Explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This explosion nerf basically ruins the move for a lot of pokemon, you are sacrificing a pokemon for the move it should be powerful... the sheer power of the move was the main reason it was used, and causes death to your opponent as well, but now it is something that bliss can take and softboil it off. but bliss is definitely not worry free, there are some very capable, very powerful physical attackers that can destroy blissey.

I just think a trump-card, sacrificial move should give power like a trump-card should.

I wouldn't say it's completely unviable but yeah the nerf hurt it good, I've lived through some explosions with non-resisting pokes that I couldn't have before. Add in teams running Reflect and it's even weaker. It's nice not having to worry about packing like 2 steels and a ghost or a damp pokemon so you don't get automatically rocked by it anymore though. I just wish they would have nerfed it in multi-battles only and left it alone in singles.

This explosion nerf basically ruins the move for a lot of pokemon, you are sacrificing a pokemon for the move it should be powerful... the sheer power of the move was the main reason it was used, and causes death to your opponent as well, but now it is something that bliss can take and softboil it off. but bliss is definitely not worry free, there are some very capable, very powerful physical attackers that can destroy blissey.

I just think a trump-card, sacrificial move should give power like a trump-card should.

It still has base 250 pwr. That's still strong. It's just not broken strong any more.

Would you guys say that Gigalith or Nattorei is stronger for explosion? Nattorei could stay in a little longer, and then go out with explosion. Whereas it might be too risky to keep Gigalith in too long?

Nattorei shouldn't use explosion, he's so sturdy that if he does get defeated, it's usually in a situation where he doesn't have a chance to use explosion anyway. Usually due to fire moves or STAB fighting.

Gigalith could be used as a suicide lead with a priority berry once it gets released(unless it already has), but until then, not much point using explosion either.

Nattorei shouldn't use explosion, he's so sturdy that if he does get defeated, it's usually in a situation where he doesn't have a chance to use explosion anyway. Usually due to fire moves or STAB fighting.

Gigalith could be used as a suicide lead with a priority berry once it gets released(unless it already has), but until then, not much point using explosion either.
Thanks for the great tips! :)

It still has base 250 pwr. That's still strong. It's just not broken strong any more.
However, the opportunity cost to using it is far more off-setting than in Gen IV. 250 is only 40 more BP than STAB Draco Meteor, and Dragon gets better coverage than Normal. STAB V-Create hits harder than non-Lickilicky Explosion. Both DM and VC offer the chance to switch back in. Explosion does not. There are things about that strong that have less costs to using them-hence, nobody uses Explosion in Gen V except noobs, people who like gimmicks, and possibly Lickilicky.

That's the thing, it should be broken strong. You instantly lose a pokemon if you use it, so the payoff should be exceedingly high.
Considering the fact there are moves like Memento (high price, low payoff) I'm not surprised in the least that Explosion got brought down to this level.

Considering the fact there are moves like Memento (high price, low payoff) I'm not surprised in the least that Explosion got brought down to this level.
Memento's payoff is a bit limited in its use, but in the right situation, it was always far better than what Explosion is now.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Memento would almost always guarantee a turn of setup. Explosion would almost always guarantee taking out a problematic opponent. Now it doesn't.

So, Explosion:

is now just the last resort move against boosted sweeper when all else fails

makes stealth rock leads like metagross and azelf much less scarier

is only recommended on metagross, licklickity, and snorlax

and with prevalance of fighting pokes, meaning more ghost pokes, it has now diminished this hell weapon into nothing but crap. :P

I welcome this change... as much as I love to go out with a bang... I think we all recognize this was a bit overpowered last gen.

Eh; the nerf in power really does suck. I've tried using it a couple of times, but Explosion is just so underwhelming now; things that I could've OHKO'd with it before, just fall short now.
I agree (with everyone else that said so) that it shouldn't have been nerfed like this. I mean, if you're pokemon faints after you use it, then you expect something pretty good in return, right?

Grr. I used to like Explosion. :P

Yeah I rarely see Explosion anymore and it's clear why. That one last shot when you're almost fainted can be replaced with a much-less situational move.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I remember a post about how someone's team got destroyed by a Helping Hand Normal Gem Explosion Metagross in a triple battle. The two Pokemon out besides Metagross both had Telepathy (Musharna and Beheeyem maybe?).

Explosion is still useful to getting a free switch for a sweeper or set-upper of another kind, along with dealing some damage too.

I remember a post about how someone's team got destroyed by a Helping Hand Normal Gem Explosion Metagross in a triple battle. The two Pokemon out besides Metagross both had Telepathy (Musharna and Beheeyem maybe?).
That seems a bit excessive don't you think? You'd think that just HH+Gem would be enough to waste the enemy team. I would think it would be better to set up screens or something with the last pokemon but I'm not sure.

^ Or use a ghost?
I'm not enjoying the nerf. So many times with lead Azelf I'll think I'll have a clean k.o. which ends up... Underwhelming.

I really need a new lead :/ haha

However, the opportunity cost to using it is far more off-setting than in Gen IV. 250 is only 40 more BP than STAB Draco Meteor, and Dragon gets better coverage than Normal. STAB V-Create hits harder than non-Lickilicky Explosion. Both DM and VC offer the chance to switch back in. Explosion does not. There are things about that strong that have less costs to using them-hence, nobody uses Explosion in Gen V except noobs, people who like gimmicks, and possibly Lickilicky.
The nerf makes it used more like how it was supposed to be used- Go out with a bang when you're about to die anyways. Imo, people using it from full health in Gen IV was just... retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)