Weather Wars, Rain vs Sand!

Hey this is my first warstory, it’s in the dream world tier on Pokemon Online’s server. Just for the sake of keeping track, since there’s a constant battle over the weather, I’m going to write when the weather changes, but I’m not going to have the weather messages at the end of every turn, and sandstorm damage won’t be written in. I will show leftovers recovery and life orb damage only on the first turn that I see it and from then on it will be omitted. Also I didn’t ask my opponent if I could do this so I’m just going to name him X. My commentary in blue. Hope you enjoy!

My team:
Hippowdon, Shandera, Ononokusu, Gyarados, Rankurusu and Doryuuzu.

Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause and Species Clause

X sent out Politoed!
bludhoundz sent out Hippowdon!
The foe's Politoed's Drizzle made it rain!
Hippowdon's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!

vs

So before either of us even makes a move I already have an idea of what this battle is going to be like: a fight over controlling the weather. Politoed has an advantage over Hippowdon, but at least rain isn’t up so he can’t take me out in one hit unless he’s running specs. I decide to go for Stealth Rock because I figure Politoed is probably going to be coming back in a few times to keep the rain up.

Start of turn 1
X called Politoed back!
X sent out Nattorei!

vs

Hippowdon used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around X's team!

He brings a Nattorei, most likely to set up his own hazards. I don’t know what item he has so I don’t want to try to trap him with Shandera yet in case he is holding a Shed Shell. Also Shandera is very vital if I want to trap a low HP Politoed and kill him off so I can win the weather war, so I’ll keep him hidden now. His Nattorei can’t do much to me but I can’t do anything back to him so I’m just going to Roar him out.

Start of turn 2
The foe's Nattorei used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around bludhoundz's team!

Hippowdon used Roar!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Zapdos!
The foe's Zapdos was dragged out!

vs

The foe's Zapdos restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Okay he sets up rocks of his own, but that doesn’t bother me too much. Zapdos often carries HP Ice or Grass, but he’s holding leftovers so he can’t take out my Hippow in one hit. I decide to scout his team further with Roar. Thinking back, this could have been risky had I roared his Politoed back in.

Start of turn 3
The foe's Zapdos used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
Hippowdon lost 206 HP! (49% of its health)

Hippowdon used Roar!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Nattorei!
The foe's Nattorei was dragged out!

vs

Hippowdon restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Well this is not a great matchup for me. He most likely carries Spikes and will try to set them up. I decide it’s best to switch out, I don’t want to try my luck and Roar Politoed back in. Rankurusu can take anything Nattorei can dish out and hit back hard with Focus Blast.

Start of turn 4
bludhoundz called Hippowdon back!
bludhoundz sent out Rankurusu!

vs

The foe's Nattorei used Power Whip!
Rankurusu lost 115 HP! (27% of its health)

Rankurusu restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

My Rankurusu is a physically bulky variant specifically built for taking the fighting priority hits aimed at Doryuuzu. I know Focus Blast can do a fair chunk to Nattorei so I decide to fire one off, hopefully I can 2hko.

Start of turn 5

vs

Rankurusu used Focus Blast!
It's super effective!
The foe's Nattorei lost 45% of its health!

The foe's Nattorei used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of bludhoundz's team!

After seeing no leftovers recovery from his Nattorei I figure it’s running Shed Shell. Good thing I didn’t bring in Shandera before. Right now he’s sitting at 48% so I choose Psychic since I’m not sure I can 2hko, and it might hit a possible switchin harder.

Start of turn 6

vs

Rankurusu used Psychic!
It's not very effective...
The foe's Nattorei lost 13% of its health!

He stayed in, I guess either realizing that it’s unlikely that I’ll KO him with FB or hoping for a miss. At this point I know Focus Blast will take him out.

Start of turn 7

vs

The attack of Rankurusu missed!

Crud, it missed. Well it’s bound to happen some of the time. He already has all three layers of Spikes up so he won’t be doing any more setting up. I choose Focus Blast just because I want to take this thing out now, even though I know he will probably switch.

