Monferno (UU Analysis)

most of this was written with gendered pronouns so that's what I'm using, whatever. please do grammar checks with explicit changes (show all the original text that you delete in red).

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/monferno

Monferno has no true "offensive" sets approved (and I am doubtful about the NP set's prospects). It seems a bit silly to talk about counters to offensive Monferno and to talk about Grass Knot and Close Combat and potential Hidden Power Rock if there is no set with those attacks. but at the same time, that seems like the most logical way to do this, since otherwise the last three sections will just repeat the set comments for the Lead set and that's just silly. so I wrote OC/TO/Counters as if Monferno had real sets, in case someone wants to use NP or SD or whatever.

---

[Overview]

<p>At first glance, Monferno may appear to be outclassed by Blaziken due to his lower defenses and attacking stats. However, this NFE Pokemon has a few tricks up his sleeve that give him a niche in UU battles, such as access to Stealth Rock, Nasty Plot, and a unique base Speed of 81. The most important note to keep in mind is never to
play Monferno like Blaziken—otherwise, you will just end up with an inferior Pokemon. However, if you make the most of Monferno's unique traits, he can be an effective sweeper or supporter.</p>

[SET]
name: Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Endeavor
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Taunt / Vacuum Wave
nature: Hasty
item: Focus Sash
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is designed to set up an early Stealth Rock while putting heavy
offensive pressure on the opponent's lead as well. While suicide leads are generally less effective in UU than in OU due to the slower nature of the metagame, Monferno sets himself apart from traditional suicide leads through his access to Endeavor. Endeavor sets the opponent's HP equal to Monferno's, so he can use it to bring bulky Pokemon like Uxie and Milotic down to 1 HP before he is KOed. Fire Blast is a standard STAB attack that lets Monferno deal damage before his Focus Sash is broken, or even finish off Endeavored Pokemon who decide to use a support move instead of an attacking one. Finally, Taunt is the primary option in the last slot since it can prevent leads like Omastar from setting up any hazards. However, Vacuum Wave lets Monferno KO faster Focus Sash leads after they are hit by Endeavor.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Monferno is not designed to survive past the first few turns of a battle, so not much traditional team support is needed. However, carrying a Pokemon who can easily switch into Ambipom is a good idea since
lead Ambipom handily beats Monferno. Also, this lead fits best on offensive teams, since they can make the most of the early pressure made possible by Monferno's sacrifice.</p>

<p>Other than Ambipom, dangerous leads include Snover and Hippopotas. Since they automatically induce damaging weather, Monferno won
't be able to successfully Endeavor against them. Snover is problematic than Hippopotas since he is 4x weak to Fire Blast and usually doesn't carry an attack effective against Monferno, but his hail will still prevent Monferno from using his Focus Sash against one of Snover's teammates. If using Shoddy Battle, Monferno's Focus Sash will not save him against multi-hit moves due to a glitch in how Focus Sash interacts with them. This means Cloyster, Rhyperior, and Armaldo with Rock Blast (the common multi-hit attack used competitively) may OHKO Monferno through his Focus Sash when they should not be able to. Finally, the most reliable method of dealing with Endeavor leads is to switch to a Ghost-type who can outspeed and KO Monferno before he can use another move. If you suspect your opponent might be planning to switch to a Pokemon like Spiritomb (with Shadow Sneak or Sucker Punch) or Rotom (who is naturally faster than Monferno), you can select Fire Blast instead of Endeavor, which stings quite a bit when Blaze is activated (it OHKOes offensive Rotom, for example).</p>

<p>To have the best chance of activating Monferno
's Focus Sash, 0 IVs are used in HP, Defense, and Special Defense. Only 504 EVs are used since placing the remaining 4 EVs in one of Monferno's defenses or HP would be counterproductive, while giving them to Attack would be pointless. A Hasty nature is preferred over a Naïve nature since many of Monferno's resistances are commonly physical attacks, so lowering its Defense means a wider range of attacks will deal fatal damage.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Good teammates for the Lead set are not really teammates in the traditional sense, as they should be Pokemon who derive utility from Monferno's sacrifice rather than ones who can back up Monferno. However, if you choose to run a sweeper Monferno, there are some good partners to keep in mind.</p>

<p>Defensive Fire- and Water-type Pokemon are usually the largest threats to a Monferno sweep, depending on your specific set. Using lures such as Passho Berry Houndoom, Passho Berry/Occa Berry Explosion Steelix, or Curse + Explosion Registeel can eliminate these problem Pokemon. The best way to combat Fire- and Water-
type Pokemon is a Fire/Water/Grass core of your own. Venusaur, Sceptile, and Leafeon are good offensive Grass-type Pokemon to use against bulky Waters. To an extent, Leafeon can lure defensive Fire-type Pokemon and take them out with a Swords Dance-boosted Double-Edge. An Azumarill or Kabutops of your own can be very helpful to combat opposing Fire-types as well.</p>

<p>As a sweeper, Monferno naturally loves Stealth Rock to help him get
KOs against defensive Pokemon. If you also use a spinblocker, Stealth Rock can be an important component of your contingency plan against opposing Fire-types. Spikes support is also great for weakening opposing walls, but Toxic Spikes won't do anything particularly effective for Monferno—if the opposing Pokemon is out on the field long enough to feel the effects of Toxic Spikes, chances are he has already KOed the frail Monferno.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Since Monferno's bulk is essentially nonexistent, its sets should place all EVs in Attack, Special Attack, or Speed. Max Speed is usually the best choice to outpace the abundant base 80s, such as Blaziken, Venusaur, and Kabutops. If going mixed, a Special Defense-decreasing nature rather than a Defense-decreasing nature is usually a better idea, since the majority of priority attacks are physical.</p>

<p>Monferno has access to both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, but both of those sets are hard to pull off due to Monferno's frailty and relatively low power when compared to similar UU sweepers. Blaziken is usually a more effective user of Swords Dance due to its much higher Attack stat, but Blaziken doesn't have access to Nasty Plot. Nasty Plot Monferno is a rather nasty stall killer, as a +2 Life Orb Grass Knot has a good chance to OHKO Milotic after Stealth Rock damage, and many other common stall Pokemon will fall to either Fire Blast or Close Combat. However, Monferno faces stiff competition from fellow Nasty Plotting Fire-types Houndoom and Ninetales.</p>

