Excadrill

Doryuuzu

For those who aren't aware, Doryuuzu is one of the new 5th Generation Pokemon, and one that looks to be immensely powerful and top tier. This thread is dedicated to the discussion of the Pokemon competitively, not whether it will or will not be banned. Keep that in mind.
Code:
[B]#530 Doryuuzu[/B]
Typing: Ground / Steel
Ability 1: 
   Sand Throw
    Pokemon's Speed doubles in a sandstorm.
Ability 2: 
   Sand Power
    Pokemon's Rock-, Steel-, and Ground-type attacks have their damage
    boosted in a sandstorm.
Ability 3: (Dream World)
   Mold Breaker
    Pokemon's attacks are unaffected by opposing Pokemon's ability.

HP:  110
Atk: 135
Def: 60
SpA: 50
SpD: 65
Spe: 88

[B]Pre-Evo Moves:[/B]
-

[B]Level-Up Moves:[/B]
Lv1: Scratch
Lv1: Mud Sport
Lv1: Rapid Spin
Lv1: Mud-Slap
Lv5: Rapid Spin
Lv8: Mud-Slap
Lv12: Fury Swipes
Lv15: Metal Claw
Lv19: Dig
Lv22: Claw Sharpen
Lv26: Slash
Lv29: Rock Slide
Lv31: Horn Drill
Lv36: Earthquake
Lv42: Swords Dance
Lv49: Sandstorm
Lv55: Drill Liner
Lv62: Fissure

Claw Sharpen: Dark Other PP: 15 / Power: --- / Accuracy: ---
Raises Attack and accuracy 1 stage.

Drill Liner: Ground Physical PP: 10 / Power: 80 / Accuracy: 95
Good chance for a critical hit.

[B]TM Moves:[/B]
TM01 - Claw Sharpen
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM21 - Frustration
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM28 - Dig
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double  Team
TM36 - Sludge Bomb
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Troll
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM56 - Fling
TM65 - Shadow Claw
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM75 - Swords Dance
TM78 - Level Ground
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM81 - X-Scissor
TM84 - Poison Jab
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM01 - Cut
HM04 - Strength

Troll: Normal Special PP: 15 / Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100
Raises Base Power the more Pokemon you have with the attack.

Level Ground: Ground Physical PP: 20 / Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100
May decrease opponent's Speed by 1 stage.

[B]Egg Moves:[/B]
Iron Defense
Rapid Spin
Earth Power
Crush Claw
Metal Sound
Submission
Skull Bash
Rock Climb
There are a lot of very cool things this 'mon can do. Let's go down the line of things I immediately notice when looking at him.

• Immune to poison and Thunder Wave
    There are some rumors around that Thunder Wave goes through Ground typing, but after asking a few people who own the game, they tell me that it does, in-fact, not paralyze Ground-type Pokemon. Whether this is the reality or not is up to debate, but if it is immune to Thunder Wave, it can set up pretty much with impunity on Blissey. It's also immune to the two most common status effects (we'll see how common burn is with Boiling Water fresh out).
  • Base 88 Speed that doubles in a sandstorm
    That's a big number. With no investment and a neutral nature, it hits 212 Speed, 414 after the Sand Throw boost. With only a few EVs, it already outspeeds Choice Scarf Heatran. If you feel like investing 252 EVs into Speed, you hit 275 Speed, 550 after the ability boost. That's enough to beat +1 base 115 Pokemon like Azelf and Starmie. As you can see, even with an Adamant nature, Doryuuzu outspeeds basically everything in the metagame even after a boost. That's amazing.
  • Access to Swords Dance
    With Swords Dance, he boosts his already stellar Attack stat to even higher levels. Let's put this in perspective. He has a 405 Attack stat with Adamant and 252 EVs, which at +2 hits 810. He also has access to pseudo-EdgeQuake attack coverage in Rock Slide and STAB Earthquake. Needless to say, outspeeding the entire metagame, having great coverage, and hitting 810 Attack is pretty obscene.
  • Access to Rapid Spin
    Ignoring his support movepool would be a tragedy. Let's pair Doryuuzu with Hippowdon or Tyranitar and use him as one of the best offensive Rapid Spinners that exist. New Ghosts Shanderaa, Burunkeru, and Goruggo cannot take a STAB Earthquake from 810 Attack, so they are eliminated and Doryuuzu guarantees that hazards are removed.
  • Poor type coverage beyond Ground/Rock
    It's not all good for Doryuuzu. With Rock Slide, Shadow Claw, and X-scissor as your only coverage moves, you're going to have issues with Skarmory. Defensive Skarmory may be unable to actually do damage to Doryuuzu, but he can take a +2 Rock Slide and Whirlwind him away.
I suspect that a dominant set will look like this:

Doryuuzu @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Sand Throw
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
~ Swords Dance
~ Earthquake
~ Rock Slide
~ Rapid Spin / X-scissor

I think X-scissor might actually be useful, because there are some Grass-types out there that could be an issue. X-scissor also hits every Pokemon that resists the EdgeQuake attacking combination. 236 Spe EVs hits 542 Speed after Sand Throw, just beating +1 115's. I'm not quite sure offhand what other Speed tiers he may want to hit, but with an Adamant nature he can never outspeed Timid +0 Heatran even with max investment without the sandstorm boost. It's worth noting that with 172 HP EVs, Doryuuzu can set up 101 HP Substitutes and totally set up on Seismic Toss Blissey's face. I haven't even considered the possibility of Mold Breaker or Sand Power here, which both seem entirely viable in their own right!

