Gengar

Giga Drain got a buff, but I still don't think it's worth using not boosted anyways. Evil Eye and Venom Shock are quite powerful with toxic spikes. Brelooms aren't much of a problem anymore since many have Technician and get shocked with venom. Since it was noted before how Disable forces switches, this could get more Pokemon poisoned, and each time they come back in they immediately take 1/16 or 1/8 of their health while Gengar was using Slack Off with a relaxed nature. Maybe they take more if more hazards are up.

Having used Disable on Gengar, Protect is indeed more useful to preserve your health. His fragility to attacks isn't really the issue, but hazards, SS, LO and Sub all possibly taking their toll on him really wears him down quick even when not being hit by attacks. Sub however is better for Pain Splitting stuff to low health, so if using both PS and Disable, its a matter of choice.
I tried Protect, but it only worked once as a surprise gimmick, then my opponents just took advantadge of obvious Protects. For example, Substitute will always beat and set up on any Randorosu as long as you come in on anything else than Stone Edge or Rock Polish, while Protect is just set-up fodder for any smart opponent.

However, SubDisable Gengar with Lefties has been amazing so far, both as a sweeper and a team player, but I think it needs a team built for it. Entry hazards are a must-have, as he can both spin-block then set up on (Starmie says most) spinners, and force many switches. Setting up on even Guts Roobushin is also great for any team using Toxic Spikes. Even when facing something that can still hurt it after being disabled, a Stabless pokemon is as much of a set-up fodder as an encored one.

Sandstream does hurt its durability though, but as long as you have something that can take advantadge of TTar and deal with Dory (hint : Roobushin), offensive sand shouldn't give you too much trouble, since you will always get a free sub and kill something as they try to use Randorosu.

Gengar blasts through teams by himself, if used properly.

I am using wide lens with, hypnosis, sub, shadow ball and focus blast. Once it gets a poke asleep, then he can setup a free sub and wreck whatever that comes in. He usually nets 2-3 kills per game, unless hypnosis or focus blast missed.

elDino

Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gengar is still awesome this gen, I've used the SubSplit set that was so popular in Gen 4 to great success, it owns a whole bunch of things. It also has some great pairing with Terakion, the rock fighting bull thing. They make a very potent offensive duo and they have good synergy together. Gengar also brings in dark attacks to give Terakion an attack boost and also usually a free set up. It's pretty awesome as they each own each others counters.

I think Gengar has received little competition from the Ghosts of 5th gen, however I don;t know how suited he is for this metagame. Who knows? I believe he will always see use, being the fastest Ghost with a nice movepool and great power with a life orb

Gengar doesn't get much, and doesn't need much. Its still the fastest ghost out there, packing an amazing special attack stat. The variations on sub-gar still make it one of the best lures in the game, and it has a number of ways to punish an opponent for switching into a sub. It still 1hkos scisor with HP fire and most Ttars with LO Focus blast, opening up chances for other special attackers to sweep. It has its niche and there just isnt anything else to challenge it. There are bulkier ghosts, walling ghosts, even harder hitting ghosts, but none that have his unique blend of immunities, offense, speed, and utility.

We will be seeing him for another few years yet. .

It would really take something serious to knock Gengar off his perch to be honest. He hasn't gained a lot this generation, but really - did he actually need it?

A solid choice in OU since Gen 1, I can't see that changing any time soon.
This X Infinity.

Gengar has been an incredible special sweeper ever since he was introduced, with superb moves at his disposal like Shadow ball, Thunderbolt, The new buffed Giga drain, Focus blast, Hidden Power, Will-O-Wisp, Hypnosis... The list goes on.

Evil Eye might be a move to watch out for. A move with a potential 150 BP (after STAB and status) is neat. That goes for venom shock too, as someone mentioned gets 195 BP

This X Infinity.

Gengar has been an incredible special sweeper ever since he was introduced, with superb moves at his disposal like Shadow ball, Thunderbolt, The new buffed Giga drain, Focus blast, Hidden Power, Will-O-Wisp, Hypnosis... The list goes on.