Start of turn 8
X called Nattorei back!
X sent out Zapdos!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Zapdos!

vs

The attack of Rankurusu missed!

In comes Zapdos, now sitting at 50% thanks to coming in on SR twice. My Rankurusu doesn’t like to take special hits very much so I protect to scout his move.

Start of turn 9

vs

Rankurusu used Protect!
Rankurusu protected itself!

The foe's Zapdos used Roost!
The foe's Zapdos landed on the ground!
The foe's Zapdos regained health!

Ugh, worst case scenario, I let him heal up. That was definitely a misplay, I should have used Psychic or switched out. Now I’m just going to use Psychic to see what kind of damage it’ll do to his Zapdos.

Start of turn 10
Rankurusu used Psychic!
The foe's Zapdos lost 36% of its health!

The foe's Zapdos used Roar!
Pointed stones dug into Gyarados!
Gyarados was dragged out!
Gyarados intimidates the foe's Zapdos!
The foe's Zapdos's Attack fell!

vs

Gyarados restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

So he Roars me out to Gyarados who won’t enjoy taking Zapdos’ electric STAB moves. I decide against going to Hippowdon since he’ll take massive damage from entry hazards even though he is immune to Thunderbolt. I go to Doryuuzu because he’s also immune, and can threaten a KO with Rock Slide.

Start of turn 11
bludhoundz called Gyarados back!
bludhoundz sent out Doryuuzu!
Pointed stones dug into Doryuuzu!

Doryuuzu is floating on a balloon!
X called Zapdos back!
X sent out Vaporeon!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Vaporeon!

vs

The foe's Vaporeon restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

He switched out his Zapdos. Weird… maybe he doesn’t run any speed EVs and was afraid of Stone Edge? Either that or he predicted the switch. Anyway, Vaporeon is a bad matchup for Doryuuzu, it’s too healthy for me to take it out in one hit and it isn’t safe to set up a Swords Dance. I don’t have much that likes taking water moves, and my Gyarados isn’t a great matchup for his Vaporeon. Either way this isn’t a great matchup for me either, so I go to my other water resist, Ononokusu.

Start of turn 12
bludhoundz called Doryuuzu back!
bludhoundz sent out Ononokusu!
Pointed stones dug into Ononokusu!
Ononokusu is hurt by spikes!

vs

Ononokusu has Mold Breaker!
The foe's Vaporeon used Boil Over!
Ononokusu lost 72 HP! (24% of its health)
Ononokusu was burned!

Well I knew this was a distinct possibility, and this really sucks because my Onono is a Choice Band variant, Adamant with max attack EVs. Well the only dragon resist I’ve seen so far is Nattorei and he’s on low HP, and my dragon is pretty useless at this point so I decide to fire off an Outrage, which should do OK damage. Typically risky but as of now I’ve seen nothing that can set up on me. I don’t care much about keeping him alive any more either.

Start of turn 13

vs

Ononokusu used Outrage!
The foe's Vaporeon lost 70% of its health!

The foe's Vaporeon used Wish!

That did more than I was expecting, but his Vaporeon still lives with 17% of its HP, so sandstorm won’t finish it off. He’s probably going to Protect now but there isn’t anything I can do except die to the burn and sandstorm.

Start of turn 14

vs

The foe's Vaporeon used Protect!
The foe's Vaporeon protected itself!

Ononokusu used Outrage!
The foe's Vaporeon protected itself!

Ononokusu fainted!

5-6

First KO of the match goes to him, but now that we’ve seen a fair amount of each other’s teams KOs will start to come faster, especially if he gets his rain up. I bring in Rankurusu who won’t mind being Toxic’d or burned by Boiling Water thanks to Magic Guard. He’s also fairly bulky in general and I can recover off any damage, so maybe I can scout what moves this Vaporeon has.

Start of turn 15

vs

The foe's Vaporeon used Wish!

Rankurusu used Psychic!
The foe's Vaporeon lost 35% of its health!

