Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im hopeing for a Water/Bug pokemon with Swift Swim or Huge Power, massive atack and speed stats, decent movepool to replace Kabutops in Rain Dance teamsas a physical sweeper.
Now that's an interesting typing. I would like to see this as well. I think only Surskit has this typing so far.

Weakness x2: electric, flying, rock

Resistances: Steel, ground, fighting, Ice, poison?

I can't remember for sure but I believe both bug and water are neutral to poison.

Edit: Water is resistant to water, so there's another on that list

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
yes what is the world comming to, next thing you know somone is going to compare kabutops to beedril.

yes ludicolo is a menacing pokemon under the rain and anyone dose not see that deserves to get sweeped by it.
I think that Wolfen meant to say in his post that the name Ludicolo is rather unusual. I don't think he means to say that Ludicolo is a horrible Pokemon. It's kind of a given that Ludicolo is a menace in rain. We all know that, but what he most likely was trying to get at is that the name, "Ludicolo" sounds rather ridiculous in the English language.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I think that McLuvdisc meant to say in his post that the name Ludicolo is rather unusual. I don't think he means to say that Ludicolo is a horrible Pokemon. It's kind of a given that Ludicolo is a menace in rain. We all know that, but what he most likely was trying to get at is that the name, "Ludicolo" sounds rather ridiculous in the English language.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/918915-pokemon-firered-version/faqs/29343

Ludicolo- (ludic-colocynth) A really tough one if you don't know your vocab. Ludic means "playful in an aimless way," much like the energetic Ludicolo, who loves to dance. A colocynth is "a plant bearing a round, yellow and green fruit." A perfect description of Ludicolo's appearance. Ludicolo's entire name could also be a play off of "ridiculo," the Spanish word for ridiculous.
Well, that's what I got ~__~

I think that McLuvdisc meant to say in his post that the name Ludicolo is rather unusual. I don't think he means to say that Ludicolo is a horrible Pokemon. It's kind of a given that Ludicolo is a menace in rain. We all know that, but what he most likely was trying to get at is that the name, "Ludicolo" sounds rather ridiculous in the English language.
I never said anything about Ludicolo...you must be thinking of someone else. I love our little pineapple friend, even though I've always suspected that GameFreak making him Mexican and part Grass type was some kind of underhanded racial comment on the drug cartels...maybe I'm reading too deeply into their design choices.

Anyway, I tried the EMP thing with Japanese names:

Gen 1 - Eleboo, Marumain, Pikachu
Gen 2 - Elekid, Maripu and Mokoko, Pichu
Gen 3 - (Nothing for E), Minun, Purasle
Gen 4 - Elekible (Nothing for M), Pachirisu

The pattern breaks twice, but I still think it looks pretty solid. Anyway, it might be only found in the English games.

Oh, and while on my epic quest to find these names (said quest consisted of typing them into Google Search) I found what may be the coolest name ever.

Garchomp's French name is (brace yourselves) Carchacrok. It comes from Carcharadon (the scientific name for the Great White Shark) and croquer (to bite), with a "k" added to the end for extra awesomeness. Darn Frenchies. Never won a war in the last five hundred years, and they still get the best Pokemon names. Where is justice in this world?

Well, that's what I got ~__~
That's interesting. I always knew that the first part of Ludicolo's name was based on "Ludicrous" but I never understood the suffix.

So basically:

+
=

Im hopeing for a Water/Bug pokemon with Swift Swim or Huge Power, massive atack and speed stats, decent movepool to replace Kabutops in Rain Dance teamsas a physical sweeper.
See, Surskit would have done all that had it retained its typing and got more stat upon evolution, they abandoned such a good concept, a water/ bug with swift swim...

i always though it was a pity to make it just another bug/flying.

there needs to be a major buff in Poison type next gen.

anyone think a Poison/Dragon would work?
The viability of the type would rely on the individual pokemon themselves, but with pseudo-legendary BST (600) it could definitely work. Resistances to bug, electric, fighting, fire, grass, and water, with immunity to toxic and the ability to absorb toxic spikes would be very nice. It is weak to dragon, ground, ice, and psychic, but it wouldn't be 4x weak to any of them. Something like 120 / 90 / 110 / 85 / 95 / 100 would be pretty cool. Two abilities like Shield Dust and Levitate would be nice. Support options could be Toxic Spikes, Roar, Whirlwind, Sleep Powder, Knock Off, Taunt, and Roost. It would be able to counter things like Choice Scarf Jirachi (if Shield Dust) or be nearly broken with Levitate as a tank (though then you can't absorb Toxic Spikes).

