Team Avatar

OK, I haven't posted in a while, but recently I came up with a pretty good team. It makes use of the Fire/Water/Grass core that became popular when Salamence was banned, but I find it to be very effective. I won about 60% of my matches, which is good, but leaves plenty of room for improvement. I want to make my team better and work out the flaws, which is why I am writing this RMT.

I know that all these Pokemon are almost the same as a set listed in the Smogon analysis, but it works for me. The purpose of the analysis is to use the sets.

This team is named after characters from Avatar: The Last Airbender because that is my one of my favorite shows. Woot.

TEAM AT A GLANCE

All relatively common OU Pokemon, with the exception of maybe Weavile.

IN DEPTH

"Mai" Weavile (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Taunt
- Counter
- Ice Punch
Description: Anti-lead Weavile is, in my opinion, quite underrated. In July, he was only the 28th most popular lead. However, in a lot of my matches Weavile was able to take out one or sometimes to Pokemon very early. Fake Out allows me to get a bit of free damage on a Pokemon, and, more importantly, it allows me to break the Focus Sash on leads like Aerodactyl and Infernape. Fake Out is also the only priority move on my team, which is useful if Weavile survives to the lategame stages. Taunt allows me to stop leads like Metagross and Roserade from setting up entry hazards. Later in the game, Weavile can also use Taunt to stop Pokemon from stat boosting, potentially stopping a sweep. Counter helps me take out other anti-leads, as well as defeat certain Pokemon if I have Taunted them. Ice Punch is STAB, can be used in combonation with Fake Out to eliminate Aerodactyl, Roserade, Dragonite, or the rare Ninjask, among other things. Focus Sash is a great item on Weavile, as it helps it get an attack in as well as making the Counter strategy possible. Weavile is Jolly to outspeed as many Pokemon as possible. The EVs are good for a semi-suicide lead; do a lot of damage and do it fast.
Ice Punch vs. Night Slash: This was a tough decision but I opted for Ice Punch over Night Slash because of a quick glance over the top 20 leads in July. Of those Pokemon, Night Slash hits three super effectively: Azelf, Starmie, and Uxie. Ice Punch, on the other hand, (no pun intended), hits 7 for double damage, over twice as much as Night Slash.
Possible Changes: I like Weavile, the only changes I can think of would be Night Slash>Ice Punch or Low Kick>Counter. However, I think Weavile does its job.

Green means not a threat
Orange means it can be a threat
Red means it is a large threat and is hard to handle

Azelf

It can be annoying. I usually Fake Out->Taunt->then I hope he uses a fire move and switch to Heatran

Machamp

First I use Fake Out. Extra damage on Machamp never hurts. Then he usually Dynamicpunches and I use Counter. Victory is determined by whether I hit myself in confusion or not.

Aerodactyl

One of the few who can outspeed me. I Fake Out to break the Sash, then Ice Punch. Unfortunately, the Aerodactyl player usually manages to get Rocks up, but my team doesn't mind them that much.

Metagross

I Fake Out, then he usually attacks right away, so I Counter. Most of the time I win, though if he uses SR and I reveal Counter it becomes much harder for me.

Swampert

I use him to set up on. I Fake Out, then Taunt, then switch to Breloom to get a Sub up.

Jirachi

Fake Out. But next turn I fear Trick so usually I switch to Heatran who doesn't mind Choice Scarf and can handle Jirachi easily anyway.

Infernape

Infernape is actually not to hard to handle. Fake Out (Mine is faster), then the mind games start. If I think he'll attack me (with CC) I counter. If I think he'll lay down Rocks, I'll Taunt. If I fear Fire Blast, switch to Heatran.

Roserade

Not a problem. Fake Out, then Taunt, then Ice Punch. However, I think Ice Punch kills after a Fake Out, but I have been staying on the safe side until now.

Heatran

What a bitch. If I play right, I can stop his Rocks from going up, if he doesn't attack me first. I can't Counter or Ice Punch him. All I can do is Fake Out and then switch to my Heatran and hope for a Flash Fire boost.

