Cobalion

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If only it had a bit more special defense it could serve as an excellent check for Sazandora.... but with all things considered, I think both SD and CM sets are going to be pretty effective sweepers, what with its natural bulk, great typing and speed.

I definitely agree with everyone on here that Kobaruon doesn't look that cool, kinda like a generic Gold Silver roaming dog legendary. Even though he's being compared to Lucario due to his typing I think he has a few things going for him. For one he has much sturdier defenses so maybe he can take a few hits if he doesn't 1HKO. I think his biggest threat is priority Fighting attacks, which I would switch out on anyways. The other threat he may have is speed users of Earthquake and Focus Blast. I think this Rock Polish Set could work, reaching a speed of 504 after one Rock Polish (beating Scarf Flygon and other scarfers):

Kobaruon @ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
EVs 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Rock Polish
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head / Taunt

If a priority attacker like Ape or Lucario come in, just switch out. All you have lost at that point is one setup move, but the potential to sweep MANY Pokes is good with this set IMO :D I think Shandera would have good synergy with him, seeing as a priority fighting attack would be coming on the switch you wouldn't have to worry about switching out of Kobaruon.

I can confirm that justice heart does NOT give you immunity to dark type attacks, but just gives you an attack increase if you're hit by one.

Just got hit by a crunch from a poke, and i still took damage. So yeah.

Edit: Well i feel stupid not reading the rest of the thread.
But yeah, i guess i can double confirm it.

This thing has a really unappealing design, IMO, but everything else looks really cool. Heart of Justice is going to be like levitate for dark type moves. Poor dark types.
I agree. It reminds me of something that would be on one of those fake pokemon boxes people used to make in the late 90s. Pokemon Teal Version.

Thanks for the comments guys. I updated the OP and mentioned Sacred Sword as an option for the SD set.

@Volcano: I've thought about Rock Polish set too but I realized it really lacks power due to Kobaruon's mediocre base 90 Attack. Anyway I'd put Swords Dance on the last slot even if it probably won't have two free turns to set up in such an offensive metagame.

Thanks for the comments guys. I updated the OP and mentioned Sacred Sword as an option for the SD set.

@Volcano: I've thought about Rock Polish set too but I realized it really lacks power due to Kobaruon's mediocre base 90 Attack. Anyway I'd put Swords Dance on the last slot even if it probably won't have two free turns to set up in such an offensive metagame.
I dunno, I think there are DEFINITELY gonna be a lot of anti-metagame players out there. Having allout offensive metagame gets repetitive so I think you'll see people try and run stall this gen. With Mischievous Heart on Quagsire and Erufuun they're gonna WRECK set-up sweepers. Priority Leech Seed, Sub stalls anyone? That and Encore o.0 I can send you a Youtube vid of some CHEAPASS stall already exhibited :D

Resists Rock and Dark, and gets an attack boost from Dark? AND it's fast and gets STAB on Fighting? Sounds like the perfect answer to Tyranitar lol

Pretty cool, but eh I don't find any of the 4 horse things that interesting. It's a shame we finally get Fighting type legendaries, and they all have really... Awkward designs, to say the least (What is with this things feet?! Is that a big toe? Why does it have a mouse face? Is that a teen stache?) :s where the hell did Game Freak get the idea for this thing from... I will never guess.

Resists Rock and Dark, and gets an attack boost from Dark? AND it's fast and gets STAB on Fighting? Sounds like the perfect answer to Tyranitar lol

Pretty cool, but eh I don't find any of the 4 horse things that interesting. It's a shame we finally get Fighting type legendaries, and they all have really... Awkward designs, to say the least (What is with this things feet?! Is that a big toe? Why does it have a mouse face? Is that a teen stache?) :s where the hell did Game Freak get the idea for this thing from... I will never guess.
IIRC the idea is that they're the three musketeers, and Kerudio is the 4th Musketeer or something. Meloia is the lover of one of the Musketeer's or something.

i wonder why they separated all the "grouped" legendaries in the pokedex? the four horse legends aren't consecutive, the three genies aren't consecutive, and the three uber dragons (electric, fire, ice) aren't in order either.

This thing looks pretty cool as a offensive Cmer with its unique typing.I do think that Terakion would actually be a better Sd'er though.Overall it kind of a cool poke.Sacred sword is somethign ive always wanted to try.

-puts on nerd glasses- According to my calculations..

I was testing the Calm Mind set to see how it could fair as a wall.

With 252 Hp / 252 SpD with a Calm Nature....

With Two count em, two Calm Minds Kobaru does a whopping 46% - 54% With Focus Blast againt a 252 Atk / 252 Spe Gyarados
And it does about 30% with Flash Cannon

Gyarados proceeds to use Earthquake which does 94% - 111% damage
It does 86% - 101% with Kobaru @ Defense Positive nature.

With TWO Calm Minds 252 SpA Heatran does 61% - 72% With Fire Blast without Flash Fire
The good news is that Kobaru has a Guaranteed OHKO with Focus Blast, provided it hits

Look, the bad news is that Kobaru has no recovery move what-so-ever and most of the most common attackers resist Flash Cannon or Focusblash or both. (IE Zapdos, Gyarados, Dragonite/Mence, etc)

It could fair much better in UU possibly. Don't ask me I don't play UU

For some strange reason this Pokemon looks like a Llama to me but let's get to this set I made. Anyways this is a bulky swords dancer with lum berry to avoid status, it does lack power but it's defense is useful in taking attacks and it also has really good speed and with a Justice Heart boost it can possibly sweep. I know it's not the best set but I have tested it and so far it's done pretty good. It can take at least one or two physical hits and if it's faster it can possibly get a SD and proceed to do damage to the opponents team.