Evil Eye might be a move to watch out for. A move with a potential 150 BP (after STAB and status) is neat. That goes for venom shock too, as someone mentioned gets 195 BP
^ I completely agree with this

Gengar has been and will forever shall be my favorite special sweeper

Well honestly Gengar got his competition last gen with azelf
but his ghost movepool can put him ahead
This gen is a lot slower
so gengar can come out on top

Gengar had Energy Ball all along but couldn't be bothered to run it. Giga Drain's ability to restore a sliver of health doesn't help Gengar in any way, since it's either trying to sweep or function as a revenge killer. 75 base power means if you're running Energy Ball, you might as well run Giga Drain, but nobody would want Energy Ball in the first place.

The biggest thing Gengar got this generation was probably the Disable buff, which lets it force switches and set-up on things like Surf/Mystery Sword Kerudio but idk it may end up only as a gimmick set.

while i never had sucess with gengar(gengar hates me. period) i must admit gengar is very powerful. Even with dory destroying speed, his plethora of moves, and typing make him stand out. (too bad hippo can wall sub split set to an extent)

Sub-Disable lets Gengar function as glue more than I ever thought it could. The set reliably gets a free sub on and forces out:

- All mono attackers
- All Roobushin
- Most Gliscor
- Psychic-FB Rankurusu
- Sub-SD Chomp/Landlos
- CB Scizor, if it comes in on your sub
- SubSeed Breloom

And anything it can't force out, it lets your team counter it with something that wouldn't be able to if it had its key attack. Using Disable this gen feels almost like playing with Encore last gen (now that Encore is no longer as potent).

I don't really get how the Sub/Disable and Sub/Split sets are supposed to work. I get that Sub/Split walls Blissey and Sub/Disable makes Conkeldurr turn tail and run, but for other pokemon...what? You Sub down, then you Pain Split, but they also hit you that turn so you probably die? Or what if they have two (or even three) moves that can hit you for the Disable set? Knowing it's a Gengar, wouldn't they just use the second move on the second turn to smack you real hard while you Disable the first move?

I don't really get how the Sub/Disable and Sub/Split sets are supposed to work. I get that Sub/Split walls Blissey and Sub/Disable makes Conkeldurr turn tail and run, but for other pokemon...what? You Sub down, then you Pain Split, but they also hit you that turn so you probably die? Or what if they have two (or even three) moves that can hit you for the Disable set? Knowing it's a Gengar, wouldn't they just use the second move on the second turn to smack you real hard while you Disable the first move?
1. Switch in Gengar on something that it scares out.

2. Use Sub as they switch in Blissey/Bulky poke

3. Use Pain Split/Disable as they break your substitute

4. Substitute again as they flee to a worse Gengar counter

So how does the Pain Split set work? It seems like it would only be good when you're up against someone who can't break your sub...

breh

強いだね
1. Switch in Gengar on something that it scares out.

2. Use Sub as they switch in Blissey/Bulky poke

3. Use Pain Split/Disable as they break your substitute

4. Substitute again as they flee to a worse Gengar counter
My idea of a gengar counter is Scizor, not a Blissey.

Pain Split is cool and all but nowhere near good this gen.

On a side note, why is gengar so damn overused on po?

Because its just so good, I use Gengar and pretty much always will. Its fast, it hurts, and has a massive array of moves supportive, and offensive
It is so versatile with the abiltiy to be suicide lead, to a late game LO sweeper, with scouting sets in between
Due to this awesome versatility it fits well on nearly all teams
In my opinion this is the best Special Oriented pokemon. Why?
Because its badass
Instead of asking why use it, ask why not use it

It got perish song :D And it has mean look.... See where this is going? I'm not sure if its a good idea to use it that way, but you CAN if you want too.

I think the only purpose for Pain Split was to beat Blissey and to get another oppurtunity at a sub
For example if you have a sub on at 1% health, you Pain Split as they destroy your Sub, then you can fire off a Life Orb Shadow Ball or anything else or Sub again
I never used Pain Split Gengar so I dont really know from experience

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)