Ninjask

The biggest problem I have with Ninjask is that he outspeeds me. Fake Out breaks the possible Sash, and then I Taunt. After that I usually switch because X-Scissor will do quite a lot to me. After Ninjask is Taunted, it is ridiculously easy to get a DD or two with Gyarados, who can then possibly sweep.

Hippowdon

Fake Out->Taunt->Ice Punch. Problem is that Sandstorm ruins my Sash.

Tyranitar

A much larger problem than Hippowdon. After breaking my Sash just by existing, Tyranitar then proceeds to try to set up Rocks, or attack me. I have to use Taunt to stop potential Rocks, because I can't Counter without Focus Sash. If I do stop Rocks, I switch to Breloom, or sometimes Rotom.

Starmie

I Fake Out, Taunt to prevent me from getting a Scarf (Sashes are much more fashionable), then switch to Breloom, Jolteon, or Rotom. Sometimes they switch anyway to avoid a possible Night Slash.

Uxie

Fake Out, then Taunt ABSOLUTELY DESTROYS Uxie as it is an entirely suppport Pokemon. I am immune to Psychic and Zen Headbutt, and Thunderbolt won't do much. All I have to fear is the occasional U-Turn.

Dragonite

Fake Out + Ice Punch = Dead Dragonite

Smeargle

Fake Out->Taunt, and most Smeargle don't carry attacks (except U-Turn which even Weavile laughs at from Smeargle) so I usually get a free turn while it switches out.

Bronzong
- Fake Out. Taunt. Gyro Ball hurts a ton, but Bronzong can do too much untaunted. I have to take the risk. If I get lucky and Zong tries to use a support move, it will meet an unexpected end at the hands of counter.

Foretress

Fake Out->Taunt, than switch to Heatran to make Forry pee his pants/shell. Gyro Ball hurts Weavile, though.

Crobat

I have Fake Out but he has a faster Taunt. I don't mind Taunt, though, because of Ice Punch.

Gliscor

Fake Out, Taunt, then Ice Punch.

Weavile is named after Mai because he is a somewhat sinister Pokemon that is a quick fighter. He often defeats a foe before they know what's happening.
---

"Zuko" Heatran (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 42 HP/216 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dragon Pulse
Description: Often overshadowed by the much more common Choice Scarf Heatran, Choice Specs Heatran offers a viable alternative. Heatran is the first member of my Fire/Water/Grass core. Fire Blast is a great move that deals huge amounts of damage with Specs, and can be amplified by Flash Fire. Earth Power is great against other Fire types, particularly other Heatran, as well as Electrics. Hidden Power Grass takes out Water Pokemon that would otherwise trouble Heatran, most importantly Swampert. Dragon Pulse is Heatran's best option for taking out Dragon types like Dragonite. Since SpecsTran takes advantage of Heatran's resistances as opposed to his speed, Investing s portion of Speed EVs in HP is wise. Special Attack is maxed to give the most attacking power, and the remaining EVs go into Speed. A Modest nature is used to boost the Special Attack. I chose SpecsTran over ScarfTran because I am do not have a user of Stealth Rock, extra power is nice.
Hidden Power: Grass vs. Electric: I used Hidden Power Grass for two reasons: 1. Jolteon can use Thunderbolt, a stronger Electric move and 2. Electric Attacks are normally aimed at Water and Flying types. Water types are hit by HP Grass as well, and Flying types are not usually bulky and usually do not like Fire Blasts. Plus, HP Grass can hit Swampert.

