Hariyama

BulkUp Roobushin can be a huge problem for this set, though in practice you are mostly not going to use this set in Standard anyway, I guess. Personally, I think the GutsSleepTalk set might work out well in Gen 5 as well(Rest,Sleep Talk, BrickBreak, Stone Edge/Payback) with Life Orb will dent a big hole even in stuff like Natorei/EvoStoneTesshido/EvoStone Porygon2 etc.

I certainly think the GutsRestTalk set deserves a mention on the first post.

I'm guessing Roobushin pretty much outclasses Hariyama as a Bulk Up user? Roobushin has nice, rounded physical bulk and higher attack, while Hariyama just has assloads of HP. A shame, really. I really like the big sumo.

I feel he could still fill a tanking niche with Thick Fat, though. Gives him more things to switch in on, soak up the damage, then hit back hard with Close Combat or the like.

Hariyama niches now, in my opinion, are the phazing set (at least until Nageki gets Sleep Talk... well, Hari still has Thick Fat protection) and Guts+power abuse (you know, straight attacking with Close Combat. Roobushin lacks that. The same set can be applied as a lead with Fake Out).

The best i could think.

In case you didn't notice, Brick Break also has a side effect of breaking screens, which is nullified with Encourage but boosted by 30%. Brick Break has 75 base power while Force Palm has only 60, meaning to say Brick Break hits harder.
Confirmed Encourage gives a 1.3x boost to moves that have a less than 100% chance of a secondary effect when they hit, but prevents that effect from occurring.
Thick Fat means it's not entirely outclassed by Roobushin, but...

He can still find a niche in OU I imagine. You just need to make use of his toys that separate him from Machamp/Roobushin.

Hariyama @Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Nature: Bold
Ability: Thick Fat
~ Close Combat / Force Palm
~ Ice Punch
~ Stone Edge
~ Knock Off

If you use him in OU, you need to use his toys like Knock Off and Force Palm. Ice Punch and Stone Edge prevent him from getting walled to death by Gliscor and other fliers.

As this set mainly answers Doryuuzu, I put some calcs up:

369 Atk vs 240 Def & 492 HP (100 Base Power): 216 - 255 (43.90% - 51.83%)

That's an unboosted Earthquake on Jolly 252/252 Doryuuzu vs the spread I posted. Abysmal chance of a 2HKO. SD sets once again have an abysmal chance of a OHKO with a boosted EQ, and a Life Orb. Balloon sets die to this thing and can only manage a 3HKO, as it's mainly balloon variants that threaten my team. Now, as for Close Combat...

276 Atk vs 168 Def & 361 HP (120 Base Power): 422 - 500 (116.90% - 138.50%)

Not the most elegant solution, but it works. You might consider Encourage to boost the strength of Stone Edge and Ice Punch, and you definitely need it if you're running Force Palm to give him a much-needed boost, although sacrificing the paralysis chance isn't the best idea...

Not the most elegant solution, but it works. You might consider Encourage to boost the strength of Stone Edge and Ice Punch, and you definitely need it if you're running Force Palm to give him a much-needed boost, although sacrificing the paralysis chance isn't the best idea...
Small nitpick, Encourage will boost Rock Slide, not Stone Edge.

Also how does Hariyama get Ice Punch with Encourage?

Reiterating what has just been said, Rock Slide is just as strong as Stone Edge with Sheer Force boost and Ice Punch is illegal with Sheer Force.

The full list of legal Sheer Force boosted noteworhy moves Hariyama can use I believe are as follows.

-Force Palm
-Ankle Sweep
-Rock Slide
-Poison Jab

That is to say hardly anything. Its a dud ability because nothing of significance it boosts is actually learnable in 5th gen.

^Which is really silly. Togekiss is able to have Drain Punch but the Fighting-type sumo wrestler with gigantic fists can't learn it.

jrp

Banned deucer.
Lol does kiss even have fists?

He looks like he'll be the same as he was last gen, helpful but outclassed. Hell, even as a trick room sweeper, roobushin outclasses him. Roob also gets guts which boosts all of his attacks, not just chance effect ones.
Sadly, my favorite fighting type has been ruined this gen.

