Favorite board game

I hate monopoly. I always end up in jail lol.

My favorites are word games like Scrabble. I always spam complicated scientific terms that contain weird letters and win that way :)

Also, Apples to Apples is awesome, even though it's not technically a board game.
YES.
Too bad I never DON'T want to play videogames.

grrr i can't stand monopoly at all. you can always tell who's going to win based on who gets the good squares on the first lap. then it's either a cruise to victory or a hopeless spiral to your death.

cranium can be pretty fun if you can pull together at least six remotely smart people, which i've never been able to do. might be a good idea for a smocon!

but mostly, i'm a chess dude

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Does Scrabble count? I like that one.

Monopoly is maybe the only other board game I have ever really played multiple times. It's a shitty game, though. I think there are too many chance (luck) factors.

Risk.

Absolutely love it. I own three different versions and play it with my friends whenever I get the chance.

IMO we should open this thread to general hobby gaming, because there are only so many times we can say "I love scrabble ^^"

I agree completely with Dan, monopoly is one of the worst games I've ever played, you know who will win within the first 2 turns then spend two more hours slowly being strangled to death.

Has anyone here ever played Peurto Rico? I know it's a massively popular classic in the board game community, but I haven't gotten around to trying it.

My favorite board Game is prolly either chess or monopoly. So many different things can happen in both. Monopoly is more fun but chess is interesting to me because of the strategies involved and just skillfulness of a good game

I'm not a fan of monopoly or risk. I know they are classic, famous games, but luck creates 80% of the outcome. I could be a brilliant monopoly strategist, and land on boardwalk with a house on it and lose everything. Also, while playing risk my 1 army defeated my opponent's most powerful space of 30.

Anybody ever played Settlers of Catan? I started playing it during my lunch break with a few guys at work, and ever since, I've seen it all over the place -- people playing it waiting in line for movies, games, I see it at Borders, etc. It reminds me of Risk, but when I think about it, they're not that similar. It's a resource management game where the goal is to accumulate enough 'Victory Points' by building cities, defending your territory, etc. Totally dorky, but we have a good time with it.

Roy

streetpkmn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ticket to Ride is an excellent board game if any of you have heard of it. Monopoly is probably the best board game ever (I can name you the properties in order and how much they cost to purchase, no big deal). Stratego is fun and Backgammon is great too.

Pictureka! And Boggle is really fun (not a board game, I know), especially when I surpass my mum's intellectual abilities with words like sigil and combobulate (trust me, she is INCREDIBLY difficult to defeat).

The more I become involved in the "eurogames" the more I can't really stand luck as a factor. I used to love playing Settlers of Catan with my friends but now it just feels like a cluster fuck to me, everything is totally dependent on luck. Also I've found that I somehow can't lose at that game ?_? I haven't lost since my first three games, so it's boring like that. Monopoly is probably my least favorite game as the winner is decided randomly on the first few passes around the board by luck of landing on certain properties, then everyone has to wait for three hours while they get dominated.

My new favorite is a game called Small World, which is pretty much a tile/piece management war game, like risk, but without dice.

Cards>board games for me, but i love monopoly, scrabble and pictureka (I doubt a lot of people here know it).

In the cards department I can play anything with poker cards (and almost anything with cards), but i have to say my favorite is still yu-gi-oh

Smallworld is a really fun game but unless you have 5 people it just becomes one person dominating the other until they decline and the other person starts to dominate. This cycle then repeats for the whole game. Except for when I got flying skeletons and raped the board.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Once you play no arrangements barred monopoly it gets really addicting and awesome.

Percentages and immunities flying everywhere, it gets really complex late game.

Smallworld is a really fun game but unless you have 5 people it just becomes one person dominating the other until they decline and the other person starts to dominate. This cycle then repeats for the whole game. Except for when I got flying skeletons and raped the board.

See I think that's part of the fun, you have to decide exactly when you go into decline to pull that absurd domination out of your ass. Also I love gang fouling the person in the lead with the other players, cripples them hard. My favorite combination so far has been dragon taming skeletons, they're perfect with their fucking little hats.

I'm thinking of picking up some of the expansions some time

See I think that's part of the fun, you have to decide exactly when you go into decline to pull that absurd domination out of your ass. Also I love gang fouling the person in the lead with the other players, cripples them hard. My favorite combination so far has been dragon taming skeletons, they're perfect with their fucking little hats.

I'm thinking of picking up some of the expansions some time
The only reason I would buy expansions would be to replace the races that are clearly underpowered such as tritons and giants. Fucking 1 less person to invade a region next to a mountain that you own is too demanding with little reward.

:B

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)