<p>Much like its big brother, Infernape, Monferno can try to run a mixed set that takes advantage of Close Combat to OHKO Chansey. Unlike Infernape, Monferno is often too weak to KO even Pokemon who are weak to its attacks. Monferno has access to both Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch, but it is usually hard to fit these attacks on a sweeping set.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Defensive Arcanine is usually the best Monferno counter; he has Intimidate to buffer Close Combat, a resistance to both Fire Blast and Grass Knot, and Morning Sun to abuse Life Orb recoil against mixed Monferno. Monferno is so frail that ExtremeSpeed or Flare Blitz will usually KO him after one round of Life Orb recoil and Stealth Rock. As long as Moltres can avoid switching into Hidden Power Rock, it can outpace Monferno and OHKO with a STAB Air Slash.</p>

<p>Milotic is a good counter for most physical and mixed Monferno. She should beware of Nasty Plot versions, though, as they deal 84.5% - 99.7% with boosted Grass Knot. Slowking is a more reliable counter than Milotic due to his higher special bulk and Fighting-type resistance. Slowbro is also a good counter to Monferno, somewhat ironically—
while special Blaziken has no problems smashing through Slowbro but cannot break Milotic, special Monferno usually has no problems with Milotic but cannot beat full health Slowbro. This is because Blaziken must resort to the 70 Base Power Hidden Power against Milotic, while Monferno is able to use the 100 Base Power Grass Knot. Against Slowbro, however, Grass Knot only has 80 Base Power, so Monferno's lower Special Attack comes back to bite him.</p>

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Hurrah! Another NFE Pokemon that has potential in UU play. There are two NFE Pokes I've done testing for in UU play: Machoke (which hopefully my own analysis will be approved soon) and Monferno. Monferno is really powerful (concerning the Nasty Plot set), and its coverage is great. However, there is something that needs to be addressed that I kind of found out when I was testing Monferno: Houndoom, as a Special Sweeper (NP to be exact) really outclasses Monferno.

• Houndoom has better SpA and Speed with a +Speed nature (319 SpA and 317 Speed compared to 255 SpA and 287 Speed). In fact, the only thing stat-wise Monferno is better at is Defense, which is not important. Houndoom also has a useful ability. Blaze is okay, but Flash Fire is nice.
  • While it's true that a +2 Grass Knot will do more damage than anything Houndoom can throw at Defensive Milotic, Offensive Milotic does speed tie with Monferno, which is kind of bad.
  • Some things that outspeed Monferno that Houndoom outspeeds/speed ties: Arcanine (pretty big), Drapion, Hitmonlee, Leafeon (not important), Milotic (Offensive), Moltres (big), Nidoking, Qwilfish (not important), Rotom, Toxicroak, and Uxie. With the exception of Leafeon and Qwilfish, most of these Pokes hit Monferno pretty hard in one way or another.
  • Monferno still has as much problems with Dugtrio as Houndoom. A +2 Vacuum Wave does not OHKO, believe it or not. In fact, Houndoom's 0 Atk Sucker Punch does more (similar numbers, but more).
Speed kind of kills it, to be honest. Base 81 does outspeed a lot of the walls and slower threats in UU (there are many), but it's just not enough to beat opposing sweepers. At least Houndoom has this kind of Speed stat.

With that said, there are advantages in using Monferno over Houndoom in terms of its movepool and such. Some big factors:

• No Stealth Rock weakness. It's not going to like switching in on most Pokemon anyway, but it's nice for a Fire type to have neutrality to it, and it's certainly a reason to use it over Houndoom if your team lacks a Spinner.
  • STAB Vacuum Wave is a great move to have against Rain Dance Kabutops and Omastar (116.1% - 137.6% against Kabutops and 84.3% - 100% on Utility Omastar, let alone Swift Swim) compared to Houndoom's Sucker Punch.
  • Grass Knot is good. It's not great compared to STAB Dark Pulse (it's used for Milotic, Blastoise, and the Ground types ,but Dark Pulse hits for OHKO's on all the Ground types and most other Bulky Waters. The only OHKO's you'll be getting are against Milotic, Blastoise, and Regirock outside of Sandstorm.), but it's still nifty.
  • Neutrality to Mach Punch is nice, as is a resistance to Bug and Dark (Sucker Punch). These are pretty important things to have in UU defensively, although IMO, Houndoom has better Offensive typing.
  • It does do a better job at NP than Mismagius in terms of Spiritomb and Registeel, this is true. So does Houndoom, but still.
If we should consider adding NPFerno, we really, really need to have a good reason to use it in place of Houndoom, who overall is just a better Pokemon. There are reasons here, but right now, they just seem few and far between, outside of "team synergy" and "lack of SR weakness". Monferno's movepool difference is not dynamic, either: Houndoom does a better job with Fire + Dark, except against Milotic and Blastoise, in which it still dents both pretty hard. I'm all for trying to get Monferno used in UU, but we really need to give good reason to use the NP set, like Machoke's DynamicPunch and No Guard over Hariyama and Hitmontop.

That lead set looks really nice on paper, and I'm sure that it does well off paper too. I'm going to be testing it to help out soon! :)

We can also consider adding a SDFerno set, although since Monferno lacks Stone Edge like its big brother has, it seems like a carbon copy of Blaziken (SD/CC/FPunch/TPunch). Monferno is faster, but Blaziken nearly has 100 more Attack than Monferno. We should discuss some physical options as well.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/monferno

Why should Monferno get an analysis?
- these two sets make use of two moves that Blaziken doesn't get, Stealth Rock and Nasty Plot
- Monferno is shitty as a Blaziken clone but by taking advantage of its unique moves it's pretty good!

[SET]
move 4: Vacuum Wave / Close Combat / Encore / Taunt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Why this specific set should get an analysis:
- sets up SR reliably and unlike other suicide SR leads in UU (which are for the most part not very good) it can pretty reliably beat bulky leads; Endeavor is really disruptive early-game against lots of team types
- no other Pokemon in UU gets the SR + Endeavor combination except for Piloswine who (a) is slower and bulkier and has much different typing (b) doesn't have an analysis itself

Leads to watch out for:
- Ambipom
- sashed Hippopotas / Snover
- glitched Rock Blast
- switching to Ghost on the Endeavor and getting outsped or Shadow Sneaked / Sucker Punched

there's a bit of slashitis in the last slot but they all work in different situations... Vacuum Wave helps it against Kabutops and Electrode plus random faster Pokemon, Close Combat is good for bulky stuff if you're at higher HP and Omastar, Encore gives it a free turn for more Endeavor, Taunt stops slower leads from setting SR. comments here would be nice.
I think you need to work out what actually belongs in the last slot. From my experience (not in the current metagame though). Vacuum Wave makes sense while Close Combat doesn't. Encore is pretty pointless, you're likely going to be Encoring Spikes anyway which is a horrible situation. Logically,

I'd leave it as Taunt / Vacuum Wave. Taunt stops Omastar and other leads like that quite well. You can Taunt their Stealth Rock, set up your own, then Endeavor them as they KO you. Your opponent now has a 1+6.25% HP Omastar without Stealth Rock or Spikes up. Vacuum Wave is also useful for obvious reasons.

