Hail Stall

Hello, all! This is my first RMT, and I will be posting my (so far) successful hail stall team. The team focuses on using hail and poison, while taking advantage of some unique typings and abilities to systematically break down my opponent...sounds better when I put it that way, eh? My rating has been hovering around the upper-mid 1100s, but I recently broke the 1200 mark with a couple of changes. However, this team is obviously not perfect, and I hope that the wonderful Smogon community will be able to help. Without further ado, here is Hail Stall!

Abomasnow@Focus Sash
Snow Warning
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Adamant
- Protect
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer

Abomasnow is an absolute requirement for my team, as it sets up the ever useful hail. Ice types are much less common than ground/rock/steel types, so I decided that hail is the best residual damage one can find (at least weather wise). Abomasnow doesn't always lead, but I almost always put him up front for teams that don't have a weather starter. Protect buys a free turn of hail/poison damage, and for scouting. Ice Shard provides some crucial priority to the team, and allows Abomasnow to function well as a lead. Earthquake is mostly for fire types, especially Shandera, who usually falls after 2 turns of hail damage and one Earthquake. Wood Hammer OHKOs Politoed, and is an overall powerful attack. Focus Sash ensure I can KO whatever my opponent throws out there, and makes Abomasnow a surprisingly good answer to things like Deoxys and Shandera. The EVs are dumped into Attack and Speed. To make this clear: I don't know too much about where to put EVs, so I usually follow Smogon sets (sometimes adding some extra EVs in Speed to outspeed opposing same-speed Pokemon).

Problems: His attacks are resisted by a lot of Pokemon, and it would be nice to get some extra power behind his attacks. However, I'm hesitant to replace Focus Sash because his survivability isn't that great.

Gliscor@Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
252 HP/252 Spe/4 SpD
Impish
- Fling
- Acrobat
- Earthquake
- Protect

Gliscor is simply amazing. Poison Heal restores more health that hail takes away his typing and natural bulk makes him an answer to many key and prevalent threats in the current metagame. Fling means Gliscor can toxic something once he's done, and he can poison those nasty flying/levitating Pokemon that are immune to Toxic Spikes. Coincidentally, Acrobat doubles in power once the orb is gone, providing a good STAB. Earthquake does as well, but also provides great coverage. Protect is again present to stall. Gliscor is one of my favorite switch-ins, and he is definitely a team player.

Problems: None right now. Working out great!

Regice@Leftovers
Ice Body
204 HP/252 Def/44 Spe/8 SpD
Calm
- Subtitute
- Protect
- Toxic
- Blizzard

Regice is main reason why I made this team. With Leftovers, Ice Body, and a ridiculous defensive potential, Regice wants to stall out everything he sees. Substitute and Protect are for stalling, Toxic to get Fliers/Levitators, and Blizzard takes advantage of the Hail that Abomasnow. As my only Ice type (bar Abomasnow), Regice greatly benefits from the Hail through Ice Body, Blizzard, and residual damage stall. He is an absolute wall, and his EVs help. 204 gives him 352 HP, a nice number for Leftovers, Ice Body, and Substitute. 252 in Defense to make him more physically bulky, 44 Speed to out-speed Blissey, and the rest go in Special Defense. I tell you what, Regice has been an absolute boss, sponging up even super-effective hits like nothing.

Problems: I don't use Toxic too much, but I don't want conflicting statuses by replacing it with Thunder Wave or something. Maybe a coverage move? With only Blizzard, he can get out-stalled/set up on by steel types especially. However, I'm fairly confident his pros outweigh his cons.

Tentacruel@Leftovers
Liquid Ooze
252 HP/120 Def/136 SpD
Calm
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Surf
- Knock Off

Tentacruel is the greatest team player here, and provides extremely crucial support. Liquid Ooze counters Leech Seed, Drain Punch, and others that are starting to become common with Shayminn-S, Roobushin, etc. Rapid Spin helps Regice a LOT...besides, nothing here likes Spikes/Stealth Rock anyways. Toxic Spikes are amazingly useful for statusing everything that enters the battlefield (with some obvious exceptions). Surf is the token STAB move so I'm not completely set-up fodder. Knock Off is a very underrated move that removes the opponents item. It gets rid of Pre-Evolution Stones, Leftovers, and other important items that let me scout what the opponents set might be. Most underrated move in the game? I'm tempted to say Knock Off.