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
See, Surskit would have done all that had it retained its typing and got more stat upon evolution, they abandoned such a good concept, a water/ bug with swift swim...

i always though it was a pity to make it just another bug/flying.
Agreed. Perhaps either Surskit or Masquerain will gain an evolution with Bug/Water typing and/or Swift Swim. Also, it'd be nice if its base stat total were higher than 414, where Masquerain currently sits.

Actually, you know what we need? We need an item that when equipped on a Bug/Flying type allows it to doge all Rock-type attacks. That would go a long way toward making a lot of Pokémon viable. Maybe allow it to affect all Pokémon with insect wings: Butterfree, Beedrill, Venomoth, Scyther, Ledyba, Ledian, Yanma, Scizor, Beautifly, Dustox, Masquerain, Ninjask, Volbeat, Illumise, Kricketot, Kricketune, Mothim, Combee, Vespiquen, and Yanmega. Oh, and Vibrava and Flygon.

EDIT: Let's have that item allow the Pokémon to avoid Stealth Rock damage, too, just to sweeten the deal.

Agreed. Perhaps either Surskit or Masquerain will gain an evolution with Bug/Water typing and/or Swift Swim. Also, it'd be nice if its base stat total were higher than 414, where Masquerain currently sits.

Actually, you know what we need? We need an item that when equipped on a Bug/Flying type allows it to doge all Rock-type attacks. That would go a long way toward making a lot of Pokémon viable. Maybe allow it to affect all Pokémon with insect wings: Butterfree, Beedrill, Venomoth, Scyther, Ledyba, Ledian, Yanma, Scizor, Beautifly, Dustox, Masquerain, Ninjask, Volbeat, Illumise, Kricketot, Kricketune, Mothim, Combee, Vespiquen, and Yanmega.

EDIT: Let's have that item allow the Pokémon to avoid Stealth Rock damage, too, just to sweeten the deal.
That would be pretty cool, and I think they should actually implement the following idea:
http://www.smogon.com/cap/abilities?mountaineer

The concept is pretty neat, and it would make sense if there are some bug-types accustomed to mountainous conditions and dealing with rock slides.

Man...so many paleontologists on this forum or a bunch of dorky kids...you guys tell me.
My degree is in Earth Sciences, but I only did a little palaeobiology, my main areas were geophysics and mineralogy.

Speaking of mineralogy, I think they could makes some cool Pokemon based on certain minerals. Haematite might be cool one, for the typical shape, as might pyrite for its colour. They'd proibably land up being either pure Rock or Rock/Steel though, neither of which are great typings.

The viability of the type would rely on the individual pokemon themselves, but with pseudo-legendary BST (600) it could definitely work. Resistances to bug, electric, fighting, fire, grass, and water, with immunity to toxic and the ability to absorb toxic spikes would be very nice. It is weak to dragon, ground, ice, and psychic, but it wouldn't be 4x weak to any of them. Something like 120 / 90 / 110 / 85 / 95 / 100 would be pretty cool. Two abilities like Shield Dust and Levitate would be nice. Support options could be Toxic Spikes, Roar, Whirlwind, Sleep Powder, Knock Off, Taunt, and Roost. It would be able to counter things like Choice Scarf Jirachi (if Shield Dust) or be nearly broken with Levitate as a tank (though then you can't absorb Toxic Spikes).
Pseudo-legendary dragon/poison sounds pretty good. That will make poison types awesome along with Gengar. How will it be about the joke Unown in gen 5. Will it be more laughable jokes about Unown like now and before, or it will finally get a movepool how are so broken to make Unown the uber of the ubers? Even more uber than Arceus?

ya know what would be cool?
Give unown an evo (still psychic, still levitate)
Keep its current movepool
But give it arceus stats
It would be really good stat wise
But the trade off is having only one move

ya know what would be cool?
Give unown an evo (still psychic, still levitate)
Keep its current movepool
But give it arceus stats
It would be really good stat wise
But the trade off is having only one move
lol. Unown evolves into Arceus

Only as an Arbok evo.
Or Weezing evo w/ Levitate + Steel/Poison typing and Recover

Or maybe, as mentioned, Smog/Acid Rain weather effects.

