Find X

One of the University of Chicago's college essay prompts has really interested me lately. Not only because I am going to apply in the coming months but also because it is just so intriguing. The prompt is very simple. "Find X" or "Define X". Obviously, this is the University of Chicago's way of finding out how creative their applicants are. Rather than give a traditional essay prompt, they gave this thing. There are a lot of different ways to go about answering this question. I figured this question would be something fun to discuss.

Find X.

I know someone who actually drew a Pythagorean theorem problem like that for the prompt.

Also, I'm pretty sure they have other prompts to do. You know, in case creativity isn't your thing.

Rather than be a smartass about it I'd probably look into the symbolism of the letter X, research its effects across history, and write a detailed analysis about it.

Or if I didn't think I'd get accepted I'd nerd out about X-men :P

Are they asking for a mathematical pronumeral 'x' and its history, or the damn letter.
'x' and 'squiggly x'

their essay questions are confusing. i mean if you give a response thats a picture of a triangle with a hypotenuse circled what does that really tell them about you? maybe you have a sense of humor and don't have a stick up your ass. but maybe it means you have a rebellious streak that will make you hard to work with in a team/classroom setting. what about a response that nerds out about the history of the letter x? it could mean you're really intellectually curious, or it could mean you're completely socially inept and cannot read between the lines in communication. i guess they want to get a "feel" for you with the essay but they also want to get you out of your comfort zone and away from pre-polished/bullshitted prompts. based on that, my recommendation would be to answer it in a way that you feel shows off the aspect of you that is most appealing to a college (obvious, no?). it's pretty hilarious to tell your friends "hahahaha check out this picture i drew for my uchicago essay" but i wouldn't take that risk because i don't know what the admissions officer will think when they see my badassery on their computer. these are just my thoughts on the matter; obviously not canon and should be taken with a grain of salt. but i do go to the school :)

anyways i know that wasn't the point of the thread, so... i'd probably write something about all the different ways to interpret "find x", more of a metadiscussion of the question rather than actually answering the question. that's just because i feel like i wouldn't be able to actually write a page on actually "finding x" without sounding like a boring history paper. maybe discuss how the varying ways to interpret the statement show that there is lots of "knowledge" in the world that has yet to be discovered. or something about intellectual curiosity and "finding the next x". that's actually similar to the prompt i chose when i applied (unfortunately i can't find the exact prompt; this is the third time i've wanted to see what i wrote after i submitted the app).

so what's your interpretation of the question? and why are you looking at applications so early o_ o

X-scissor is a bug type move with 80 base power and 15 PP. It has a higher critical hit ratio than most attacks.

X-men are homosexuals if homosexuals had amazing superpowers.

X marks the spot.

X is a letter of the alphabet.

X is commonly used in math.

I actually wrote this essay. In about 1.5 MS word pages double spaced, I wrote how I couldn't find x without a context. It was an odd bit of writing as it was written in an academic style, yet incorporated (shitty) bits of humor. The main thing I can remember is that "without an alphabet, (something), or treasure map, I am incapable of finding x."

I was accepted, but they offered me literally nothing in financial aid, and I'll be damned if I pay 60000 a year.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Several of my friends this year applied to UChicago and a few got in. I would never actually go because it is "where fun goes to die."

Anyway, if I were to have applied, I probably would've wrote something about Pokemon and what it takes to win, something with the combination of a team + luck + a few more items + X and the conquest to find X (which is probably the community but w/e). Never actually applied though so it's all moot.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
b cause that is quite a task.

but i can c where you are cuming from.
Fi()ed

Anyway, I'm kind of disappointed I didn't have this creative of an essay for a college app. Creative writing is kind of my specialty, and its so much more entertaining than "What makes you qualified for our school?"

I say have a little fun with it, but make it witty smart humor, not the shit that's in this thread.

i would probably weave a tale about Letterbeard The Pirate or some such drivel and how he goes for buried treasure and only ends up finding a stupid letter

their essay questions are confusing. i mean if you give a response thats a picture of a triangle with a hypotenuse circled what does that really tell them about you? maybe you have a sense of humor and don't have a stick up your ass. but maybe it means you have a rebellious streak that will make you hard to work with in a team/classroom setting.
I would really like to see someone with the guts to do that, especially if it means a chance at (I assume) a top university

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
I'd write a story about star wars and how luke's lightsaber / crosses with darth vader's \

Or do something else imagery based, since i'd find that the most fun way to approach the prompt.

I would write a whole essay on a random topic, and then at the end state:
"there is one letter x in this essay. Find it. The answer is on the next following page."
The x, of course, is in the last sentence.

X-scissor is a bug type move with 80 base power and 15 PP. It has a higher critical hit ratio than most attacks.

X-men are homosexuals if homosexuals had amazing superpowers.

X marks the spot.

X is a letter of the alphabet.

X is commonly used in math.
X is what you should have clicked, not 'submit reply'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)