Gliscor

Hmm..
Well it does suck that Gliscor doesnt get roost and poison heal this gen, but thats why there is wish support.

Agreeing with several posters above a facade set would be nice.

NO ROOST+POISON HEAL?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. ={.

Well Roost is probably the biggest staple on any Gliscor set...I mean cmon a wall without recovery is just generally bad.Sand veil it is *Sigh*

I have a question. Why can't we use Gliscor like a Walrein? It gets the 12% recovery, and arguably has much better defenses and typing, not to mention better speed. It's a shame it doesn't get Roar or Whirlwind, but that's the only thing it's missing. If it's running in a Sandstorm, you still get the residual damage as well, and Gliscor's Earthquake will deal heavy damage to anything immune to Sandstorm or Toxic.

Specially Defensive (Unless it's Ice)

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Ability: Poison Heal

- Substitute
- Protect
- Toxic / Taunt
- Earthquake

This loadout gives Gliscor 354 / 287 / 273 defenses to work from, whilst also being very easy to switch in thanks to his immunities to Electric (becoming much more common) and Ground (also a massive threat in this metagame) So you can easily get a substitute up on something choiced into either of these attacks, or just something that's slow and threatened by Earthquake. And then you can just spam from there, if you've got a Sandstorm up (Tyranitar says hi) and finish slower pokes with Earthquake.

Also, if you it to be more physically based, you can run an Impish nature and get 354 / 315 / 249 instead, and if you're going Hardcor, then you can run 252/252/4 Impish and get 354 / 383 / 187 instead.

Pros over Walrein
> MUCH MUCH MUCH better typing.
> Can use a much more common weather and be just as effective thanks to STAB Earthquake gaining excellent coverage against pokemon that are immune to Sandstorm and Poison.
> If you have Toxic Spikes up, then Taunt becomes very helpful for scouting switchins, alongside Protect, whilst also spreading the poison if you Taunt a setup pokemon.
> Unpredictability. The opponent won't know you're running Stallcor just from putting it in front of them, since Toxic Orb looks viable on semi-offensive sets and baton passers too.

Cons over Walrein
> Stopped cold by Rain Dance, unless you have Toxic Spikes support and have a Sub up when they Rain Dance.
> Slightly lower defenses, compensated for by better speed and STAB Earthquake.
> No Super Fang or STAB Blizzard / Brine to abuse, although STAB Earthquake is fine.
> No Roar to phaze opponents with. The only major issue. D:

A few days bump... sorry guys! But...

You CAN breed Dream World abilities! So isn't there a way for a Gliscor to have both Roost and Poison Heal? For example, the father has Roost and the mother has Poison Heal? It would be cool for somebody to confirm this.

A few days bump... sorry guys! But...

You CAN breed Dream World abilities! So isn't there a way for a Gliscor to have both Roost and Poison Heal? For example, the father has Roost and the mother has Poison Heal? It would be cool for somebody to confirm this.
Roost isn't a TM anymore and it also isn't in Gliscors Egg Move arsenal, so the baby won't have it. :\

Wow, that sub/protect stallrein thing is a MONSTER with toxic spikes support. It can single-handedly decimate stall once steel types immune to EQ are out of the picture. I recommend its usage to pretty much anyone.

I was really impressed with the poison heal and Acrobat set so I've put it to the test.

Gliscor@Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Impish 244 HP/96 At/48 Df/120 SpD
Earthquake
Acrobat
Fling
Sword Dance

There are only two issues. You can never use Fling on your first turn because you need to wait for the orb to activate, which in turn makes Acrobat fairly useless until turn #3 for Gliscor. So set up may take awhile. The good side is Gliscor is very hard to take down outside of Ice and Water attacks, so eventually getting the set up is just a matter of time.

And having a bulky pokemon like this with two great 100+ BP STAB attacks that don't over lap (Fire, Steel, Electric, Poison, Rock, Grass, Fighting, Bug take SE damage). You threaten many things. You're a terrific Blaziken counter as it needs Sword Dance to do even nominal damage to you, and you OHKO with either attack. Really good switch in for Scarfchomp as well since even Outrage doesn't do much even being neutral. Being immune to status also makes hindering your rampage difficult.