Well I’m not going to be taking him out any time soon with Psychic, and he’s about to recover a lot of HP back with Wish. I switch to Gyarados, even though it isn’t a particularly good matchup for me. Maybe I can taunt him since most Vaporeon only run one attacking move. I don’t have many guys who can heavily dent Vaporeon so I’m hoping to do some damage with Gyarados for someone else to clean up.

Start of turn 16
X called Vaporeon back!
X sent out Politoed!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Politoed!

bludhoundz called Rankurusu back!
bludhoundz sent out Gyarados!
Pointed stones dug into Gyarados!

vs

Ugh. He brings in Politoed, and now he has the weather advantage on his side again. The only upside to this is that my Gyarados actually gains HP from his leftovers now. I decide to use Stone Edge to get some damage on his Politoed and maybe see what kind of set he is running. If I can get him low enough while sacrificing my Gyarados I then have a free switchin to my Choice Scarfed Shadow Tag Shandera and finish him off with Energy Ball, essentially giving me the weather back for the rest of the game.

Start of turn 17

vs

Gyarados used Stone Edge!
The foe's Politoed lost 30% of its health!

The foe's Politoed used Encore!
Gyarados received an encore!

He uses Encore maybe hoping I went for the Dragon Dance. I’m glad I didn’t, but it was too early for a sweep anyway since he has rain up. I continue firing off Stone Edges.

Start of turn 18

vs

The foe's Politoed lost 32% of its health!

The foe's Politoed used Boil Over!
Gyarados lost 73 HP! (19% of its health)

I have him below 50% HP now so Shandera should be able to take him out with an Energy Ball, but I can’t switch him in or Boiling Water will KO me. I decide to stay in and try to continue to weaken his Politoed.

Start of turn 19
X called Politoed back!
X sent out Nattorei!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Nattorei!

vs

A critical hit!
The foe's Nattorei lost 23% of its health!

Gyarados's Encore ended!

I don’t think the crit mattered, as his Nattorei would only have 16% of its HP left, and STAB Waterfall in the rain should be able to take him out even when resisted. Either way I did get the crit, and I’m going to Waterfall to finish him now.

Start of turn 20

vs

Gyarados used Waterfall!
The foe's Nattorei lost 5% of its health!
Gyarados is hurt by the foe's Nattorei's Rugged Helmet!
The foe's Nattorei's Iron Barbs hurts Gyarados
The foe's Nattorei fainted!

X sent out Zapdos!

5-5

My Gyarados isn’t at the greatest HP – he’s taken 2 SR hits and after taking a Boiling Water the leftovers recovery has been pretty much nullified. I’m going to leave him in here and just go for the Stone Edge. Hell, it might pay off if he overpredicts and goes for a Roar.

Start of turn 21

vs

It's super effective!
The foe's Zapdos lost 39% of its health!
The foe's Zapdos fainted!

X sent out Kingdra!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Kingdra!

5-4

I don’t know if he used Roar predicting the switch or if he just has no speed investment (his Zapdos did switch out against my Gyarados before), but I net a KO when I thought my Gyarados would be going down. With rain up, his Kingdra outspeeds my whole team and has the ability to OHKO any member if he selects the right move. I had already written off my Gyarados as fainted, so I don’t really have a better play than to sacrifice him here.

Start of turn 22

vs

The foe's Kingdra used Draco Meteor!
Gyarados lost 144 HP! (38% of its health)
The foe's Kingdra's Sp. Att. sharply fell!
Gyarados fainted!
The foe's Kingdra is hurt by its Life Orb!

Pointed stones dug into Hippowdon!
Hippowdon is hurt by spikes!

Hippowdon's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!

vs

4-4

I take the free switch in to get weather back on my side, so his Kingdra doesn’t outspeed my whole team any more, and Doryuuzu is the fastest guy again. Also he doesn’t get the benefit of double STAB. I don’t want to take any water moves so I go into Rankurusu, who can take special hits from a -2 Kingdra and is built to take physical attacks anyway. Maybe I can stall him out with sandstorm and life orb damage.

