2011 Music

to post-metal: lento's icon is a pretty solid album, and koloss's debut end of the chayot is solid as well. definitely worth picking up if you're into post-metal.

The Tuneyards (aka Merrill Garbus) released her sophomore album today, whokill. I've been a fan since her debut and she considerably upped the ante with this one (it leaked a couple weeks ago though so I've been listening for awhile, even pre-ordered the album). While she did all the production and instruments herself on her first album, she worked in a studio with other musicians for this one, and while her debut was great the way it was, this did a nice job of bringing out her talents in a new way. A very unique blend of styles and sounds on this album with a strong, confident delivery. One of my favorites of the year, along with PJ Harvey's Let England Shake and The Weeknd's House of Balloons.

i have doubts that anything will top cold cave's cherish the light years. on first listen it was the most offensive thing i had ever heard, but repeated listens warmed me up until a certain passion enkindled and i realized that this is the most honest album i have ever heard, even though it's painfully self-congratulatory and lyrically comparable to a 14 year old girl's diary at times. the fact that wes went from being in a seminal hardcore band to making shit like this just boggles my mind (even stranger is that the girl is from mika miko, aka teenage girls making super fun punk music), but i can't say i'm complaining. i do miss the lo-fi feel of the trees grew emotions and died (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psvq60njm0w), but this is just so... so soul-baring. love comes close went halfway and seemed mildly disingenuous at times, but cherish the light years is a veritable pop masterpiece. he is not a very good singer, nor a very good lyricist, but he fucking means it, and nothing so far this year has touched me quite like this album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMZHdPb5Lxk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRt-IzBXdNY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE0ZGYi9204&feature=related

the three best tracks on the album, in my opinion. the great pan is dead is so triumphant that it could rouse fallen warriors. if you had told me last year i would be shouting along to lyrics like 'they said the meek shall inherit the earth/ my god that seems like so much work' i would have called you a fucking twerp, but lo and behold, i was proven wrong by underworld usa. other songs have gems like 'seasons change and passions change but i live in a city with no seasons or passions at all/its awful' AAAAAAAAAA

this album completely redefined music for me, in that i never realized sheer candor could turn an album from mediocre, anguished synthpop into what i expect to be a seminal 10's album.

fuck everything you know about punk, 3 black dudes were churning out nonpareil shit like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sFMDL22bxc&feature=related back in 1974. sadly, they refused to change their terrifying name, causing them to fall into obscurity. for the whole world to see got a wide release in 2009 and spiritual/mental/physical just got released in january.

i can't find much from it on youtube, but it is very important that you listen to this album. it isn't quite as good as for the whole world to see but nothing really could be.

I am glad that this new album came out. I've been a fan of PTH since their first album, Kezia, and this is definitely a great band with a ton of talent. Whether you're a fan of their genre or not, these guys are amazing and they did a good job on this new album for sure.

C'est La Vie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z29basl7Lcs

I won't be disappointed, or surprised, if none of you like them.

Wasn't a big fan of Scurrilous. It's not that it's hard to listen to, because I can make it through without going "I NEED TO STOP THIS, NOW." but there weren't any moments that made me go 'wow' and a handful of them I did find a little bit grating. Really sad when Kezia was one of my favourite albums of all time.

uhhh what have i got since smogon went down.

foo fighters - wasting light
kurouma - 3
leaves' eyes - meredead
this will destroy you - tunnel blanket

all of which have been very good. i think meredead may be leaves' eyes's most interesting album but i'm unsure. 3 was yet another good post-metal album. the other two need some more listens.

May seems like it will be the best month this year, at least for me.

Simple Math - Manchester Orchestra
All Things Bright and Beautiful - Owl City
Born This Way - Lady Gaga
Speed of Darkness - Flogging Molly
Eclipse - Journey
In Your Dreams - Stevie Nicks

And hopefully Dragonforce's new album, scheduled for September this year, won't sound the same as their previous albums...

i doubt it's even a grower.

seether are releasing a new album called holding onto strings better left to fray, and preordering starts now. it's tempting...

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've really been enjoying Lykke Li's new album. It's so...dark. Gewd.
I like your taste, from what I could garner from your rateyourmusic profile; I'll give this Lykke Li a listen.

Uhhh I'd recommend anyone who liked Battles in the past to listen to Gloss Drop, their new album.

that Death band seem to have a really coherent/tight sound, but really repetitive and going nowhere...sad since it sounds like they had the talent to be better than that, but bad songwriting can ruin any band

There is something about this album cover I just really love.
perhaps it is the bad posing, the terrible eye makeup, or the terrible lipstick; who can know but you?

that Death band seem to have a really coherent/tight sound, but really repetitive and going nowhere...sad since it sounds like they had the talent to be better than that, but bad songwriting can ruin any band
wow, just because they're black? that's fucking childish

I have no idea how you read that into that. I said a good thing about a band, then a bad thing about a band. I explained why the sound and band were a failure, and you called me a racist. I do not think I can ever respect anything about you after this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)