I will approve this once it's sorted out.

Whistle said:
[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Grass Knot
move 4: Vacuum Wave / Close Combat / Hidden Power Rock
nature: Timid / Naive
item: Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Why this specific set should get an analysis:
- decent SpA and cool 81 base Speed + two-stage boosting move. GK has a good chance to OHKO 248/0 Milotic after SR (84.5% - 99.7%), good STABs
- few Nasty Plotters in UU; Mismagius can't break through Registeel or Spiritomb, Houndoom can't beat Milotic. Monferno is walled by different things but the point is it's not the same.

like the first set there is a bit of slashitis here. Vacuum Wave for utility against offensive teams + Kabutops especially. Close Combat kills Chansey and Clefable; HP Rock for Moltres and Arcanine (you're still faster than +ve base 80s by two points with the IV drop). kinda tempting to put Focus Blast here but there's not much it hits.

Counters and teammates:
- countered by Slowking and ironically Slowbro, SpD Milotic, Arcanine and Moltres without HP Rock (and offensive / Timid / Jolly versions of them even if it does have it unless it uses it on the switch), checked by faster Pokemon especially without Vacuum Wave [which is why it's the primary option]
- lures Milotic so something like Feraligatr or Azumarill can exploit the hole; Azumarill is also a good offensive switch into Arcanine and Moltres. Venusaur can set up on bulky Waters but watch out for Thunder Wave; possibly use a defensive core + maybe even U-turn because Monferno is frail and you can't switch it into things
Lose the last slashes next to Vacuum Wave and Close Combat; those are the only reasons to use this set over Ninetales or Houndoom (SR weakness means shit all when you have a defense stat of 3). Otherwise Ninetales with NP / Fire Blast / Energy Ball / HP Rock outclasses.

Mention modest maybe? Does it gurantee a KO on Milotic?

Oh wait the first and second sets are both the same Pokemon so they are too similar so nvm derp derp.

ok drkslay you kind of answered your own question there about houndoom ?_?. if more people really hate the nasty plot set though i don't feel too strongly about removing it. it's not "awesome" like the lead set but it does have distinct advantages over houndoom (mentioned in the OP).

i tested sd monferno a little but was let down by its lack of power (it doesn't have a grass knot "equivalent" that lets it mess with milotic for one) and i don't know why you'd use it over blaziken. it does get mach punch but the rest of the set is just pretty bleh.

heysup thanks for the comments on the slashitis. i originally just had one slash (two moves) in each of those slots but i put in the rest to see if anyone else had opinions on what would be the best options.

vacuum wave was useful sometimes but there aren't that many suicide leads in uu which just makes it a very weak stab attack that you don't use too often. most things you want to endeavor are slower anyways. close combat and taunt are pretty similar in their effectiveness against slower leads / switchins but i think taunt has more overall utility. encore is more for sr than spikes (leadape or old machamp lead in ou style - encore rocks then do your stuff) but again taunt is probably better. long story short taunt > encore and taunt > close combat and vacuum wave is not "great" but serves a separate purpose, so i'll slash taunt / vacuum wave (like you said lol).

dur on ninetales issue. hp rock removed. modest does always ohko milotic but ehhhhhhhhhhh venusaur (| Venusaur | Speed EV | Max | 46.8 |) i'll mention it in set comments though.

I used Monferno a bit back in the day but I paired it with an Agility passer, which it desperately needs. Scythers decent as it attracts Registeel. This way you can run Modest and get the OHKO on Milotic which Houndoom and Ninetails can never pull off.

But if you're gonna be passing you might as well just pass a NP to Moltres....Monferno isn't really that effective and is prone to revenge killing much more than other sweepers.

I'm definitely cool with the lead set, I've seen it used well and it's unique enough that it's worth having on-site, especially since it'd be the only set for Monferno.
So
for it

I'm a little less convinced that the NP set is really "good enough" to include. I'll try it out when I get the chance, I guess. I agree that it is unique from other plotters in the game that it could be worth including, but eyeballing it I'm skeptical if it is good enough to find a spot on a reasonable team or if it is just a cool gimmick.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've used the NP set and while I haven't swept too many teams with it, it is definitely effective. Close Combat should be the primary choice, IMO, since being able to OHKO Chansey after SR is probably one of the most appealing things about Monferno (Hell, he can easily break through the MiloSteel + Chansey stall core should he get a boost). It's almost as evil on stall as big brother Infernape.