Start of turn 23
bludhoundz called Hippowdon back!

vs

The foe's Kingdra used Waterfall!
Rankurusu lost 138 HP! (32% of its health)

I take that pretty nicely and I’m sitting well above half HP. I don’t think outrage can 2HKO me especially considering I can protect between turns for extra leftovers recovery, so I decide to use Psychic and try to kill this thing.

Start of turn 24

vs

The foe's Kingdra used Outrage!
A critical hit!
Rankurusu lost 312 HP! (73% of its health)
Rankurusu fainted!

bludhoundz sent out Doryuuzu!
Pointed stones dug into Doryuuzu!

Doryuuzu is floating on a balloon!

3-4

Well, fuck. Even if I had gone for the safe play and used Recover he still would have taken me out on that crit. I probably would have been able to take him out, but all I can do now is play on. I bring in Doryuuzu and decide to go for the Earthquake since it’s my strongest move and I feel comfortable that I can take him out.

Start of turn 25

vs

Doryuuzu used Earthquake!
The foe's Kingdra lost 45% of its health!
The foe's Kingdra fainted!

X sent out Politoed!

vs

3-3

Yeah, he makes the right move and changes the weather back with his free switch in. His Politoed is under 50% HP right now, so I decide to go for the KO, as I know I still outspeed because he isn’t Scarfed.

Start of turn 26
X called Politoed back!
X sent out Vaporeon!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Vaporeon!

vs

Doryuuzu used Earthquake!
The foe's Vaporeon lost 19% of its health!
The foe's Vaporeon fainted!

X sent out Abagoora!
Pointed stones dug into the foe's Abagoora!

3-2

He brings in this guy. I don’t know a whole lot about Abagoora other than it learns Shell Smash and has good physical defense. I do know he is weak to Earthquake, but I’m not sure if he has Swift Swim or not. I decide to take a chance and use Earthquake.

Start of turn 27

vs

The foe's Abagoora used Waterfall!
It's super effective!
Doryuuzu lost 344 HP! (93% of its health)
Doryuuzu fainted!
The foe's Abagoora is hurt by its Life Orb!

Rain continues to fall!
Pointed stones dug into Hippowdon!
Hippowdon is hurt by spikes!
Hippowdon fainted!

bludhoundz sent out Shandera!
Pointed stones dug into Shandera!
Shandera is hurt by spikes!

1-2

Shit, I don’t have a water resist left and Hippow couldn’t survive the entry hazards to reduce the power of his water type moves or lower his speed back to normal levels. All I can do is hope that with Choice Scarf my Shandera can outspeed him. I know that Energy Ball can OHKO both of his pokemon, so it all comes down to who is faster.

Start of turn 28

vs

Shandera used Energy Ball!
It's super effective!
The foe's Abagoora lost 77% of its health!
The foe's Abagoora fainted!

X sent out Politoed!

1-1

YES! I am faster and now I’m going to outspeed his Politoed and take the game.

Start of turn 29

vs

Shandera used Energy Ball!
It's super effective!
The foe's Politoed lost 23% of its health!
The foe's Politoed fainted!

1-0

bludhoundz won the battle!

Props and Slops:

Slops:
My Ononokusu, for doing pretty much nothing except taking one hit.
His Zapdos, for not making much of an impact either.
My Rankurusu, for not being able to do his job against Kingdra, and letting Nattorei get all three layers of Spikes up.

Props:
My Gyarados for netting 2 KOs!
His Kingdra, for eliminating some of my bulkier guys and opening up the way for his Abagoora.
His Nattorei, which got up all his entry hazards
My Doryuuzu, for almost sweeping him at the end and netting some key KOs.
My Shandera, for pulling out the Scarf sweep in the end.

MVP: Shandera, after all he did win it.

I think your MVP is Gyara
He weaken toed, and get 2 kill after giving type advantage during the match. Or your ranky.
Standard warstory tbh

Just a nitpick.......

