better now.

@ Scepticallistic

God, I love the coloring and I love the pose of your sprite. What you have is an excellent start.

However, there are two cheif compalints I have about this sprite. Number one has been told to you before and that is that the antanea are too thick. I would say that the antanea should be one or two pixels in thickness, not three (which seems to be what the current antanea are). The antanea are not terribly thick in aragornbird's design. Also, it really is not necessary to make the sprite fill the entire 80 x 80, as not a whole lot of sprites in the actual game do anyway. I think just bending the antanea down at some point in the middle of them like in aragornbird's design and bringing the rest down a little closer to the shrimp's head should allievate this problem.

By the way, it didn't look like a mess to me when I first saw it. In fact, this immediatly popped out to me as something that was a great start and had a lot of potential.

The shiny coloration... screams "ick." Then again, shiny sprites in the game sometimes scream "ick" too, so it's not that big of a deal.

EDIT:

That update actually looks pretty good. Now that you mention that you're accustomed to making 160 x 160 sprites, I can see where you went a little large with this sprite. I would suggest that you try to make it about 65 x 65 or something like that, but don't worry too much about it if it doesn't work out: a smaller sprite would simply be my prefference and should NOT dictate how you make your sprite (and you definately don't have to appologize for making it large-I was just explaining why I thought it was a little large). The antanea look a lot better now that you've thinned them up.

---

And that's all I have to say for now. I hope you'll have just as much fun making these sprites as I'll have commenting on them.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Updated based on feedback.

Rhys29 -- thanks for the tips. You were spot-on about my use of black making the sprite look more like a 3rd gen sprite. I always lay down my base outlines in black, and then as I fill it in, I tend to "get used to it". Anyway, after reading your comment, I realized my sprite really was a bit heavy on the outlining, and I needed to tone it down all the way around. I'll probably go even further than I did above, but I'm going to tweak it in steps.

I'll see what I can do about the lower leg. I messed around with the legs quite a bit, and tried to find a happy balance between form and function. Working in a very tight space makes this tough to position it the way I would like. But, I'll see what I can do.

I've darkened the pink tones a bit and thinned up and lowered the antennae. Sorry about the "largeness" of the sprite, but I'm accustomed to working in 160 x 160 canvases. And the shiny form was kind of a test. :V

Scepticallist I love the sprite. I think the antennae tips could use a more glowing look if possible, maybe by using brighter colors or only using yellow. The pink in the center makes them look buggy, instead of glowing. I love the pose, it looks like its going to do a back flip then nail you with a hydro pump or ice beam or spin and slice you x-scissor. Great work.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The pose is fantastic, but the artwork itself still needs a bit of refining. For example, the lining on the bulbs of the antennae is faint and frigid. I'm not sure what else needs to be fixed specifically, but I still think it needs more polishing in general.

I shrunk the shrimp.

The pose is a bit generic, but I thought a neutral stance would be the best way to go. The dynamic ones I considered didn't really fit as well.

Actually, as far as the pose on Sceptical's sprite is concerned, I think it's good, but I think it needs to be changed a little bit. For me personally, the right (my right) forelimb pointing downard is sort of difficult to see with the tail and left hind leg in the same general area, it sort of obscures it a bit. I'd suggest darkening said hindlimb so that the contrast makes the forelimb easier to see.

-EDIT- @ Vader: ....hmmm.... well, the size is better, but I'm missing all the detail that was in the bigger one now. ;__; LOL sorry. Maybe try a middle ground between the two.

Still a work in progress, but I wanted try spriting him in a mantis shrimp-like position.

EDIT: I suppose I should give feedback. Out of all the sprites presented so far, I'm liking Cartoons' and Doug's sprites. The others are too large, imo.

I shrunk the shrimp.

The pose is a bit generic, but I thought a neutral stance would be the best way to go. The dynamic ones I considered didn't really fit as well.
I actually prefered the big shrimp, the small sprites doesn't look well, detals can't be added very well.

This is way better, and the shape of the antenas, makes the sprite like.....

I've darkened the pink tones a bit and thinned up and lowered the antennae. Sorry about the "largeness" of the sprite, but I'm accustomed to working in 160 x 160 canvases. And the shiny form was kind of a test. :V
This is way better, and the shape of the antenas, makes the sprite look like more relaxed.

Just my initial draft. Not quite happy with it though. The pose made all the limbs on it's left side cramped. I still need to mess with colours and such. The visable hind leg will probably be readjusted at some point.

Scept, on the bits on the end of the antenna, try adding a kind of bubble like shading to them so they don't look so flat. Did you see cyvervisheen's art entry (came 2nd, i think)? Bit like the hollow bits on that. At the moment they just look a bit static.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think you've gone a bit overboard with the highlights there, but otherwise I think it looks great!

It's really good Paras Hilton. Just nitpicks though: I figured it out after looking for a bit but its right (our left), mid-section leg is positioned so that it looks like part of the face to me at first glance, like it is puckering or something... and the foot in the bottom right corner of the canvas doesn't look quite proportionate to its counterpart.
Overall a great sprite! I love the aggressive pose. Looks like he means biznis.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Also, I think you've forgotten to remove some black between the left antennae and the eye.

Someone want to explain to me the rule no. 6? Because right now I'm interpreting it quite literally and only having 8 colors on my sprite. If I could go up to 16 colors then I could make things stand out a lot more (darker shading on things in the back to make the front stand out, make the antennae super shiny, etc.) :T

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Someone want to explain to me the rule no. 6? Because right now I'm interpreting it quite literally and only having 8 colors on my sprite. If I could go up to 16 colors then I could make things stand out a lot more (darker shading on things in the back to make the front stand out, make the antennae super shiny, etc.) :T
You're allowed to have 15 colors + black outline as long as you use what's available on ms paint.

Question: I'm great at spriting, but I'm horrible with palettes, so when I sprite from scratch, I typically go back and use official sprites' RGB color values and palettes. So would using their colors count as not spriting from scratch?

@Scepticallistic

I really like the pose, but I think it needs more transition from the yellow to the pink. Personally, I think it needs a very faint outline for the yellow patterns. I also think your colors need to be a bit darker. Btw, I love the shiny colors.

@DarthVader317

The yellow needs to be a tiny bit lighter. It stands out a bit too much. And I'm agreeing that the bend of the antennae is a bit awkward.

@DougJustDoug

I think the pink is too bright. In some places it looks like white in fact.

@PeanutFlipz

I'm pretty sure your sprite is a WIP, but it looks very "cartoonish" if you get what I mean. It also looks a bit too busy.

Just for fun, I counted how many times I said "a bit" and "I think" in this post. There was four of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)