VGC 2011 Team

The primary focus of this team, is to set up Trick Room and hopefully keep it maintained long enough to just obliterate any speed team that I may come up against.

Reuniclus (Morpha) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Quiet [+Sp.Atk/-Speed]
EVs: +172HP / +32Def / +252Sp.Atk / +52Sp.Def
-Trick Room
-Psyshock
-Shadow Ball
-Protect
~~First pokemon in team so as to set up Trick Room. Primarily boosted in HP and Sp.Atk to try and allow it to live after the first attack, and set up Trick Room on first turn, and the following turn it can counter with LO Psyshock/Shadow Ball without suffering from HP reduction due to Magic Guard Ability. Other EVs set in Def and Sp.Def to give it an extra edge against those nasty types that do the most work against it. Protect is chosen in case of dangerous enemies that are weak to Earthquake, so Gigalith can feel free to use it without worrying about Reuniclus taking a hit.~~

Vanilluxe (Freezard) @ Icy Rock
Ability: Ice Body
Nature: Sassy [+Sp.Def/-Speed]
EVs: +252Sp.Atk / +104Sp.Def / +152HP
-Hail
-Blizzard
-Iron Defense
-Flash Cannon
~~Can be sent out with Reuniclus to set up Hail, healing itself with Ice Body and Reuniclus taking no damage with Magic Guard. Even though Vanilluxe is the fastest pokemon on my team, it will not suffer from Trick Room, as it will have no EVs placed into Speed category, to make sure that it stays slower than its opponents. Blizzard is attached spefically because of its 100% Accuracy during Hail, and Icy Rock is equipped to make sure that Vanilluxe can have full effectiveness with its maxed 8 PP in Blizzard and KO any threatening Dragons that appear. Iron Defense is to make up for the lack of Defensive EVs, and Flash Cannon is to take out any pesky Rock types that show up.~~

Gigalith (Armos) @ Normal Gem
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Brave [+Atk/-Speed]
EVs: +252Atk / +100HP / +152Def
-Stealth Rock
-Explosion
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
~~Can be sent out with Reuniclus instead of Vanilluxe to establish Stealth Rock. Abysmally low base speed will ensure that Gigalith strikes first during Trick Room as long as opponent does not use priority moves, but sturdy will help to make sure that no matter what happens, unless targeted by both foes at once, he will survive long enough to establish Stealth Rock. Rock Slide and Earthquake will be the primary moves used in offense to cripple fellow Earthquake users. Explosion is used as the last resort option, powered by a Normal Gem to hopefully take out any defenses that aren't resistant/immune to normal, and potentially protect partner pokemon.~~

Eelektross (Bari-Bari) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest [+Sp.Atk/-Atk]
EVs: +252HP / +252Sp.Atk / +4Def
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Acid Spray
-Grass Knot
~~Eelektross will be the primary defense against most other types, as this moveset protects against Water, Flying, Bug, Grass, Ice, Bug, Ground and Rock types, and by having the Expert Belt, the moves will damage even more, making sure that they kill. Acid Spray can be used in conjunction with other teammates (Vanilluxe, Reuniclus and Jellicent) to make sure their special attacks dish out more damage with each hit. Primary EVs are set in HP and Sp.Atk to hopefully ensure longevity and strength.~~

Conkeldurr (Biggoron) @ Shell Bell
Ability: Guts
Nature: Adamant [+Atk/-Sp.Atk]
EVs: +252HP / +252Atk / +4Sp.Def
-Mach Punch
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Payback
~~From what I've read, this is a pretty typical setup for Conkeldurr, minus the Shell Bell. Payback is really the only move that does not fully work with the Trick Room active, but can be used during the first turn if sent out with Reuniclus to punish would-be attackers, or early Ghost/Psychic types. The HP EVs will hopefully keep him alive long enough to get a substitute in, and with the moderate maximum HP, along with the Shell Bell combined with his huge attack stat, he can continue to abuse SubPunch like a boss. Mach Punch is in effect to knock out a potential Steel/Dark type if paired with Gigalith/Reuniclus, respectively.~~

Jellicent (King Zora) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Sassy [+Sp.Def/-Speed]
EVs: +204HP / +160Sp.Atk / +144Sp.Def
-Scald
-Hex
-Ice Beam
-Recover
~~Jellicent's primary purpose is to tie up any loose ends in the typing category, and to prevent a spinner from removing SR from the field. Ice Beam is used to cover potential Dragons and eliminate Grass types. Hex is included to get rid of pesky Ghosts, and with Scald's potential to burn, be used to triple its original base power combined with STAB and its effect. Recover is combined with Leftovers to constantly help increase Jellicent's lifespan with the large amount of HP and Sp.Def EVs. I decided on giving EV priority to SP.Atk, rather than Sp.Def because his Sp.Def is naturally higher than his Sp.Atk. Also, if Gigalith is already in battle, switching to Jellicent (with Water Absorb) will Heal and save Gigalith at the same time.~~

Using Marriland's team builder, I have noticed that the major threats come from Grass (x2), Fighting (x2), Ghost (x2), Dark (x2) and Steel (x2), with the Dark and Steel/Fighting targeting Reuniclus/Jellicent and Vanilluxe/Gigalith, respectively.

This is the 2nd team idea I have come up with for a **Gen 5 ONLY** competitive team. The first one I came up with was poorly put together, and was positively ruined in the Battle Subway, and the way I see it, if I can't beat a bunch of lowly NPCs, then what chance do I have against people who have spent countless hours, or even days, perfecting their teams?

I want any and all feedback, positive or negative, to help my team shine. I really want to do better this year than I did in last year's HGSS tournament.

Well, kudos to you for using unusual Pokes but I really can't see IceCream-mon being that good. Your Conkeldurr set is a bit weird, you should run guts with flame orb using mach punch, hammer arm/drain punch, payback/rockslide, protect. Jellicent should have water spout with max hp and spA and you can also have it as a secondary Trick Roomer.

Also, testing your teams on the Battle Subway isn't a good idea since you'll always get haxraped and they usually don't run any good strategies. The SkarmBliss server on PO is usually the place to practice VGC.

I have to point this out: Stealth Rock is USELESS on a VGC team. Smart opponents rarely switch, and it will only affect two pokemon if they do. The last time I said this, I was watching someone use it, and they lost quite horribly.

Also, Amoonguss rapes your team inside and outside of Trick Room. It will outspeed every member of your team in TR and put it to sleep with Spore. Outside of TR, it tanks and destroys. Now to address your Vanilluxe... replace this. With your own Amoonguss. Sorry for spoiling your different team, but the reason everyone runs Amoonguss is because it works. Or at least wait until it puts one of your pokemon to sleep, then retreat it for Conkers, who is just walled by Amoonguss. Sorry, but Amoonguss is a foreseeable problem that all teams must be able to deal.

Apart from that, I agree with Splendiferous's suggestions.

Hope I Helped!

Well, kudos to you for using unusual Pokes but I really can't see IceCream-mon being that good. Your Conkeldurr set is a bit weird, you should run guts with flame orb using mach punch, hammer arm/drain punch, payback/rockslide, protect. Jellicent should have water spout with max hp and spA and you can also have it as a secondary Trick Roomer.

Also, testing your teams on the Battle Subway isn't a good idea since you'll always get haxraped and they usually don't run any good strategies. The SkarmBliss server on PO is usually the place to practice VGC.
Having double STAB on conkeldurr is a waste. Facade is much better. 140 BPx1.5 for the guts boost=KO everything who's neutral to Normal type and is not named Amoonguss.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)