On my own experiences, I have recorded a few logs should anyone want to see Monferno's effectiveness.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
timetwister7 sent out Froslass (lvl 100 Froslass ?).
TransV1000 sent out Donphan (lvl 100 Donphan ?).
Froslass used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Donphan lost 100% of its health.
TransV1000's Donphan fainted.
---
TransV1000 switched in Spiritomb (lvl 100 Spiritomb ?).
Spiritomb is exerting its pressure!
timetwister7 switched in Registeel (lvl 100 Registeel).
Spiritomb used Shadow Sneak.
It's not very effective...
Registeel lost 10% of its health.
Registeel's leftovers restored its health a little!
Registeel restored 6% of its health.
---
TransV1000 switched in Leafeon (lvl 100 Leafeon ?).
Registeel used Curse.
Registeel's speed was lowered.
Registeel's attack was raised.
Registeel's defence was raised.
Registeel's leftovers restored its health a little!
Registeel restored 4% of its health.
---
Leafeon used Yawn.
Registeel became drowsy!
Registeel used Curse.
---
TransV1000 switched in Monferno (lvl 100 Monferno ?).
Registeel used Curse.
Registeel fell asleep!
---
Monferno used Nasty Plot.
Monferno's special attack was sharply raised.
Registeel is fast asleep!
---
Monferno used Fire Blast.
It's super effective!
Registeel lost 100% of its health.
timetwister7's Registeel fainted.
Monferno lost 10% of its health.
---
timetwister7 switched in Chansey (lvl 100 Chansey ?).
Monferno used Close Combat.
It's super effective!
Chansey lost 100% of its health.
timetwister7's Chansey fainted.
Monferno's defence was lowered.
Monferno's special defence was lowered.
---
timetwister7 switched in Claydol (lvl 100 Claydol).
Claydol lost 98% of its health.
Claydol used Earth Power.
It's super effective!
Monferno lost 71% of its health.
TransV1000's Monferno fainted.
Claydol's leftovers restored its health a little!
Claydol restored 6% of its health.
---
It's super effective!
Claydol lost 8% of its health.
timetwister7's Claydol fainted.
---
timetwister7 switched in Poliwrath (lvl 100 Poliwrath ?).
TransV1000 switched in Poliwrath (lvl 100 Poliwrath ?).
Poliwrath used Encore.
But it failed!
---
Poliwrath is tightening its focus!
Poliwrath used Focus Punch.
Leafeon lost 48% of its health.
Leafeon's leftovers restored its health a little!
Leafeon restored 6% of its health.
---
Leafeon used Leaf Blade.
It's super effective!
Poliwrath lost 66% of its health.
Poliwrath used Substitute.
Poliwrath lost 25% of its health.
Poliwrath made a substitute!
Poliwrath's leftovers restored its health a little!
Poliwrath restored 6% of its health.
---
Poliwrath is tightening its focus!
Leafeon used Leaf Blade.
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Poliwrath!
Poliwrath's substitute faded!
Poliwrath used Focus Punch.
Leafeon lost 44% of its health.
---
timetwister7 switched in Moltres (lvl 100 Moltres).
Moltres is exerting its pressure!
Leafeon used Leaf Blade.
Moltres lost 6% of its health.
Moltres's leftovers restored its health a little!
Moltres restored 6% of its health.
---
Leafeon used Yawn.
Moltres became drowsy!
Moltres used Substitute.
Moltres lost 25% of its health.
Moltres made a substitute!
---
Leafeon used Protect.
Leafeon protected itself!
Moltres used Flamethrower.
Moltres fell asleep!
---
timetwister7 switched in Froslass (lvl 100 Froslass ?).
Leafeon used Wish.
Leafeon made a wish!
---
Froslass used Trick.
Froslass obtained Leftovers!
Leafeon obtained Choice Scarf!
Leafeon used Leaf Blade.
Froslass lost 57% of its health.
The wish came true!
Leafeon restored 50% of its health.
Froslass's leftovers restored its health a little!
Froslass restored 6% of its health.
---
Leafeon used Leaf Blade.
Moltres lost 7% of its health.
---
Moltres is fast asleep!
---
Moltres woke up!
Moltres used Substitute.
Moltres made a substitute!
Spiritomb used Trick.
But it failed!
---
Moltres used Toxic.
Poliwrath was badly poisoned!
Poliwrath is hurt by poison!
Poliwrath lost 6% of its health.
---
Moltres used Flamethrower.
Poliwrath lost 18% of its health.
Poliwrath used Waterfall.
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Moltres!
Moltres's substitute faded!
Poliwrath lost 12% of its health.
---
Poliwrath's Water Absorb absorbed damage!
Poliwrath restored 25% of its health.
Poliwrath lost 19% of its health.
---
TransV1000 switched in Scyther (lvl 100 Scyther ?).
Poliwrath used Substitute.
Poliwrath lost 25% of its health.
Poliwrath made a substitute!
---
Scyther used Aerial Ace.
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Poliwrath!
Poliwrath's substitute faded!
Poliwrath used Encore.
Scyther got an encore!
---
Scyther used Aerial Ace.
A critical hit!
Moltres lost 41% of its health.
Scyther lost 10% of its health.
---
Scyther used Aerial Ace.
Moltres lost 45% of its health.
Moltres used Roost.
Moltres restored 50% of its health.
---
Scyther used Aerial Ace.
Moltres lost 44% of its health.
Moltres used Substitute.
But it failed!
---
Scyther used Aerial Ace.
timetwister7's Moltres fainted.
---
timetwister7 switched in Froslass (lvl 100 Froslass ?).
Froslass used Ice Beam.
Spiritomb lost 39% of its health.
Froslass's leftovers restored its health a little!
Froslass restored 6% of its health.
---
Froslass used Destiny Bond.
Froslass is trying to take its foe with it!
Spiritomb used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
Froslass lost 56% of its health.
timetwister7's Froslass fainted.
Froslass took Spiritomb with it!
TransV1000's Spiritomb fainted.
---
Scyther used Aerial Ace.
It's super effective!
Poliwrath lost 40% of its health.
timetwister7's Poliwrath fainted.
TransV1000 wins!
timetwister7 has left the room.
TransV1000: gg

