Reuniclus

Honestly I never viewed Excadrill as "paper thin" but I think the fact that he never invests in his defenses and he always has a Jolly or Adament nature that there is an obvious difference between the two pokemon when comparing their defenses. Also, Excadrill has life orb recoil and is weak against 3 priority attack moves (2 common fighting, 1 water).

Also, Reuniclus has Calm Mind and Recover, 2 things which help his survivability substantially. And lets not forget magic guard which takes away chip damage of sand storm or toxic or burn... His Physical Defense is negligible though, but with a bold nature with 252 HP/252 Def, it puts him at 273 defense... about comparable to a neutral 0/0 105 base defense.

That may be so, but he has a point. One of the reasons why people were calling Reuniclus broken was because "OMG it haz no counters!" but a lot of things are good/ decent counters to Reuniclus that people never think of.

Previously in this thread, I mentioned that Houndoom and Scyther do a huge number on it and someone said that was a reason WHY it was broken, because I had to resort to using NU Pokemon to beat it. Just W.T.F.
Standard LO Houndoom Dark Pulse vs 252HP/Def Bold Rankurusu: 77.8% - 92%
LO Rankurusu Focus Blast vs Houndoom: 112.7% - 132.6%
Rankurusu beats Houndoom one on one despite the serious disadvantage in typing and ev spread focused on taking physicall hits.

Scyther 'might' win when facing ideal conditions, but don't count on it

Also if you're so damn smarter than everyone by using pokemon 'nobody thinks of' why are you nowhere near the top of the ladder?

Also if you're so damn smarter than everyone by using pokemon 'nobody thinks of' why are you nowhere near the top of the ladder?
Nice, attacking someone because they aren't as good as you at pokemon. Also, what part of his post said that he's smarter than everyone else?

Just shut the fuck up and talk about the damn Reuniclus.

Better yet, I saw this one nutjob on the ladder run Shadow Ball and Focus Blast without Psychic, which I guess isn't so crazy if you don't care about beating Roopushin. Just don't start crying if you get 2HKOed by Stone Edge and all you have left is physical attackers.
In all honesty its not a TERRIBLE idea to not use your main STAB. Who in their right mind would send out a fighting type against Reuniclus? No one! Because they fear they'll be torn apart by Psychic. So, chances are you'll never even get to use Psychic on anything that is weak against it, because smart people will Switch. Might as well take Shadow Ball to kill opposing Reuniclus (slowly but surely) or other threats I suppose. I don't even run a water move on my Rapid Spin starmie because everyone switches out if they can be killed by water attacks.

BUT one horrendous downside of not running a STAB attack, even though its 100% predictable to run them, is that if it all comes down to Reuniclus and a fighting type. They opponent suspects they're gonna lose...BUT you can't win because you don't have Psychic to kill them! Thats happened to my Water-less Starmie a few times. (And also sometimes a neutral Psychic+STAB might be just enough to kill a random Pokemon.) Running or not running Psychic both have pros and cons so both methods are perfectly sane and not only done by..."nutjobs." XD

Nice, attacking someone because they aren't as good as you at pokemon. Also, what part of his post said that he's smarter than everyone else?

Just shut the fuck up and talk about the damn Reuniclus.
Thank you for the lecture in manners Mr. fuck you all

Also your last sentence is quite ironic considering your post

Running or not running Psychic both have pros and cons so both methods are perfectly sane and not only done by..."nutjobs." XD
I disagree, Reuniclus can easily beat most psychics even if they resist both it's attacking moves. Even against opposing Rankurusu Psycho Shock does just as well as Shadow Ball.
Therefore i'd say running Psychic/Psycho Shock is preferable in nearly every situation.

excuse me if someone already stated this, but isnt spiritomb a good counter to reuniclus? it is not effected by psychic or focus blast, and i cant see HP fire doing very much to it.

excuse me if someone already stated this, but isnt spiritomb a good counter to reuniclus? it is not effected by psychic or focus blast, and i cant see HP fire doing very much to it.
That's true, unfortunatly Spiritomb is kind of dead weight against teams not carrying Rankurusu

i dont think a bulky ghost with no weaknesses and a handfull of immunities is dead weight.
Believe me, I love Spiritomb and use him quite often... However with power creep, he really isn't as bulky as it seems anymore. Also he doesn't quite have the power to cut it anymore either. He fits a nice niche in this meta countering some valid threats, but he really is dead weight unless hes filling that specific purpose you need. Otherwise, he is fodder.

