UK Pokémon Tournament - Manchester, July 2010

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Team Information Sheet

This is a link to the Team Information Sheet you'll need to fill out in order to compete.

If you could download this, print it off, and fill in your team before the event and bring it with you, it would definitely speed things up and allow me to take it easy on my poor printer :) thank you.

Don't fill in the Player Number, this will be given to you upon registration.

Sounds cool. I may turn up, if I can be asked to put a team together (The main reason I didnt go to VGC this year). But I will probably have time. After all its only an hours train journey away.

Team Information Sheet

This is a link to the Team Information Sheet you'll need to fill out in order to compete.

If you could download this, print it off, and fill in your team before the event and bring it with you, it would definitely speed things up and allow me to take it easy on my poor printer :) thank you.

Don't fill in the Player Number, this will be given to you upon registration.
Isn't there a better quality version? I'm not planning on competing, but this doesn't look like it will print very well...
I could create a higher-quality version, maybe as a Word document?

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Isn't there a better quality version? I'm not planning on competing, but this doesn't look like it will print very well...
I could create a higher-quality version, maybe as a Word document?
I have a Word Doc. one as well, but I'm not sure how I can put that up for download easily..

To Havak, I'd just like to add that you should keep in mind (or brush up on) differences in game mechanics from HG/SS and D/P/P to Pokémon BR, so there's no confusion or dispute

I have a Word Doc. one as well, but I'm not sure how I can put that up for download easily..
You can post it on a temporary file upload site; I like to use http://filebin.ca (where the files won't stay permanently, but they will stay long enough for others to download), because most of the others have annoying delays before you can download. You give them the file, they give you a link to it.

Also, I might turn up. I'm not sure though; I don't really like travelling, so for me Manchester's quite a way to go.

I understand why they have banned Rotom, Celebi & Jirachi, but it's still ridiculous. They are a massive part of the battling scene & some teams are built entirely around them, & also to counter them.
More alarmingly, is the allowance of using both the Lati@s twins. Taking the prior 3 out, but then allowing these 2, almost creates an entirely new metagame. Latios particularly, with its speed & that SpA stat, in OU, will be insane!
I Don't feel the inclusion of Garchomp will be such a big deal, because there are still plenty of pokemon that can counter/check/revengeKO it. & needless to say the exclusion Phione will have any impact at all.
The inclusion of Wobbuffet as an acceptable pokemon is Totally Ridiculous!!

However i will still see if can be available to go as i have never been to an actual, proper, physical, real-life, pokemon competition, so i would love to participate & see how the rest of the UK population fair up against the American & Japanese players i'm used to battling the majority of the time online.

I understand why they have banned Rotom, Celebi & Jirachi, but it's still ridiculous. They are a massive part of the battling scene & some teams are built entirely around them, & also to counter them.
More alarmingly, is the allowance of using both the Lati@s twins. Taking the prior 3 out, but then allowing these 2, almost creates an entirely new metagame. Latios particularly, with its speed & that SpA stat, in OU, will be insane!
I Don't feel the inclusion of Garchomp will be such a big deal, because there are still plenty of pokemon that can counter/check/revengeKO it. & needless to say the exclusion Phione will have any impact at all.
The inclusion of Wobbuffet as an acceptable pokemon is Totally Ridiculous!!

However i will still see if can be available to go as i have never been to an actual, proper, physical, real-life, pokemon competition, so i would love to participate & see how the rest of the UK population fair up against the American & Japanese players i'm used to battling the majority of the time online.
I think "Battles will be contested under Double Battle Rules" should explain most of those issues you brought up.

Havak

Yeah, it's a double battle tournament. The official Nintendo rules had pretty much the same ban-list in 2009, except Tyranitar was also banned due to level restrictions. People have been playing these VGC rules for around two years now, so the metagame is developed and somewhat stable IMO.

Havak

Someone has contacted me about potentially extending this in the coming years to host more separate tournaments culminating in one big final event (much like the qualifiers for Nationals in America for VGC). Once it's been discussed more I'll give some more information.

I probably won't be going to this one; the major reason is an inability to easily test a VGC'09 rules team, so if I went I'd be playing blind. And it's not nice to go to a single elimination tournament when you'll probably lose in the first round...

Havak

I'm sure if you ask around on Pokémon Online or Wi-Fi, you'll be able to get some matches. A lot of people will probably just go in with standard or untested stuff anyway..

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Hm, I thought I'd missed this but it seems that I might just make it after all. Time to work on a team!

Havak

Awesome, so glad you can make it! Toothache, I'll shoot you a PM as I need to ask you about a potential favour as well.

Havak

Just one week to go! Hope everyone can still make it, it's going to be epic :)

Havak

Just another quick reminder, it's this Saturday! Hope to see plenty of Smogonites there :)

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, i have an uncompetitive team as my friend has all my Choice items on his Diamond (long story). But I will try to turn up and battle with a last minute team...

Good luck everyone tomorrow. I would go, but Manchester is a 5 hours drive. I would love to see more of these tournaments. Whoever organises these should operate nationally, as I would love to attend.

Just got back now, it was a really awesome day, hung out with some cool people (Kinneas + akira) and made top 16, where it was a pretty nasty matchup of myself having to play akira, who I'd been hanging with for the past couple of hours.

Thanks havak for organising it, looking forward to any more.

vashta

"It was pretty cool to watch Tim Duncan from afar"
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
my strength obviously rubbed off on Akiratron when he visited here in sheffield... 9.9

well done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)