UK Pokémon Tournament - Manchester, July 2010

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
I got to the third round, eventually lost to the guy who appeared in the finals losing to Akiratron, but it was a really fun day. Second match was the most intense, it started off with my scarfgar losing the speed tie against another scarfgar, his Rhyperior winning a protect coinflip, and annoying stall Abomasnow vs my Metagross. Came down to another Protect coinflip which went in my favour, Metagross holding on in the end by a few HP. Fun match.

Congrats Akiratron mate!!!!! bringing it home like a true champ :) just wish i could have made it today!!

p.s, im expecting a good war story ;)

Pretty awesome tourney even if I couldn't stay until the end...

Gratz to everyone who placed, I got to the top 16 which I'm fine with and got knocked out by Victor.

Also kudos Aeolian on 5th place!

Pretty awesome tourney even if I couldn't stay until the end...

Gratz to everyone who placed, I got to the top 16 which I'm fine with and got knocked out by Victor.

Also kudos Aeolian on 5th place!
W00T BEN :D
also ive got rankings on the war story of top 16 so for a more exact number you should have a look :P

W00T BEN :D
also ive got rankings on the war story of top 16 so for a more exact number you should have a look :P
Nice, I didn't realise there'd be play offs (which it appears there was) so now I'm 16th XD.

Highfive to Skara for avenging me, but I swear mine and Victor's battle was 2-0, not 3-0... strange. Ah well.

Which battles do you have recorded?

Nice, I didn't realise there'd be play offs (which it appears there was) so now I'm 16th XD.

Highfive to Skara for avenging me, but I swear mine and Victor's battle was 2-0, not 3-0... strange. Ah well.

Which battles do you have recorded?
well according to the tournement brackets it was 3-0 lol
and i have skara vs rebecca round 3.
me vs alteredegox round 3
me vs akiratron quarters.
balakai vs skaraflame - semi's
pikachimba vs akiratron - semi's
skara vs pikachimba - 3rd/4th playoffs
and balakai vs akiratron - finals.

the last 3 curtisy of kinneas whenever he gets chance to send them.

Just wanted to give a big thank you to everyone who attended/took part yesterday, and an even bigger congratulations to Akiratron for winning in what were some very close matches from the semi-finals onwards.

Even though I spent most of the day running around like a headless chicken giving out Chatot to everyone who competed (yes, that was me XD) it was a great day for me and I hope everyone else who attended enjoyed it as much as I did.

Well thanks for helping gerudo :)
and cheers for the chatot.

if you need a hand with making it next time do ask ^^

awesome event from what I can tell from the videos. If you're hosting another tournament sometime in the future, I'd be glad to attend, too :)

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here's the news article I posted on PokémonWorld so you can get a better idea of how good it was :)

----

Manchester Tournament Recap

Yesterday, PokémonWorld's first officially sponsored tournament took place, also supported by our friends at PokéCharms and GamerBase. It was a long day, with sign ups starting as early as 9:30am, and the final battles happening at around 4pm! Some players were even waiting outside the HMV store (where GamerBase is located) before it opened, eager to compete, while other entrants had travelled from the likes of London and Edinburgh in order to have a shot at winning. All in all, it was a very successful day. We had roughly 50 entrants take part, and with the GamerBase staff realising how much potential there is for Pokémon, and how much of a community the game can gather, they're fully in support of more tournaments taking place in the future. This will get bigger and bigger, so expect more tournaments in this location and possibly in other GamerBase stores around the UK!

Our set-up included four Wii consoles, three 47" televisions, and one HD projector providing a 13ft screen for matches to be viewed on. Retr0range, King of Lucario, Havak, and Gamerbases Natalie were in charge of one console each and recording the result of that they watched. We also had a tournament bracket projected on the wall for competitors and spectators to view, and a PA system with microphone to play music and make announcements. Once it got to roughly 11:30am, we called in the players and were almost ready for the tournament to begin after a quick run-down of rules and tournament process.

There were some shock results as early as Round One, with one of the tournament favourites Noveria (Nick Stones) losing in a hax-filled battle and VGC 2010 2nd place Kinneas (Dale Jacob) losing to some unorthodox tactics. PokémonWorld members that made it through the first round included AeolianFlame, skaraflame, MadMan, Pokawaii, and Pikachimba (as well as a few others if I'm not mistaken). Smogon's Akiratron and Toothache progressed, as well as PokéCharm's Doctor Oak and Balakia. All of the above winner's made it a round further into the top 16, bar PokéCharm's Admin Doctor Oak who admitted to making some foolish decisions which ultimately cost him.

The round of 16 saw Toothache, MadMan, and Pokawaii leave us, giving us our top 8 players, each of whom would receive some kind of prize for making it so far. It had been a gruelling day and making it this far was a real achievement. The winner's from this round included Akiratron, Pikachimba, skaraflame, and Balakai. Due to how the winner's placed, this is how 5th to 8th place looked:

8th - Victor
7th - Elliotstreet
6th - Ammir
5th - AeolianFlame

Each of these competitors received a Pokémon TCG Booster Pack and a Pokéball with a Pokémon figure inside. You can view our semi-finals and finals video's below, and these are the prizes that our winners took away with them:

4th - skaraflame - £10 HMV Voucher & Pokéball
3rd - Pikachimba - £20 HMV Voucher & Pokéball
2nd - Balakai - Runner-Up Certificate, Pokémon HeartGold DS game & Pokéball
1st - Akiratron - Champion Certificate, Pokémon HeartGold DS game, £20 HMV Voucher & Pokéball

You can view GamerBases coverage of the event here which includes Highlights, the Tournament Bracket, and Photos.

Videos

Semi Final 1
Semi Final 2 (part 1) - (part 2)
Final

You can see a video of the prizes being given out to the top four players here. Jonathan Marie (Akiratron) even gave us an impressive victory dance!

Huge credit to GamerBase for the high quality images! As well as allowing us to host this event and the masses of help with the organisation. We really cannot thank them enough, they helped us put on a great show and we'll be forever grateful. However, we'll definitely make sure to help them organise more in the future and bring the Pokémon community even more together!

Feedback

First off, major respect goes out to Havak....who did all the organisation on 3 hours sleep - Boom!

Shouts out to Gamerbase for the hospitality :) and Pokecharms/PokemonWorld for the collaboration.

We only get the VGC once a year so to have more of these events more regularly will benfit the UK community loads, so everyone please come support the next one!

For me the whole set up was awesome, actually prefer it more than VGC as you play PBR on large screens with a seat (chilling and that) and the staff actually are gamers so makes the world of difference.

Major respect to everyone who travelled, and the people who came to support there friends/family.

Overall excellent day - Food court -Karaoke ........''What's this the Colosseum arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh''

So true akira.
I got on PW today and like half the members on there are trying to organise events in birmingham and london lol.

i think people should just hunt around the midlands since its relatively okay access for everyone.

So true akira.
I got on PW today and like half the members on there are trying to organise events in birmingham and london lol.

i think people should just hunt around the midlands since its relatively okay access for everyone.
Keep me informed of the progress of these events :)

Alright lol i shall indeed.
its a shame its hard to find locations which would be ideal and have the space for these events.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)