Staying Organized: Keeping track of info.

Things in competitive play get complicated. How do you all keep track of IVs, EVs, redistribution rights, Hidden Power types, etcetera outside the game? I've found it especially frustrating if I have several Pokemon of the same species that are EV trained differently for different roles and I can't remember where I put the EVs for each of them.

I know some people just look this all up with AR codes, but I'm curious what other people do to keep track of all their info. I wrote up this Google Docs spreadsheet which is the public template for what I use. It automatically calculates Hidden Powers and shows which stats get affected for any Nature you type in. It's invaluably useful so if you have a Google account please feel free to make a copy of this sheet to use for yourself.

While I'm pretty fond of my custom system, I'd like to know what you think is the most effective record-keeping system or what works for you.

haunter

Banned deucer.
I'm not sure if this threads fulfills the "competitive aspect" of Pokemon that we require here in Stark, but let's see what kind of discussion can come out of this. By the way, when I used to play WiFi, I used to use an Excel sheet similar to yours to keep track of IVs, EVs and hidden powers.

For me, i usually (in game) just change the box names in the PC, so i'll have one for leads, another for special sweepers, etc. Also, i store my completed teams in rows, in a box labelled 'Teams', so that i know that if i ever lose track, i just have to pick out any 6 pokemon in a row, and there's a good team right there.

I do agree on HP being a problem, and it's hard to keep track of. While i don't use a spreadsheet as such, the nicknames are enough for me to decipher which set and EV's each pokemon run. I do realize it's hard, like when i got 2 Mewtwo, both shiny, one for CM Sweeping, and the other as a Bulky CM user, but i find having a nickname that corresponds to a certain set helps (just make sure it's not obvious to the opponent as well!).

IV's i've never had a problem with, but then again all my competitive pokemon are either perfectly IV'd, or have the optimum IV spread for whichever HP they run.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if there was a better place for this thread or not. :/

And yes, Nicknames are very useful!... unless the spreads are custom and not something you can remember easily or find here on Smogon. I have a walling team made specifically to just barely outpace Timid, max speed IV/EV Kyogre, which necessitated that I have some kind of record-keeping system outside the game so I could remember the weird EV spreads.

I don't really have many pokemon and I don't play ingame much anymore, but back when I used to I went 1700s. Oh yeah, notebook and pencil. I maintained a pokemon book (with stickers and all on the cover, so everyone used to be like "I really hope that's your little brother's") and it had all the EVs and to do lists and stuff.

I don't keep track of ivs cause I have an AR but I usually keep track of evs, natures, and movesets by use of a notebook. I prefer to write down my stuff instead of typing them.

Pen and paper seems to be the preferred method no matter who/where I ask. I totally used to keep a notebook too but it quickly got hard to index things - there was no way of reordering or categorizing anything one I wrote it down.

Anybody with a trade a thread just keep track of your competitive stuff by looking at your thread and keeping it up-to-date? That seems like a good way or keeping it all in one spot.

I have a Pokemon notebook (no bullshit) that has a tabbed section for individual Pokemon information. I should probably use a spreadsheet to make things easier but the book serves as an anchor to my addiction.

Hmm, well I hope you guys don't frown on this, but I use a program called PokeGen to keep track of all my Pokemon information. Basically you upload your save file to a PC and this program will display all your Pokemon in your party and in your boxes. The program was designed to be used as an alternative to Pokesav for those who just wanted to create/edit Pokemon (and not other game information). I've NEVER used it in that capacity though, like I said I only use it to keep track of and organize my Pokemon, which is very easy as the program has a beautiful interface, complete with sprites and everything. The great thing about the program is that, as it was originally intended to be used for the purpose of creating Pokemon, you have access to all sorts of useful information in addition to standard stuff like IVs & EVs, such as your Pokemon's happiness level and PID. The latter is particularly useful in trying to determine whether or not a Pokemon is legitimate. Additionally, this program makes it easy to move Pokemon around from box to box, clone your Pokemon, and even transfer Pokemon from one save file to another in a matter of seconds!

^ Niice. *googles* hm...link please?

I use a box system with those little symbols you can put on Pokemon in-game with each box being a respective tier, but that's just because I only EV things for other people ATM.

Things in competitive play get complicated. How do you all keep track of IVs, EVs, redistribution rights, Hidden Power types, etcetera outside the game? I've found it especially frustrating if I have several Pokemon of the same species that are EV trained differently for different roles and I can't remember where I put the EVs for each of them.

I know some people just look this all up with AR codes, but I'm curious what other people do to keep track of all their info. I wrote up this Google Docs spreadsheet which is the public template for what I use. It automatically calculates Hidden Powers and shows which stats get affected for any Nature you type in. It's invaluably useful so if you have a Google account please feel free to make a copy of this sheet to use for yourself.

While I'm pretty fond of my custom system, I'd like to know what you think is the most effective record-keeping system or what works for you.
All my EVed Pokemon are trained by myself so I write down the EV's, IV's, Movesets etc down on paper and on computer documents. This way I have all the information I ever needed.

When I played over WiFi, every week or so I'd rip my savefile to my R4, write down everything.

Was a pain, as I rarely use standard sets, opting to go for whatever I find interesting. Swords Dance Venusaur? Was using it waaaaaaaaaaaaay before it became standard. Though I had a joke one with Outrage I liked to pull out a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)