It was bad play from the opponent, letting get to +2 in the first place, but had I just checked that Grass Knot does more to Claydol than Fire Blast, I probably would have OHKO'd the thing and extending the sweep.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
coolkid2210 sent out Steelix (lvl 100 Steelix ?).
TransV1000 sent out Claydol (lvl 100 Claydol).
Claydol used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Steelix used Stealth Rock.
---
coolkid2210 switched in Spiritomb (lvl 100 Spiritomb ?).
Pointed stones dug into Spiritomb.
Spiritomb lost 12% of its health.
Claydol used Rapid Spin.
It doesn't affect Spiritomb...
Spiritomb's leftovers restored its health a little!
Spiritomb restored 6% of its health.
---
Claydol used Reflect.
A barrier was formed!
Spiritomb used Dark Pulse.
It's super effective!
Claydol lost 39% of its health.
---
Claydol used Light Screen.
A barrier was formed!
Spiritomb used Will-o-wisp.
Claydol was burned!
Claydol was hurt by its burn!
Claydol lost 12% of its health.
---
Pointed stones dug into Monferno.
Monferno lost 12% of its health.
Spiritomb used Dark Pulse.
Monferno lost 14% of its health.
---
Spiritomb used Curse.
Spiritomb lost 50% of its health.
Spiritomb cut its health and laid a curse on Monferno!
Monferno is afflicted by the curse!
Monferno lost 25% of its health.
---
Spiritomb used Rest.
Spiritomb fell asleep!
Spiritomb restored 44% of its health.
---
coolkid2210 switched in Steelix (lvl 100 Steelix ?).
Pointed stones dug into Steelix.
Steelix lost 3% of its health.
Spiritomb used Trick.
Spiritomb obtained Iron Ball!
Steelix obtained Choice Band!
---
Pointed stones dug into Leafeon.
Leafeon lost 12% of its health.
Steelix used Gyro Ball.
Leafeon lost 28% of its health.
---
coolkid2210 switched in Noctowl (lvl 100 Noctowl ?).
Pointed stones dug into Noctowl.
Noctowl lost 25% of its health.
Leafeon used Wish.
Leafeon made a wish!
Leafeon's reflect wore off!
Noctowl's leftovers restored its health a little!
Noctowl restored 6% of its health.
---
Noctowl used Whirlwind.
Pointed stones dug into Scyther.
Scyther lost 50% of its health.
Scyther's light screen wore off!
The wish came true!
Scyther restored 50% of its health.
---
Scyther used Aerial Ace.
Noctowl lost 83% of its health.
Noctowl used Whirlwind.
---
Noctowl used Roost.
Noctowl restored 50% of its health.
Spiritomb used Pursuit.
Noctowl lost 28% of its health.
---
Noctowl used Roost.
Spiritomb used Trick.
Spiritomb obtained Leftovers!
Noctowl obtained Iron Ball!
---
Noctowl used Whirlwind.
---
Noctowl used Night Shade.
Leafeon lost 30% of its health.
---
Leafeon used Protect.
---
Pointed stones dug into Poliwrath.
Poliwrath lost 26% of its health.
---
Poliwrath used Bulk Up.
Poliwrath's attack was raised.
Poliwrath's defence was raised.
Noctowl used Whirlwind.
TransV1000 switched in Claydol (lvl 100 Claydol).
Pointed stones dug into Claydol.
Claydol lost 6% of its health.
Claydol was hurt by its burn!
Claydol lost 12% of its health.
---
Claydol used Rapid Spin.
Claydol blew away the pointed stones!
Noctowl lost 2% of its health.
Claydol lost 31% of its health.
TransV1000's Claydol fainted.
---
Leafeon used Protect.
---
Leafeon used Leaf Blade.
A critical hit!
Noctowl lost 52% of its health.
---
TransV1000: shit wrong move
Leafeon used Wish.
Leafeon made a wish!
Noctowl used Roost.
---
Leafeon used Protect.
The wish came true!
---
Steelix used Stealth Rock.
---
coolkid2210 switched in Omastar (lvl 100 Omastar ?).
Pointed stones dug into Omastar.
Omastar lost 12% of its health.
Omastar's leftovers restored its health a little!
Omastar restored 6% of its health.
---
Leafeon used Wish.
Leafeon made a wish!
---
Leafeon used Protect.
Steelix used Explosion.
coolkid2210's Steelix fainted.
The wish came true!
Leafeon restored 27% of its health.
---
coolkid2210 switched in Primeape (lvl 100 Primeape ?).
Pointed stones dug into Primeape.
Primeape lost 6% of its health.
Primeape used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Leafeon lost 28% of its health.
coolkid2210 switched in Spiritomb (lvl 100 Spiritomb ?).
Leafeon used Wish.
Leafeon made a wish!
---
Spiritomb is fast asleep!
The wish came true!
Monferno restored 50% of its health.
---
Spiritomb is fast asleep!
---
Spiritomb lost 96% of its health.
Spiritomb woke up!
Spiritomb used Curse.
Spiritomb lost 4% of its health.
coolkid2210's Spiritomb fainted.
Spiritomb cut its health and laid a curse on Monferno!
Monferno lost 25% of its health.
---
coolkid2210 switched in Omastar (lvl 100 Omastar ?).
Pointed stones dug into Omastar.
Omastar lost 12% of its health.
Monferno used Grass Knot.
It's super effective!
Omastar lost 81% of its health.
coolkid2210's Omastar fainted.
Monferno lost 17% of its health.
TransV1000's Monferno fainted.
---
Leafeon used Protect.
Primeape used U-turn.
---
Primeape used U-turn.
It's super effective!
coolkid2210 switched in Noctowl (lvl 100 Noctowl ?).
Pointed stones dug into Noctowl.
Noctowl lost 25% of its health.
Leafeon used Yawn.
Noctowl became drowsy!
---
Leafeon used Wish.
Leafeon made a wish!
Noctowl used Whirlwind.
---
Noctowl lost 52% of its health.
Noctowl used Whirlwind.
The wish came true!
---
Leafeon used Leaf Blade.
Noctowl lost 8% of its health.
coolkid2210's Noctowl fainted.
---
coolkid2210 switched in Torterra (lvl 100 Torterra ?).
Pointed stones dug into Torterra.
Torterra lost 6% of its health.
Leafeon used Yawn.
Torterra became drowsy!
Torterra used Wood Hammer.
Leafeon lost 16% of its health.
Torterra was hit by recoil!
Torterra lost 5% of its health.
Torterra's leftovers restored its health a little!
Torterra restored 6% of its health.
---
Leafeon used Wish.
Leafeon made a wish!
---
Primeape used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Leafeon used Leaf Blade.
A critical hit!
Torterra lost 42% of its health.
The wish came true!
Leafeon restored 38% of its health.
---
Leafeon used Wish.
Leafeon made a wish!
---
Pointed stones dug into Scyther.
Scyther lost 50% of its health.
Primeape used Close Combat.
Scyther lost 20% of its health.
Primeape's defence was lowered.
Primeape's special defence was lowered.
The wish came true!
Scyther restored 50% of its health.
---
Scyther used Swords Dance.
Scyther's attack was sharply raised.
---
Torterra used Protect.
Torterra protected itself!
Scyther used Aerial Ace.
Scyther's attack missed!
---
Scyther used Aerial Ace.
It's super effective!
Torterra lost 59% of its health.
coolkid2210's Torterra fainted.
---
Primeape used Stone Edge.
Poliwrath lost 15% of its health.
---
Poliwrath lost 14% of its health.
Primeape lost 65% of its health.
---
Primeape's attack missed!
A critical hit!
Primeape lost 3% of its health.
coolkid2210's Primeape fainted.
TransV1000 wins!
coolkid2210: gg
coolkid2210 has left the room.

Quite a short hole punching there, taking out Spiritomb and Omastar, but hey, he took out 2 Pokes =D.

