Espeon

I'm not sure if this has been said before, but I'd say Magic Mirror Espeon and Eccentric Ditto would make a great combo. Lead with Eccentric Ditto and you find out the opposing lead's moves. If they look lead-like enough, switch to Espeon and Magic Mirror does the rest.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've found Reflect to be a decent option on Espeon, helping it deal with Tyranitar and Scizor while providing team support:

Espeon@Leftovers
Timid; 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 Spe

- Reflect
- HP Fire
- Baton Pass / Protect
- Psychic / Psycho Shock

Espeon likes its speed, let's be real. The speed EVs thus allow it to outpace the horse trio + Infernape, hitting them with a STAB Psychic attack. 4 EVs are moved from HP to Speed to account for HP Fire, with the leftovers thrown into defense.

Reflect is a great move to use when Espeon is first sent out. Behind the screen, it takes

252 Atk Jolly Tyranitar Crunch vs. 248 / 16 +2 Espeon: (59.88% - 70.66%)
252 Atk Jolly Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 248 / 16 +2 Espeon: (30.54% - 35.93%)
252 Atk Adamant CBScizor BP vs. 248 / 16 +2 Espeon: (35.93% - 42.51%)
252 Atk Adamant CBScizor Pursuit vs. 248 / 16 +2 Espeon: (47.90% - 56.89%)

Basically, Espeon is sheltered from any attack these trappers can use against it. With Baton Pass, you survive ScarfTar's Crunch and escape, and avoid even a 2HKO from Scizor's Bullet Punch. Other Pursuit users, being slower, are not an issue.

Meanwhile, Espeon has reflected their hazards and is threatening to attack with HP Fire / Psychic. HP Fire lets it do something to Natty / Forry / Skarm, and Psychic STAB is useful for hitting the likes of Kerudio and Rohbshin. Psychic is better for Rohbshin, Breloom, Infernape, Terakion, and unboosted Kerudio, while boosted Kerudio, Tentacruel, and Virizion (rare, I know) take more from Psycho Shock; I would go with the former.

I've been using a set of:

Espeon @ Leftovers
Timid - Magic Mirror
248 HP / 64 Def / 196 Spe
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power Fire

to quite good success on a stall team. It's so great being able to come in on basically any attack from Forretress / Nattorei and render them basically useless... opposing entry hazards tend to be a huge threat to defensive teams that switch around a lot, and Espeon just nullifies it almost completely. I still pack a spinner, but it gets put under a lot less pressure with Espeon waiting in the wings. Espeon also packs a good deal of speed and helps deal with threatening Pokemon like Roobushin well.

Completely agree with you :)

I've been using Modest Scarf Espeon which served me well, especially against the likes of Shanderaa who try to come in and get 2HKO'd..

Tyranitar does remain an issue.

On the defensive set, I'd highly suggest using Psycho Shock, though. If the speed is targetted at base 108s. You'll want Shock to hit the fighting/grass type on its weaker physical defense, because it seems to be the most popular of the bunch these days, aside from my little pwny, who you want to hit on the physical side anyway because of the possible calm minds it usually sets up.

It does get issues with Roobushin like this, but lets be honest, since most of those are max SpD, you won't be surviving an encounter without max SpA.

^I've found Terakion to be much more common than Virizion (and it takes slightly more from Psychic due to higher BP of the move), and, like you said, Psychic helps against Roobushin. Either one is viable, it depends on what your team needs help with more. I find that Cobalon and Virizion are much less offensively threatening than the other two.

I saw on the dream world release thread that apparently females have been showing up more frequently (an update or something?) which hopefully means they'll be access to female Espeon's with Magic Mirror in the future if Eevee becomes available through something other than the Japanese event. In the meantime a male one is still promising even though it does suffer from a somewhat hindered move set.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
^I've found Terakion to be much more common than Virizion (and it takes slightly more from Psychic due to higher BP of the move), and, like you said, Psychic helps against Roobushin. Either one is viable, it depends on what your team needs help with more. I find that Cobalon and Virizion are much less offensively threatening than the other two.
I would always use pscho shock on this set as Terakion is almost always played with Sand Support and Birjion is now much more common (may change with the new Rain nerf). Roobushin isn't that much of an issue because i think it would be an 2HKO anyways even with the Def boost (can't do calcs because Psycho shock is glitched on my calculator :/). Infernape shouldn't be that much of an issue as i doubt it would survive anything you throw at it and can't KO back outside of CB Flare Blitz and Breloom sits in the same boat . Tentacruel is pretty common on Rain Teams and is hit much harder with Psycho Shock.
Other bigger Issues are that you hit Physical Tanks like Gliscor, Hippo on their stronger defense though you gain an edge against Blissey (but i don't know if you could threaten to 2HKO).

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just edit the stats with the Smogon damage calculater. Change Machamp's stats to Roopushin's, give Espeon 135 base Att, and calculate a base 80 physical Psychic move on a +1 Roopushin.

Espeon absolutely wrecks in Ubers. Leads like Deoxys are 100% shut down by it, Darkrai can be crippled with his own signature move (Espy has to be careful of Dark Pulses, but...), and it can carry Grass Knot to deal with Groudon and Kyogre and friends, plus stuff like HP Fire for Nattorei/Ferrothorn. Obviously it's fragile and not meant to take hits, but it's fantastic for screwing with stall teams.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Just edit the stats with the Smogon damage calculater. Change Machamp's stats to Roopushin's, give Espeon 135 base Att, and calculate a base 80 physical Psychic move on a +1 Roopushin.
Well i did this and you fail to 2HKO if he has a boost (checked for 124 HP Roob, as he usually runs some SDef investment, and 0 SpA Espeon). You also will never 2HKo Blissey after lefties wich is sad.