Kobaruon @ Lum Berry
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SAtk)
EVs 128 HP / 72 Atk / 100 Def / 208 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat/Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

I personally love this thing and think it has great potential. It could run many different sets such as CM, Def Wall and even a mix set but I haven't tested those sets. It also has immunity to Toxic which would help him as a wall.

I don't think simply outrunning Jolly Garchomp is enough since you'll lose to Kojondo, Zoroark, Infernape, and the other horses. Running 232 Spe outruns Jolly Kojondo and Zoroark but at that point, you're better off just running max Spe to at least tie with Infernape and the other horses.

Unless those EVs allow you to survive something specific, you should either run maximum HP for the most overall bulk or put nearly all of it in Def for the most physical bulk.

This app can tell you where to put your EVs to maximize overall/physical bulk once you put the other EVs where you want.

http://users.smogon.com/X-Act/defense.html

It looks llamish to me as well. It doesn't look 'bad', but it could've looked cooler.

Looks aside, it has higher defenses and speed than Lucario and a lesser Attack than him. Thanks to his typing and ability, he loves T-tar, but Lucario also gets the same ability in DW. Guess they can be compared together, but they function a bit differently.

Azure Demon

Reall no one put this yet

Jolly~heart of justice
Evs: 6hp/252attack/252spd
Item: ballon

Close combat
Sacred sword
Iron head
taunt/stone edge

Taunt + 108 speed is pretty good for walling. 72 SDef is a little weak but propped up by calm mind. It does have 90 in both attacking stats, so it could probably use cheer up somewhat effectively. Also, Volt Change solves your magnazone problem without resorting to shed shell (but not you're dugrio problem). It also gets dragon tail.

Finally, 1/4 damage from dark + Justice Heart + not Lucario defenses + Faster than Lucario = Awesome.

How did that thing manage to get so ugly?

I think i'm gonna run max speed now but then it would lose some of it's Attack but I guess i'll see what it can do by testing and thanks for the calculator thing this will definitely help in the future.

I has nice stats all around and great typing, and can be a quite effective specially or phisically based mixed sweepers with cheer up to hit pokeoon like Hippowdon and Steelix harder on their weaker special defensive sides and or pokemon like Mantine with stone edge on its weaker defensive side, though it may be less appealing that SD or CM sets, but it can still work out, like:

Specially Based mixed booster
Kobaruon @ Life Orb/ Expert Belt
Naive
252 Speed/ 64 Att/ 192 SpAtt or
252 SpAtt/ 64 Att/ 192 Speed
~ Cheer Up
~ Close Combat/ Sacred Sword
~ Flash Cannon/ Volt Change
~ Hidden Power Ice/ Hidden Power Grass/ Hidden Power Ground/ Focus Blast

1 Cheer Up boosts you up to a respectable 396 special attack and a nice 348 Attack, leaving you with some nice power to start a sweep. Close Combat or Sacred Sword are for hitting Blissey and are a realible form of STAB. Flash Cannon also offers STAB coverage and hits bulky Rock Types or their usually lower special defensive side. But since it's not too good for coverage, Volt Change hits Bulky waters like Slowbro pretty hard and allows you to escape threats like Shadow Tag Shandera or scout. HP Ice hits Dragons and Bulky Grass types like Tangrowth, but mainly the fomer. HP Grass also works in conjunction with Flash Cannon to hit Bulky Waters, along with Swampert, Quagsire, and Gamageroge, who otherwise won't take damage from Volt Change. Hidden power ground hits Shandera and other fire types that can cause trouble. Focus Blast hits Steelix and Nattorei harder than CC or Sacred Sword, but limits your coverage significantly. If you want to hit harder and still hit a good speed, switch Speed and SpA evs so it looks like 252 SpAtt/ 64 Att/ 192 Speed.

And of course, with it's larger physical movepool, it makes a good physically based mixed sweeper too

physically based mixed booster
Kobaroun @ Life Orb/ Expert Belt
Naive
252 Speed/ 192 Attack/ 64 SpA or
192 Speed/ 252 Attack/ 64 SpA
~ Cheer Up
~ Close Combat/ Sacred Sword
~ Stone Edge/ Iron Head
~ Hidden Power Grass/ Ice/ Focus Blast

Pretty the same set as before, except the EVs are adjusted for physically sweeping. The first two slots are pretty much self-explanatory, while Stone Edge hits threatening fire types, like Uragamoth and Shandera. However, Iron Head can get some nice flinches along with STAB. The Hidden powers are for they're same reasons as explained in the set above, and Focus Blast hits Steelix hard, but, again, you lose coverage.

They will probably be discarded for CM or SD sets, but they can do very good against unsuspecting/ unprepared opponents.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The main reason I haven't touched this yet is because of Shandera. His movepool is really bad too, but I suppose Focus Blast and HP are enough for a CM set. Lucario is just the better SD user, period.

I suppose I'll try him out and pair him wit something like...Starmie to cover his ass on the stuff he's weak to. It's a shame a CM set won't do anything with Justice Heart, but that's the only thing I can really see myself doing with him. Maybe even Specs, if only for Volt Change.

I agree. It reminds me of something that would be on one of those fake pokemon boxes people used to make in the late 90s. Pokemon Teal Version.
Actually, this is the only elk from the trio I like D: The Rock Polish set worked wonders for me, outrunning Doryuuzu and going for a clean OHKO with Close Combat.

edit: i love the design

Meh its steel typing allows it more liberties than its rock/fighting brother, but overall its not amazing. Good. Not great.

I too hate the design.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)