What do you guys think? What sets do you think look promising? Who will you guys partner him with (besides the obvious Sand Stream users)? Who do you think will give him trouble?

Magnezone would be an awesome partner getting rid of Skarmory. Any special sweeper really helps Doryuuzu as Doryuuzu plus that special sweeper can tear apart teams. Another thing X-scissor has more usefulness then just grass types, Bronzong, Breloom and Claydol(lol) all resist the edgequake combo and X-scissor hits all of them nuetrally.

I'm excited for this guy, I'm thinking his offensive power will be so huge that he could quite possibly be the next Lucario in terms of setup and sweep power. Like Lucario, he resists pursuit, stealth rock, is immune to poison, and like you said, immune to thunder wave (unlike Lucario). With multiple opportunities to come in due to his steel typing and immunity, I can see him being a top tier threat for sure.

Doryuuzu also has Mold Breaker from Dream world, so all those Bronzongs and Rotom are utterly destroyed with ease.

This is Pokemon Black and White.

This will definitely be a top threat to look out for. Defensively, Ground/Steel is great, resisting the most common priority attacks-Bullet Punch and Extremespeed. His good HP offsets his poor defenses, as he can even take CB Aqua Jets from the likes of Azumarill.

He's not all that versatile, though, which is why I think people are overreacting. He'll definitely be the best of the best physical sweepers, but as you can see his movepool is pretty shallow. His best item is certainly the Aiming Mark, imo. It lets him hit Skarmory super effective, as well as getting solid hits on Gliscor and the new Ground/Flying legendary. While Life Orb is certainly missed, he won't have to rely on Rock Slide to damage Flying-types and Levitate Pokemon. X-Scissor covers Grass-types that resist your STAB, and Shadow Claw or Rock Slide fill in the last slot.

What a weird world we live in when Scarfed Politoad might become an OU standard.

Speed and attack that intense speaks for itself. However its defenses suck pretty hard. The bulky grounds could possibly check it (Swampert barely survives a +2 Earthquake) and something like Flygon has a decent chance of not getting savagely raped. Nattorei (land mine Grass / Steel) should survive an Earthquake (just barely) and retaliate somehow.

It sounds like a REALLY good OU to me. lol, it might give Mach Punch Technician Breloom a reason to live.

Doryuuzu will be good but those paper defences won't help taking Aqua Jets and Mach Punches.

The Rotoms are good counters with their resistance to Doryuuzu's STABs. Weezing will work too and Skarmorry like you already said.

So great sandstorm sweeper but not unbeatable.

blasphemy1 said:
His best item is certainly the Aiming Mark, imo.
Is this item confirmed? If so, I definitely think Doryuuzu abusing it would be fantastic. Skarmory, Bronzong, and basically anything that fully resists EdgeQuake would be maimed. Breloom would be handled by a +2 X-scissor, and that's pretty much it.

And yes, guys, I totally agree. Politoed with Drizzle is going to be a great check to Doryuuzu. That and Fighting and Water priority might become more popular as a response.
Ferdie said:
Doryuuzu will be good but those paper defences won't help taking Aqua Jets and Mach Punches.
110/60/65 is actually not bad at all, believe it or not. That's much bulkier than Infernape or Lucario, for instance.

Substitute could be usefull in the last slot, protects from burn and can help scout out his counters. Better than the OHKO against celebi, who i doubt will be popular.

His typing isn't the best defensively unfortunatly, and pairing him with t-tar adds unfortunate water, fighting, and grounds overlapping weaks (although t-tar takes fire attack well). Rotom cut seems like a good way to cover these

Yes, this little guy got a huge amount of my attention just after looking at the Stats he got, then I read that his speed gets doubled and he made me want to start an SS team.

But in terms of who to pair him with I believe it would either be with Gyarados or something of the sort to draw out some electric type to allow Dory to come in and set up, however my set was with Sub over Rapid Spin seeing as with the new item allowing no spin blocking I could just as easily run something else with it rather than put it on his spot, plus this guy boasts a 4x resistance to SR so Spikes is really the only thing getting him, since he's also immune to TSpikes.

Overall I think this little monster is going to be annoying and good. I mean can you imagine a SS Team with this guy and not being sure if you are going to take a STAB EQ that gets Boosted from the ability, or if he's going to outspeed your counter? Not only does his ability set allow for bluffing but I could see him possibly rocking a CB Set as well, since he gets the speed to do it and if you scout their counter you can easily hit them for some huge damage. Maybe he doesn't have the best coverage, but being only able to be hit by burn and being able to outspeed and have SE Damage on most pokemon carrying moves that burn (Granted W-o-W and Boiling Water pokes won't be hit for SE Damage, but Sub can block Burn and Boiling Water Pokes get hit in the face by a +2 STAB LO EQ with SS Going)

So yeah, I'm pretty sure this guy will easily be one of the Top OU pokes.