Problems: Maybe I'm not using it right, but it seems to die quickly. It goes in, sets up Toxic Spikes, and usually dies soon after. I would really like some more survivability, but I also understand that it will have to be used as death fodder in order to set up the ever important Toxic Spikes.

Burungeru@Leftovers
Water Absorb
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Bold
- Recover
- Protect
- Taunt
- Surf

Although I didn't originally have Burungeru on the team, it has proved itself invaluable in spinblocking/fighting and water immunity/taunter/so much else. Having it on a team with Tentacruel is unconventional, but the two actually work together quite well, holding very different niches on my team. For example, Burungeru is EVd to be physically bulky compared to Tentacruel. Burungeru also has Protect and Recover. When combined with Leftovers, this thing is an amazing staller. Taunt is amazing, as it doesn't let me or my partners get set up on, forcing opponents to attack, forcing switches, you name it and Taunt helps it out. Surf is the token STAB move. Burungeru and Gliscor seem to act as the glue of the team, and I couldn't be much happier with how well they have worked out thus far.

Problems: None right now.

Genosekuto@Choice Scarf
Download
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 SpD
Modest
- Bug Buzz
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Yes, yes, it's an all-out Special Attacking Genosekuto with a Choice Scarf; and I love it. He is my revenge killer, and my best answer to something like Rankurusu. Choice Scarf is obvious for out-speeding stuff, while Modest means he kills stuff faster. 4 SpD EVs are for forcing an Attack boost to opposing Genosekuto. Bug Buzz for Psychics, Thunderbolt for Gyarados and other bulky waters, Flamethrower for nasty Steels, and Ice Beam for everything else. I usually don't reveal him until late game, at which point I simply click the right move to sweep the last 2-3 Pokemon on my opponent's team. Truly amazing at what it does.

Problems: I would really like U-turn on there somewhere, but if I'm using him late game then U-turn doesn't serve a purpose other than telling my oppponent "I'm going to sweep you with Genosekuto after weakening his counters lol". I don't want to lose coverage moves, but I will if it's absolutely necessary.

Threats:

Once something is poisoned, it's usually not a problem, but there are some exceptions.

Rankurusu/Shinporaa

These things are terribly annoying because they are immune to hail and poison, have set-up moves, and can attack powerfully once they're done. As mentioned earlier, Genosekuto is usually my only answer. Maybe it would be nice to get a phazer in there?

Steel Types

Heatran especially, but Steel is a problem obviously due to their immunity to toxic spikes. Maybe a powerful fighting attack? I'm not really sure...

Opposing weather teams

This was somewhat made as an anti-weather team due to Abomasnow's unique ability, but other weather teams are still a problem. They all destroy the "Hail" part of my "Hail Stall" team, and provide powerful sweepers to dismantle the "Stall" part (Kingdra, Manaphy, Landlos, Doryuuzu, Venusaur, Charizard, etc.).

Lack of Stealth Rock/Spikes is also a problem. I originally had Skarmory and Blissey in place of Burungeru and Genosekuto, but neither was pulling their weight, so they were easily replaced. Any and all rates are greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for reading through all this and helping me out!

Roobushin is going to really fuck you up. He takes out 4 out of 6 pokemon on your team. Gliscor walls him up pretty well but, it he is no longer in play you just as well forfeit. I recommend switchin Burungeru out for Rankurusu.

Also, Walrein>Regice. Walrein has a way better typing.

On Genosekuto, Blizzard over Ice Beam. Its pretty obvious.

Walrein should be on this team. Its almost compulsory on Hail Stall. It has better overall bulk than Regice.

Knock Off on Tentacruel is quite useless. Try Haze if you really hate set up pokemon. Or Magic Coat, so that you can reflect status, taunt and entry hazards.

If you are worried about Abomasnow's survivability, maybe change Wood Hammer to something else because recoil hurts. Or you can special orientated and have Giga Drain, Blizzard and/or SubSeed. This is a stall team after all.

