Fire Spin & Equivalents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before Flinchhax Togekiss and before Drunksparce, there was Fire Spin-Fire Blast Moltres in RBY. Game Freak vastly overestimated Fire Spin's power, even though it was clearly intended to be an ultimate attack - it was the last move many fire pokemon learned.

In Generation 2, it retained its 15 power and 75% accuracy... and lost what was effectively a 100% flinch rate to get a 2-5 round weak damage and trap effect. And that's all she wrote.

In Generation 5, however, Fire Spin has been boosted to a usable 35 Special Power, 85% accuracy, and traps for 5 to 6 turns by default. Additionally, there is a hold item called Pressure Button which increases the move's power - I'm not certain by how much, if anyone would like to test it, but it costs 48 Battle Points. With that price, I'm expecting a 50% increase, and I'm hoping it's 100%. The comparable cost item gives you a Levitate until you're hit, which is pretty big. There's also the Grip Claw, and I'm not sure how it'll change this gen - if it goes the way of weather rocks and lasts 8 turns, that's... pretty nice.

The following pokemon get Fire Spin: Charizard, Ninetales, Arcanine, Rapidash, Magmortar, Moltres, Houndoom, Entei, Blaziken, Torkoal, Solrock, Infernape, Shanderaa (Ghost Chandelier), Heatran, Kuitaran (Fire Anteater), Urugamosu (Fire/Bug thing of doom).

Of these pokemon, Entei, Moltres, Torkoal, Ninetales, Arcanine are fairly durable. Out of those, all of them are:
- Quick (except Torkoal)
- Have an ability that supports switching in (except Moltres and Entei, both of which have Dream World abilities that support that).
- Have a powerful offense and/or a statboosting move. Ninetales also gets the now 100% accurate Disable, which might have use. Maybe?

Depending on that Pressure Button item, I could see 'more accurate, weaker Magma Storm' having a usage. Reliable support damage for 5-6 turns isn't bad either.

Fire Spin's equivalents also got boosts. I'm pretty dumb at pokemons and also low on time, so I won't try to highlight anyone amazing. I also will not be including Gen Vers here due to being low on time.

Without further ado:
Bind: 15 BP; Physical Normal; 85% Accuracy
Carnivine, Dusknoir, Kecleon, Pinsir, Steelix, Tangrowth

Wrap: 15 BP; Physical Normal; 90% Accuracy
Arbok, Chimecho, Deoxys, Dragonite, Lickilicky, Milotic, Seviper, Shuckle, Tentacruel, Victreebel

Clamp: 35 BP; Physical Water; 85% Accuracy
Cloyster

Whirlpool: 35 BP; Special Water; 85% Accuracy
I'll just link you Gen IV, but be warned that if precedent holds, you probably cannot transfer Gen IV HM moves to Gen V...

Sand Tomb: 35 BP; Physical Ground; 85% Accuracy
Dugtrio, Flygon, Forretress, Garchomp, Gliscor, Hippowdon, Sandslash, Shuckle, Steelix, Sudowoodo, Torterra, Trapinch

Magma Storm: 120 BP; Special Fire; 75% Accuracy
Heatran

I'm sorry, but it's the same reasoning in gen4: either you'll just trap the opponets counter to your mon, or they don't have anything to stop it in which case you won't need to trap them and set up to sweep them. Really, the only non-gimmick one i see is magma storm heatran, which plays the same as before. If it got buffed to 85% accuracy though...

I'm sorry, but it's the same reasoning in gen4: either you'll just trap the opponets counter to your mon, or they don't have anything to stop it in which case you won't need to trap them and set up to sweep them. Really, the only non-gimmick one i see is magma storm heatran, which plays the same as before. If it got buffed to 85% accuracy though...
why I only said tinker and not rely on or even play. Who knows, shuckle may be able to steal the counter's attack power enough to take the hits, throw on rock throw or something for stab to take an unlikely KO. I mean its NU so its got nothing to lose by trying it. That's just me though.

This is a plus. Lapras and Politoad will now have a much easier time, trapping foes, using Perish Song, then stalling them out for a quick defeat.

I don't think any other pokemon have a wrap-type move plus Perish Song.

Do they remain trapped on a Switch? If so it has some potential
Unless this has changed from previous generations, which Veekun has not noted, no.

I'm inclined to think the boosts are not enough to raise it out of obscurity, but Fire Spin and their ilk were not used in Gen IV not just because of accuracy, but because of unreliability of duration. On top of that, it is a round where you are doing direct damage, still - depending on the item, perhaps a noticeable amount of direct damage.

I think it might be worth looking into for some of these, particularly Shuckle and Entei.

Wobbuffet 2.0

Shuckle@ grip claw/leftovers
max hp/def, +def nature

Wrap/sand tomb
Encore
Toxic
Rest

If something that set ups comes into the trap, encore. If something thats bulky comes into the trap, toxic. There is only one question: Why wasn't this discovered last gen? I guess because of scizor, who would porbably come in, and then uturn out. but you could predict the uturn and sand tomb again... and if he sds, encore the second or his attack.

Because last gen, the accuracy and length of trapping sucked. "Maybe I'll have to trap him again every two turns with 85% accuracy" isn't nearly as good as "every 5 to 6 with 90%."

I wish Baton Pass wasn't illegal with Speed boost on Blaziken. It could become a Fire Spin passer, along with Speed. But I guess he can just settle for a pseudo mean look pass.

Is there anyone who can get data on those two hold items? Grip Claw and Pressure Button? I get this sudden feeling from the name of the second one, it might actually boost the periodic damage... Periodic damage to be used in addition to Status. Hrm?

Whirlpool is only a HM on HG/SS, so...

Anyways, I think this is a good counter to "walls", as it can keep doing reliable damage to them while you're doing other stuff. In a sense, it's better than knockoff, as it negates leftovers/black sludge, and prevents switching.

Question: Can you withdraw the firespinuser while leaving the firespin effect in play?

I wish Baton Pass wasn't illegal with Speed boost on Blaziken. It could become a Fire Spin passer, along with Speed. But I guess he can just settle for a pseudo mean look pass.
Egg moves are obtainable on Dream World Ability sets, as DW abilities are breedable. This has been confirmed.

@Xienzo: No, Torchic learns it through breeding, and that´s off topic.

I´ll use Fire Spin Entei in low tiers lol

Baton Pass is a move from Pokemon XD; it's not an egg move and can't be transferred through breeding.
Serebii, Bulbagarden, Smogon, and common sense disagree with you.

No form of the Blaziken line was available IN Gale of Darkness, let alone "the only one with Baton Pass".

If Vaporeon and Suicune can still learn Whirlpool, then they are going to be RIDICULOUS stallers. >_>

You couldn't Baton Pass the trapping effect in Gen 4, so it's likely you won't be able to pass them in Gen 5 either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)