First Team [RMT]

This is my first post on this site, long time reader/user, so I finally decided, with the purchase of both Platinum and SS/HG to finally try my hand at the competitive game, starting with OU. However, I'm still a bit shaky about overall gelling of team. I am aware of the general uses of Pokemon but I would love some help so this is my first time attempting, so critisize me as you will.

Gliscor (Jolly) Leftovers
252 Hp/ 40 Def/ 216 Spe
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

This is basic SR lead. One of the major reasons I originally picked him was because I wanted someone to protect me from my Electric weakness via Empoleon and Togekiss. Also needed a SR user. Used Roost as I have no Wish support, otherwise I'd use an attacking move, preferably U-Turn.

Dusknoir (Impish) Leftovers
252 HP/ 28 Atk/ 228 Def
- WoW
- Pain Split
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

My physical wall and rapid spin blocker. Used to take down Gyara and generally WoW Physical sweepers. Stall others with Pain Split, increasing his longevity. Not the most effective I know but I do love Dusknoir as a Pokemon.

Dragonite (Jolly) Choice Band
252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Speed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed

Good old CBand Dragonite. Can rip teams to shreds with those boosted moves. Makes a pretty good Revenge Killer with the Jolly Nature and ES, Fire Punch is mainly for those pesky Steel Types who try to wall you (here's looking at you Forretress)

Empoleon (Modest) - Petraya Berry
24 Def/ 252 SpA/ 232 Spe
- Agility
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Another of my favourite pokemon. A basic moveset, Sub to protect yourself, Agi and start to Sweep. Was going to go with Grass Knot over Sub but with no Cleric, means he can be crippled by T-Wave and that would completely wreck me. Also used as a Pseudo Special Wall with Gliscor.

Togekiss (Modest) Lum Berry
252 HP/ 152 SpA/ 104 Spe
- Aura Sphere
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Nasty Plot

Another Pseudo Special Wall and Sweeper. Normal stuff, recovery, NP up and fliinch-hax away with Air Slash, AS when needed. Lum Berry to prevent Para from destroying the sweeping capabilities.

Infernape (Hasty) Life Orb
172 Atk/ 144 SpA/ 192 Spe
- Close Combat
- Grass Knot
- Overheat
- Mach Punch

OR

Infernape (Timid) Life Orb
4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Vacuum Wave
- Nasty Plot

Bit undecided on the Infernape set to use, I wanted to avoid Focus Blast as the accuracy really can screw up a sweep, it only takes one miss to screw you over royally. Also helps me to take down Tyranitar, Heatran and Lucario. Nice Mixed Attacker to support my team.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ha I had a team very simiar to this except this was based around Empoloen sweeping with Toxic Spikes up.

Anyway this is a nice teamand I do love CB Dragonite!

I think that Starmie works better than Togekiss on your team. Starmie also spins away any hazards (such as SR) and it also hits very hard with Hydro Pump and such like. You do have a weakness to stall and infernape will help with this. Authough I think the Specially based mix ape benfits your team best as a whole I like that a NP Mixape works best at the moment to help comabat stall better than the Specailly Based Mixape so use the NP set on your team at this stage.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I don't see any reason to run Dusknoir over a Rotom forme. Your reasons listed for using Dusknoir can easily be applied to Rotom except Rotom has a better typing and extra immunity, an Electric resistance is pretty nice too. The set I had in mind is,

Rotom-H@Leftovers
Bold Nature
EVs:252 HP/ 168 Def/ 88 Speed
-Thunderbolt
-Will-O-Wisp
-Shadow Ball
-Overheat/Pain Split

So this Rotom can do what your Dusknoir does, take care of Gyarados and WoW Physical sweepers. Rotom also takes reduced damage from Scizor's Bullet Punch, can take down other Ghost types with it's Shadow Ball, gets rid of Gyarados and other Water types with it's STAB Thunderbolt, and hit steels like Metagross with Overheat. Pain Split is slashed next to Overheat because thats one of the reasons you liked using Dusknoir and the Steel types like Scizor or Metagross that Overheat was hitting aren't doing much to Rotom anyway.

I can see what you mean about Rotom, one of the major reasons I am a bit shaky about using him is then I have 4 Special Attackers, won't special walls find it easier to stall me/set up? (Not like Blissey, but those attackers with high SpD, Togekiss for example). ?

Your team is very balanced, I am especially impressed with your synergy and movesets, but I see some things that could be replaced. First of all, this is just my opinion, so you don't have to take it, so anyways: I would replace Dragonite with Salamance because I think it would be a better revange killer. I f you plan to use my advice, I would recomend this set: (Details are on the bottom)

Salamence @Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
(Rash)
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor

This MixMence basically functions like your Dragonite, only with higher Atk, SAtk, and Spd. Outrage is a strong STAB move for destroying anything that is neutral to the types of your other moves, Fire Blast is for destroying Steel types, (such as the pesky Foretress) Earthquake for Ice tyes and such, and Draco Meteor for yet another strong STAB attack.
By the way, I think you battled me on PBR today! (good game by the way, I was 'Albino :X' ) Hoped I helped! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)