Ashton sent out TASSADAR (lvl 100 Feraligatr ?).
TransV1000 sent out Claydol (lvl 100 Claydol).
TASSADAR used Ice Punch.
It's super effective!
Leafeon lost 49% of its health.
TASSADAR lost 10% of its health.
---
Leafeon used Wish.
Leafeon made a wish!
TASSADAR used Ice Punch.
It's super effective!
Leafeon lost 44% of its health.
---
Leafeon used Protect.
TASSADAR used Aqua Jet.
The wish came true!
---
Ashton switched in JAFAR (lvl 100 Blaziken ?).
Leafeon used Wish.
Leafeon made a wish!
---
JAFAR used Fire Blast.
JAFAR's attack missed!
The wish came true!
---
Ashton switched in BROKKER (lvl 100 Toxicroak ?).
---
BROKKER used Nasty Plot.
BROKKER's special attack was sharply raised.
---
matty has entered the room.
Ashton switched in NAVEL (lvl 100 Piloswine ?).
Scyther used Aerial Ace.
NAVEL lost 57% of its health.
---
NAVEL used Ice Shard.
Poliwrath lost 12% of its health.
NAVEL lost 10% of its health.
---
Poliwrath used Brick Break.
BROKKER lost 27% of its health.
---
BROKKER used Sludge Bomb.
Scyther lost 72% of its health.
Scyther was poisoned!
BROKKER lost 10% of its health.
Scyther is hurt by poison!
Scyther lost 12% of its health.
---
BROKKER used Vacuum Wave.
Scyther lost 5% of its health.
TransV1000's Scyther fainted.
BROKKER lost 10% of its health.
---
Ashton switched in TASSADAR (lvl 100 Feraligatr ?).
TASSADAR lost 35% of its health.
---
TASSADAR used Aqua Jet.
Leafeon lost 9% of its health.
---
Leafeon used Yawn.
JAFAR became drowsy!
---
Leafeon used Protect.
---
BROKKER used Nasty Plot.
BROKKER's special attack was sharply raised.
---
A critical hit!
BROKKER lost 54% of its health.
Ashton's BROKKER fainted.
---
TransV1000: sorry
JAFAR used Fire Blast.
Poliwrath lost 45% of its health.
---
Ashton: it happens
Ashton switched in TASSADAR (lvl 100 Feraligatr ?).
TASSADAR lost 18% of its health.
---
TASSADAR used Earthquake.
Poliwrath lost 42% of its health.
TASSADAR lost 7% of its health.
Ashton's TASSADAR fainted.
---
TransV1000 switched in Claydol (lvl 100 Claydol).
JAFAR used Fire Blast.
Claydol lost 68% of its health.
---
JAFAR used Fire Blast.
Claydol lost 32% of its health.
TransV1000's Claydol fainted.
---
Ashton switched in NAVEL (lvl 100 Piloswine ?).
Monferno used Close Combat.
It's super effective!
NAVEL lost 33% of its health.
Ashton's NAVEL fainted.
Monferno's defence was lowered.
Monferno's special defence was lowered.
---
Ashton switched in PINNOCHIO (lvl 100 Hitmonchan ?).
PINNOCHIO used Close Combat.
It doesn't affect Spiritomb...
---
JAFAR lost 41% of its health.
---
JAFAR lost 39% of its health.
JAFAR used Fire Blast.
Spiritomb lost 100% of its health.
TransV1000's Spiritomb fainted.
---
Ashton switched in PINNOCHIO (lvl 100 Hitmonchan ?).
PINNOCHIO lost 76% of its health.
---
PINNOCHIO used Mach Punch.
Leafeon lost 23% of its health.
PINNOCHIO lost 10% of its health.
---
Leafeon used Leaf Blade.
PINNOCHIO lost 14% of its health.
Ashton's PINNOCHIO fainted.
---
Ashton switched in ELECTRA (lvl 100 Zangoose ?).
Leafeon used Yawn.
ELECTRA became drowsy!
ELECTRA used Swords Dance.
ELECTRA's attack was sharply raised.
---
Leafeon used Leaf Blade.
ELECTRA lost 61% of its health.
ELECTRA used Close Combat.
Leafeon lost 74% of its health.
ELECTRA's defence was lowered.
ELECTRA's special defence was lowered.
ELECTRA lost 10% of its health.
ELECTRA fell asleep!
---
Leafeon used Leaf Blade.
JAFAR lost 20% of its health.
Ashton's JAFAR fainted.
---
Ashton switched in ELECTRA (lvl 100 Zangoose ?).
Ashton: gg
matty has left the room.
Ashton has left the room.
TransV1000 wins!

No sweep here, but shows Monferno keeping up the pressure by preying on Blaziken's Speed with its own trolly Speed.

This gets my nod 100%. The lead set was extremely effective, especially since it forces out a lot of common leads.

As for the wall-breaker, I saw it used a few times. While it is indeed effective, it's outclassed by Blaziken, and I wouldn't really use NP Monferno over Blaziken anyway. I guess I'll test it out and see whats up, but from prior experience, Blaziken > Monferno.

finished writing this, so GP checks! (show all original text when you delete/modify please)

wasn't sure how to do the last three sections cause there's no offensive set but I think this is the most logical method

@ Garganator: who said it was effective :p

wasn't sure how to do the last three sections cause there's no offensive set but I think this is the most logical method
With new rule that 'pokemon may be outclassed by other one, as long as it is effective' we shouldn't include Nasty Plot set in analysis after all ? And still this STAB Close Combat access is nice to have.

placeholder reserved for GP check.

EDIT: I'm really sorry, but I just don't have time to check this right now. Ignore this placeholder.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Didn't really find anything questionable here, so not much to change. your only real grammatical mistakes were those weird "&mdash;" things that I presume are a programming error concerned with semicolons.

REMOVE
ADD
COMMENT

[Overview]

<p>At first glance, Monferno may appear to be outclassed by Blaziken due to his lower defenses and attacking stats. However, this NFE has a few tricks up his sleeve that give him a niche in UU battles, such as access to Stealth Rock, Nasty Plot, and a unique base Speed of 81. The most important note to keep in mind is never to shape play Monferno into a like Blaziken—otherwise, you will just end up with an inferior Pokemon. However, if you make the most of Monferno’s unique traits, he can be an effective sweeper or supporter.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is designed to set up an early Stealth Rock while putting heavy offensive pressure on the opponent’s lead as well. While suicide leads are generally less effective in UU than in OU due to the slower nature of the metagame, Monferno sets himself apart from traditional suicide leads through his access to Endeavor. Endeavor sets the opponent’s HP equal to Monferno’s, so he can use it to take bulky Pokemon like Uxie and Milotic down to 1 HP as he dies. Fire Blast is a standard STAB attack that lets Monferno deal damage before his Focus Sash is broken, or even finish off Endeavored Pokemon who decide to use a support move instead of an attacking one. Finally, Taunt is the primary option in the last slot since it can prevent leads like Omastar from setting up any hazards. However, Vacuum Wave lets Monferno KO faster leads after they are hit by an Endeavor. (Not that this is really relevant, but Vacuum Wave hits just about every common lead for NVE damage (Stuff like Uxie/Mesprit/Qwilfish/Spiritomb/Alakazam/Scyther) and from what it actually hits that Fire Blast doesn't, Ambipom easily beats it anyway and Omastar is much more perturbed by Taunt. I honestly can't see any reason to use Vacuum Wave, so I thought it might be better off in AC. In any case, the description seems kinda inaccurate. Just a thought.)</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Monferno is not designed to survive past the first few turns of a battle, so not much traditional team support is needed. However, carrying a Pokemon who can easily switch into Ambipom is a good idea since Lead lead Ambipom handily beats Monferno. Also, this lead fits best on offensive teams, since they can make the most of the early pressure applied made possible by Monferno’s sacrifice.</p>

