Porygon-Z (Analysis) [QC 0/3]

At least suggest Bolt Beam, as it is still great and might be best depending on the rest of the team.

Also, is Chopple Berry and option? It can set up an Agility and get its +1 SpA boost, but then something like Breloom can come in and send Porygon-Z to oblivion.

And maybe as a lead it can Magic Coat some rocks and then use Hyper Beam as it's form of Explosion, but that seems a little unreliable.
Explosion would be preferable to Hyper Beam still, as it doesn't give your opponent a chance to set up. That's what made it ineffective last gen and it is what makes it ineffective this gen, even moreso.

At least suggest Bolt Beam, as it is still great and might be best depending on the rest of the team.

Also, is Chopple Berry and option? It can set up an Agility and get its +1 SpA boost, but then something like Breloom can come in and send Porygon-Z to oblivion.

And maybe as a lead it can Magic Coat some rocks and then use Hyper Beam as it's form of Explosion, but that seems a little unreliable.
Putting aside that Technician Breloom hasn't been released yet(that I know of), using Chople Berry instead of Life Orb is a big loss of power and it would probably be easier to remove the offending Fighting-types instead. For instance, even though Porygon-Z survives a Roobushin Mach Punch with a Chople Berry, the loss of Life Orb means that 120/136 Roobushin only takes 68.5 - 80.5% from your Modest +1 Tri Attack.

Aside from that, is it still feasible for Agility at all this gen? Mach Punchers are just one problem he has. Things like Burungeru and specially defensive Politoed stop you unless you run Thunderbolt over a Hidden Power, which makes you miss coverage. Choosing between Hidden Power Fighting and Fire means you'll have big trouble with of the top two pokemon(statisitcally) in Nattorei(takes an HP Fighting and Thunder Waves you, basically ending your sweep) and Tyranitar. Perhaps more importantly, you're forced to run Timid instead of Modest if you want to beat Jolly Dory in the sand(and I guess +Spe Kingdra in the rain but that's really rare), which is a huge power drop of 57 points. So...it's kinda bleak for Porygon-Z.

--Just pointing out that Uproar now has 10 more power points than tri attack making it the superior option unless you REALLY like the secondary effect of tri attack OR have a sleeper on your team like Breloom.

Uproar 90 base power > Tri-Attack 80 base power.

(according to serebii)

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
--Just pointing out that Uproar now has 10 more power points than tri attack making it the superior option unless you REALLY like the secondary effect of tri attack OR have a sleeper on your team like Breloom.

Uproar 90 base power > Tri-Attack 80 base power.

(according to serebii)
True, but Uproar also locks you into a Normal move...

oh, and gamemaster0000 he gets a stab on hyper beam, making it a 300 base power attack
I can totaly understand Hyper Beam on Porygon...but this isn't Porygon we're talking about now is it?

Also, there's an edit post button so remember that for next time.

On topic, I would give mention to Agility, Trick and Pain Split. Agility can be used as an option for sweeping. Trick is for those choice sets. Pain Split is usable but it's not recommended.

I know there's an edit button, but I found that people comment more when the thread is on the 1st page on the list.

I will make the edits you mentioned, although I already mentioned Trick in my Additional Comments in the Choice set, and sorry if my earlier comment made me sound like a jerk

I can't believe there's no agility set. Since stall teams are virtually nonexistent thanks to stuff like Reuniclus, agility is much better than NP to beat offensive teams. With Download, you can potentially have a sweeper with +2 speed and +1 SpA after one turn of setup, which is pretty devastating if you've wiped out certain threats to Porygon-Z's sweep, like conkeldurr and blissey.

Why doesn't Trick at least have a slash to Thunderbolt on the Specs set? A lot of Porygon-Z's switchins, such as Tyranitar, Blissey, Ferrothorn and especially Chansey, are hampered or crippled by it. Additionally, a lot of Thunderbolt's targets either don't like the Specs(Jellicent, SDef Skarmory) or are maimed by Tri Attack anyway(Gyarados, Vaporeon). It also doesn't give Excadrill or Garchomp a free turn.

It's there in the additional comments, Ubiquitous, you just have to read it. but your right it should be its own set, could we compromise and give it a slash with nasty plot instead?

Good point, ElCee, that shall be done

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's there in the additional comments, Ubiquitous, you just have to read it. but your right it should be its own set, could we compromise and give it a slash with nasty plot instead?
Yes, and you can name the set "+2" after the double boosts that Porygon-Z has. Alternatively, you can name it "Boosting". Agility was a formidable, if not slightly underrated, set last generation, so feel free to add it.

An agility set works really good with Porygon-Z I've used it for some time.
Item: Life Orb
Ev: Hp 132 Sp Atk 252 Spd 124
-Agility
-Tri Attack
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt / Darkpulse
This set works really good, Hp EVs allow him survive an attack with decent Hp left while pulling off an Agility to outspeed almost anything

Perhaps change the Specs set to a general Choice set with download. As with a massive base SpA and a scarf to deal with ts mediocre speed, Porygon-Z could function quite well as an inferior Shandera that isn't weak to Pursuit

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Advocating Masterful's words. No Choice Scarf set? Admittedly, that thing has surprised me a few times, even though it is to be expected in the fourth generation and the current one. Also, Ice Beam isn't getting enough praise. Sure, Tri Attack is dandy because of Adaptability and STAB, but it potentially misses out on a few KOes like a few notable defensive Dragon- and Ground-type threats (Specially Defensive Hippowdon and Latias). Dark Pulse is a bit arbitrary in some areas because of subpar coverage as well.

You guys aren't really letting me leave anything in the additional comments, are you?

I'll move the scarf to the main set, but can you please give me some more things to put in the additional comments?

You guys aren't really letting me leave anything in the additional comments, are you?

I'll move the scarf to the main set, but can you please give me some more things to put in the additional comments?
Sorry, but that's just Porygon-Z for you. Not too many options, and the ones that it has are pretty important

Bloo

Banned deucer.
Porygon-Z was deemed uncompetitive; look at SDS's post here. I feel like explaining myself as well, though, before moving this thread to L&O.

I talked this over with Seven Deadly Sins, Iconic, Eo Ut Mortus, and PK Gaming, and it was agreed on that Porygon-Z isn't viable in BW OU. Choice sets are ridiculously easy to counter; tons of things can switch-in on Tri Attack, such as Tyranitar, Jellicent, Ferrothorn, Terakion, Blissey, Chansey, and so on. All of these Pokemon are common and can easily take advatnage of a Porygon-Z locked into a single move. Agility sets are too easily revenge killed by Roobushin and Scizor. Porygon-Z can run Nasty Plot, but why would I use it when I could use other / better Nasty Plot users such as:

Thundurus
Has Mischievous Heart, is much faster, is resistant to Mach Punch and Bullet Punch, meaning it isn't revenge killed as easily as Porygon-Z is.

Mew

Also has Nasty Plot and is significantly more bulky than Porygon-Z / has better typing. Unlike Porygon-Z, it has access to Flamethrower, allowing it to torch Steels. Porygon-Z has to rely on HP Fighting to beat Tyranitar, while Mew has Aura Sphere. Lastly, mew gains STAB on Psycho Shock unlike Porygon-Z, making it easier for it bypass Blissey.

Celebi

Has more bulk and resistances, making it easier to set-up. Also has Giga Drain + Recover to keep it healthy (Porygon-Z has Recover, but it's too frail to use it and loses out on coverage).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)