Lugia, Giratina, and Blissey, oh my! (Uber Stall Team)

Stall teams have always been my thing, and the Uber tier presents a challenge to those wanting to create such teams. It is more offensive than the OU tier, meaning that it is harder to create a team able to avoid being 2hko by all the setup and choice pokes flying around in the Uber tier. Nevertheless, nothing is truly impossible... and with this in mind, this is my attempt at an Uber stall team.

Team at a glance
------------------------

Changelog
6/30/10: Version 1.0: Original team was Mix Deoxys-S, Specially defensive Forretress, CM Giratina, Standard Lugia, Wish Pass Blissey, SubSeed Shaymin-S
7/1/10: Version 2.0: Forretress is now the lead. Blissey's moveset altered to Softboiled with stealth rock. Deoxys-S replaced with Wishpass Latias and Skymin replaced with Scarfed Primeape.
7/2/10: Version 2.5: Wishpass Latias is now a CM Latias, otherwise unchanged. Scarfed Primeape has been replaced with Scarfed Jirachi.

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP/10 Atk/252 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Payback/Explosion
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Forretress plays a vital role for my team, namely laying down both spikes and toxic spikes.... but also keeping hazards off my side of the field, which is especially important for Lugia... who cannot counter DDRayquaza if SR is present. I often alternate between Payback and Explosion, which each have their own advantage. Payback is of course used to pick away at Giratina-O that try to block their spin, hopefully killing it.... eventually. Explosion makes Forretress a great DDquaza, SDchomp, and general Outrage poke check by going boom boom when they get locked in. Forretress does very well against Deoxys-S and Mew due to their weak non-suicidal attacks and access to rapid spin.

Giratina @ Leftovers

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 226 HP/252 Def/32 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Omni-wall #1, reporting for duty. The sheer bulkiness of this thing is insane, allowing it to avoid being OHKO'd by quite a few supereffective attacks, such as unboosted outrages and ice beams. After a calm mind is under its belt, it can even setup on non-CM Ogre. It also fairs much better than Giratina-O against Forretress, in fact turning it into setup bait. Honestly, i consider Giratina to be one of the most underestimated pokes in the tier for these reasons. If you arent packing STAB super effective boosted moves, you should just go home when faced with this. The real reason Giratina is used though, aside from the need for a spin blocker, is to give my team a "win condition" other than just chipping away at the opponents health at a slow and steady pace.

Lugia @ Leftovers

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/66 Def/192 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Reflect
- Whirlwind

My second Omniwall, though certainly leaning more towards physically based than Giratina is. After Forretress accomplishes his task of spreading spikes and toxic spikes.... Lugia steps in, Whirlwinding the opponent time and again to rack up entry hazard damage, prevent the opponent from setting up, and cause numerous ragequits in general. Reflect is the standard for Lugia, and as a bonus can be pseudopassed to Giratina to help it setup a couple calm minds and erase its fear of outrages, at least for a short while... or to Latias, who, although it cant take an Outrage, certainly doesnt complain about a greater degree of resistance to Bullet Punch. Really isnt much more to say about Lugia than that.... oh, i guess it counters Rayquaza too, if SR is off the field.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 26 HP/252 Def/232 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
- Aromatherapy
- Stealth Rock

Blissey is my Stealth rocker and all purpose (minus SpecsOgre) special wall. You may notice the lack of Ice Beam on its set, and that is on purpose. I wish for it to be able to combat recoveryless CMers, which it cannot do if it were to use Ice Beam. Aromatherapy is near obligatory on my stall team, due to the excessive use of thunder and the presence of both Lugia and Latias on my team, who very much need the Cleric support.