<p>Other than Ambipom, dangerous leads include Snover and Hippopotas. Since they automatically induce damaging weather, Monferno won’t be able to successfully Endeavor against them. Snover is less of a problem than Hippopotas since he is 4x weak to Fire Blast and usually doesn’t carry an attack effective against Monferno, but his hail will still prevent Monferno from using his Focus Sash against one of Snover's teammates. Additionally, due to a glitch with the way multi-hit attacks operate on Shoddy Battle, Monferno’s Focus Sash will not save him against users of those moves (Is this part really necessary in the analysis? It's not wrong and obviously important but the way it is worded just sort of irks me. Can we change it to "if using Shoddy Battle..." or something? Partly because not all people reading this analysis will be using Shoddy Battle and partly because when PokeLab comes out this statement is largely irrelevant). This means Cloyster, Rhyperior, and Armaldo with Rock Blast (the common multi-hit attack used competitively) may OHKO Monferno through his Focus Sash when they should not be able to. Finally, the most reliable method of dealing with Endeavor leads is to switch to a Ghost-type that can outspeed and KO Monferno before it can use another move. If you suspect your opponent might be planning to switch to a Pokemon like Spiritomb (with Shadow Sneak or Sucker Punch) or Rotom (who is naturally faster than Monferno), you can select Fire Blast instead of Endeavor, which stings quite a bit when Blaze is activated (it OHKOes offensive Rotom, for example).</p>

<p>To have the best chance of activating Monferno’s Focus Sash, 0 IVs are used in HP, Defense, and Special Defense. Only 504 EVs are used since placing the remaining 4 EVs in one of the defenses or in HP would be counterproductive, while giving them to Attack would be pointless. A Hasty nature is preferred over a Naïve nature since many of Monferno’s resistances are commonly physical attacks, so lowering its Defense means a wider range of attacks will deal fatal damage.</p>

[Optional Changes] (These should probably go after Team Options rather than before)

<p>Since Monferno's bulk is essentially nonexistent, its sets should place all EVs in Attack, Special Attack, or Speed. Max Speed is usually the best choice to outpace the abundant base 80s, such as Blaziken, Venusaur, and Kabutops. If going mixed, a Special Defense-decreasing nature rather than a Defense-decreasing nature is usually a better idea, since the majority of priority attacks are physical.</p>

<p>Monferno has access to both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, but both of those sets are hard to pull off due to Monferno's frailty and relatively low power when compared to similar UU sweepers. Blaziken is usually a more effective user of Swords Dance due to its much higher Attack stat, but Blaziken doesn't have access to Nasty Plot. Nasty Plot Monferno is a rather nasty stall killer, as a +2 Life Orb Grass Knot has a good chance to OHKO Milotic after Stealth Rock damage, &mdash; and many other common stall Pokemon will fall to either Fire Blast or Close Combat. However, Monferno faces stiff competition from fellow Nasty Plotting Fire-types Houndoom and Ninetales.</p>

<p>Much like big brother Infernape, Monferno can try to run a mixed set that takes advantage of Close Combat to OHKO Chansey. Unlike Infernape, Monferno is often too weak to KO even Pokemon who are weak to its attacks. Monferno has access to both Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch, but it is usually hard to fit these attacks on a sweeping set.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Good teammates for the Lead set are not really teammates in the traditional sense, as they should be Pokemon that derive utility from Monferno's sacrifice rather than ones who can back up Monferno. However, if you choose to run a sweeper Monferno, there are some good partners to keep in mind.</p>

<p>Defensive Fire- and Water-type Pokemon are usually the largest threats to a Monferno sweep, depending on your specific set. Using lures such as Passho Berry Houndoom, Passho Berry/Occa Berry Explosion Steelix, or Curse + Explosion Registeel can eliminate these problem Pokemon. The best way to combat Fire- and Water-type Pokemon is a Fire/Water/Grass core of your own. Venusaur, Sceptile, and Leafeon are good offensive Grass-type Pokemon to use against bulky Waters. To an extent, Leafeon can lure defensive Fire-type Pokemon, to an extent, and take them out with a Swords Dance Double-Edge. An Azumarill or Kabutops of your own can be very helpful to combat opposing Fire-types as well.</p>

<p>As a sweeper, Monferno naturally loves Stealth Rock to help him get KOes KOs against defensive Pokemon. If you also use a spinblocker, Stealth Rock can be an important component of your contingency plan against opposing Fire-types. Spikes support is also great for weakening opposing walls, but Toxic Spikes won't do anything particularly effective for Monferno&mdash; if the opposing Pokemon is out on the field long enough to feel the effects of Toxic Spikes, chances are he has already KOed the frail Monferno.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Defensive Arcanine is usually the best Monferno counter; he has Intimidate to buffer Close Combat, a resistance to both Fire Blast and Grass Knot, and Morning Sun to abuse Life Orb recoil against mixed Monferno. Monferno is so frail that ExtremeSpeed or Flare Blitz will usually KO Monferno after one round of Life Orb recoil and Stealth Rock. As long as Moltres can avoid switching into a Hidden Power Rock, it can outpace Monferno and OHKO with a STAB Air Slash.</p>

<p>Milotic is a good counter for most physical and mixed Monferno. She should beware of Nasty Plot versions, though, as they deal 84.5% - 99.7% with boosted Grass Knot. Slowking is a more reliable counter than Milotic due to his higher special bulk and Fighting-type resistance. Slowbro is also a good counter to Monferno, somewhat ironically&mdash; while special Blaziken has no problems smashing through Slowbro but cannot break Milotic, special Monferno usually has no problems with Milotic but cannot beat full health Slowbro. This is because Blaziken must resort to the 70 Base Power Hidden Power against Milotic, while Monferno is able to use the 100 Base Power Grass Knot. Against Slowbro, however, Grass Knot only has 80 Base Power, so Monferno's lower Special Attack comes back to bite it.</p>

k fixed, ty for the check.