The battle was 2-0, not 1-0. You still had Hippowdon.
He said in commentary that his hippowdon was too weak to even survive the switch in due to hazards. So, the only real viable pokemon he had to use was shanderra as hippo was basically dead.

He said in commentary that his hippowdon was too weak to even survive the switch in due to hazards. So, the only real viable pokemon he had to use was shanderra as hippo was basically dead.
Like I said, it was a nitpick.

Actually, he sacrificed hippo to change the weather
Ah, my bad. I didn't see a turn where Hippo died, so I assumed it was alive.
But in the log it died to entry hazards.

That should be more visible. I completely missed it my first time through.

apparently the guy above me is the only other one who got it.

Nice story, but your opponent was an idiot not to aqua jet as it was pretty much obvious you'd outspeed.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
...What's the point of posting a one-line reply along with a score? Not only does it sound really rude, but it's not going to help the warstory writer.

EDIT -- And technically I help him telling you people to stop!

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Typically I would post something constructive but I just didn't have the effort this time. I deigned to post the first time I read it but I figured I might as well throw my two cents in. Although your post doesn't help him too much either.

Back on the warstory, the parts I didn't like: Not knowing Abagoora has Swift Swim. I know that it is early in the metagame and not every threat is always known yet but Shell Break users are dangerous enough that they need to be known. Also the play with Rankurusu. I won't say anything on this since you clearly recognised that it could have been played better but that is a spot to work on given that the majority of Zapdos will carry Roost.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Not a bad warstory, your commentary was excellent and the battle itself wasnt bad. The only thing I think you could have done better is double switch more early game to prevent Nattorei from spiking all over you. You had a huge team advantage due to his lack of rain abusers and you almost lost due to this. You played the endgame very well though, sacrificing Doryuuzu to prevent a Shell Break and set up a Shandy sweep. All in all one of the better battles I've seen on here. Also, really nice Rankurusu, what set and evs?

Ah, my bad. I didn't see a turn where Hippo died, so I assumed it was alive.
But in the log it died to entry hazards.

That should be more visible. I completely missed it my first time through.
Yeah you're right.

Typically I would post something constructive but I just didn't have the effort this time. I deigned to post the first time I read it but I figured I might as well throw my two cents in. Although your post doesn't help him too much either.

Back on the warstory, the parts I didn't like: Not knowing Abagoora has Swift Swim. I know that it is early in the metagame and not every threat is always known yet but Shell Break users are dangerous enough that they need to be known. Also the play with Rankurusu. I won't say anything on this since you clearly recognised that it could have been played better but that is a spot to work on given that the majority of Zapdos will carry Roost.
Not knowing Abagoora has Swift Swim is kind of stupid on my part, but the play I made was still the best shot I had. Switching would have lost me the game for sure.

The Rankurusu move was admittedly quite bad.

Not a bad warstory, your commentary was excellent and the battle itself wasnt bad. The only thing I think you could have done better is double switch more early game to prevent Nattorei from spiking all over you. You had a huge team advantage due to his lack of rain abusers and you almost lost due to this. You played the endgame very well though, sacrificing Doryuuzu to prevent a Shell Break and set up a Shandy sweep. All in all one of the better battles I've seen on here. Also, really nice Rankurusu, what set and evs?
The Rankurusu set:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3148927&postcount=90

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll definitely consider it if I do decide to write another Warstory.

It was a pretty nice warstory.The battle was meh but i liked your comments even thuogh there quite short explained your thought process quite well.You did make some silly moves (Protect i mean really >_>) but you came back pretty well.
7/10.

i like these kinds of warstories (weather teams rock). Pretty good battle, nice job of explaining your thought process. I personally know how hard it is to win weather wars.

9/10

To be honest the warstory was only okay at best and also you don't have to change it but in my opinion gyaraods did more this match than shandera

Nice battle, battles between weather teams are entertaining. The commentary was good, but im not sure id call Shandera the Mvp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)