I was thinking this the other night; what about a weather affect that powered up entry hazards. Acts as an entry hazard + powers up all entry hazards on the field, maybe makes levitating/flying Pokemon hurt by Spikes...

And maybe a Pokemon w/ an ability that ignores everything besides damage. Very similar to Bidoof's unaware, but it's stats aren't effected by stat modifiers, either. SD and CP raise the stat, but the effects are ignored. Burn will not halve attack and Paralysis not speed. Will-O-Wisp/T-Wave doesn't even work on it. Taunt, SR, Screens, weather attack/defense boosts, all ignored. The enemy will always deal the same amount of damage it will regularly deal, weather it's +6 or -6, and the same goes for the Pokemon w/ this ability......

I was thinking this the other night; what about a weather affect that powered up entry hazards. Acts as an entry hazard + powers up all entry hazards on the field, maybe makes levitating/flying Pokemon hurt by Spikes...

And maybe a Pokemon w/ an ability that ignores everything besides damage. Very similar to Bidoof's unaware, but it's stats aren't effected by stat modifiers, either. SD and CP raise the stat, but the effects are ignored. Burn will not halve attack and Paralysis not speed. Will-O-Wisp/T-Wave doesn't even work on it. Taunt, SR, Screens, weather attack/defense boosts, all ignored. The enemy will always deal the same amount of damage it will regularly deal, weather it's +6 or -6, and the same goes for the Pokemon w/ this ability......
so a broken version of Magic Guard?

Speaking of mineralogy, I think they could makes some cool Pokemon based on certain minerals. Haematite might be cool one, for the typical shape, as might pyrite for its colour. They'd proibably land up being either pure Rock or Rock/Steel though, neither of which are great typings.
Sorry dude, Gen 6 title's got minerals covered.

Schist and Quartz versions, here we come.

@Airfoil: The only way I would ever accept a pokemon that ignored everything except damage is if we make another pokemon similar to Ninjask; very high speed as to spread and absorb status effectively, but frail offense and defence to make it so that it can't take more than one powerful hit or deal that much. I actually would enjoy this idea if it was put on such a situational pokemon.

Edit: @Angel Masamune: That sounds like an interesting idea. Having it go off of two stats would make it fairly useful as well, and would make pokemon that would otherwise become powerhouses with such a move be a bit more tamed. For instance, the attack would use both Special Attack and Speed for calculation by combining them and dividing by two, to get the middle value. That may be a bit unnecessary, but it's just an idea, either way.

This sounds really cool. Could prevent a sweep by say, +2 DD Gyara if it had the right typing/stats too.

Today I had this weird idea of attacking moves which don't work off attack or special attack, but rather the speed stat. In all kinds of RPG's I'm kind of a speed whore, and I always thought the speed stat in pokemon did too little. Also taking speed into account for the damage calculation isn't too far fetched either, as the faster you move the more potential energy you have. Of course this kind of moves would have to be balanced very carefully to prevent stuff like Ninjask and Yanmega becoming broken beyond imagination. But it would be a welcome boost to pokes like Electrode or Dugtrio.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Today I had this weird idea of attacking moves which don't work off attack or special attack, but rather the speed stat. In all kinds of RPG's I'm kind of a speed whore, and I always thought the speed stat in pokemon did too little. Also taking speed into account for the damage calculation isn't too far fetched either, as the faster you move the more potential energy you have. Of course this kind of moves would have to be balanced very carefully to prevent stuff like Ninjask and Yanmega becoming broken beyond imagination. But it would be a welcome boost to pokes like Electrode or Dugtrio.
Well, we do already have Gyro Ball. Of course, that's more powerful the slower you are compared to your opponent, so it seems much more balanced than what you're suggesting.

Breath of Fire III has a bunch of those--attacks that calculate damage based on a different stat, like speed or defense. In my experience, they're not all that broken, even on Peco the mutant onion (he's got Shuckle's defenses, but with way more HP). Of course, with STAB and possibly super-effective-ness behind them, they might hit a lot harder in the Pokemon world. What I want to blurt is "well, just make them a stupid type like Normal or Poison!" so that Crobat can use a STAB Poison move just because it uses his base 130 Speed to determine damage.

EDIT: When I say that they calculated damage "based on a different stat, like speed or defense", I meant it; the calculations don't even touch the user's actual Attack score. Gyro Ball just uses relative Speed scores to determine its base power, and is otherwise just like any other physical Steel attack, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)