Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way

I love how this Black and White information flood arrived on my birthday.

After having seen the preliminary list of generation five Pokémon, this is one subject that immediately sprang to mind: what do we need to look for in a lead? Does it need to be fast? Does it need to be durable? Does it need variety?

Of course, these are only basic questions, but it can get much deeper than that once we know more specifics. For now, though, let's see what we can come up with...

Proposed Leads
#567 - Archaeos
Rock/Flying 75/140/65/112/65/110 Weak-Kneed

Lv1: Quick Attack, Lv1: Leer, Lv1: Wing Attack, Lv1: Rock Throw, Lv5: Rock Throw, Lv8: Double Team, Lv11: Scary Face, Lv15: Pluck, Lv18: AncientPower, Lv21: Agility, Lv25: [M501], Lv28: [M512], Lv31: DragonBreath, Lv35: Crunch, Lv40: Endeavor, Lv45: U-turn, Lv51: Rock Slide, Lv56: Dragon Claw, Lv61: Thrash

Steel Wing, Defog, Dragon Pulse, Head Smash, Knock Off, Earth Power, Bite

I saw this thing and immediately thought "I want that at the head of my team." With an attack stat that makes Aerodactyl green with envy and a speed that is also quite incredible, the archaeopterix couldn't be anything short of one of the best leads available in generation five. More so because it can't function with less than half of its hp.

Even knowing just the learn set, we see it learns U-turn, an already fantastic start. To accompany this, we have STAB moves Rock Slide (probably Stone Edge via TM) and [M512], a physical flying move which has a BP of 110 if the opponent has no item. To round out the list, Endeavor allows it to be useful later in the game as a sacrificial lamb.

Honorable mentions to Crunch and Dragon Claw, depending on how the meta shapes up.

After taking a look at the egg moves, we seem to have Head Smash and Knock Off at our disposal as well, leaving Archaeos capable of crippling damn near anything so long as it's faster, and 110 speed says it's going to be faster than the majority.

Earth Power and Dragon Pulse give it some special attacking oomph.

Currently looking into TM options, hold tight.

#517 - Agildar
Bug 80/ 70/ 40/100/ 60/145 Hydration/Sticky Hold/Unburden (Dream World)

Lv1: Leech Life, Lv1: [M491], Lv1: Double Team, Lv1: Quick Attack, Lv4: [M491], Lv8: Double Team, Lv13: Quick Attack, Lv16: [M522], Lv20: Mega Drain, Lv25: Swift, Lv28: Me First, Lv32: Agility, Lv37: Giga Drain, Lv40: U-turn, Lv44: Bug Buzz, Lv49: Recover, Lv52: Power Swap, Lv56: [M515]

Endure, Baton Pass, Double-Edge, Encore, [M470], Mind Reader, Mud-Slap, Spikes, Feint, Pursuit

Holy god look at that speed. Ninja clam screams lead, and U-turn ensures it will be able to deliver. The learn set is pretty terrible, but... the egg moves bring some hope.

It also has access to Encore, Baton Pass, and Spikes. We have a demon of a support lead on our hands. Currently looking into TM options, so bear with me.

Eh... I'm tired, so I'll add more to the list later. I doubt I've even scratched the surface in terms of turning up options anyway.

It does not. Not a level-up move/not a TM means that, unless it is an egg move, Stealth Rock is not a part of this equation.

Unless it's an egg move, it does not appear that Archaeos will have Stealth Rock, but you can bet it'll maul many things that do, so I'm not all too concerned.

The question is: Will it get stealth rock?
Probably not, but we'll need to see Egg Moves or a Move Tutor (which are probably limited to the elemental hyper beams and Draco Meteor) before we can say for certain. No Stealth Rock TMs limits it for the new guys.

I'm incredibly curious as to what Weak Kneed does.
This could make it even better or be its downfall

Edit: Double Ninja'd

Also for a lead, Agiruuda would be a good one if it gets taunt. Stab U-Turn. Bug Buzz, and other moves depending on what it gets.

Given the fact that spin blocking is near impossible will Stealth Rock be used as much on leads?

I LOVED this Pokemon before even looking at its stats. I remember doing a report on the Archaeopteryx in elementary school and I loved the bird ever since! I can't wait to use him on my team and I'm glad he has good stats. :]

It'll still get played. The chance to get free damage and pseudo-control over the pokemon's switches still makes it very viable. Knock off can also knock that "aim" item so stealth rocks can be used again later in the match.

Also, if you kill said pokemon with item, stealth rock can be used again. Stealth rock will just become more strategic to use, people just have to be wary in mid game/late game because sometimes attacking a switch in might become more valuable, even if the pokemon resists it.

Keep in mind Stealth Rock isn't a TM in Gen V, so it my very well learn it via Egg Move from Aerodactyl.

Also, Weak-Kneed doesn't matter with Endeavor with 110 speed, and even after the ability effect, with Focus Sash. FEAR Aerodactyl? yesssir!

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Weak-kneed reduces ALL stats according to what people have said, including Speed. Good luck Endeavoring while you're slow.

Abagoora, the OTHER fossil could be useful if he got Fake Out from Blastoise as an egg move. Coming off 108 base attack, that plus aqua jet will put a dent in alot of common leads, he can also withstand Close Combat, Mach Punch, AND Fake Out from Focus Sash Infernape without dying with only 70 HP EV's (Max defense though)

Abagoora, the OTHER fossil could be useful if he got Fake Out from Blastoise as an egg move. Coming off 108 base attack, that plus aqua jet will put a dent in alot of common leads, he can also withstand Close Combat, Mach Punch, AND Fake Out from Focus Sash Infernape without dying with only 70 HP EV's (Max defense though)
I thiiink you should be looking at Blaziken's Hi Jump Kick instead. =P

On SR: Shouldn't it still have some prevalence at least among the <5th Gen Pokes, they can be traded over (and there have to be some that don't need Dream World).

On Spinblocking: We lose Rotom, but I think the candle may just be a bigger gain.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Spinblocking will be near impossiabel imo with Aiming Mark (or whatever its called). Stall may struggle (though its still too early to tell)

Magic Room might have some utility in a world where spinners with aiming marks are running around.
Certainly, in order to have any hope of blocking rapid spin you'll have to neutralize or remove the aiming mark.
Teams built around hazards will really have to invest in keeping them up.
I don't think it will be a set it and forget it proposition anymore.

Teams dedicated to stall will still stack hazards but offensive teams may not rely on suicide leads as much since the risk of dying for nothing will be too high.
In late gen IV the combination of SR's wide distribution and the excellent overall utility of Rotom-A as both spin blocker and threat is what made suicide leads so popular.
In gen V, my very early guess is that many leads will focus on setting the field effect most beneficial to the team.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Personaly I can forsee Knock Off will get a boost in popularity. And actually I can still see offensive teams running SR. many offensive teams run SR and also don't run a Spin Blocker. I think that the mindset might be that it only takes 1 turn to set up Spikes while the opponents spin blocker would have to carry Aiming Mark (thus no leftovers) which offensive teams could then exploit to get a free set up for a sweeper or something.

Archaeos is pretty outclassed as lead by Aerodactyl, mainly because it has Stealth Rock and Archaeos doesn't. Archaeos also loses one-on-one pretty easily to Aero.

Archoes could still use his dream world ability over weaked-kneed. Do not count him out of the money yet.

I'm sorry if I got the name wrong but Gigaisu the new rock type with sturdy, does it get Stealth rock? If it does I think It would be a pretty good lead with the moves sr/se/explosion/filler, because of it's ability sturdy it can essentially run focus sash and lum berry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)