It really is a shame that Hariyama can't learn Drain Punch. Why…

I think Hariyama is best off going with Thick Fat. It's one of the few things that separates him from his bulky Fighting brethren, and it makes him a great Ttar and Heatran check. Besides, as Forsety said, his Sheer Force Options are limited. These calcs were posted over in the OP of the Hail discussion thread:

Assuming an Impish or Careful nature with an EV spread of 96 Atk/ 252 Def/ 160 SDef:

Impish Nature
Adamant Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge (100 Base Power) vs. 0/ 252 Def Hariyama (31.5% - 37.1%)
Choice Scarf Shanderra Overheat (140 Base Power) vs. 0/ 160 SDef Hariyama (33.8% - 40.1%)
Choice Scarf Heatran Fire Blast (120 Base Power) vs. 0/ 160 SDef Hariyama (27.5% - 32.9%)

Careful Nature
Adamant Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge (100 Base Power) vs. 0/ 252 Def Hariyama (34.5% - 40.6%)
Choice Scarf Shanderra Overheat (140 Base Power) vs. 0/ 160 SDef Hariyama (31% - 36.6%)
Choice Scarf Heatran Fire Blast (120 Base Power) vs. 0/ 160 SDef Hariyama (25.4% - 30.1%)

I'd say that's pretty damn impressive. Roob can't take that much punishment on the special side, even though most are running max SpDef last time I checked.

Dosukoi, my friends.

i would think hitmonchan is the uu equivalent of roopushin. with the boost to drain punch + iron fist, chan is a tad bit better but pretty much the same.
Hariyama will be a UU Guts Abuse Roopushin, Hitmonchan will be a UU DrainPunch Roopushin. Hariyama doesn't have Drain Punch (Maybe in Grey as a move tutor?), but does have Close Combat, Fake Out, and can actually go to work from the get-go without having to Bulk Up a few times.

In case you didn't notice, Brick Break also has a side effect of breaking screens, which is nullified with Encourage but boosted by 30%. Brick Break has 75 base power while Force Palm has only 60, meaning to say Brick Break hits harder.
brick break doesnt get boosted....and whats it got to do with breaking screens? Force Palm has chance of paralysing the opponent so after encourage it will be 90 BP so Force Palm hits harder.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79195
and it does not count crits, and negative effects inflicted by user.

Brute force/encourage only gives a 30% boost, I believe was stated earlier. Therfore, force palm is only 60*1.3= 78 power. I'd rather just thick fat and be a supporter than have such measly boosts :(

Brute force/encourage only gives a 30% boost, I believe was stated earlier. Therfore, force palm is only 60*1.3= 78 power. I'd rather just thick fat and be a supporter than have such measly boosts :(
You also get freebie Life Orb boosts, don't you? Still, Thick Fat is just a really nice boost with no drawback, so it's not a total loss.

Fake Out leads with Guts is something Roopushin can't do...but it isn't too useful out of the lead position without copious amounts of Wish support.

Lol does kiss even have fists?

He looks like he'll be the same as he was last gen, helpful but outclassed. Hell, even as a trick room sweeper, roobushin outclasses him. Roob also gets guts which boosts all of his attacks, not just chance effect ones.
Sadly, my favorite fighting type has been ruined this gen.
No, it punches with it's face. And Hari gets guts, too, it just doesn't have Roob's power

75*1.3(Sheer Force)*1.3(Life Orb)*1.5(STAB) = 190.125 which rounds down to 190 Power

And thats 190 Power with no LO recoil since Sheer Force negates it.

A Sheer Force Boost = 1.3*

A Sheer Force + Life Orb Boost = 1.69*

A Sheer Force + Life Orb + STAB Boost = 2.535*

Not really measly.

75*1.3(Sheer Force)*1.3(Life Orb)*1.5(STAB) = 190.125 which rounds down to 190 Power

And thats 190 Power with no LO recoil since Sheer Force negates it.

A Sheer Force Boost = 1.3*

A Sheer Force + Life Orb Boost = 1.69*

A Sheer Force + Life Orb + STAB Boost = 2.535*

Not really measly.
On the other hand, if you're going for pure power, a guts boosted Close Combat has 270 power (120*1.5(guts)*1.5(STAB)=270), though you do take damage from either your toxic or burn orb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)