The loss of Baton Pass is a severe blow to Espeon, as it is now forced to run Reflect or take a full powered pursuit as it switches out. Hopefully Eevee is eventually released, or DW Ditto.

so would someone kindly explain what does this ability does in detail since i usually have to go digging for new ability details, serebii never has much to say about them.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
so would someone kindly explain what does this ability does in detail since i usually have to go digging for new ability details, serebii never has much to say about them.
Basically, if the opponent uses any entry hazards, status moves, Leech Seed, Taunt, pretty much anything that isn't an attacking or defensive move, it gets reflected back at them.
whats the best base power for hp fire with 31 speed ivs (if it's possible)?
Not possible. Also, I think you may have posted in the wrong thread.

na i was just reading the hp fire talk on page 7 and wanted to see if you could speed tie with other 110s even if it meant having a weaker hp fire

I really like using this as a BP receiver, since it can easily reflect phazing and the like, and also BP to another pokemon too

Having both used Espeon / Xatu and faced many, many teams with Espeon on the PO server I have some observations that I'd like to share.

First off, Espeon usage drastically decreases as you go up the player rankings list. At the moment I'm in the top 50 (so high 1300s, low 1400s) on the PO server and, to be brutally honest, very few of the high ranked players use Espeon. I'm not sure how to explain it, unfortunately, but I think that it has to do with Espeon, as a pure Psychic type, just not fitting into the sorts of teams you'd see in the upper levels. Your basic sand offense doesn't need it, rain offense doesn't need it, sand defense has better options, other weather types might consider it but they're not really viable (sun is barely viable but often Xatu works better due to the ground immunity). Stall can use it but it doesn't need it and direct offense is out of style thanks to the large amount of revenge killers and Ditto.

Other than the decrease in usage, I'd also like to point out that any Espeon I _do_ see has absolutely no synergy with the team. Like, at all. And I understand that it's very hard to fit a pure Psychic type on a team nowadays but like it's as if people just add in Espeon because they need a 6th Pokemon and just decided "hey I think my team is weak to sr, better use espeon!"

And, on a final note, usually I end up setting my entry hazard(s) anyway so it's really just a matter of outwitting the Espeon until it dies or, and this is more likely, just plowing through it since Psychic is not a good attacking type and Espeon is going to rely on using a few obvious / low power moves.

tl;dr I don't think this Pokemon actually accomplishes much, but that may be because of how it's being used

Having both used Espeon / Xatu and faced many, many teams with Espeon on the PO server I have some observations that I'd like to share.
I pretty much have to agree with everything you say, though admittedly I am not that high on the ladder so cannot comment on usage. Whenever facing an Espeon with my most common team (Sun) I simply Volt Change out of it from Forry into something like Mebukijika who can easily OHKO it or force it out while grabbing a SD. It really isn't hard to eliminate Espy given its frailty, and something with more life which can spin hazards away is often more valuable (Tentacruel, Starmie, etc). I think it's most valuable on BP teams given it can reflect phazing and taunts, along with possibly problematic status, but for ridding yourself of hazards it's often better to use a MH poke in conjunction with a spinner as they are far more reliable and not as prediction reliant given that several spinners can easily take on the common blockers.

I pretty much have to agree with everything you say, though admittedly I am not that high on the ladder so cannot comment on usage. Whenever facing an Espeon with my most common team (Sun) I simply Volt Change out of it from Forry into something like Mebukijika who can easily OHKO it or force it out while grabbing a SD. It really isn't hard to eliminate Espy given its frailty, and something with more life which can spin hazards away is often more valuable (Tentacruel, Starmie, etc). I think it's most valuable on BP teams given it can reflect phazing and taunts, along with possibly problematic status, but for ridding yourself of hazards it's often better to use a MH poke in conjunction with a spinner as they are far more reliable and not as prediction reliant given that several spinners can easily take on the common blockers.
Magic mirror is currently illegal with baton pass, basically making it pretty much not viable on baton pass teams. Baton pass is an eevee only level up move while DW eevee isn't out and all DW espeon are male, not allowing you to breed for one with the correct ability.

Magic mirror is currently illegal with baton pass, basically making it pretty much not viable on baton pass teams. Baton pass is an eevee only level up move while DW eevee isn't out and all DW espeon are male, not allowing you to breed for one with the correct ability.
Ah of course, I always forget that (cries about lack of SD passing Chlorophyll Leafeon). In that case Espy is even more devalued until it does get BP, since it's not the most reliable hazard preventer and is entirely prediction reliant.

It was fantastic before team preview. Switching into SR or Spikes leads was so much fun. That isn't really viable anymore though. Espeon is best against stall teams. Many common annoyers can't touch it and this allows you to either set up with CM or dual screens for your team. Against almost all other teams though, it's typing and offensive stats don't support it's abilitiy. You really want to play it like a bulky set up user, but it isn't bulky by any definition. If Umbreon had gotten this ability on the other hand... holy crap.

Ah of course, I always forget that (cries about lack of SD passing Chlorophyll Leafeon). In that case Espy is even more devalued until it does get BP, since it's not the most reliable hazard preventer and is entirely prediction reliant.
Espeon does get Baton Pass. Since DW Eevee is released all you have to do is level it up enough so that it learns Baton Pass and then evolve it. EGG MOVES are illegal on all forms of DW Eeveelutions (like Wish). Which means no Assist Power on Espeon :(.

EDIt: It says DW Eevee is released in the released DW pokemon thread btw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)