Heatran's namesake is Zuko, the Firebender. This is because his Fire attacks are very powerful, as well as the fact that he is invulnerable to Fire attacks.
---

"Pakku" Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 158 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave
Description: Gyarados is the second member of my F/W/G core. This Gyarados is a cross between the standard Bulky DD Gyarados, and the Gyarados found in the "Featured OU RMT" in The Smog 8. I gave up Taunt because Weavile could already use it. Thunder Wave is useful on this team because only two Pokemon on this team are truly fast on this team without being boosted, so Paralysis support is helpful. Other than that, this is a very standard Bulky DD Gyara. Using his good typing to resist an attack, Gyarados can come in and almost always get at least one Dragon Dance. Even that one boost makes him hard to stop, and more boosts just make it harder. Apart from being part of my main core, Gyarados also has excellent synergy with Jolteon. Jolteon absorbs Electric attacks commonly aimed at Gyarados, and Gyarados is immune Jolteon's only weakness, Ground. Gyarados can also switch out to Breloom or Rotom if an Electric attack is imminent, as they also resist the type. Breloom also can take Rock attacks aimed at Gyarados.
Stone Edge vs. Bounce: The main thing that Bounce hurts is Fighting-types. Fighting types don't like Will-o-Wisp from Rotom or Counter from Weavile. These defenses may seem shaky, but if I use Bounce on say, Machamp, who in their right mind would keep Machamp in?

Master Paku and Gyarados are both strong water attackers. They can let loose Water moves with great power.
---

"Huu" Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 14 HP/252 Atk/244 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Focus Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Substitute
Description: Ahh, Breloom. The Pokemon that I usually hate with all my guts, except when I get to use it. I have swept 4-5 Pokemon with Breloom easily many times with Breloom on unprepared teams, using the great SubPunch set. Breloom is the third and final member of my F/W/G core. Spore is obviously what makes any Breloom great, almost always allows me to get a free Substitute. Behind a Substitute, Breloom is RIDICULOUSLY hard to kill, as well as to stop. If Breloom gets just one move off, Spore, he is almost guaranteed at least one or two kills. Toxic Orb combined with Poison Heal is a great and potent combination, allowing me to replenish the HP lost from the Substitute in 2 turns. It also grants me immunity to status, as well as a pseudo-immunity to Sandstorm/Hail, as I lose 6% to whether but regain 13% from Poison Heal. Speaking of which, 14 HP EVs gets me that 13%. Other than that, the EVs simply max Attack and Speed. Breloom, ironically, can also end up as a decent secondary Breloom counter if I win the Speed tie.
Dealing with Flying types: Without Stone Edge, Breloom is left somewhat defenseless against anything with a Flying attack. I think there are 8(?) Pokemon in OU that are Flying types. That is a fair percentage. However, the Flying type is not usually the most defensive of types (bar Skarm), and with two Electric types and one Ice type on my team, Flying types are usually dealt with easily.

Breloom is named for Huu because Huu is the only character that has something to do with plants.
---

"Azula" Jolteon (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/6 SDef
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Charge Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Description: When people see Jolteon, they think "Choice Specs." Choice Specs Jolteon is a powerful threat that often overshadows Life Orb Jolteon. After a Charge Beam or two, Jolteon becomes just as powerful (or more) as SpecsJolt. He also can switch attacks. Charge Beam raises the Special Attack while Thunderbolt is STAB to make better use of it. Shadow Ball hits the Ghosts running around the metagame such as Gengar, as well as the Psychics like Azelf and Uxie. Hidden Power Ice allows me to take out the Dragons, like, uuuuummmm... Dragonite, as well as hit some Grounds for decent damage. The EVs max out the Special Attack and Speed to give Jolteon the best sweeping power. Timid allows it to reach a stunning max Speed of 394 to outspeed most of non-scarfed OU, as well as a few Scarfers. Life Orb makes Jolteon's attack even more powerful and hard to survive. As was already mentioned, Jolteon has fantastic Synergy with Gyarados.
Hidden Power: Ice vs. Grass: I chose Hidden Power Ice for Jolteon because Heatran uses Hidden Power Grass, and Breloom takes care of Swampert and the other Grounds very well. Therefore, my team lacks a powerful Ice move (Weavile has one, but he doesn't always last) more than it lacks a Grass move. However, with Salamence missing, HP Grass is not a bad option.
Possible Changes: Most importantly, Hidden Power Grass over HP Ice seems like a good idea to me. Since Salamence is gone, Dragonite is the only Dragon in OU, making HP Ice much less relevant. It would also allow me to beat Swampert, a good Jolteon counter, one-on-one. However, that would give my team THREE strong Grass attacks, and only one Ice. Also, this might not be even worth mentioning, but I'm considering moving the 6 EVs from SpD to Defense. In theory, the most common Ground move is Earthquake, a physical attack, so an extra Defense point should help take them better? Just a thought. Jolteon shouldn't even be staying in on Earthquake, but if he's my last Pokemon....