Seems to me like the main reason people are so upset about Reuniclus is because it fucks with your precious stall teams. So you would rather ban it than, oh, I don't know, put one of its many counters in one of your stall teams (As its been said before, Spritomb is a great choice). If smogon makes Reuniclus uber, i get the feeling many many people will shift away from smogon.

Deal with the change. :toast:

TR versions tend to run Shadow Ball, but they can't boost their attack and Spiritomb can just use Sucker Punch/Pain Split on it.

One thing I've found after some playing is that although Reuniclus is bulky, he's so slow that he can't exactly switch into take multiple boosted hits over a match, because he may not be able to recover off the damage in time. It's like, you need to bring him on something that doesn't deal more than, say, 30-40% so you can safely Recover/Calm Mind as they switch out. Get him in like this, and he sure is beastly, but you kind of need to keep him in at that point unless they bring in a good counter and your Reuniclus is still somewhat healthy. Get him to low health and he's almost dead weight because he can't recover or attack before you kill him.

^ Well, there's always dual screen support. In my current team, I have my Tabunne set up screens and trickroom, and then switch Reuniclus (preferably into a fighting attack) and start wreaking havoc. With screens and Regenerator (and Tabunne wish support), I don't even use Recover.

Which brings us to another topic: Is Regenerator completely outclassed by Magic Guard? I personally prefer Regenerator so that I could drop Recover and have TR/3attacks.

Magic Guard protects against all residual damage, from status damage to entry hazards to weather, and it's the defining thing that makes Reuniclus a stall-breaker.

Seems to me like the main reason people are so upset about Reuniclus is because it fucks with your precious stall teams. So you would rather ban it than, oh, I don't know, put one of its many counters in one of your stall teams (As its been said before, Spritomb is a great choice). If smogon makes Reuniclus uber, i get the feeling many many people will shift away from smogon.

Deal with the change. :toast:
There never has been any mass leave because smogon banned a pokemon.

Also if you manage to get a rating of 1450 with Spiritomb in your team, than you get my eternal respect. Seeing as it it is fucking impossible with that crap on your team

Regenerator wouldn't be awful on a TR sweeper, but with Magic Guard negating Life Orb recoil and hazard damage, it seems more useful no matter what set you're running...

It seems that once again people have decided to vote Reuniclus OU. I wouldn't be surprised if one of its best counters, Escavalier, showed up more often now that you don't have to worry about a Blaziken coming in on your CB Megahorn.

i dont think a bulky ghost with no weaknesses and a handfull of immunities is dead weight.
That would be true if Jellicent didn't exist, but it does. Jelly has a better (IMO) ability, better defenses, better typing, access to Recover and STAB Scald. It outclasses Spiritomb in almost all situations. I swear if anyone responds to this with one or two situations in which Tomb is more useful I will not respond. Please make coherent arguments.

Even outside of Spiritomb, there are checks to Reuniclus, ie 2 faster, hard hitting sweepers. Batter it with the first one, and it won't have time to recover against the second.

Other "hard" checks include CBGross, Escavalier, Scizor, Tyranitar, CMJirachi, etc.

CM Reuniclus rarely, if ever, gives me trouble outside of when I play stall. 2 powerful physical (or special if Reuniclus has not accumulated multiple CMs prior) attackers can easily take it out when attacking right after each other, as with its low speed, Reuniclus can't really recover off the damage done by one poke after taking it out.

Is the move recover a good choice with CM? And what would the other attacking move be next to physic, Shadow ball or Focus blast?

You should always be using recover with the CM set.

Most people pick Focus Blast because it offers infinitely better coverage at the cost of sweep-ending accuracy alongside his poor speed, but shadow ball hits spiritomb (if your opponent is using spiritomb you're probably winning anyway though).

Also Psychock is arguably better than Psychic because it allows you to win CM wars.

A Breloom could also counter Reuniclus assuming it has no status ailments already. Just switch in on a predicted CM and Spore since your faster. Then proceed to Sub and slowly break it down with Seed Bomb. If it switches out, you still have a Sub and can Focus Punch something to oblivion. Reuniclus being asleep also means that it's practically dead weight for the rest of the match due to the new sleep mechanics.

Tricking Reuniclus a Scarf is the best way to beat it IMO. Not only does it become useless once it's tricked, it also is turned into setup fodder so that's worth kudos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)