&mdash; is html for the em dash (—) but I just replaced them with — where applicable so it's clearer

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
GP CHECK 2/2

pink is grammar edits
blue is prose edits

[Overview]

<p>At first glance, Monferno may appear to be outclassed by Blaziken due to his lower defenses and attacking stats. However, this NFE Pokemon has a few tricks up his sleeve that give him a niche in UU battles, such as access to Stealth Rock, Nasty Plot, and a unique base Speed of 81. The most important note to keep in mind is never to play Monferno like Blaziken—otherwise, you will just end up with an inferior Pokemon. However, if you make the most of Monferno's unique traits, he can be an effective sweeper or supporter.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is designed to set up an early Stealth Rock while putting heavy
offensive pressure on the opponent's lead as well. While suicide leads are generally less effective in UU than in OU due to the slower nature of the metagame, Monferno sets himself apart from traditional suicide leads through his access to Endeavor. Endeavor sets the opponent's HP equal to Monferno's, so he can use it to bring bulky Pokemon like Uxie and Milotic down to 1 HP before he is KOed. Fire Blast is a standard STAB attack that lets Monferno deal damage before his Focus Sash is broken, or even finish off Endeavored Pokemon who decide to use a support move instead of an attacking one. Finally, Taunt is the primary option in the last slot since it can prevent leads like Omastar from setting up any hazards. However, Vacuum Wave lets Monferno KO faster Focus Sash leads after they are hit by Endeavor.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Monferno is not designed to survive past the first few turns of a battle, so not much traditional team support is needed. However, carrying a Pokemon who can easily switch into Ambipom is a good idea since
lead Ambipom handily beats Monferno. Also, this lead fits best on offensive teams, since they can make the most of the early pressure made possible by Monferno's sacrifice.</p>

<p>Other than Ambipom, dangerous leads include Snover and Hippopotas. Since they automatically induce damaging weather, Monferno won't be able to successfully Endeavor against them. Snover is less problematic than Hippopotas since he is 4x weak to Fire Blast and usually doesn't carry an attack effective against Monferno, but his hail will still prevent Monferno from using his Focus Sash against one of Snover's teammates. If using Shoddy Battle, Monferno's Focus Sash will not save him against users of multi-hit moves due to a glitch in how Focus Sash interacts with that type of attack. This means Cloyster, Rhyperior, and Armaldo with Rock Blast (the common multi-hit attack used competitively) may OHKO Monferno through his Focus Sash when they should not be able to. Finally, the most reliable method of dealing with Endeavor leads is to switch to a Ghost-type who can outspeed and KO Monferno before he can use another move. If you suspect your opponent might be planning to switch to a Pokemon like Spiritomb (with Shadow Sneak or Sucker Punch) or Rotom (who is naturally faster than Monferno), you can select Fire Blast instead of Endeavor, which stings quite a bit when Blaze is activated (it OHKOes offensive Rotom, for example).</p>

<p>To have the best chance of activating Monferno's Focus Sash, 0 IVs are used in HP, Defense, and Special Defense. Only 504 EVs are used since placing the remaining 4 EVs in one of Monferno's defenses or in HP would be counterproductive, while giving them to Attack would be pointless. A Hasty nature is preferred over a Naïve nature since many of Monferno's resistances are commonly physical attacks, so lowering its Defense means a wider range of attacks will deal fatal damage.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Good teammates for Monferno are not really teammates in the traditional sense, as they should be Pokemon who derive utility from Monferno's sacrifice rather than ones who can back up Monferno. However, if you choose to run a sweeper Monferno, there are some good partners to keep in mind.</p>

<p>Defensive Fire- and Water-type Pokemon are usually the largest threats to a Monferno sweep, depending on your specific set. Using lures such as Passho Berry Houndoom, Passho Berry/Occa Berry Explosion Steelix, or Curse + Explosion Registeel can eliminate these problem Pokemon. The best way to combat Fire- and Water-
type Pokemon is with a Fire/Water/Grass core of your own. Venusaur, Sceptile, and Leafeon are good offensive Grass-type Pokemon to use against bulky Waters. To an extent, Leafeon can lure defensive Fire-type Pokemon and take them out with a Swords Dance-boosted Double-Edge. An Azumarill or Kabutops of your own can be very helpful to combat opposing Fire-types as well.</p>

<p>As a sweeper, Monferno naturally loves Stealth Rock to help him get
KOs against defensive Pokemon. If you also use a spinblocker, Stealth Rock can be an important component of your contingency plan against opposing Fire-types. Spikes support is also great for weakening opposing walls, but Toxic Spikes won't do anything particularly effective for Monferno—if the opposing Pokemon is out on the field long enough to feel the effects of Toxic Spikes, chances are he has already KOed the frail Monferno.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Monferno has access to both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, but both of those sets are hard to pull off due to Monferno's frailty and relatively low power when compared to similar UU sweepers. Blaziken is usually a more effective user of Swords Dance due to its much higher Attack stat, but Blaziken doesn't have access to Nasty Plot. Nasty Plot Monferno is a rather nasty stall killer, as a +2 Life Orb Grass Knot has a good chance to OHKO Milotic after Stealth Rock damage, and many other common stall Pokemon will fall to either Fire Blast or Close Combat. However, Monferno faces stiff competition from fellow Nasty Plotting Fire-types Houndoom and Ninetales.</p>

<p>Much like big brother Infernape, Monferno can try to run a mixed set that takes advantage of Close Combat to OHKO Chansey. Unlike Infernape, Monferno is often too underpowered to KO even Pokemon who are weak to its attacks. Monferno has access to both Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch, but it is usually hard to fit these attacks on a sweeping set.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Defensive Arcanine is usually the best Monferno counter; he has Intimidate to buffer Close Combat, a resistance to both Fire Blast and Grass Knot, and Morning Sun to abuse Life Orb recoil against mixed Monferno. Monferno is so frail that ExtremeSpeed or Flare Blitz will usually KO him after one round of Life Orb recoil and Stealth Rock. As long as Moltres can avoid switching into Hidden Power Rock, it can outpace Monferno and OHKO with a STAB Air Slash.</p>

<p>Milotic is a good counter for most physical and mixed Monferno. She should beware of Nasty Plot versions, though, as they deal 84.5% - 99.7% with boosted Grass Knot. Slowking is a more reliable counter than Milotic due to his higher special bulk and Fighting-type resistance. Slowbro is also a good counter to Monferno, somewhat ironically —
while special Blaziken has no problems smashing through Slowbro but cannot break Milotic, special Monferno usually has no problems with Milotic but cannot beat full health Slowbro. This is because Blaziken must resort to the 70 Base Power Hidden Power against Milotic, while Monferno is able to use the 100 Base Power Grass Knot. Against Slowbro, however, Grass Knot only has 80 Base Power, so Monferno's lower Special Attack comes back to bite him.</p>
good job, whistle; this is upload-ready once my small changes are in.

edit: sorry, i just noticed that you said that you wanted us to show all original text when we make corrections! :( oh well, my changes were really minor anyway, so i suppose it isnt a huge deal...

edit 2: actually i just realized that the team options makes references to a sweeper set when there is no sweeper set ?_? you might want to look at that at some point.

edit: im aware; it was deliberate because i believe the general team options section should be somewhat independent from the sets. and ty for the check but GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR wrong format (jk). updated and ready for upload ~whistle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)