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew

Ability: Levitate
EVs: 112 HP/192 Spd/206 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunder
- Calm Mind
- Recover

While Giratina is an extremely bulky Calm Minder which slowly becomes a deadly threat, Latias is a frailer, faster Calm Minder that is a major threat right out of the box. Latias is my main method of dealing with Kyogre, especially of the Specs variety... making preservation of Latias crucial until SpecsOgre can either be weakened to sufficiently lower Water Spout damage, or killed. Dragon Pulse is of course good old reliable dragon STAB while Thunder can both be used to spread paralysis and of course to eliminate Kyogre.... which is this set's purpose. Carrying both Recover and Calm Mind allows Latias to also turn any form of Kyogre, aside from Twave Ogre, into setup bait. This is also useful if Latias is able to switch into a Choiced Earthquake, allowing it to setup.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- U-turn
- Trick

Jirachi is the newest addition to the team, and pulls its weight very well. the combination of Iron Head and Ice Punch allow it to kill off most threatening sweepers in the tier, most importantly DD and SD Rayquaza, while the combination of U-turn and Trick becomes a deadly mind game for the opponent. Trick also allows me to avoid a devastating last poke CM/Bulk Up/Curse sweep... so unless i see a Blissey or Lugia running around i typically try to hold onto the Scarf until its absolutely needed.

Thanks for taking the time to rate my first Uber's stall team.... positive criticism is GREATLY appreciated and will make me love you long time. That being said, empty comments such as "lolololol this team sucks" will not be appreciated, especially if it isnt backed up with a reason and a suggestion to fix it.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not a bad team, but I see a few problems. First is SpecsOgre. You do not have one switch-in to it. Everything on your team is 2HKO'd or OHKO'd by full powered Water Spout. I'd suggest just replacing Deoxys-S (It's completely out of place) with Latias and then move Forretress to lead position (If you want, you can replace Spikes with SR).

Latias @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 112 HP/204 SpA/192 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Thunder
-Recover

Latias is able to switch in and out of SpecsOgre quite easily, and if you have entry hazards up, if won't be long before Kyogre runs out of steam with weakened Water Spouts.

I also see problems with Darkrai (Like all Uber Stall teams) and DD Rayquaza. While Darkrai isn't something I can fix with absolutely certainty without destroying your core, I can definitely deal with Ray. Replacing Skymin with Scarf Jirachi will really help you against DD Ray, but can also help with Darkrai:

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Iron Head
-Ice Punch
-U-Turn
-Trick

Hope I helped. Good luck.

Yeah, you have this terrible specs ogre weakness. Your stall team needs latias. Deoxys can't beat scarf darkrai so I recommend putting in spikes. Either way, put spikes on deoxys only and put SR + t spikes on forry to share the load.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You are still quite weak to DD Ray. Primeape just doesn't cut it in my opinion (It doesn't even counter Darkrai that well, if it decides to attack, then Primeape is kind of screwed). I would still suggest that you replace it with Scarf Jirachi or CB Scizor. Yes, it makes you a slightly weaker to Darkrai, but at least your Ray weakness is a whole lot bigger. I also don't see the point of Wish on Latias, since most of your team has good recovery anyway. I'd suggest replacing it with Calm Mind so you can stop CM Ogre as well.

oh, pretty good stall team, but Rayquaza is a huge threat, it can set up on 2-3 members of your team. Remember that battle we had? It was like 3 vs 5 or 6, and then I set up on your Giratina, With Rayquaza and that swept your team. I think Weavile might be good on your team, it adds insurance against SD ray, and also has access STAB punishment, ice punch, pursuit. Gengar could also be a threat, and weavile could remedy that. Lucario is also a threat, because barring explosion forrtress, can do anything, also Giratina, and Blissey can be used as set-up foddelers. Bronzong is somewhat a defensive theat, because when Primeape is gone, you cant do much to it. Kingdra is also a huge threat, assumming raindance is up, it can serously damage your walls. you rely way too much on primeape, you need more offensive moves.

Updated 7/2/10, thanks to shrang for all the protips; Jirachi's addition and Latias moveset alteration has worked out quite well... Latias never really got the chance to pass wish anyways so there wasnt much of a loss of flexibility there... and it added another threat for my opponent to deal with, which was needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)