Jolteon is named for Azula because both of them launch strong attacks involving lightning.
---

"Iroh" Rotom-w @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/130 Def/40 SDef/88 Spd
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Will-o-wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
Description: Ahh, Rotom. The maniacal appliance. This form, his Washing Machine, was chosen because Fighting types, especially Tyranitar make my team sad. However, Will-o-Wisp ends these threats. This I chose Thunderbolt over Discharge because Gyarados can paralyze stuff whenever he wants and I like Rotom to have a bit more power, but the greater chance of paralysis from Discharge would be nice too. Hydro Pump kills Tyranitar, as well as Fire-types that are hard for Gyarados to handle, namely Infernape. Shadow Ball is my other STAB and lets Rotom easily deal with Psychics. I run a Calm nature with 40 SpD EVs to let Rotom survive a Shadow Ball from Life Orb Gengar about half the time. I'm not sure if it's worth it, but sometimes it's useful if the match comes down to the wire.
Odd EVs: I used the EVs for Gengar, but I'm not sure if that leaves me open to certain attacks on the Physical Spectrum. Please tell me if I did. I checked a few things, but I might have missed something.
Possible Changes: Discharge over Thunderbolt...

Rotom is similar to Iroh because they both can use lightning, as well as they are both capable of taking hits.
---

So, any thoughts or suggestions? This is probably my most successful team I've made, but any suggestions are valued.

Thanks.

First of all, thank God this is based off of the amazing TV series and not that awful film by Shayamalan. Change Heatran to a version with Stealth Rock, maybe a SR+3 Attacks set. Also, maybe change Rotom-W to a ScarfGon to revenge kill, as your team lacks one. Other than that it looks pretty good, but I wouldn't rely on Weavile to much after the lead phase, as he's often too frail to be of much help, especially your Taunt example. Good luck, looks good.

First of all, thank God this is based off of the amazing TV series and not that awful film by Shayamalan. Change Heatran to a version with Stealth Rock, maybe a SR+3 Attacks set. Also, maybe change Rotom-W to a ScarfGon to revenge kill, as your team lacks one. Other than that it looks pretty good, but I wouldn't rely on Weavile to much after the lead phase, as he's often too frail to be of much help, especially your Taunt example. Good luck, looks good.
Do not listen to this, it lacks detail and why you should change said Pokemon.

I think this a very solid team with no glaring weaknesses. The only thing I noticed is no reliable answer to Dragon Drance threats, like Gyarados and especially Tyranitar. Tyranitar uses it's immensly high SpD in Sandstorm and murder most things on this team with EQ, Stone Edge and Crunch. In order to remedy this threat, I recommend changing your current Rotom to a Scarf Rotom. A set with Hydro Pump / Thunderbolt / HP Ice / Trick allows to revenge kill Tyranitar, Gyarados, and Dragonite who are all nasty to this team after a DD. Trick allows you to reliably cripple something like Blossey or Suicune. Otherwise, this team looks really solid

Ice Punch is STAB, can be used in combonation with Fake Out to eliminate Aerodactyl, Roserade, Dragonite, or the rare Ninjask
I love how you say you can take out Jask. What if it protects first turn, a move with a higher priority than Fake Out? With sash, Jask can survive an Ice punch and get up a Swords Dance and a few Speed Boosts. So, just out of interest, how do you counter the odd Baton Pass chain that appears?

I realize you can taunt, but I just think that even with just a Speed Boost, lots of pokemon can setup a good early sweep. Or they just Taunt you first with a faster switchin

I think Jolteon might do better with Substitute/Magnet Rise (?) over HP Ice/Shadow Ball for the added defence. Either way, Jolteon does not survive common Earthquakes, and the added Substitute/Ground immunity when your counter switches in will help a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)