SmogonDex for iPhone, iPod, iPad

As someone who plans to buy an iPod Touch as soon as I get the money, I would love to be able to have this App downloaded.

Everything mentioned sounds like a great addition to the App.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This would honestly be the greatest thing ever. God knows I spend more time on my Iphone than French class. Besides it would be nice to scour every single analysis even if you aren't building a team around them.
I also have to pay to use wifi on the go so this would be perfect.

Wish I could help but I can't unfortunately.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Main issue (other than hey coding isn't easy and simple) is probably the fact that it costs $100 to have the membership you need to send an iPhone app to the App Store. When you can just open Smogon's browser for free on that same phone, I doubt this will get done anytime soon.

To clarify, it is not in development right now. I am part of the iPhone developer program though. Right now I'm waiting on some feedback from Smogon staff, but once (if) that happens I could start work on it fairly soon.

That would be pretty awesome.

You should make sure you don't just have stats if you do make it, graphs are much easier to see. I don't see too many sites with graphs that have this sort of function
Maybe you should even include a part that would include the attack types the pokemon has, to see what its strong offensively against and weak offensively against, along with your idea of what its defensively strong and defensively weak types. That may be a bit complicated, but its worth a thought.

Let me clarify:
Defensively is what Jungle Boy suggested way back in post #6
Offensively would have an input of what the pokemons attack move types it has, so if you had a ground attack move and rock attack move it would show its strong against rock and electric (but not very effective against say another ground type) in one move, and strong against flying and bug in the other. So it would show what its strong against. (although it would show a list like in the link shown in post #6.)

Although It may be a bit much to chew.

To clarify, it is not in development right now. I am part of the iPhone developer program though. Right now I'm waiting on some feedback from Smogon staff, but once (if) that happens I could start work on it fairly soon.
Internal discussion about this is happening as we speak.

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
However, even without Smogon involvement you should still be able to make the app. The analysis (to my knowledge) are created using a script which means they have a fairly consistent format. Even without XML dumps and the like you should still be able to make them, although it wouldn't perform nearly as well. The only issue you'd come into is whether or not Smogon approves, and I honestly think they would.

If it could work offline, that would be really good.
Because then you wouldn't require an internet or wifi access point in order to communicate with the App.
It's a remarkable idea to me, and it wouldn't be a complete loss if it did require internet.

If it could work offline, that would be really good.
Because then you wouldn't require an internet or wifi access point in order to communicate with the App.
It's a remarkable idea to me, and it wouldn't be a complete loss if it did require internet.
You could get internet where ever you have phone service (at least with AT&T), but it would still be nice to have it offline.

At who ever said we could just go onto Smogon's dex on the site on the iPod, well, that isn't necessarily phone/pod friendly. Nor does it have the other tools that people have been suggesting to include in this thread.

You could get internet where ever you have phone service (at least with AT&T), but it would still be nice to have it offline.
This is assuming you have a data plan, and an iPhone rather than just an iPod Touch.

I figure every feature will be available offline, with the exception of downloading/updating Pokemon sets from Smogon.com (which would only need to happen once in a while).

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
If downloading/updating Pokemon sets from Smogon were to be included, I suggest a "force download" button. Self explanatory. Also, time intervals for when to update (like every week, every day, etc).

I'm hoping this will come soon. It might take a while but meh, it'll be worth it. I'd be willing to pat for it but I hope it's free for a limited time ^_^

What about Edge? Will it work slower? Or does it need wi-fi to not lag? Because Smogon Shoddy has around 500 people.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The app in its present form is quite useful, but having an app that would allow one to browse smogon analyses and even have a team builder would be excellent. I'd think that it would be more practical on the ipad, but it could still work on the iphone. I still don't like the way apple's placed these bogus restrictions on it, but it's still a great way to create useful programs on a portable device.

You know what will be even better shoddy battle for iPhone doubt it would work but I can't shoddy though cause I don't have a computer everything I do is through a iPhone that is no longer in service and picks up on the neighbors wifi ( main reason I keep away from writting rmt's)

Tbh if you placed the movesets, natures etc (basically the information on the pokemon section of smogon's main page) onto the app that would be perfect.

Any other ideas for it would just be bonus's.

Wow I think this is a fantastic idea, lol.
Not sure when this thread was last brought up, but I actually searched this topic on google to see if there was any possibility of such an app :D, and honestly this app would be incredibly useful.

I think the most important thing is the no wifi necessary thing, and i would totally pay whatever it would be to get it.

If you could make a good app like that, you would be one very awesome dude :)

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
This is definitely a good idea. While I don't have an Apple product, this could be very useful for some that do, e.g. away from home and absolutely need to know what level heatran learns earth power or something like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)