EDIT: Ninja'd on the Substitute

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I am making a sand team just for this awesome looking dude. I don't think Mold Breaker will be used as much, just because sand throw gives him epic speed and power, while allowing some investment in bulk. @Blasphemy I assume Aiming Mark hits flying with ground?

Aside from the legendaries, one of the most threatening pokemon i've seen. you can't really try to revenge kill it, however, scarf Dugtrio or Scarf Shaymin-S could possibly revenge it, if it goes adamant, and if it goes Jolly, you really have to rely on priory moves, like a Mach Punch and Aqua Jet to take it down. Some of the bulkiest pokemon in the game, can take a hit from +2 attack, hit back for the OHKO, like Suicune, Hippowdon, a offensive Bronzong. Scarf Dugtrio would be a good revenge killer since it can outspeed the adamant ones, and be able to trap magnezone.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
@ Steeldragon Scarf Dugtrio would revenge kill it, but what other competitive purpose would it serve?

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hmm. Great typing, resisting Stealth Rocks x4, which is practically nothing, and its Immune to Twave and Toxic, So a Burn is the only way. It has 3 pretty amazing abilities if you ask me. I think a Choice Band set with Mold Breaker would work Brilliantly, because you still have amazing power, and a great ability.

I don't see Drill Liner anywhere; I"m assuming its move [529] at level 55.

Given the extremely high attack + SD, I'll go ahead and argue that if no OHKOs/2HKOs are missed, Drill Liner will be the way to go as it has a higher chance of going critical. Checks I can think of off the top of my head are:

Skarmory, Rotom-W, Weezing, Physically Defensive Natorel, and the new Grass/Fighting legendary (sporting a resistance to Ground, Rock, and Bug neutrality).

@ Steeldragon Scarf Dugtrio would revenge kill it, but what other competitive purpose would it serve?
It will probably still be a decent revenge killer in the 5th generation. Doryuuzu could be soo much of a threat that, dugtrio spring up could be one of the primary revenge killers for it.

What about choice band with sandpower as a lure? Skarm normally expects to switch in on swords dance, but instead get hit by a powered up rock slide for the 2hko. Onokuso can now ddance and sweep. Thoughts?

He needs sandstorm. In term more ninetails and politoad. Politoad could do some damage to this, as could nine tails with an instant solarbeam (more likely if squad has tyranitar counter)

Weather is going to be important this gen me thinks

Very nice sweeper, all of his abilities are great. Not so great type coverage though. If Aiming Mark lets him EQ Skarmory, it'd be an item to watch out for.

Where did you get the list of learned TM/HM moves, by chance?

He's really looking to be a top-notch sweeper, especially with that 140 base attack. He also benefits from having fairly decent base speed which with proper EV investment can be played around to net him certain speed tiers depending on sand or not. Limited movepool will keep him in check, though. Politoed @ Choice Scarf can come in on a SD or as a revenger and threaten with STAB+Rain Surf, all the while canceling out Sand!

This powerful sweeper is also only about 2ft tall (0.7m) :)

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm so psyched for this Pokémon. He looks awesome and judging by the stats he has, it could be a real powerhouse in OU. If this Aiming Mark item is confirmed, I can see this Pokémon being a real problem if you allow it just one Swords Dance. Some Bulky Waters may be able to handle it, but they'll have to take a huge chunk of damage for sure.

[M529] could possibly be Drill Liner, couldn't it? With an increased CH-Rate ... hm, I don't know. EQ is stronger and has perfect Accuray, so ...

Well, I'm really excited about this guy. Not only does he look epic, he has lots of Resistances/Immunities and great Stats that are perfectly designed imo.

I kinda hope, that it can learn Meteor Mash somehow, this would add extra coolness xD

Pratty said:
Where did you get the list of learned TM/HM moves, by chance?
There is a database dump here that has the TM lists.
Megakick said:
What about choice band with sandpower as a lure? Skarm normally expects to switch in on swords dance, but instead get hit by a powered up rock slide for the 2hko. Onokuso can now ddance and sweep. Thoughts?
This is a definite possibility. With a band and pseudo-STAB (whatever % boost it ends up being) on Rock Slide, it might work. Rock Slide is pretty weak, though, so its success depends how much the boost from Sand Power is.

[M529] looks pretty disappointing. Inferior to Earthquake beside crit rate. Meh.

This thing is looking pretty good. EdgeQuake is very nice and he'll make good use of it considering he will rarely be outsped. He's still wallable, though, which I think is more practical than revenging him with Dugtrio (although trio can revenge Ninetales too). Neither Politoed or Ninetales would be really good counters to him, as they will likely get KOed on switching in (or the turn after, for Politoed). Ninetales does outspeed out of Sand but it'll just switch out. And once Politoed/Ninetales are out, your opponent can renew Sand and resume sweep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)