Bulky waters and the Dragons that are immune to EQ (Dragonite, Latios, Salamence, Sazandorah, basically all of them) and have good special attack are your biggest threats.

The only thing I'm curious about are the EVs. I gave him 250 attack which is usable, but abusable after a +2. I'm just wondering what the best defensive spread is really, or if I should have any attack EVs at all.

All in all I'm terrifically impressed with this pokemon as he's boosted my win ratio significantly. He's not perfect, but he compliments my team nicely. I'm finding I'm really enjoying bulky sweepers like him and Roopushin.

I don't think a Walrein-esque set would work for Gliscor, because Walrein gets Ice Body recovery AND Leftovers recovery, while Gliscor is only getting Poison Heal recovery. It's quite unlikely that you'll manage to switch into a Toxic, and even then it could miss. While Walrein gets 18% recovery each turn (thus ending up with more health than before after a Sub + Protect), Gliscor only gets 12%, so it barely misses out on recovering the lost HP from Substitute. It's a shame that Poison Heal can't be abused as much as we wanted it to be, but Gliscor's old jobs still work great with all the new physical threats around. Resisting Fighting is great for him.

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Walrein gets 12.5% of recovery each turn (ice body is 6% recovery), so a subprotect gliscor with a TO would be like walrein in the hail

More importantly, hail damages everything except ice-types, which you'll rarely see, while ground, rock & steel, which are more numerous take no damage from sandstorm. Gliscor also has crippling 4x ice weakness and is not as specially defensive (75/125/75 vs 110/90/90)

Gliscor@Toxic Orb
Impish, 120 SDef 244 HP 48 Spe 96 Def
Poison Heal
Protect
Fling
Acrobat
Earthquake

use protect (Or EQ/Acrobat when predicting switch/set-up) first turn to let the poison activate. Then use Fling ASAP, Then youve got a 110 BP STAB move and 100 BP STAB move, while still gaining 1/8 HP each turn

Thanks to Jaroda for EV spread

Well if you read my post just a little bit up you'd see mine. 244 HP EVs give you the highest HP possible that's divisible by 8. I found max defense was a little uneccesary as most people try to use special attacks on you, so I threw some into SpD to get it over 200.

Toxic Orb and Poison Heal really helps with the SD set. While posioned, it can't be burned which ends a lot of sweeps for non-guts physical attackers. Although Facade maybe tempting to use, it's coverage is underwhelming so EdgeQuake is generally the better option.
But in defensive sets, it's best to just go Sandveil with Roost

I think stallbreaker would be very viable with a Taunt-Earthquake-Trick-U-turn setup. It would allow him to gain leftovers recovery from pokes like Blissey along with his own Poison Heal, with the additional effect of constantly poisoning the blob, rendering Natural Cure useless

BurningMan

fueled by beer
I think stallbreaker would be very viable with a Taunt-Earthquake-Trick-U-turn setup. It would allow him to gain leftovers recovery from pokes like Blissey along with his own Poison Heal, with the additional effect of constantly poisoning the blob, rendering Natural Cure useless
sadly gliscor doesn't learns trick

Gliscor doesn't learn Trick.

Toxic Orb and Poison Heal really helps with the SD set. While posioned, it can't be burned which ends a lot of sweeps for non-guts physical attackers. Although Facade maybe tempting to use, it's coverage is underwhelming so EdgeQuake is generally the better option.
But in defensive sets, it's best to just go Sandveil with Roost
Well Hyper Cutter does help Gliscor from random Intimidates, but Poison Heal could help a defensive SD scor to avoid status while SDing and recovering health a bit (though lack of Roost also hurts hear).

It still learns fling so not a very big problem.But getting that leftovers from un suspecting walls is always helpful.
But its not a total loss i suppose.

It still learns fling so not a very big problem.But getting that leftovers from un suspecting walls is always helpful.
But its not a total loss i suppose.
That's why he's got Acrobat.
Even if flying doesn't provide much coverage, it hits harder than Earthquake against something that takes neutral damage from both.

Well it's super gimmicky, but you could use Toxic Orb to get poisoned, Fling it afterwards to poison, and then finally use Thief to steal some Leftovers, which every single team carries.

Gliscor@Toxic Orb
Careful
252 HP/ 252 SpD
Fling
Thief
Acrobat
Earthquake

Now THERE'S a bitch to take down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)