Apart from that, there is nothing else I should point out that hasn't been said.

Just a quick tip: For burungeru if you're going to run taunt, give this spread a shot, I made it and it's been working out pretty good:

Burungeru (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 156 SDef / 100 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Surf
- Taunt

100 Speed will allow you to outspeed 16 speed skarmory, and anything below base 70, which are what most of the common walls currently lay.

Good luck!

Walrein>Regice. Walrein has a way better typing.
Regice takes the same damage from a Fire Blast as Walrein, even though it's super effective against him. So typing is moot at this point, especially since Water typing gives you a shared Electric and Grass weakness with Burunkeru. The only thing that Walrein does better than Regice is take physical fighting attacks (good luck with that on either) and use niche moves like Super Fang.

Also, if you don't want to use Toxic on Regice, try Curse for a Defense boost (Defense Curl is illegal D:) and thus physical walling, or Rock Polish so that you can Sub in front of faster opponents with impunity.

Regice takes the same damage from a Fire Blast as Walrein, even though it's super effective against him. So typing is moot at this point, especially since Water typing gives you a shared Electric and Grass weakness with Burunkeru. The only thing that Walrein does better than Regice is take physical fighting attacks (good luck with that on either) and use niche moves like Super Fang.

Also, if you don't want to use Toxic on Regice, try Curse for a Defense boost (Defense Curl is illegal D:) and thus physical walling, or Rock Polish so that you can Sub in front of faster opponents with impunity.
True, but Burunkeru isn't doing much here. He really has no one to wall up Roobushin other than Gliscor.

Hello, cool team.

* Your team has a big weakness against Rock type attacks and Stealth Rock (Tentacruel can't spin it away every time). You also have nothing to absorb status (not counting Gliscor) and a paralysed Genosecuto or Toxic'ed Regice are pretty much worthless. You can solve both these problems by using a Roobushin. He can take pretty much every Rock type attack and with Guts he doesn't mind status as well. the Standard Bulk-Up set will be good enough as it not only boost Attack of Roobushin, his defence get better as well. Couple that with Drain Punch for recovery and Roobushin could even stall out oppossing threats it can't beat by abusing Toxic Spikes. Using Roobushin also provides you with a decent enough counter to Tyranitar and physical Lucario. Of course it is also a good counter against the Steel types you mentioned in your threatlist. This is the set:, Oh and I suggest this set instead of Regice.

Roobushin @ leftovers / adamant / guts
120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SpD

- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Payback / Stone Edge

* Since you entitled this team Hail stall, you might want to add some other entry hazards. Gliscor is a good user but you will have to give up Poison Heal. But since you also wanted a Phazer you could try defensive Garchomp instead. He has access to Stealth Rock and Dragon Tail (phazing move) so that might help your team. Garchomp actually has some pretty good bulk and makes a good wall as well. His typing and resistance to Fire makes him a good candidate for Hail teams. Just to bad that Stealth Rock is illegal with Rough Skin. Sand Veil does make it easier to counter opposing Sandstorm teams, using your opponent's own Sandstorm against him. This is the set I'm talking about:

Garchomp @ leftovers / jolly / sand veil
252 HP / 76 Def / 120 SDef / 60 Spe

- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Protect

* To help you a bit with your problems against opposing Rankurusu / Shinporaa you could go with a Mixed, Choice Scarf Sazandora instead of your Genesekuto. It has the movepool to use a good enough Wallbreaking set that counters a lot of opposing weather teams as well. Besides it has U-turn in it's arsenal to scout and to gain switch advantage. This set is what I'm talking about:

Sazandora @ choice scarf / mild / levitate

- U-turn
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Surf

I hope these suggestions helped and good luck with the team!

What happens if the enemy team leads with a slower weather user or saves on for later...
I have wanted to try an Iron ball on Abomasnow and take away all speed IV's and EV's as we as a -speed nature. The EV's can be moved to make him more survivable and you don't have to worry about rocks or sandstorm breaking your sash. Leech seed and protect will work great since it will give him some more staying power, force switches, scout, and priority protection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)